Nintendo in encouraging Emio-lation shocker

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Australia Wants you!!

Go down 
+7
oldschool
Fancy Fancy
Vidofnir
Balladeer
Xenos_Helia
Admin
shanks
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Fancy Fancy
FMK Tagline
Fancy Fancy

Australia Wants you!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Australia Wants you!!   Australia Wants you!! - Page 2 EmptySun 10 Mar 2013 - 13:47

oldschool wrote:
Fancy Fancy wrote:
What's Tasmania like for games shops or do you order online etc?

Generally speaking, it is pretty horrible. I have 2 major retail chains, KMart and Target that almost never carry the games I want, but I do pick up the odd clearance from. There is 2 major electrical stores, Harvey Norman and Dick Smith, which carry very few of the games I want, but also good for clearance. Then there is EB games, which is better for range, but only good when they have specials. If you live in Hobart, there is Big W, which is like KMart, but better, but still not great and JB Hi-Fi, which is probably the best of all of them.

I import a lot from England (Ozgameshop) and Hong Kong (Playasia). Retail is the vehicle of its own demise. If they don't carry what I want, then clearly I will buy elsewhere - then they don't get sales and they carry even less - then I buy even less, until there is nothing left.

Interesting. Grin I've often seen games being sold by Ozgameshop on ebay but they don't ship to UK addresses which I've never understood.
Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: Australia Wants you!!   Australia Wants you!! - Page 2 EmptySun 10 Mar 2013 - 18:08

oldschool wrote:
Retail is the vehicle of its own demise. If they don't carry what I want, then clearly I will buy elsewhere - then they don't get sales and they carry even less - then I buy even less, until there is nothing left.

This.

it'd be really interesting to get a breakdown of disc sales split between bricks-and-mortar and online. I think people often look at IRL retailers dying and thinking it's because of digital- I think it's got more to do with big-box retailers and online.
Back to top Go down
oldschool
Bandana Waddle Dee
oldschool

PostSubject: Re: Australia Wants you!!   Australia Wants you!! - Page 2 EmptySun 10 Mar 2013 - 21:45

beemoh wrote:
oldschool wrote:
Retail is the vehicle of its own demise. If they don't carry what I want, then clearly I will buy elsewhere - then they don't get sales and they carry even less - then I buy even less, until there is nothing left.

This.

it'd be really interesting to get a breakdown of disc sales split between bricks-and-mortar and online. I think people often look at IRL retailers dying and thinking it's because of digital- I think it's got more to do with big-box retailers and online.

I think that there will always be a demand for physical copies, but I think bricks and morter is largely doomed. It is so much cheaper to get them direct. The direct model will eventually take over. I do have an idea for a cross-over of digital and retail, so bear with me for a second. Here goes:

Why not have a booth, much like a photograph printing booth you see, that is a computer game one, at your favourite retailer. In it, connected to fast internet, is all the games the console has. You put in a disc and burn the game you want, on the spot (security built into the code so it plays only on the console). It also has a printer in it, specifically set-up for the case size page, and it prints you a case cover. You then get a case to put it in. It could also be set-up for cards, like the 3DS.

No game ever goes out of print. Every game is always available. No factory, no shipping means the price is lower. No waste. It is like digital, so there is no clearance, but stores will still be able to run specials/promotions. The used game market still exists.

That is my preferred model for the future. When it goes digital only, I am just likely to buy a whole lot less games. Unless my internet significantly improves and gets cheaper, I will more likely find a new hobby and just play the 1300+ games I already have - that should take me well into retirement.
Back to top Go down
http://aspergamer.webs.com/apps/forums/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Australia Wants you!!   Australia Wants you!! - Page 2 EmptySun 10 Mar 2013 - 21:59

You're not kidding when you say you're a technological dreamer, are you? Grin
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
oldschool
Bandana Waddle Dee
oldschool

PostSubject: Re: Australia Wants you!!   Australia Wants you!! - Page 2 EmptySun 10 Mar 2013 - 22:33

Balladeer wrote:
You're not kidding when you say you're a technological dreamer, are you? Grin

Not even slightly Studying
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Australia Wants you!!   Australia Wants you!! - Page 2 EmptySun 10 Mar 2013 - 23:11

Oldschool, that's a brilliant idea!
Back to top Go down
oldschool
Bandana Waddle Dee
oldschool

PostSubject: Re: Australia Wants you!!   Australia Wants you!! - Page 2 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2013 - 0:06

The_Jaster wrote:

If only it would happen.
Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: Australia Wants you!!   Australia Wants you!! - Page 2 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2013 - 7:41

oldschool wrote:
You put in a disc and burn the game you want, on the spot (security built into the code so it plays only on the console

he used game market still exists.

Not sure those two things go together, unless I've misinterpreted.

Although I'm pretty sure this is how Nintendo took the N64 into China, with the iQue.
Back to top Go down
oldschool
Bandana Waddle Dee
oldschool

PostSubject: Re: Australia Wants you!!   Australia Wants you!! - Page 2 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2013 - 9:30

beemoh wrote:
oldschool wrote:
You put in a disc and burn the game you want, on the spot (security built into the code so it plays only on the console

he used game market still exists.

Not sure those two things go together, unless I've misinterpreted.

Although I'm pretty sure this is how Nintendo took the N64 into China, with the iQue.

No I mean the security is in the code to ensure after burning, it only plays on the designated console - isolating its use. If you sold it, it still plays on the same console that anyone else has, just as it is now. I am not sure about the iQue.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Australia Wants you!!   Australia Wants you!! - Page 2 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2013 - 21:17

oldschool wrote:
The_Jaster wrote:

If only it would happen.

Indeed, even though I do like downloads I'm not a fan digital only happening as I can often forget which downloadable games I own. Embarrassed (Ye'd have no way to browse yer collection without turning on the system either)
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Australia Wants you!!   Australia Wants you!! - Page 2 EmptyFri 15 Mar 2013 - 1:15

Balladeer wrote:
I'm going to Dalkeith for a week in May.

What? Why Dalkeith of all places?
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: Australia Wants you!!   Australia Wants you!! - Page 2 EmptyFri 15 Mar 2013 - 5:24

You know what when I first saw "Dalkeith" I thought it read Dalekith
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Australia Wants you!!   Australia Wants you!! - Page 2 EmptyFri 15 Mar 2013 - 7:49

Rum Rapture wrote:
Balladeer wrote:

Girlfriend's family lives there (EDIT: fixed). Yes I know it's scummy. The whole place could be EXTERMINATEd and few would cry.

Last edited by Balladeer on Sun 17 Mar 2013 - 10:16; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Australia Wants you!!   Australia Wants you!! - Page 2 EmptySat 16 Mar 2013 - 20:38

Balladeer wrote:
Rum Rapture wrote:
Balladeer wrote:

Girlfriend's family lives these. Yes I know it's scummy. The whole place could be EXTERMINATEd and few would cry.

I would like an answer from the real Balladeer with no typing errors, please. x
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Australia Wants you!!   Australia Wants you!! - Page 2 EmptySun 17 Mar 2013 - 10:16

Erk. Duh! Fixed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Australia Wants you!!   Australia Wants you!! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Australia Wants you!!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GNamer Forum :: GNamer Forum :: Off Topic-
Jump to: