We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts

Go down 
+11
masofdas
The Cappuccino Kid
JayMoyles
The_Jaster
Kriken
Muss
Treesmurf
Rum
Crumpy Andy
OrangeRakoon
Jimbob
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40
AuthorMessage
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 40 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 40 Empty17/09/21, 10:29 pm

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
@treesmurf I thought Chicory sounded class, but that part where you've said that it's basically top-down Zelda has put me right off Sad

Hey everyone, it's yer boy Treesmurf, I'm back again to try and do my words on Chicory justice because I definitely ballsed it up a little. So it's top down Zelda in terms of perspective and moving from screen to screen but gameplay is probably quite different, the brush itself is controlled independently from the character and is pretty much like you're painting by hand, the small parts of combat that feature are enjoyable enough because they're not over done and there isn't at any point any kind of "what do I do now?" moments that you get with the top down Zelda games.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 40 Empty18/09/21, 01:55 am

Balladeer wrote:
Rum wrote:
So basically, the battles are reminiscent of the Tales series, and the exploration and affinities are reminiscent of Xenoblade.

Even if I find the comment about frame rate drops a tad concerning in a game that doesn't look like it moves mountains visually, this alone means I should probably get around to playing it at some point.

I mean, this applies to Ys VIII too, but I'm not sure if either are slick enough for you! Don't go in expecting the world and you might have a nice time. Or just buy a PS4 and play it on that.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 40 Empty20/09/21, 05:12 pm

Chicory is on my PSN wish list and maybe will pick up alongside Kena, like if I find a good deal on PSN credit.

Anyway I finished

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 40 R.4c6a3cba81488799f36ccf44a29389e1?rik=CUc%2baDhXDpTDyw&riu=http%3a%2f%2fgamebomb.ru%2ffiles%2fgalleries%2f001%2f0%2f04%2f365696

I bought Mayo 2 ages ago but never been able to play and had a spare hour this morning before a phone call, so thought I'd get around to playing it. It's a dumb fun easy platinum, of seeing the mayo jar all dressed up and the silly backgrounds.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 40 Empty25/09/21, 08:44 am

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 40 H2x1_NSwitch_WarioWareGetItTogether_image1600w

Collecting my thoughts from various threads, on the whole I think WarioWare: Get It Together! is a fun and energetic effort that’s a welcome return, but it stops short of the series’ usual brilliance. I know I just said on the other page that it’s not as inventive or as silly as previous games, but it can definitely still raise a smile.

As its biggest strength, I’ll compliment the concerted effort that the developers have made to make Get It Together! as replayable as possible. WarioWare’s big problem has always been its lifespan in solo play, but the volume of collectable presents, the amount of customisation for your crew members and particularly the weekly online Wario Cup challenges will greatly help extend its longevity. Building on this, given that there’s at least eighteen ways to play each microgame makes me think that all of Get It Together’s ingenious little touches won’t be discovered for a long time to come. In its community, I’m confident that WarioWare: Get It Together will have staying power.

The character-swapping gimmick is the root of most of the game’s issues. Frankly, I think this is a game that needed a gimmick more than a gimmick that needed a game (if that makes sense?). I think the complexity with which some characters control versus how handicapped and plain-better others are just makes things more unbalanced and less immediate. I’m certain that there’s microgames here that are unbeatable with particular characters, which makes Get It Together! feel poorly designed and ill-thought-out at times. Granted, the next microgame is only ever five seconds away and you can always choose to ignore those awkward and unwieldy crew members, but it’s jarring and annoying nonetheless.

‘A good WarioWare game but not a great one’ indeed. It still entertained me, but I really think Get It Together! really needed a stronger and properly new Switch-centric gimmick. For me, it’s very disappointing that Get It Together makes no good use of the Switch’s unique features. Because of this, it feels quite straight-laced and conservative when put next to the likes of Twisted!, Snapped! and Smooth Moves. I feel that a more interesting hook was pretty necessary to cover up the fact that there’s not a whole lot of innovation on display and that there’s a bit less imagination with the microgames. I hate to say it, but on this evidence I feel that this eighteen-year-old series might be starting to tire out…7/10.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 40 Empty27/09/21, 11:05 am

I would argue the battles are a lot better than any Tales game I've played. I'll always play an Ys over a Tales.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 40 Empty27/09/21, 01:50 pm

I really should give a Ys ago at somepoint, especially if you prefer over Tales which I always say I like but really it's just two games in the series.
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 40 Empty27/09/21, 10:16 pm

Crumpy Andy wrote:
I would argue the battles are a lot better than any Tales game I've played. I'll always play an Ys over a Tales.

Yeah, I think I'd agree with you actually. They feel a lot more dynamic.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 40 Empty27/09/21, 10:28 pm

I would agree that WWGiT's battle system feels a lot better than Tales games'.  

I had a relatively chunky post prepared and then I lost it. Hissy fit Basically: Touched had toys and minigames to unlock instead of customisation options, and I was a lot more excited to unlock a bouncy creme caramel than I would be to unlock a new colour of jumpsuit for 18-Volt.  I agree that it feels like the series is in a bit of a rut, after this, a remix, and a pretty egregious misstep.  Some serious rethinking required.

Also: I'm going to suggest that picture of Mayo 2, for a one-line review, could have been shrunk a fair bit.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 40 Empty29/09/21, 09:42 pm

No Mayo 2 should have the biggest image on the forum ever

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 40 Sable

Just finished what I would say was an anticipated indie game for Xbox in Sable, based of E3 Showcase type things reactions over the years. Sable as a game is a bit of a neat concept where it's sort just one giant side quest to lead into the one main quest of completing Sable's Gliding, which is sort a mix of Rumspringa/Bat Mitzvah where you need to get a mask of your choice.

That's how it's all one side quest do the ones you want to get a mask (I got three of them) you want to then complete your Gliding. The problem with Sable is even on the Series X it runs at about 15fps which I'm sure was giving me a headache, it's buggy, the cool art style looks great in the image I'm using however sometimes like in caves will look awful, the camera is atrocious, which lets down something that could have been like a Journey to a meh maybe give a play because its on Game Pass, but I wouldn't buy till the bugs are fixed then some like the art style is a choice.

Soundtrack is also good.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 40 Empty29/09/21, 10:41 pm

Shame to hear the performance issues made your experience worse there Mas. Always though Sable looked pretty in screenshots and a bit ropey in motion, to be fair.

I finished a couple of games recently.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 40 G5EUpYM

I can't say I was chomping at the bit to play this initially considering its somewhat lukewarm reaction from large swathes of people that have played it, but I decided it was worth playing the one mainline Zelda title that I've not actually got around to and you know what... I'm glad I did!

Despite some initial struggles with the controls and the combat, I found myself enjoying my time with Link, Zelda, Groose and the rest immensely. Having come from the purposefully subversive Breath of the Wild, there was something refreshing about having a more traditional 3D Zelda to tuck into. I enjoyed pretty much every dungeon that the game had to offer and I think I'd stack some of the dungeons in this game up with the series's best. A lot of past Zelda titles had an unfortunate habit of having the player only rely on the item they found in that dungeon to solve said dungeon's puzzles, but I found myself swapping items regularly to traverse through each zone and the dungeon that followed. Most of the items were winners too, with only the Gust Bellows sucking the air out of the room from time to time.

The game ran like a dream too with a silky smooth framerate throughout and a bright and vivid colour palette that really made the world shine. Despite being a ten year old Wii game, it didn't come across that way to me. A big part of the presentation's appeal comes from its soundtrack, of course. The fully orchestrated themes lent some much appreciated bombast to the boss battles and action scenes and helped contrast with the quieter moments, like when Link first meets Fi. Coming from a more muted soundtrack (albeit purposefully so) in BotW, I really enjoyed hearing the classic Zelda tunes in this.

Still, that's not to say the game was without its faults. I've posted about how I really disliked having to traverse across the sky to reach each zone. It's incredibly sparse and beyond hitting the few speed boost rings dotted across the clouds, it feels slow and ultimately frustrating to spend time flying around. You just want to get to the next zone quicker as there's nothing to distract you on the way to your destination, which isn't what you want from an overworld in my opinion. I also think there's some pacing issues structurally, as having to revisit each zone a third time to collect the parts of the Hero's Song at the end of the game was a bit tiresome and padded the runtime in my books.

But yeah, I don't see this as being the disaster for the series like some corners of the Internet - if anything, I think this outshines some of the other 3D Zelda games I've played. Thoroughly recommended.

I also finished...

Deltarune: Chapter Two

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 40 WSUuky7

Toby Fox with a team and a budget is a man to be feared.

Following on from the first chapter, it's clear to see that Chapter Two is far more ambitious in scope. More detailed environments, cool little battle animations and some properly clever battles (the secret big shot superboss in Chapter Two is an ace example of this) are prevalent throughout the journey, all capped off with Toby Fox's trademark cheeky writing style and phenomenal soundtrack. I was never not having a good time with this chapter and whilst it's a chunkier offering than Chapter One, it's still a pretty brief few hours of an adventure.

I'll delve into some more spoilery thoughts within the game's thread, but I will say the only slight weak point of Chapter Two is that there's no total standout character like Chapter One's loveable goof Lancer, but the writing and characters are still of a strong quality throughout.

I'm genuinely interested to see how this is going to look once it's totally finished as if it keeps up, that position I gave Undertale somewhat haphazardly in my top games of all time list a few years back could easily be held by a finished Deltarune. Even if you've not played Undertale, I'd suggest checking out the first two chapters of this. I reckon the vast majority of folks here would get on with it, and if not, hey, it's free so you lost nothing but time, I suppose!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 40 Empty29/09/21, 11:05 pm

Did you purposefully go for those screenshots Jay? Naughty That's a mighty claim about Deltarune, and I reckon there's a smidgeon of the 'I've just finished Undertale's about it... but we'll see I suppose!

No 3D Zelda is a disaster.* There are some weaker games, but anything more than that that is pessimistic hyperbole.  I'd say they're all 8/10 or better.  Absolutely magical stonking sub-series.

*It strikes me that this can be read in two ways. Both are correct.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 40 Empty29/09/21, 11:20 pm

I took those screenshots myself fully intending to use them for my review screenshot Laughing
I've got a Switch library of screenshots and little videos of moments that amuse me and I was thinking of recording myself going through them once the Switch reaches the end of its lifespan.

I should highlight I'm only saying that about a finished Deltarune, not the game at its current stage. But the framework is there for a properly special journey once its all said and done. And you've got to also remember this is coming from someone with Mother 3 as their all time favourite title and is starving for something even remotely similar!

I purposefully abstained from using scores on those reviews, but if I was pushed I'd give Skyward Sword a score in the high 80s.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 40 Empty30/09/21, 04:34 am

I enjoyed those write-ups Jay . . .

JayMoyles wrote:
if I was pushed I'd give Skyward Sword a score in the high 80s.

Ruined it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan Online
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 40 Empty30/09/21, 10:21 pm

Knew someone would bite at that for either being too high or too low. Laughing

Having tried writing mini-reviews both with scores and without them in this thread, I think I definitely prefer omitting the score. Nobody remembers what's written and just chats about the score otherwise! Although, that's not so much a problem here as we're all good lads who read each other's posts, but more so in the wider games reviewing landscape.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 40 Empty01/10/21, 11:00 am

I just wait till end of the year to put scores to all mine, as know Balla likes the scores and a bit of ranking for them.

I know we do our votes etc but if I replayed OoT that wouldn't be in year end vote.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 40 Empty01/10/21, 12:12 pm

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 40 Humankind-PC-Controls-Beginners-Guide-768x402

I finished a game of Hoomankind yesterday. TL;DR: it's a Civ game about guiding a Neolithic tribe all the way through to the modern age whilst gaining the most victory fame points. If you have no interest in that genre then move right along, nothing to see here. For those of you who do like Civ games, or board games really, then this is actually really good. My hot take is it's better than Civ VI about 70% of the time, but the 30% where it's worse is very noticeable.

For the most part I prefer HUmankind because it plays a lot faster. There's still a good sense of time and all in the earlier eras but you'll whizz through the turns quickly. Turns seem to happen simultaneously so there's also very little downtime. However, choosing where and when to build cities is still a big deal.

You see once you reach the end of the Neolithic era you will have founded city uno. Like Civ it's important to place it near strategic resources like copper if you can. Unlike civ, you don't then build cities but outposts. These have to be quite far away from your city, but you can attach outposts to a given city if the territories (think counties) are adjacent. You can choose to spend some of your culture currency into turning an outpost into a city, or just have that outpost and whatever resources it's near, become part of your other city's supply. It's a good system that puts a real value on the culture currency early on in a way that's quite transparent.

Speaking of culture, it's important because that's effectively a measure of your nation's influence. The more you generate, the more likely it is other nations will have their cities or outposts convert to your culture. That doesn't give you their territory but it does make it more likely that your neighbour will have to follow your ideology. You see, throughout the game you get events that let you grant civics, which are choices between being more religious or scientific with various gameplay buffs coming with each choice. If you're have high cultural capital, you might force your otherwise warlike neighbours into something a bit more mellow because that's what their people want. During wars, culture acts as a bit of a shield. Once a nation sues for peace, the cost of acquiring foreign territory is measured by culture. If the culture is 0% invaders, it's harder for them to annex it. All of this comes together in a way that I think is nicer and smoother than the Civ games.

You still have a science currency you use to research new tech, each city generates a labour capacity that determines how fast it can build stuff, and you have money as well which can be used to secure trade or buy new developments. That stuff is all there, makes sense, and works as nicely as it would in Civ in terms of generating it all.

One twist on the genre is that your starting tribe isn't attached to a historic Civilisation. Whereas Civ games lock you into a nation from the start, with all the gameplay buffs, debuffs, and unique units etc baked in, Humankind gives lets you choose a model civilisation at the end of each era. So in my game I chose to become the Egyptians, who are focused on building and who have chariots, before later becoming the Greeks, who focused on culture, then the Franks, the French, and finally, the Swedes. To play it best, it's probably best to stick to one focus, I probably should have been builder civ throughout to stack all the bonuses, but Humankind lets you explore a more balanced game in a way that Civ never does. I think this is really good because there's nothing worse than sinking hours into a Civ campaign only to dislike the nation you've locked into by hour 4. The main downside to this system is that while the colours of each player remain the same, their name will oscillate between whatever they choose each era. Which makes it a bit weird when the English become the Mexicans.

Still the good news is, you get unique buildings and units each era, rather than at fixed points in history as you do in Civ. You also have the choice to remain the same whenever eras change, allowing you to accumulate extra victory points without gaining whatever new buffs a change in Civ would have given you. So once again, Humankind gives us a twist, a pretty easy to get your head around twist, that gives it an edge over Civ.

So why is that 30% worse, and why is it so bad? Well basically the game ends super suddenly. Each game has a turn limit, the standard is 300 turns. That's still a lot of turns, but to get your tech tree sorted you'll feel like you have to rush through the game. To move between eras you need to acquire fame stars, and you get these by completing certain goals. E.g., research 10 techs. Every civilisation has the same objectives, but the weighting of points within science for a culture focused on science would be greater for them than any of the other objectives. It's not the number of stars that matter at the end of the game, it's your total amount of fame - which is the ultimate victory point currency. So unlike Civ, there isn't a science victory if man sets foot on Alpha Tauri, or a Diplomatic victory if one player gets the UN to vote for them, the game ends after a set period and you add up the points.

Which is fine, but I don't think the ending has been tuned very well. Whereas Civ has an atomic era and a computer era, Humankind merges them into one. There are far fewer techs to research and you'll go from Biplanes to jets in just a few turns. It puts a strain on the endgame that makes it feel a bit anticlimactic. I don't think that's inherently a fault with the points system, I think it's just that the pacing of modern era stuff and the end game isn't right. So while I like HUmankind more most of the time, the ending isn't as good as Civ.

Having said that, I love the way Humankind manages strategic resources. In Civ, if Iron is in your borders and you are mining it, you gain 1 Iron. If another nation wants it, they can trade for it and they acquire the Iron in exchange for whatever else, be it money or a different resource. This puts a huge focus on resources. In Humankind you gain iron in the same way, but when a nation trades for it with you, then you both have access to the iron, with the foreign nation paying you a gold of the privilege. You set access to resources via treaties, which are simple - no trade, luxuries only - or free trade, and you can make the trade smoother if you're in an alliance. I really like this system because it means that you won't see a pacifist Ghandi suddenly nuke you because you cannot afford to give him your one banana. But equally, you might want to ban trade with a warlike nation to stop them having your iron.

When it comes to building troops, late game troops require strategic resources, probably more than you have in your kingdom, so you'll need to trade or conquer. I don't think this punishes war like nations too much though because in the early game, none of the units need resources to recruit, just money to upkeep, so there's still a significant window of time for aggressive nations to operate with an advantage.

So overall, I really like this game. I think it does what it sets out to by breathing new life into the genre. The AI is a bit weak, the late game kind of sucks, and it also has quite a few visual bugs. The nucleus of something good is there though, and it should only get better as it's balanced. As it stands, there's a good game here for anyone interested in a smoother Civ game, and anyone ready to overlook the flaws that this game does have.

8/10
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 40 Empty01/10/21, 09:01 pm

We're into 'Forumotion forcibly splitting the topic' territory, so it's time for a new thread! Muss, feel free to repost your Humankind review since nobody got a chance to comment on it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 40 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts
Page 40 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40