We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

R.I.P. Nintendo Gamer

Go down 
+12
Buskalilly
Crumpy Andy
masofdas
gjones
Jimbob
Admin
fronkhead
beemoh
The_Jaster
Balladeer
JayMoyles
The Cappuccino Kid
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

R.I.P. Nintendo Gamer - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Nintendo Gamer   R.I.P. Nintendo Gamer - Page 3 EmptyThu 17 Sep 2015 - 11:27

How's the Miyamoto interview? Might pick that up when I run out of comicbooks to read at breakfast.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
NintenDUCK
Vote Thread
NintenDUCK

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Nintendo Gamer   R.I.P. Nintendo Gamer - Page 3 EmptyThu 17 Sep 2015 - 13:03

It's good, one or two of the questions have probably been answered a thousand times by now but it's an interesting read anyway. There are even some [laughs]. Would recommend reading.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Nintendo Gamer   R.I.P. Nintendo Gamer - Page 3 EmptyFri 7 Jan 2022 - 16:13

It’s sheer chance that I replied to gjones’s N64 Magazine chat the other day, as it lead me to reminisce about the old Nintendo magazines and be reminded that the first issue of Nintendo Gamer launched ten years ago this week.

R.I.P. Nintendo Gamer - Page 3 The-end-of-an-era.large

https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/brand-new-nintendo-gamer-magazine-way/

That’s an overly weepy opening post that I typed in 2013, but it was a really good magazine while it lasted. There’s no chance something like Nintendo Gamer would have survived those starving days between mid-2015 and the release of the Switch, but all the same there’s a sense that it was a magazine that never got to realise it’s potential.

I'll need to go back and re-read them. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Nintendo Gamer   R.I.P. Nintendo Gamer - Page 3 EmptySat 8 Jan 2022 - 6:18

Nintendo Gamer felt like such a cool, quality product.
I will say, the Matt Castle/ Joe Skrebels/ Gav Murphy/ Kate Grey era of the official mag felt like a little like the Nintendo Gamer that never was.

Imagine the world where we had that Mag during 2017 and that amazing first year of Switch . . .
R.I.P. Nintendo Gamer - Page 3 60h1or
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Nintendo Gamer   R.I.P. Nintendo Gamer - Page 3 EmptyTue 11 Jan 2022 - 23:09

It’s been a good few years since I’ve looked at a Nintendo Gamer, but what I remember most about it was the high standard of the writing. I dropped off of reading the work of all four of those writers you’ve mentioned though. After Nintendo Gamer ended in late 2012 and after the website went offline in early 2013, I didn’t really follow any Nintendo journalism anymore. I kind of went through the motions with buying ONM until that ended too, I don’t have any strong memories of that magazine either way, I just wasn’t into it.

In a time where the official PlayStation and Xbox magazines still continue and when even EDGE and Retro Gamer still find their audience, surely a return of a Nintendo magazine has been discussed somewhere, sometime?
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Nintendo Gamer   R.I.P. Nintendo Gamer - Page 3 EmptyWed 12 Jan 2022 - 12:09

Considering the Switch is so successful, it's barmy that we have an Xbox mag going but no Nintendo one. I know Castle has explicitly stated he would like to do a Nintendo one in this era, perhaps something a Patreon could support. Do we know if it was Future or Nintendo's decision to close the official magazine?
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Nintendo Gamer   R.I.P. Nintendo Gamer - Page 3 EmptyWed 12 Jan 2022 - 12:14

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
I kind of went through the motions with buying ONM until that ended too, I don’t have any strong memories of that magazine either way, I just wasn’t into it.
That's a shame as it was technically kind of life-changing for me - the podcast is what got me into podcasts in general, and also the way I befriended Skrebs.
Quote :
In a time where the official PlayStation and Xbox magazines still continue and when even EDGE and Retro Gamer still find their audience, surely a return of a Nintendo magazine has been discussed somewhere, sometime?
I feel like they're only around because they're still around, if you know what I mean? If the Playstation or Xbox mags had closed, I don't think they'd have been restarted - they've just been chugging along.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Nintendo Gamer   R.I.P. Nintendo Gamer - Page 3 EmptyThu 13 Jan 2022 - 22:27

gjones wrote:
Considering the Switch is so successful, it's barmy that we have an Xbox mag going but no Nintendo one. I know Castle has explicitly stated he would like to do a Nintendo one in this era, perhaps something a Patreon could support. Do we know if it was Future or Nintendo's decision to close the official magazine?

I’m guessing it was Future Publishing’s decision. I remember the decision to end the Nintendo Gamer came when Future was building up their digital presence and portfolio while cutting staff. I’m sure this wasn’t the only magazine they shut down. That decision was no doubt helped by Nintendo Gamer’s small circulation, which seemed to dwindle year by year. I’m vaguely recall that sales figures were discussed on an ex-writers blog several years later (maybe Martin Kitts?) – they supposedly weren’t good at all. ONM surely went in exactly the same direction.

Buskalilly wrote:

That's a shame as it was technically kind of life-changing for me - the podcast is what got me into podcasts in general, and also the way I befriended Skrebs.

I didn’t even know there was an ONM podcast! That’s pretty cool that ONM had such an impact on you though. I’m sure these British games magazines influenced a lot of people personally and professionally too. I’m sure that was a topic on the NGamer Forums long ago – there was a consensus that N64 Magazine and the likes really shaped a lot of forumite’s writing style and sense of humour.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Nintendo Gamer   R.I.P. Nintendo Gamer - Page 3 EmptyFri 14 Jan 2022 - 3:48

I use "Natch" all the time and forget its not just standard, well-known slang.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Nintendo Gamer   R.I.P. Nintendo Gamer - Page 3 EmptyFri 14 Jan 2022 - 8:59

Buskalilly wrote:
I use "Natch" all the time and forget its not just standard, well-known slang.

Same! I like how the Backpage Podcast has allowed Matthew's "Castle-isms" to become a thing. Definitely has big NGamer energy.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Nintendo Gamer   R.I.P. Nintendo Gamer - Page 3 EmptyFri 14 Jan 2022 - 21:56

'Move over "natch", here comes big NGamer energy!'

But yes, N64 massively shaped my prose and sense of humour. Even though I didn't understand a lot of the first few issues. Incidentally I picked up a few issues of CVG at around the same time and definitely didn't understand a lot of that, aged seven. I don't think my parents knew quite how 'lad's mag' the humour in that was.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/ Online
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Nintendo Gamer   R.I.P. Nintendo Gamer - Page 3 EmptySat 15 Jan 2022 - 0:09

"Big NGamer Energy" is like Uncharted with Natch!
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Nintendo Gamer   R.I.P. Nintendo Gamer - Page 3 EmptySun 16 Jan 2022 - 19:27

I really miss Mark Green's: colon-related disappointing sentence gags.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Nintendo Gamer   R.I.P. Nintendo Gamer - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

R.I.P. Nintendo Gamer
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3