Nintendo in encouraging Emio-lation shocker

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (The Direct Mini XSEEDed Expectations)

Go down 
+2
Buskalilly
Balladeer
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (The Direct Mini XSEEDed Expectations) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (The Direct Mini XSEEDed Expectations)   Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (The Direct Mini XSEEDed Expectations) - Page 2 EmptyFri 15 Jan 2021 - 23:14

Last multi-post from me on this game, promise. I had one of those nights last night where I was slightly underprepared for the third big boss (who gives me strong Metroid vibes)...

Picture:

...and was always getting it down to a quarter of its health bar before dying to one of its cheaper attacks. Next thing I know, The Lady's advising me to go to bed and it's an hour later than I thought. Of course I beat the bastard first time I tried today... Hissy fit

That's the thing about this game for me though: it's incredibly moreish. It's got a strong 'one more thing' vibe. It only takes a moment to progress the farming a step, or gather some materials, or even finish entire levels once you know what you're doing. Part of my brain spends the entire time planning my next move, and once it's planned it's very tempting to carry out... and before I know it, an hour's gone by in what feels like minutes.

This is quite quite likely to be my game of 2020, not that it had a huge amount of competition. Marvellous stuff (pun not intended).
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/ Online
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (The Direct Mini XSEEDed Expectations)   Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (The Direct Mini XSEEDed Expectations) - Page 2 EmptySat 16 Jan 2021 - 14:18

You have sold it to me, but it's finding it cheapish as just had to have some stuff done on the car, along with then having time to play it as my backlog is on the big side and the frontlog is very RPG heavy.

I think it's right game at the wrong time for me as it launched amongst next gen systems and now reasons I give above but will keep an eye out for it that if I see used in my local game shop I'll pick up.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (The Direct Mini XSEEDed Expectations)   Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (The Direct Mini XSEEDed Expectations) - Page 2 EmptyWed 20 Jan 2021 - 18:31

Balladeer wrote:

...and was always getting it down to a quarter of its health bar before dying to one of its cheaper attacks.  Next thing I know, The Lady's advising me to go to bed and it's an hour later than I thought.  Of course I beat the bastard first time I tried today... Hissy fit

This happened so often to me with the Souls-style games I've played. Laughing

Like Mas, your post definitely has me intrigued but I'm still a bit puzzled as to how it all fits together. What does the core gameplay loop look like?
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (The Direct Mini XSEEDed Expectations)   Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (The Direct Mini XSEEDed Expectations) - Page 2 EmptyFri 22 Jan 2021 - 22:52

HELLO HI YES I WILL TALK ABOUT SAKUNA WITH YOU YES DEAR GOD

Sorry. I finished Sakuna on Wednesday and... you know that thing when you finish a great game and there's nothing else that you're excited to play and the great game's still taking up residence in your head, and find yourself feeling a bit lost to the point where you finish a chore and your first thought is, 'Yay time to play the game!... wait, aww'? Maybe you don't, it's a very specific feeling. Anyway, that's where I am with Sakuna and I'd love to talk about it, except no bastard's played it (likely for Mas' reasons among others) so I've taken that feeling out on a Gintendo article draft.

(The last bit of the game before the endgame was actually a bit duff, but the game's systems are still so good and I was still so emotionally invested that it didn't matter.)

Core gameplay loop... Basically you're trying to complete 'exploration goals', which you accomplish by playing through 2D platforming-combat levels (and the combat is really good, putting me in mind of Muramasa more than anything else). Your meal the previous in-game day determines some temporary buffs and also gives you ongoing healing, which you will need - but when your stomach empties towards the end of that day, you lose that healing. At this point you basically go back to your home and tend the rice. Depending on the time of year and point in the farming cycle there may be more or less farming to do, and some days are entirely rice while some are entirely exploration. At the very end of the day, you give the cook some materials you collected (the ones that haven't gone into weapons, armour, fertilisers, or the odd quest), have dinner, and the cycle repeats.

Is that clear-ish? Like I say I'm hoping to put out a Ginny piece, but I can't promise that be any clearer. It might just be overenthusiastic warbling and one really bad joke.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (The Direct Mini XSEEDed Expectations)   Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (The Direct Mini XSEEDed Expectations) - Page 2 EmptySat 23 Jan 2021 - 18:44

Ah neat! That sounds like a really pleasant gameplay loop - reminds me of a roguelite in many ways which is no bad thing considering how much I dig that genre. Although I presume that unlike roguelites there's more permanent progression throughout the exploration stages?

As for that post game blues, I totally know where you're coming from! It definitely takes me a day or two to properly get into a new game following one that's totally captured my imagination.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (The Direct Mini XSEEDed Expectations)   Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (The Direct Mini XSEEDed Expectations) - Page 2 EmptySun 24 Jan 2021 - 12:03

The goals you've completed stay done, the little flag at the end of some levels showing you've beaten it stays done, and of course they're not procedurally generated (yippie!).  Oh, and I don't think you can mine the same resources from the same level two days in a row?  The enemies do regenerate though.  In summary, I haven't played enough roguelikes to know what I'm talking about!

Oh and obviously I did get that Ginny article finished: https://gintendo-namer.squarespace.com/reviews/sakuna-matata
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (The Direct Mini XSEEDed Expectations)   Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (The Direct Mini XSEEDed Expectations) - Page 2 EmptyTue 26 Jan 2021 - 18:12

I've got a day off booked in tomorrow so I'll give that a read as opposed to hurriedly replying to threads during quiet spells at work. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (The Direct Mini XSEEDed Expectations)   Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (The Direct Mini XSEEDed Expectations) - Page 2 EmptyThu 28 Jan 2021 - 19:45

I await your thoughts eagerly, Sir Moyles!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (The Direct Mini XSEEDed Expectations)   Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (The Direct Mini XSEEDed Expectations) - Page 2 EmptyTue 13 Apr 2021 - 21:05

Started this evening and played around 2hrs. I like the 2D combat reminds me of a Muramasa and the 3D sections around the house look really good, surprised how good it looks.

Just 2hrs in I'm basically on the same quest, even though I now have four places to explore that I'm gathering I'm waiting for my rice to grow.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (The Direct Mini XSEEDed Expectations)   Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (The Direct Mini XSEEDed Expectations) - Page 2 EmptyThu 15 Apr 2021 - 20:34

Yep, it's surprisingly pretty for a two-man-team game.  The XSeed difference?  It is also a slow burn, but maybe that will bother you less than it would some others here. 🤞
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (The Direct Mini XSEEDed Expectations)   Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (The Direct Mini XSEEDed Expectations) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (The Direct Mini XSEEDed Expectations)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2