We've tried beers, they taste like beers.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Empty
PostSubject: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice   Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice EmptyThu 4 Apr 2019 - 1:05

...this probably should have had its own thread by this point. Laughing

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice HxANpQ24rkyA8sfUyGmFsP

I fancied making a thread as some of the best parts of From's games in my opinion is talking about secrets you found with mates and sharing your progress throughout the game. Using a guide or an FAQ ruins the magic, somewhat.

How's everybody getting on with the game then? Is this Miyazaki's magnum opus in your opinion or a hobbled samurai limping towards mediocrity? Or what's your take on the "needs an easy mode" debate?

For me, after beating a boss which I'll chat about in a spoiler box below, this might just be the best game from the folks at From to date. The world design has been improved upon by introducing the grapple mechanic which makes for some great vertacality in levels, the movement and traversal within the levels is more varied than its ever been and the combat, once you get the hang of it, is easily the best out of any of From's work post Demon's Souls.

As for that boss...

Midgame boss spoiler... if you don't know who I'm on about, all I'll say is roof rematch:
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice   Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice EmptyThu 4 Apr 2019 - 19:16

I definitely agree that the combat is certainly the best of any From soft game, it just has so much depth to it and as you progress you always feel like you are learning with each new enemy or boss you encounter.....oh and the posture system is just an absolutely genius mechanic & the game wouldn't be the same without it.

Not sure where it'll sit in my favourite From soft games just yet but I can say it's far and away my favourite game this year.

EDIT: Also this was a good early article on Sekiro from Keza MacDonald

https://kotaku.com/sekiro-is-way-better-when-you-stop-playing-it-like-a-so-1833545053
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice   Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice EmptySat 6 Apr 2019 - 21:32

I've not played Bloodborne so that's a big gap in my From playthrough, but I'm rating this higher than any of the Souls games thus far. The combat is so much more engaging than Souls in my book.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice   Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice EmptySun 7 Apr 2019 - 20:15

Now that I'm 50 plus hours into this & at seemingly on the road to the end of the game I have to say that the story in this is superb! It does the classic From soft thing of you having to piece certain things together through item descriptions etc giving the world a rich history and thus makes it more believable but alongside that you also have a more linear story being told.

I honestly thought they'd struggle by having you play as a fleshed out character with their own motives & even though Wolf starts out as a stereotypical strong silent type he has become one of my favourite characters in video games.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice   Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice EmptyWed 10 Apr 2019 - 0:44

This is definitely the most transparent From game in regards to its storytelling, which is a refreshing change of pace. I'm enjoying having characters who you can have a nice chinwag with as opposed to the silent protagonist of From's previous works.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice   Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice EmptyThu 18 Apr 2019 - 14:10

FFS, you spend one season not following games and then this comes out. I'll have to pick it up over easter.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice   Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice EmptyFri 19 Apr 2019 - 22:22

It's definitely worth picking up, Muss. It took a bit of time to adjust to playing a different style of combat than how I'd usually play through Souls, but now that it's clicked I'll find it difficult to move back to tankier and slower style of fighting in Souls. Parrying and rushing down enemies is just too much fun.

I think I'm nearing the end of my first run on Sekiro - it feels that way, at least!
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice   Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice EmptySat 20 Apr 2019 - 9:02

I much prefer the faster bloodborne combat to dark souls so that sounds good to me. Going to be my next console game after dad of war.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice   Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice EmptySat 20 Apr 2019 - 15:35

It's even different to Bloodborne as well though since that game still has you dodging away from enemies where Sekiro wants you to stand & fight, dodging is still there obviously but it's done mostly to try counter hit enemies rather than move away from them.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice   Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice EmptySat 20 Apr 2019 - 17:42

I'm tragic at parrying so this'll be interesting
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice   Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice EmptySat 20 Apr 2019 - 17:45

The window is more generous than a Dark souls parry so you might be fine.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice   Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice EmptySun 21 Apr 2019 - 19:16

Muss wrote:
I'm tragic at parrying so this'll be interesting

So was I, to be fair, but after a bit of trial by fire with one of the tougher bosses in Sekiro, I feel a lot more confident and like Jas said, there's a bigger margin for error compared to Souls.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice   Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice EmptyThu 30 May 2019 - 23:59

Double post!

I went back to this tonight after a good month or so away from it - there was a wee spell of getting my ass kicked, but muscle memory kicked in and I'm back on track.

Until I hit a big fiery roadblock.

Very Late-Game Optional Boss Spoilers:

Onwards to the end, at least!
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice   Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice EmptyFri 31 May 2019 - 10:40

Aye I had a very similar experience with that boss, I absolutely love it from a lore perspective but I remember tweeting out that it completely goes against the design philosophy of the game in fact it's the one boss in Sekiro where it helps if you fight it like you're playing Dark souls.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice   Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice EmptySat 1 Jun 2019 - 0:26

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. I didn't even lock on - I just focused on circling around to its back and hitting its arse like it was the fucking Asylum Demon or something. Laughing
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice   Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice EmptySat 1 Jun 2019 - 12:34

Oh I still locked on but just kept my distance by abusing the sprint & only went in for my hits when I knew it was safe, my final hits were even with the shuriken I think.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice   Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice EmptySun 2 Jun 2019 - 18:25

I beat it! I fired up the game late last night intending only to give the final boss a few cracks before turning in, but after I found myself reaching the final phase after a few goes, I stuck it out and eventually won the day!

Final Boss Thoughts:
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice   Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice EmptySun 2 Jun 2019 - 18:50

Congrats!

Final boss spoilers:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice   Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Empty

Back to top Go down

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Page 1 of 1