We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

We hardly knew (Wii) U

Go down 
+8
gjones
The_Jaster
JayMoyles
ZeroJones
Balladeer
Buskalilly
The Cappuccino Kid
masofdas
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 3 EmptySun 16 Oct 2016 - 16:09

I think the Wii U was just at the wrong time and wrong place, more then anything being near the end of the last gen and before the current gen and part from Nintendo games not really offering much.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 3 EmptySun 16 Oct 2016 - 16:35

I love the Wii U Gamepad.

Did Nintendo do a crap job of marketing it? Undoubtedly.
Did developers do a terrible job of utilising it? Inevitably.

The thing is, even for games that didn't really use it, it felt just like a normal controller to me. And if nothing else, it could have a map, or the menus, or off-TV play. I don't really think it had a downside.

But when it was used. Oh my. Games like Mario Chase, Tanks! Tanks! Tanks! and Artist used the idea of asynchronous multiplayer phenomenally. I think, other than Wii Sports, the Wii U has been better than the Wii for providing fun, party multiplayer games. When I say party, I don't mean crap minigame collection, I mean games I would pull out at an actual party. Big groups, booze, gamers and non-gamers playing together. Nobody can fail to have fun and grow closer to the people they're playing with when Spin the Bottle: Bumpy's Party gets busted out.

Zombi U was made immeasurably more tense by splitting things over two screens (and had a fun multiplayer idea I wish had been expanded on). Pikmin 3 and Splatoon both took the idea of a map on the gamepad and turned it into a massive feature. Little Inferno, for me, isn't the same without the big screen showing the results of your arson.

And even when it wasn't being used to change the way we game, which was fine, off-TV play was a godsend. No latency, a great screen, and a near-instant switch. Being able to game while something was on the TV was a godsend. It could only be bettered if, I don't know . . . I could take it away with me? Winky Face

Last edited by Drunkalilly on Sun 16 Oct 2016 - 16:36; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : "crap" job, not crab. Those damn crabs! They must know Guesstus Flask is coming back.)
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 3 EmptySun 16 Oct 2016 - 18:24

I'm with Drunka here.  In fact, the Gamepad might well be my favourite controller ever.  Complaints about its bulkiness and weight were ever-present: did I have a different controller to everyone else, or have I been secretly wearing Power Bracelets the entire time?  I had no problem with it, the buttons were all in nice places, and where games/apps. did find ways to use the dual screen and touch screen, it was shown for the piece of game-enhancing (probably not game-changing) tech. it might have been.

Trouble was, by focussing on it, Nintendo chuffed their message up at an early stage, and it was used well (for anything beyond a map or Off-TV) in about ten games total. Also it was seemingly too expensive to mass-produce separately, meaning no Four Swords U.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 3 EmptyMon 17 Oct 2016 - 10:31

The gamepad is fine to use and surprisingly comfortable. For the few games that make full use of it it does offer some great innovative uses, and off-tv play is nice.

But christ is it ugly. Properly fisher price design Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 3 EmptyMon 17 Oct 2016 - 11:13

Umm... no?
It's lovely. It looks slick and nice. Sure, it's a little curvier and friendlier than a lot of tech, but being approachable isn't a bad thing. Sony and Microsoft aren't cool for bring out blocky black boxes with sharp lines, they're total edgelords.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 3 EmptyMon 17 Oct 2016 - 11:20

*puts Sony and Microsoft are total edgelords in the tagline backlog*
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 3 EmptyMon 17 Oct 2016 - 12:19

I loved the Gamepad design and while some games weren't ideal for Off-TV play (Ninja Gaiden 3 literally cramped my style) it became my default way of playing for over a year. It was a home-based handheld that was something nobody really wanted but plenty of us will miss if the NX does away with this design (rumours suggest it won't). The Gamepad was also solid and I could confidentally let my (then) 3 year old jab away at the screen on the Pikmin mini-game in Nintendo Land without fear of a scratched screen.

Agree with Drunka also regarding local multiplayer. The wife and I had many hilarious hours on Game & Wario's Pictionary game - perfect Christmas gaming.

It's just a shame the consoles have held their value as I'd have probably picked one up again, especially given most of the good stuff is available on the Selects range.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 3 EmptyMon 17 Oct 2016 - 12:41

I'm surprised by the continued strong price, given the naff-all software destined for it.

ZeroJones wrote:
Sony and Microsoft aren't cool for bring out blocky black boxes with sharp lines, they're total edgelords.

Applause (And also to Zero.)

I've never really thought about how it looks. Not important to me. Bit of the Apples? Which isn't a bad thing.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 3 EmptyMon 17 Oct 2016 - 12:45

The launch PS4 and Xbox One S are gorgeous though.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 3 EmptyMon 17 Oct 2016 - 13:29

The screen is the main culprit - it's not a very good screen resolution/quality wise, but its also got that hard-wearing kid-friendly thing going, especially with it being set into the gamepad rather than flush/flat across the top (like a Vita or most tablets/phones). The screen just looks really plasticy rather than being clear glass. It's why I always play on the TV rather than playing more off TV - the screen just isn't nice to use.

I'm also all about that hard line angular edge
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 3 EmptyMon 17 Oct 2016 - 16:49

With hindsight, the product description for the Wii U on Amazon is good fun. Have a swatch here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Wii-8GB-Basic-Pack/dp/B004Y59P3A/ref=sr_1_4?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1476718696&sr=1-4&keywords=wii+u

Some arsehole wrote:

Each Wii U console will be paired with a new groundbreaking controller, with its 6.2-inch wide screen. Previously, video games played on a home consoles have been confined to the TV and offered identical viewpoints to each player in a multiplayer environment. The Wii U controller enhances that experience with different viewpoints available in-game and in differing games/game situations. Also, watching TV and playing console games have been completely separate experiences. The new controller removes these boundaries, creating a more dynamic and fluid gaming and entertainment experience.

You could probably count the number of games and apps that made good on that promise on just your fingers and toes. On topic, I thought that GamePad was okay, I didn't love or hate it, or ever really feel that it was anything other than occasionally useful.

Also:

Some arsehole wrote:

The Wii console has sold more than 86 million units globally and greatly expanded the overall audience for video games. Wii U aims to expand that audience even further.

It also says that we can except DiRT in the software line-up. DiRT!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 3 EmptyMon 17 Oct 2016 - 22:10

I mean, I'm sure one person must have bought a Wii U who didn't buy a Wii, so I guess it kind of expanded the market . . .
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 3 EmptyTue 18 Oct 2016 - 21:13

I love the GamePad's Off-TV-ness; I'm more than happy with its ergonomics; I usually like the dual-screen implementations. I HATE THE RUMBLE. There's no point in having the volume off on the 'Pad, as you have an angry fly yelling at you 24/7. Donkey Kong 64 (which of course wasn't designed for this particular rumble) is especially irritating.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 3 EmptyTue 18 Oct 2016 - 21:34

I'd all but forgotten how obnoxiously loud the Wii U's rumble was.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 3 EmptySat 22 Oct 2016 - 11:19

Drunkalilly wrote:
I'd all but forgotten how obnoxiously loud the Wii U's rumble was.

VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. VVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEE. VV. VVVV. VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 3 EmptyMon 24 Oct 2016 - 12:57

I'm not sure I've ever even noticed the gamepad rumble

Like if you asked me I wouldn't even be able to tell you if it had it
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 3 EmptyTue 25 Oct 2016 - 14:50

It was a horrid noise when playing Bayo 2 as it seemed to rumble every second.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 3 EmptyFri 11 Nov 2016 - 10:39

Well it's seems Nintendo have finally admitted production of the Wii U has ended without actually saying so.

This was a post from Nintendo of America after the Nintendo of Japan posted on their website:

As recently posted by Nintendo on the Wii U website in Japan, Wii U production will end in the near future for the Japanese domestic market. We have nothing to announce in terms of exact timing.

We can confirm that as of today, all Wii U hardware that will be made available in the North American market for this fiscal year has already been shipped to our retail partners. We encourage anyone who wants Wii U to communicate with their preferred retail outlet to monitor availability.

Nintendo only planned to sell 800k this fiscal year and most would be in Japan, that I think it is very much if you want a Wii U get one now, only thing is they are still £274 on Amazon with MK8 and Splatoon.

Which I find staggering after 4 years the system has barely dropped in price which I think shows its quality but was never going to attract new customers when for instance you can buy a Xbox One for £180 New with games.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

We hardly knew (Wii) U
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3