Nintendo in encouraging Emio-lation shocker

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Marop is the absolute BOI

Go down 
+7
Treesmurf
JayMoyles
Balladeer
masofdas
gjones
The Cappuccino Kid
Buskalilly
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

Marop is the absolute BOI Empty
PostSubject: Marop is the absolute BOI   Marop is the absolute BOI EmptyTue 14 Apr 2020 - 10:25

That Mario.
He's alright, isn't he? Been in some corking games.
Marop is the absolute BOI Maricar-mario

I’ve been reading the news, and word on the street is we’re getting a bunch of the 3D Marios on Switch this year. Those games are the bo-bomb! The tight control of the nicest character in the hands in all of gaming, the fun and inventive level design, the bright colours and jaunty music. . . stunning stuff.

I fired up Mario Odyssey the other night, found myself 20 moons or so. Ooh, that’s a belting game. I’m still not at the 500 moons challenge, which I hear is the absolute business, but I like that I’ve been savoring this game nice and slow.

Got the NES and SNES Marios on the ol’ Switch as well. Gonna have a right old Mario-a-thon if Japan gets a move on and stops pretending its special and has a proper lockdown like everywhere else.

Marop is the absolute BOI 996ca7c4

Drives a car sometimes as well, doesn’t he? I bloody love it when he drives the cars. Still playing that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. I’m up to Victory Road in my quest to get all the 200cc staff ghosts. I’m working through the cups in a horseshoe kinda shape; want Moo Moo Meadows to be the last one, innit? Bloody good game though.

I like his brother, too. Should pick up that Luigi’s Mansion 3 soon.
And that Peach . . . phwoar.

So, do you lot like Mario at all?

Last edited by Buskalilly on Thu 30 Apr 2020 - 8:22; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : He's not just the boy. He's the absolute BOI)
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Marop is the absolute BOI   Marop is the absolute BOI EmptyTue 14 Apr 2020 - 12:11

Mario's been the star of a disproportionate number of the best games of all time: Super Mario World, Mario Kart 64, NBA Street V3, Super Mario Maker, the list goes on. He scoots down pipes and collects coins just as well as he plays tennis and hosts parties. What a man. There's never been a game where he's fixed a dodgy boiler or sorted out a clogged toilet though, so there's always places for Nintendo to take the character.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Marop is the absolute BOI   Marop is the absolute BOI EmptyTue 14 Apr 2020 - 13:58

I'm starting to think he's not actually a qualified plumber.

I mean, has anyone seen his NVQ certificates? Does he have a van? Who has green pipes under their sink? It's all very suspect and wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo has bribed authorities to keep officials off his back. How has he not been featured in Rogue Traders yet? And that's not to mention the illegal street racing, underground fighting tournaments, royal kidnap rings, and gold coin laundering. And you say kids like him? The world's gone mad, I tell thee!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Marop is the absolute BOI   Marop is the absolute BOI EmptyWed 15 Apr 2020 - 9:30

They claim to represent the working man, but I heard that brother of his has multiple mansions and a multi-story hotel to his name. Plus they’re always cavorting with royalty. They’re always playing posho sports like tennis, golf and motor racing, but how long has it been since they had a good, honest kick-about?

Actually, isn’t there a bit of plumbing in some of the RPGs?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Marop is the absolute BOI   Marop is the absolute BOI EmptyThu 16 Apr 2020 - 11:08

Don't forget hit pet dinosaur was pinned for tax fraud
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Marop is the absolute BOI   Marop is the absolute BOI EmptyThu 16 Apr 2020 - 19:16

If I'm not much mistaken, this looks like one of those threads for funny people to show off their wit.

(leaves)
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Marop is the absolute BOI   Marop is the absolute BOI EmptyFri 17 Apr 2020 - 9:06

Balladeer wrote:
If I'm not much mistaken, this looks like one of those threads for funny people to show off their wit.

I honestly just wanted to talk about Mario cos I like him and his games a lot. The wit comes naturally.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Marop is the absolute BOI   Marop is the absolute BOI EmptySat 18 Apr 2020 - 10:13

Yep well, coming from me it's likely to be unfunny one-liners and .gifs, or an absolute essay on why the heck Mario, a dumpy plumber, has become the most instantly recognisable videogame hero around the world.

Buskalilly wrote:
Actually, isn’t there a bit of plumbing in some of the RPGs?

Also yes, they fix the Beanbean Castle plumbing in Superstar Saga. Great game.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Marop is the absolute BOI   Marop is the absolute BOI EmptySat 18 Apr 2020 - 10:37

Balladeer wrote:
an absolute essay on why the heck Mario, a dumpy plumber, has become the most instantly recognisable videogame hero around the world.

Why has Mario become the most instantly recognisable videogame character in the world?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Marop is the absolute BOI   Marop is the absolute BOI EmptySat 18 Apr 2020 - 10:47

Nostglia
Quality content
Time
Marketing
Etc

I would think Mickey Mouse would still be the most recognisable even though I couldn't name the last thing he was in beyond Kingdom Hearts III.

I'm not a big Mario fan, think it comes down to being a 90's SEGA Kid and Sonic had the flashy game along with being the dude with tude in the cartoon & comics.

Where Mario was just a boring guy who saved a princess, and he hasn't really had much character building but the ones around him have such as Luigi. Still he's games have nearly always been quality though, that what sells me on Mario games not Mario himself.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Marop is the absolute BOI   Marop is the absolute BOI EmptySat 18 Apr 2020 - 12:31

masofdas wrote:
Nostglia
Quality content
Time
Marketing
Etc

I would think Mickey Mouse would still be the most recognisable even though I couldn't name the last thing he was in beyond Kingdom Hearts III.

I'm always baffled at the idea Mickey Mouse is the most recognisable. Is it because he's associated with the Disney logo and Disneyland? I don't recall ever seeing him in cartoons or films in the last thirty years (Fantasia 2000 aside). Pretty sure my daughters wouldn't recognise Mickey Mouse, they'd be more likely to know Bugs Bunny or Tom and Jerry. Although Disney+ may change that...
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Marop is the absolute BOI   Marop is the absolute BOI EmptySun 19 Apr 2020 - 18:14

Buskalilly wrote:
Balladeer wrote:
an absolute essay on why the heck Mario, a dumpy plumber, has become the most instantly recognisable videogame hero around the world.

Why has Mario become the most instantly recognisable videogame character in the world?

Well you see, (SUDDENLY INDIFFERENCE) nah can't be bothered with an essay. I'll just comment on the main point to my mind which is

masofdas wrote:
Nostglia
Quality content
Time
Marketing
Etc.

none of these, although I'd say time and quality content certainly are relevant.

It's his design. You need exactly one thing to define him, and that's the red cap. Furthermore, it's simple. Basically anyone can reproduce that cap precisely in a drawing or in their minds, unlike say Master Chief's helmet. If you need two things, you can include his moustache. Three? His dungarees. Basically every part of Mario's design is both simple and relatively unique (outside his series) for game heroes, right down to the helium-ish cod-Italian accent.

If his games hadn't been quality he wouldn't have been able to capitalise on that design, sure - but I think the simple, reproducible design's the thing that lifts him. Sonic has something pretty similar actually, although

masofdas wrote:
...and Sonic had the flashy game along with being the dude with tude in the cartoon & comics.

this is a big reason why Sonic's a worse character. Tongue

masofdas wrote:
Where Mario was just a boring guy who saved a princess, and he hasn't really had much character building but the ones around him have such as Luigi.

I think Mas has unwittingly happened upon one other reason why Mario's such an appealing character, though, or at least used to be - his everyman quality. If we accept that his jumping skill is a by-product of the genre, Mario's a tubby plumber who just happened to be in the right place at the right time (with the right mushrooms in the right blocks). He's not Lara Croft with her shooting skills, athletic physique, and past in archaeology. He's a tradesman who stumbled into the Mushroom Kingdom. (This applies less I think in later games, where we see him being a bit more strictly heroic and he's obviously pally with royalty, but I feel it helped cement the legend in days of yore.)
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Marop is the absolute BOI   Marop is the absolute BOI EmptySun 19 Apr 2020 - 18:33

Sonic is a worse character now (film verison doesn't seem bad) but as a 5 year old watching Simpsons etc Sonic was cool like Bart where Mario was just a plumber.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Marop is the absolute BOI   Marop is the absolute BOI EmptyMon 20 Apr 2020 - 2:40

5 years olds like Sonic, whereas a responsible adult like me can truly appreciate a man with a trade like Mario.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Marop is the absolute BOI   Marop is the absolute BOI EmptyMon 20 Apr 2020 - 19:48

It's all down to exposure, parents want their child to grow up with a responsible "real" job rather than these fancy cock-a-hoop swordsmen or blue rodents so they make them play a proper game about plumbing to coerce them.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Marop is the absolute BOI   Marop is the absolute BOI EmptyTue 21 Apr 2020 - 7:48

Edutainment being snuck into my games!? DAMN YOU!
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Marop is the absolute BOI   Marop is the absolute BOI EmptyTue 21 Apr 2020 - 11:27

No no no, Mario is the cool one, Sonic is the smart one. Remember?

Marop is the absolute BOI IMG_0158-1
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Marop is the absolute BOI   Marop is the absolute BOI EmptyTue 21 Apr 2020 - 15:34

OrangeRakoon wrote:
No no no, Mario is the cool one, Sonic is the smart one. Remember?

Marop is the absolute BOI IMG_0158-1

Do you know where I can find the gatekeeper?
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Marop is the absolute BOI   Marop is the absolute BOI EmptySun 26 Apr 2020 - 15:44

...more punctual than Crash Bandicoot, healthier than Spyro, less acidic than Jak...
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Marop is the absolute BOI   Marop is the absolute BOI EmptyMon 27 Apr 2020 - 10:27

Laughing

"Edgier than Billy Hatcher"
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Marop is the absolute BOI   Marop is the absolute BOI EmptyMon 27 Apr 2020 - 18:59

...more cutting than Shovel Knight, healthier than Madeline...
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Marop is the absolute BOI   Marop is the absolute BOI EmptyTue 28 Apr 2020 - 23:17

Buskalilly wrote:
They claim to represent the working man, but I heard that brother of his has multiple mansions and a multi-story hotel to his name. Plus they’re always cavorting with royalty. They’re always playing posho sports like tennis, golf and motor racing, but how long has it been since they had a good, honest kick-about?

This is the closest thing to a Mario heel turn we've ever seen; gunna be a yuge pop when he turns face and breaks Waluigis legs with a Marseille Roulette.

In all seriousness though, I am going to be proper gutted if we don't get another Strikers Charged soon.

I made a start on beating the 200cc staff ghost times. What an absolute beut that game is. Give us more dlc this year Nintendo! And I'm calling off our Moo Moo Meadows truce and coming for your 150cc time Falcon Punch
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Marop is the absolute BOI   Marop is the absolute BOI EmptyWed 29 Apr 2020 - 9:10

Muss wrote:

I made a start on beating the 200cc staff ghost times. What an absolute beut that game is. Give us more dlc this year Nintendo! And I'm calling off our Moo Moo Meadows truce and coming for your 150cc time Falcon Punch

I haven't played 150 in ages. I'm gonna be like Neo at the end of the Matrix if I go back now. I won't even see cows, just code.

It didn't take long for all of my friends here in Japan to decide they don't like playing Mario Kart with me. On the rare occasions we do play, I have to use motion controls as a bit of a handicap.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Marop is the absolute BOI   Marop is the absolute BOI EmptyWed 29 Apr 2020 - 10:56

masofdas wrote:

There's an often-quoted piece of research from the early 1990s,in which Mario was found to be recognised by more American kids than Mickey Mouse. When I went to look for more evidence, though, I couldn't find anything new since then; just lots of people referencing that original study. I would guess that Mario is either at about the same level as Mickey Mouse these days, or in second place. Mickey Mouse represents all of Disney; the theme parks, the merchandise, the media. On the other hand, Mario has kind of come to represent the whole of videogaming, as well as just Nintendo.

To your other point, about not knowing what Mickey Mouse has been in, I think that's pretty fair! Mickey Mouse isn't really a character any more, he's a logo. He might be more recognised than Mario, but I would almost guarantee Mario is better liked.
gjones wrote:
I'm always baffled at the idea Mickey Mouse is the most recognisable. Is it because he's associated with the Disney logo and Disneyland? I don't recall ever seeing him in cartoons or films in the last thirty years (Fantasia 2000 aside). Pretty sure my daughters wouldn't recognise Mickey Mouse, they'd be more likely to know Bugs Bunny or Tom and Jerry. Although Disney+ may change that...
Here in Japan, Mickey Mouse and the rest of the gang are pretty recognizable, and well represented on t-shirts and pencil cases and all that. I don’t think any of these kids actually watch or read anything about these guys, though, they’re just cute mascots like Hello Kitty. Bugs and the other Loony Tunes, alas, seem to straight-up not exist in Japan

masofdas wrote:
Nostalgia
To an extent, but new kids are getting into Mazza every year.
Quote :
Quality content
Undeniable.
Quote :
Time
I guess, yeah.
Quote :
Marketing
Arguable, but probably a factor.

Quote :
I'm not a big Mario fan, think it comes down to being a 90's SEGA Kid and Sonic had the flashy game along with being the dude with tude in the cartoon & comics.
You wrong’n. Although, saying that, listening to Sonic The Comic The Podcast is reminding me how much I liked everything about Sonic when I was kid (apart from playing the games). It is also affirming that Sonic is incredibly 90s – cool at the time, and will always have a certain nostalgic appeal for me, but not a timelessly lovable icon in the way Mario is. To finally make him palatable to a new generation, the film had to basically reinvent him.

Balladeer wrote:

It's his design. You need exactly one thing to define him, and that's the red cap. Furthermore, it's simple. Basically anyone can reproduce that cap precisely in a drawing or in their minds, unlike say Master Chief's helmet. If you need two things, you can include his moustache. Three? His dungarees. Basically every part of Mario's design is both simple and relatively unique (outside his series) for game heroes, right down to the helium-ish cod-Italian accent.
A lot has been written before about Mario’s design. We all know that the original sprite was basically thrown together based on technical limitations, we’ve already heard the arguments about how this proves limitations force better art and blah blah blah.

I do think it’s interesting how each individual aspect of Mario is independently iconic; the hat, the ‘tache, the overalls, sure, but for a fan even the shoes or the nose and eyes are instantly recognizable.

Quote :
If his games hadn't been quality he wouldn't have been able to capitalise on that design, sure - but I think the simple, reproducible design's the thing that lifts him.
It’s impossible to know, really, but CHRIST his games are good. Super Mario Bros? Super Mario Bros 3? Super Mario World? Super Mario 64? Galaxy? Kart? Those are bona fide masterpieces of game design and control and music and visual joy; if Mario were an entirely different character, I think they’d have still gone a long way. But it WAS Mario, and it all added up to make him what he is.

masofdas wrote:
Where Mario was just a boring guy who saved a princess, and he hasn't really had much character building but the ones around him have such as Luigi.
The Balls Man wrote:

I think Mas has unwittingly happened upon one other reason why Mario's such an appealing character, though, or at least used to be - his everyman quality.

While I don’t think Balla’s rebuttal is wrong, I will go further and say that Mas is doing Mario a huge disservice. He has a character. Sure it’s simple, but that’s why it works.

Mario’s character is just a great guy to be around. Of course, this translates to him being heroic, something which the games sometimes do subtly and sometimes with the over-the-top heroics. It also translates to him absolutely loving life. I often praise Mario games for the sublime controls, the connection between player and plumber, the elasticity and freedom of the platforming. That experience wouldn’t be as wondrous as it is if Mario himself weren’t enjoying it with me. He whoops and yahoos, he puts his arms out to the side and playfully runs like a plane, he revels in each new power and location.

Mario has an iconic design.
Mario stars in great videogames.

Most importantly, Mario has fun and he wants you to have fun too.

In the video package when the Olympic games were handed over from Rio to Tokyo, it was a Mario pipe that Japan’s PM Shinzo Abe emerged from at the very end, and it was Mario he was dressed as. Japan is a country that works very hard, but Mario is the man who lets them take a break and have fun. And he represents that idea; of games, of play itself, to everyone in the world.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Marop is the absolute BOI   Marop is the absolute BOI EmptyWed 29 Apr 2020 - 17:41

Like I said I didn't grow up with Mario, I was on the Sonic side and just find Marop boring. Like in anything like Mario Kart or whatever, I'd never play Mario unless it unlocks something.

You say about new kids etc, I think Mario like Mickey Mouse and some stuff in films like Darth Vader is Luke's father somehow everyone knows for some reason.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Marop is the absolute BOI   Marop is the absolute BOI Empty

Back to top Go down

Marop is the absolute BOI
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GNamer Forum :: Gaming Miscellaneous :: General Gaming Discussions-
Jump to: