Nintendo in encouraging Emio-lation shocker

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Nintendo ending Wii channel services on 28th June.

Go down 
+12
Jimbob
fronkhead
2becomecarrion
Admin
Crumpy Andy
The_Jaster
Dusty Knackers
The Cappuccino Kid
ZeroJones
Buskalilly
Balladeer
Axis1500
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

Nintendo ending Wii channel services on 28th June. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nintendo ending Wii channel services on 28th June.   Nintendo ending Wii channel services on 28th June. - Page 2 EmptyTue 2 Jul 2013 - 0:23

Did anybody have a last whirl on these channels? I did, for nostalgia's sake, on the day before they were shut down. As I said earlier in the thread, I was a little bit sad to see them go - although not as much as five/six years ago, there was still activity on all of them, and I at least still used them from time to time. Strangely, to me it feels more like the end of an era for the Wii than the release of Skyward Sword or the release of the Wii U. Wii was my first online console, and these were my first online experiences back in 2007.

Probably a bit over-emotive for some weather reports and horoscopes, but happy memories.
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Nintendo ending Wii channel services on 28th June.   Nintendo ending Wii channel services on 28th June. - Page 2 EmptyTue 2 Jul 2013 - 1:08

I really should have done this, but I was too lazy to dig out the old box (and the channels were never part of Wii Mode on Wii U -- boo).

I certainly share your emotions towards this, though, Wii was all about expanding how we interact with our games and content, and I always thought those channels were a genius way of doing this, especially when this was before smartphones and tablets.

I'm guessing Nights on Wii can no longer use weather channel data for one of its game modes?
Back to top Go down
Axis1500
Vote Thread
Axis1500

PostSubject: Re: Nintendo ending Wii channel services on 28th June.   Nintendo ending Wii channel services on 28th June. - Page 2 EmptyWed 10 Jul 2013 - 22:56

sporkhead wrote:
I really should have done this, but I was too lazy to dig out the old box (and the channels were never part of Wii Mode on Wii U -- boo).

I certainly share your emotions towards this, though, Wii was all about expanding how we interact with our games and content, and I always thought those channels were a genius way of doing this, especially when this was before smartphones and tablets.

I'm guessing Nights on Wii can no longer use weather channel data for one of its game modes?

I find it odd Nintendo hasn't introduced anything like this yet to the Wii U. Their Facebook page did ask "What Wii features do you miss on Wii U?" so maybe.....
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Nintendo ending Wii channel services on 28th June.   Nintendo ending Wii channel services on 28th June. - Page 2 EmptyThu 11 Jul 2013 - 18:26

Maybe that's one of the changes in the big update?
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Nintendo ending Wii channel services on 28th June.   Nintendo ending Wii channel services on 28th June. - Page 2 EmptyFri 12 Jul 2013 - 1:13

Same here, though those old load times would have made it feel like a chore to even load up the weather -- I actually really miss the old channel icons, which Microsoft have now run away with as live tiles.

I think we'll start seeing these kind of apps again. On the Wii U developer survey for Nintendo Web Framework, developers are asked what kind of applications they wish to build. Have a feeling the September/October update will tie in with the rollout of Wii U apps. So far the only one built with Web Framework has been Wii Street U.
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Nintendo ending Wii channel services on 28th June.   Nintendo ending Wii channel services on 28th June. - Page 2 EmptyTue 30 Jul 2013 - 21:49

Has anybody tried to delete these now that they're non-functional? I, bizarrely, can't find a way to delete the news and forecast channels - they don't show up in the data management menu, and it's frustrating me because it just means the channels are sitting there doing nothing.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Nintendo ending Wii channel services on 28th June.   Nintendo ending Wii channel services on 28th June. - Page 2 EmptyTue 30 Jul 2013 - 22:22

The today and tomorrow channel actually worked just fine offline. It doesn't use the internet it pulls predictions out of its ass calculates it based on the date.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Dusty Knackers
Bandana Waddle Dee
Dusty Knackers

PostSubject: Re: Nintendo ending Wii channel services on 28th June.   Nintendo ending Wii channel services on 28th June. - Page 2 EmptyTue 30 Jul 2013 - 22:52

Rum Rapture wrote:
Has anybody tried to delete these now that they're non-functional? I, bizarrely, can't find a way to delete the news and forecast channels - they don't show up in the data management menu, and it's frustrating me because it just means the channels are sitting there doing nothing.

They were pre-installed on the console and won't show up in data management.
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Nintendo ending Wii channel services on 28th June.   Nintendo ending Wii channel services on 28th June. - Page 2 EmptyTue 30 Jul 2013 - 23:58

Dusty Knackers wrote:
Rum Rapture wrote:

They were pre-installed on the console and won't show up in data management.

Oh, that makes sense. That's kind of annoying. I've just moved them to a screen out of view instead.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Nintendo ending Wii channel services on 28th June.   Nintendo ending Wii channel services on 28th June. - Page 2 EmptyTue 6 Aug 2013 - 23:00

Don't think I'll delete any of them purely for nostalgia reasons.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Nintendo ending Wii channel services on 28th June.   Nintendo ending Wii channel services on 28th June. - Page 2 EmptyWed 7 Aug 2013 - 8:35

Booting up the Wii is eerie now - the Weather and News channels are blank and remain so. *shudder*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nintendo ending Wii channel services on 28th June.   Nintendo ending Wii channel services on 28th June. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Nintendo ending Wii channel services on 28th June.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2