We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The GNamer Hall of Fame

Go down 
+4
The Cappuccino Kid
masofdas
Muss
JayMoyles
8 posters
AuthorMessage
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

The GNamer Hall of Fame Empty
PostSubject: The GNamer Hall of Fame   The GNamer Hall of Fame EmptyWed 27 Nov 2019 - 23:50

Okay, this is an idea I've essentially repurposed from Easy Allies's Hall of Greats, but I think it could make for a great thread.

The idea behind this is to make a list of some of our favourite games over the course of time. It'll serve as a great way to highlight our tastes in games as well as having some fun (hopefully) along the way.

The idea behind this is basically a combo of our long-form discussion threads like Cappa's 3DS Chatting Bollocks thread and a traditional vote thread.

Here's how it's going to work:

The Nomination Stage

Each forumite who wants to take part tells me over PM or Twitter DM which game they'd like to champion. It'll be on a first come, first served basis so jump in quick if there's a game you want to represent for the thread. You're more likely to catch me over Twitter, so you can find me @jamesjmoyles on there and get your nominations in.

You can pick nearly any game you'd like, but I'm going to impose a restriction on any game that's not at least 1 year old yet. I think that should help to avoid recency bias which is something I know I've struggled with! *cough*undertale*cough*

After a period of time, we'll move onto the next stage.

The Pitches and Cross-Examination

In a random order, each forumite will deliver a pitch for the game they'd like to see in the GNamer Hall of Fame. This can take the form of a forum post, like in the aforementioned 3DS Chatting Bollocks thread, a audio recording of you explaining why your game should make it in or for the truly enterprising among us, a video with commentary. That could be a Let's Play of a particularly great level with an overall explanation of why your game is HOF worthy or more of a review style format.

Basically, explain why your game is the bee's knees and prepare yourself for the next bit.

The next bit is when the other forumites can chime in and play devil's advocate or genuinely poke holes in the greatness of your game. It's up to you to defend the good name of your game and prove why it's HOF worthy. We'll repeat this stage until everyone has had their turn at pitching and defending their game.

I think part of the fun will be seeing what everyone brings to the table - of course, we'll get the likes of BotW, Odyssey, Galaxy, SM64, OoT and more, but I hope some people think outside the box a wee bit.

Now, once we've seen our line-up...

Voting

Everybody - even those who are lurking and not pitching - will get three votes to assign to three different games. I really hope everyone takes notice of the quality of the pitches and defenses given and doesn't just vote for their favourite out of the list, but I appreciate that biases will be a part of this.

It'll be weighted as follows as an example:

1) Breath of the Wild - 3 points
2) Super Mario Odyssey - 2 points
3) Super Mario Galaxy - 1 point

You cannot vote for your own game! There's a bit of a risk in your pitch though - if you bring a personal favourite in that's unlikely to garner lots of votes, such as myself with The World Ends With You, and that game picks up zero points, then that game will be banned from future pitches for three rounds. And that's by anyone, not just by you, so if you delivered a particularly shite pitch for BotW and it somehow scored nothing, then that'll be it for BotW for everyone.

Again, I hope people take on board the quality of the pitch - somebody like Cappa might deliver an incredible pitch for Hogs of War which might be so impressive you'll give it one or two or potentially even three of your points, even if you've never played the game.

Once the votes are tallied up, we'll reveal our first and subsequent inductees into the GNamer Hall of Fame. Depending on how much of a response this gets, we could potentially have one or two inductees per round as such.

And then... we do it all again! Obviously, this'll take a wee while to go through each round, but I think a Hall of Fame deserves a bit of time as opposed to a breakneck vote thread.

If you think this is a shite idea for the forum and I get no uptake on this, no worries! We'll scrap the idea and move on. But I reckon this could be a good thread and one that theoretically should have no expiry date.

Any thoughts or amendments on the rules?

Also, if you're game, fire me your nominated game as soon as you can! I'll decide on a deadline for nominations depending on how popular this proves.

Last edited by JayMoyles on Wed 18 Dec 2019 - 17:00; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Hall of Fame   The GNamer Hall of Fame EmptyThu 28 Nov 2019 - 12:42

This sounds like a great idea.

I'll try to make a video for my nomination at some point in the near future.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Hall of Fame   The GNamer Hall of Fame EmptyThu 28 Nov 2019 - 16:30

Sounds like a tad like Counting Classics but more in-depth.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Hall of Fame   The GNamer Hall of Fame EmptyFri 29 Nov 2019 - 18:01

I like this idea well enough, but it's the Versus Mode podcast that you used to do that I'd really like to see return.

Still, I'll contribute to this someday. I can't do it anytime soon, but somebody else will surely, surely nominate Hogs of War, Theme Park World, ISS 64 and the rest. It'll need those three games at the very bare minimum to legitimise it as a actual, proper, official, certifiable computer games Hall of Fame.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Hall of Fame   The GNamer Hall of Fame EmptyFri 29 Nov 2019 - 19:59

This sounds like a neat idea, and I'd be up for it as I am for anything vaguely votey. One concern: we're coming up to the EoY awards and Vote Fatigue is real on this place. Would it not be better to wait until after we've had those and taken a break before these? Or do other people think they'd be sufficiently different?
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Hall of Fame   The GNamer Hall of Fame EmptyFri 29 Nov 2019 - 20:07

It's going to be more like this 3DS games look back though then 1. Fire Emblem Awakening, 2. Whatever I said was two etc
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Hall of Fame   The GNamer Hall of Fame EmptyFri 29 Nov 2019 - 21:37

Balladeer wrote:
This sounds like a neat idea, and I'd be up for it as I am for anything vaguely votey.  One concern: we're coming up to the EoY awards and Vote Fatigue is real on this place.  Would it not be better to wait until after we've had those and taken a break before these?  Or do other people think they'd be sufficiently different?
Let's just scrap the end of year awards. 2019 was a fucking shit sandwich.

EDIT: This is an interesting idea - I've never done an audio-y video-y thing myself, but am very tempted to do so. I'm not even going to pick a stupid old niche thing...
(P.S. I'm quite busy right now mind, so it may be 2020 before...)
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Hall of Fame   The GNamer Hall of Fame EmptySun 1 Dec 2019 - 14:34

Jimbob wrote:
Balladeer wrote:
This sounds like a neat idea, and I'd be up for it as I am for anything vaguely votey.  One concern: we're coming up to the EoY awards and Vote Fatigue is real on this place.  Would it not be better to wait until after we've had those and taken a break before these?  Or do other people think they'd be sufficiently different?
Let's just scrap the end of year awards. 2019 was a fucking shit sandwich.

Guessing this isn't serious but I do remember Drunka talking about some of the awards being iffy such as best forumite which could easily go. Personally I enjoyed the games section which did go well in the last vote, though.

Even this year it's going to be the wrong choice which wins as I think only Andy who I don't know his views on the game and myself have actually played the best game of the year.

Last edited by masofdas on Tue 3 Dec 2019 - 20:45; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Hall of Fame   The GNamer Hall of Fame EmptyTue 3 Dec 2019 - 3:34

I'm very excited for the seven games we cover before nobody can be arsed any more Smile

Nah, I like this, and hopefully a very broad focus will keep it going.

Jimmers wrote:
Let's just scrap the end of year awards.

Correct response.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Hall of Fame   The GNamer Hall of Fame EmptyTue 3 Dec 2019 - 20:42

That is a shit reply that should be pushed up the responder's anus, where shit replies belong, then pulled back out and eaten.

(I also assume that Jim was joking BTW.)
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Hall of Fame   The GNamer Hall of Fame EmptyWed 4 Dec 2019 - 0:16

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
I like this idea well enough, but it's the Versus Mode podcast that you used to do that I'd really like to see return.

I hear you! I'm hoping to give the podcast a kick up the arse in the New Year's. I miss recording them, but I've had a pretty busy latter half of the year!

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
Still, I'll contribute to this someday. I can't do it anytime soon, but somebody else will surely, surely nominate Hogs of War, Theme Park World, ISS 64 and the rest. It'll need those three games at the very bare minimum to legitimise it as a actual, proper, official, certifiable computer games Hall of Fame.

Jimbob wrote:

(P.S. I'm quite busy right now mind, so it may be 2020 before...)

There's no rush or anything lads - I don't think this will be a thread we'll be able to speed through or anything. Besides, nobody says you need to jump in at the start. I'm sure there'll be some eager beavers raring to go.

Balladeer wrote:
One concern: we're coming up to the EoY awards and Vote Fatigue is real on this place.  Would it not be better to wait until after we've had those and taken a break before these?  Or do other people think they'd be sufficiently different?

I don't think the voting part will be any trouble - I don't need comments, so it'll literally be three votes to be sent which if you can't be arsed even doing that, I've no hope for any of you.

Drunkalilly wrote:
I'm very excited for the seven games we cover before nobody can be arsed any more Smile

Laughing

I hope not, but I do appreciate it's a bit more work than just a usual post. What I hope is that folks don't make hour long videos or 20,000 word posts about their game of choice - I'd actually encourage people to keep their contribution lean so people actually read, watch or listen to your pitch.

Anyway, I've only had two people claim their games for the first wave of nominations. Remember, PM me on here or DM me on Twitter to nab your game before somebody else does.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Hall of Fame   The GNamer Hall of Fame EmptyWed 4 Dec 2019 - 17:25

I HAVE ALREADY TOLD MOYLES I AM IN BUT HERE IS OFFICIAL CONFIRMATION IF YOU WISH TO SEE IT
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Hall of Fame   The GNamer Hall of Fame EmptyTue 10 Dec 2019 - 15:44

I've had at least one more reservation and as you're all taking too bloody long, I've reserved my game for nomination too. Laughing

Please let me know if you're interested in firing up a nomination for the first wave of the Hall of Fame!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Hall of Fame   The GNamer Hall of Fame EmptyWed 11 Dec 2019 - 20:08

Honestly I'm looking at my top 25 games and they're all bleedingly obvious, obscure games one and a half of you will have played, or stuff I've raved about to death on here before and I'm all out of words. Aww! Result is, I don't know which game to choose.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Hall of Fame   The GNamer Hall of Fame EmptyWed 11 Dec 2019 - 21:23

I'm genuinely expecting a lot of bleedingly obvious games for the first couple waves of nominations. I'm pleasantly surprised by a couple of nominations, but otherwise it's par for the course. I've even nabbed one which is renowned as being one of the all-time greats. Pick one that you reckon you can put forward a convincing and engage pitch - that'd be my advice.

Speaking of which, we're now up to 6 nominations for the first round which is great! I'd love a couple more, but I'd also like to get things moving and grooving. I'll give you lads until 23:59 on Sunday to nominate for Wave One - don't worry if you miss out this round as you'll still be able to vote on what should go into the GNamer Hall of Fame.

Muss: I saw you said you were interested - fire me a nomination if you're still up for it!
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Hall of Fame   The GNamer Hall of Fame EmptyWed 18 Dec 2019 - 17:04

Thanks for your nominations, folks!

We've got 8 games lined up for our first nominations into the GNamer Hall of Fame.

So with that, it's open season! Drop your pitch for your game into the thread whenever you're set and we'll get proceedings rolling. I appreciate with it being the festive season that folks will be busy, so no deadline as of yet.

My only request is this - if someone has just posted their pitch, don't immediately post yours afterwards. Give folks time to ask some questions, poke some holes in their pitch and understand why this person thinks their games is HOF worthy. Basically, give folks time to let their pitches breath as I know I'd be a bit miffed if I put a bit of time into a pitch for it to be immediately overshadowed by the next pitch.

I'm really excited to see how everyone pitches their games - if nobody else is ready to go, I'm hoping to have my pitch up over the weekend if not earlier. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Hall of Fame   The GNamer Hall of Fame Empty

Back to top Go down

The GNamer Hall of Fame
Page 1 of 1