Nintendo in encouraging Emio-lation shocker

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts

Go down 
+11
Kriken
Balladeer
Crumpy Andy
Muss
Rum
JayMoyles
The_Jaster
Jimbob
OrangeRakoon
gjones
masofdas
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36
AuthorMessage
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 36 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 36 EmptySat 29 Jun 2024 - 8:10

gjones wrote:
The early 3D football games are definitely an interesting bunch, and unfairly overlooked these days. Nobody's remastering FIFA 96 like they did NHL 94. Probably for the best, as it was decent at the time, but not actually fun (like the Sensible Soccer games were).

Euro 96 was also my earliest memory of a football tournament, and I remember getting the wall chart and filling in the scores. It was a great summer, although I do find the nostalgia surrounding it a bit much. We have multiple documentaries on the tournament, where we got to the Semi's. I just can't imagine a nation like Germany or Spain having the same obsession. Similarly, hearing pundits saying they expect England to win Euro 2024, despite not playing well for a while now, is just opening us up to failure, and ridicule.

Unless England go on to win it - which I still fancy them to do, all truth told - I don't think there'll be any nostalgia for this tournament. It's been mince!

~

Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 36 240

UEFA 2000 on the Game Boy Colour…I mean, what are you expecting here? Things start poorly when you see it’s published by Infogrammes and developed by the same maker as such reputable and high-calibre titles as “Inspector Gadget Racing” and “Baby Felix Halloween”. Yet the condition turns critical when an 8-bit graphic of David Beckham and David Seaman having a cuddle pops up, and the whole thing dies a violent death when an England crest Brexits its way onto the screen emblazoned with the notice/warning that the game is “an official licensed product of the England team”. It’s the worst start to a game I’ve ever seen, and that’s just in the first fifteen seconds.

On the pitch…once again, what are you expecting here? It’s an uninvolving and very unchallenging tournament football game where tactics and training don’t matter. It’s not that the game doesn’t function – I’ve played worse on more advanced hardware – but it’s no hassle at all to hammer your opponent 9-0 in a three-minute game. Football computer games that are goalfests can be great fun, but not when you can stroll by the defenders with no opposition.

I don’t have any lasting memories of EURO 2000 and I’d like to immediately forget about UEFA 2000. 3/10.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 36 EmptySat 29 Jun 2024 - 10:26

If I saw a copy of that GBC game next time I was rummaging through cartridges, I'd actually fancy it. I could do with just playing as England and hammering some teams.

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
Unless England go on to win it - which I still fancy them to do, all truth told -

Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 36 Dont-give-me-hope
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 36 EmptySun 14 Jul 2024 - 15:46

Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 36 250px-Uefaeuro2004vgcover

The Euro 2004 tournament in Portugal was another classic case of ‘No Scotland, No Party’. I and millions of others were starting to get used to a familiar feeling of Scotland not qualifying for a major international tournament; history books show that this would be the second of nine consecutive championships where Scotland took no part. 2004 was a low point for sure, coming after an absolute scudding against Holland in the playoffs and being the dark days of Nigel Quashie getting international starts, Kenny Miller being essentially our only option up front, and – of course – "Christian! Christian!"

In the world of video games EA’s FIFA Football franchise was regaining its reputation at this point, having benefitted from a new gameplay engine, a refreshed style and presentation and from much-improved graphics. The reviews in the magazines were positive, but nobody cared though; Pro Evolution Soccer was everybody’s darling, and it was only football game that I and everybody else I knew needed. That said, without PES for competition I might have given UEFA Euro 2004: Portugal a Blockbuster rental if it had come out on GameCube. Alas, like 95% of third-party games it did not, and so I’m experiencing it on PlayStation 2 for the first time here in 2024 courtesy of my local CEX in exchange of a fifty pence piece.

I tell you what, UEFA Euro 2004: Portugal is a proper trip back in time – and I don’t just refer to the teamsheets. Nowadays, it’s an unfortunate reminder of how limited a piece of kit that the PlayStation 2 really was. Fair enough, the player animations and the audio commentary have aged, that’s always the case with old football games. Yet with the experience itself there’s drawbacks galore here. The unappealingly dull visuals, the long load times, the even longer amount of time it takes to save your progress to the memory card, and the distracting drops in the framerate really detract from the quality that the game might have had. It’s poorly optimised, and I doubt that was because EA didn’t have the resources to make a better game.

Euro 2004 is regarded as a great knockout tournament. It had a totally surprising champion, it was a showcase for many of the era’s emerging superstars, and it had a well good Nelly Furtado theme song. The video game though, much alike the current 2024 tournament, it sadly lacks the same memorability. 4/10.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 36 EmptySat 20 Jul 2024 - 13:16

Of course Cappa's got all of the dedicated Euro Fifa games Grin
I remember getting FiFA 2004 on the GameCube, that being the first FIFA game in about 6 years, and it felt like they were going through the motions with that; there was a weird Z-button "highlight a player to cross to" which was absolutely fucking useless, assuming you want to go out with a clipboard and do a quick survey of your forward players' availability for the next minute. And the squad selection page only fitted 10 player names on the screen. I've not played the Euro version, but it sounds like it's worse - it's almost like they press a "make special tournament button badly coded" button. We did switch to PES soon after.

Oh, I finished Wario Land 3 - I'd previously played 4 and loved its subversive nonsense, but thought the original (i.e. the third Mario Land) was a bit clunky. This was a really pleasant surprise though. The imagination in this is great, really it's a giant adventure game but split over levels - a MetroidVania almost. Very clever stuff, and I had passers by both laughing at the sprites (i.e. when Wario gets squished) and laughing at me when I landed in the fire pit, only for me to explain that I set myself on fire on purpose! Yahaha/5
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 36 EmptyYesterday at 21:49

Wario Land 3 was an absolute cracker right enough, it’s the game that convinced me to get a Game Boy Colour with my summer holiday money (in 2000, I think). It was just what I needed at a time when I was growing out of Pokemon, when I was unimpressed by the N64’s future release schedule and when I was basically killing time until the PS2’s launch that winter.

I went through a fair few pair of batteries with Wario Land 3…although I think I prefer Super Mario Land 3. Whereas I'll probably drop what I'm doing to have another playthrough of the first Wario Land when that eventually comes to the Switch's Game Boy app, I've had Wario Land 3 sitting there for nearly a couple of years, without feeling the urge to give it another go.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 36 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts
Page 36 of 36Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36