We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen?

Go down 
+9
Crumpy Andy
Balladeer
ZeroJones
The_Jaster
The Cappuccino Kid
Jimbob
Buskalilly
gjones
masofdas
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen?   New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen? - Page 4 EmptyWed 17 May 2017 - 21:25

It's a quad post Embarrassed but first in 6 months.

You all know Scorpio is coming and will be the most powerful console on the market and to go beyond generations. This lead analysts / insiders to go PS5 is coming in 2018, now it has a chance of happening as PS4 would be 5 years old but with numerous first party titles not even dated and PS4 still selling 18 Million a year, I just can't see why it would happen so soon.

Sure they could have development move over and I would think Sony would continue with the same sort of architecture going forward to have backwards compatibly.

Now this evening a trusted source on gaf has posted about Destiny 2 and how it will run, that the PS4 & PC versions will support cross-save and it will be optimised for PS4 Pro, Scorpio and Next PS4.

Some are thinking Next PS4 is PS5 but they can't say that, some are thinking that as Destiny has this 10 year plan (which we are 3 years in to) they're future proofing themselves.

I'm also spectating but these analysts / insiders likely know something and I think PS5 seems daft for next year but a PS4 better then a Pro and even Scorpio wouldn't as much. It would do what the analysts reckon Sony will do bring out a more powerful system then Scorpio, keeps the PS4 ecosystem going and push towards 100 million, won't start a new generation to early.

As a PS4 Pro owner, I can see a few things they could do improve it with a Pro+ like every game being basically 2160p 60fps as standard, UHD Player, less noisy and maybe a bigger HDD if this is meant for the hardcore of the hardcore who will likely buy a lot of games.

The only thing I can see with all this is both companies just coming down to a dick wagging contest as Scorpio will be more powerful then Pro but then the Pro+ will be more powerful then Scorpio then the Scorpio S will be more powerful then the PRO+ and will just go around and around or in-till one goes PS5 or Xbox Two then they'll will get super versions of those as well.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen?   New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen? - Page 4 EmptyWed 17 May 2017 - 21:47

Will it ever end? Surely there's a limit to what we can actually 'see' with our human eyes? Also, the cost of 2160p 60fps development will surely be astronomical.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen?   New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen? - Page 4 EmptyWed 17 May 2017 - 21:53

Lot of PC games run at those settings at the moment and even some games on Pro like NBA 2k17 runs at that already but some like Final Fantasy XV is 1800p 30fps with checkerboarding and even though MS are saying Scorpio will be true 4K, likes of Digital Foundry have said that won't be true from sources including the hands on with Forza.

It will continue Zero, we know as well Tokyo Olympics will be filmed in 8k and some films are at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen?   New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen? - Page 4 EmptyThu 18 May 2017 - 19:04

ZeroJones wrote:
Will it ever end? Surely there's a limit to what we can actually 'see' with our human eyes? Also, the cost of 2160p 60fps development will surely be astronomical.

This is my line, which you've seen before and will no doubt say again. Who actually gives a toss at this point, apart from the fanboys waving their pathetic little... numbers at each other?

As I said in my BotW piece, if you want that level of graphics, go outside. It may not be as interesting as games, but if you really care about games being 2160p 60fps 100ºC then you're clearly not fussed about interesting things in any case.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen?   New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen? - Page 4 EmptyThu 18 May 2017 - 20:02

I own a Pro and bought because I got it cheap and up-till Horizon, I may have agreed with you but Horizon it utterly ridiculous looking and may even add to the game a little as makes the world feel more alive.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen?   New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen? - Page 4 EmptyThu 18 May 2017 - 21:36

I'm at the stage - conveniently for my wallet - where the graphical improvements that are coming are getting to a point where any improvement is negligible in my eyes. I barely notice a difference between 720p and 1080p, and whilst I do appreciate the jump to 60fps in most game, it's by no means a dealbreaker.

Having said that, I do own a PS4 Pro so maybe I'm still a mug. Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen?   New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen? - Page 4 EmptyThu 18 May 2017 - 21:49

I guess you are using the Pro on a 1080p TV, how you finding it as in-till I got my 4KTV, I did think their wasn't much difference part from a few games which I had played on my PS4 but I wouldn't have known the likes of The Last Guardian has framerate issues on PS4 unless someone told me as I only ever played on a Pro.

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen?   New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen? - Page 4 EmptyThu 18 May 2017 - 21:54

A rarely-seen picture of Jay:

New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen? - Page 4 10927994-9884346962975308
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen?   New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen? - Page 4 EmptyThu 18 May 2017 - 23:19

But where will this graphical frogs race end?!
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen?   New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen? - Page 4 EmptyThu 18 May 2017 - 23:25

I know it won't happen but it sure would be nice if they just tried mastering 1080p 60 fps first.

Jay wrote:
I barely notice a difference between 720p and 1080p

Also this.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen?   New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen? - Page 4 EmptyFri 19 May 2017 - 0:01

masofdas wrote:
I guess you are using the Pro on a 1080p TV, how you finding it...

Yeah, until I eventually upgrade to a 4K TV - whenever that may be - I doubt I'll be seeing any benefit from my Pro. That's an interesting point you brought up about not noticing any performance issues though. I could be getting a real benefit from some games and not have a clue. I suppose that needs to be better marketed from Sony as to what games are enhanced by having a PS4 Pro.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen?   New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen? - Page 4 EmptyFri 19 May 2017 - 17:15

I don't know how you guys can't notice difference, I'll have my mate Mr Elba to show you.
New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen? - Page 4 Luther-Resolution-Large

Or is like me not noticing performance gains as how often to you actually play anything or view anything 720p any more that isn't a Switch or a phone screen where the size of the screen compensates the lower resolution.

A lot of games are 1080p 60fps though Jas, when they need to be such as a game like Rainbow Six Siege.

I guess they don't market it as much as if you're suddenly saying The Last Guardian drops into the 20s on a normal PS4, it doens't look good. They have have just done advert with Pro games like GT Sport, WipEout etc though
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen?   New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen? - Page 4 EmptyFri 19 May 2017 - 18:25

That's definitely easier to notice with a picture but I wonder if you sit folk down with a game that's 1080p but tell them it's 4k not many would pick up on it.

(I also wonder if that pic is exaggerated to make a point)

mas wrote:
A lot of games are 1080p 60fps though Jas, when they need to be such as a game like Rainbow Six Siege.

I know a lot are but my point was it isn't the standard for every game.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen?   New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen? - Page 4 EmptyFri 19 May 2017 - 18:29

Hopefully as were a good few years into a genartion, games start to have more of a standard to them.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen?   New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen? - Page 4 EmptyFri 19 May 2017 - 19:42

Yep, that picture is definitely exaggerated. Move each column up one to the left and you're probably closer to being accurate. 480p games don't look like a pixellated mess.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen?   New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen? - Page 4 EmptyFri 19 May 2017 - 19:45

I don't know I was watching E4 last night live and not on 4player, I've not not got Sky HD which meant watching it in SD (480p as got it running via HDMI) and it looks pretty awful.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen?   New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen? - Page 4 EmptyFri 19 May 2017 - 20:46

If you're running a 480p signal through a screen designed for 4k or even 1080p then of course it'll look bad.

Tbh, I'm not interested in 4k as things stand. I'm sure it's nice but I'm no spending a ton of money on a screen plus machine to output in 4k just to make my nice looking toys look nicer. It's ahead of its time currently anyway because whose internet can even steam in 4k?
Always this: Style>>>>>> fidelity
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen?   New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen? - Page 4 EmptyFri 19 May 2017 - 20:57

I've not really got another option though, not going to have another TV for watching things in SD. I agree it is a future thing but you try getting a TV now, new which hasn't got 4k (I'm thinking decent size like 46" and above) it's hard as when I was trying to figure out a price for my old one, I had nothing to compare it to.

It will be a slow up take as the jump not as big as SD to HD and not uses 4K that you don't need to go upgrade but eventually it will sort of become the norm then it be all about 8k.

And I've been streaming Netflix & Prime in 4K Dolby HDR perfectly fine.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen?   New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen? - Page 4 EmptySat 20 May 2017 - 2:02

mas wrote:
eventually it will sort of become the norm then it be all about 8k.

Nah m8 it's VR dats da futur.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen?   New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen? - Page 4 EmptySat 20 May 2017 - 13:15

Could still but the kinks need to be ironed out and will companies keep investing to do that? Where 4K is just there.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen?   New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen? - Page 4 EmptySun 21 May 2017 - 10:34

masofdas wrote:
New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen? - Page 4 Luther-Resolution-Large
No.

EDIT: Sorry, I should be a bit less abrupt than that - but that would only be true if you were looking at a thumbnail of Luther in the corner of your Sky+ menu. I do appreciate the difference between SD and HD, but after that, it's not worth worrying about. I can't tell the difference between 720p/1080p, and I am convinced 4K is just a waste of everyone's time.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen?   New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen? - Page 4 EmptySun 21 May 2017 - 13:55

I just can't see how people can't see the difference between 720p and 1080p, when it quite clear to see but how often are we doing that though.

We don't have screens side-by-side and most times games at the worst run at 900p not 720p.

On 4K, Jim you might be right but Horizon Zero Dawn it stupidly beautiful and numerous companies have 4K things that I can see it just becoming the thing.

Buy a New TB it be 4K, PS5 be 4K out the box etc
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen?   New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen? - Page 4 EmptySun 21 May 2017 - 16:25

Speaking only for myself, but this is why I imagine most people cannot see the difference:

I don't play a game in one resolution while also having a direct reference to a different resolution available simultaneously

Like, I played MGS V on my supercomputer at 1080p, 60fps, ultra settings. It was a beaut, phwoar. Then I watched Victorian Strongman, Drunkalilly, play some MGS V on his Xbox One. I could instantly tell the difference in frame rate and general fidelity. Then, some 2 minutes later, my brain had adjusted and I felt like I was looking at my supercomputer display again. Of course I knew I was looking at an "inferior" display of the game, but that wasn't in my conscious foreground. When it came to my turn to have a little go everything within the Xbox presentation was consistent enough that I didn't have any problems.

The bottom line is. Yes, if you get a dood to take a close look at side-by-sides I think almost everyone is going to see the difference. However, that's not how anyone plays their games unless they're some frame rate/resolution warhawk.

This is precisely why I always get a little irritated by any frame rate, resolution, or graphics setting comparison. It has a vastly more limited real world application than said articles would have their readers believe.

Last edited by Muss on Sun 21 May 2017 - 16:30; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen?   New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen? - Page 4 EmptySun 21 May 2017 - 16:28

I don't think anyone here is debating that 4K has become "the thing" (Not you John Carpenter, sit doon) the point is not many people on the whole are ready for it yet, so basically it's a luxury at the minute not a necessity.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen?   New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen? - Page 4 EmptySun 21 May 2017 - 16:31

I sort of agree it is and it isn't, not something most will go out and go buy but something if you are on the market for a new TV it be there, just like HD was back in 2005 (I'm using this date as this is when I got a HDTV).  

@Muss have you seen how many people want MS to keep the framerate counter on Scorpio?

Still a 4K console is coming from MS and Sony may have a better version of Pro or PS5 might be sooner then we think.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen?   New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen? - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

New consoles from the big three, madness or brilliant? (Now with added Scorpio & Neo!) This the last gen?
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next