We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title

Go down 
+3
Balladeer
Admin
masofdas
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title Empty
PostSubject: Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title   Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title EmptyMon 5 Jan 2015 - 22:30

At one point we had a few threads alternate to mario kart for instance which did just went a way with time but with Stu back and him all ready talking about retro and some reason final fantasy was brought up in admintendo.

I just thought is there some great games pre Dreamcast, Cube, PS2, Xbox in the genre that are great without either spelling of fantasy in the trilte as at one point both ruled the genre one on SNES the other on Mega Drive then during the PS1 era.

All I can think off that I've played is
Secret of Mana
The Granstream Saga
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title   Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 10:21

The only RPGs I played before the GameCube era that I enjoyed were all of the main-series Pokémon games and Monkey Puncher (a sort of pet sim/RPG combo on the Game Boy Color. The very first RPG I ever played (Final Fantasy VII) put me off RPGs until the dawn of Pokémon, because at the time I'd never played one before and I didn't get the concept of grinding.

Does Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga count? I loved that, but it was a GC-era GBA game.
Back to top Go down
http://messedupcables.forumotion.net
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title   Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 10:52

What Stu said. Pokémon and the Mario RPGs. Great things.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title   Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 11:36

I wasn't really thinking off handehlds but yes they are great things but Mario RPG didn't really get me into tile TTYD which was of course cube.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title   Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 11:39

DAMN! How could I mention Mario & Luigi and forget Paper Mario, which is my second favourite N64 game? That's a proper pick!

I had to go for handheld RPGs because most of the RPGs I've played and enjoyed have been on handhelds.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title   Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 11:53

Chrono Trigger.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title   Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 11:55

I've never played it, is it as good as people say.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title   Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 11:58

It's absolutely brilliant. I'd be tempted to say it's my second favourite JRPG (behind, Xeno)
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title   Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 12:00

Which Xeno Winky Face
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title   Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 12:00

The only one that matters Razz
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title   Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 12:30

Gears on PS1 thought so.

What system did you play Trigger on and have you played cross. Also gives me a idea for a thread something along the lines of great game people haven't played, So for me I've not played Xenoblade or Trigger but both great games.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title   Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 12:36

I played through it fully on DS but I do own it and have played a bit on Wii VC. I've not tried Cross, it never really caught my eye.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title   Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 14:06

Something about Chrono Cross appeals to me more than the idea of Chrono Trigger, though I've never played either. My copy of Chrono Trigger on DS remains sealed to this day.

I absolutely heart The World Ends With You on DS, but that's both a handheld game and too new a title for this thread.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title   Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 14:10

I played CT on the DS. Didn't get on. Great plot but lousy characters, and a dour aesthetic in this day and age. Battle system wasn't anything to write home about either.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title   Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 14:11

Shocked I'm telling mandlecreed on you.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title   Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 14:27

Yeah maybe Balla aesthetic wise but you got to remember it's a SNES game, that might of been great back in the day.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title   Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 14:57

Two things about that:
1. The SNES gave us Yoshi's Island and the Final Fantasies, among others. Absolutely no need for its games to look drab.
2. When I talk about retro games, I'm always assuming that I'm talking about how they fare in the modern day. Do they stand up? Not how good they were at the time. Yoshi's Island and Gunstar Heroes, to pick two, do stand up, so it can be done.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title   Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 16:16

I think that Chrono looks alright though to be honest.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title   Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 17:46

I was going to say if Andy didn't play it into recently and enjoyed it that its his second favourite JRPGs. It might hold up fairly well and not everything has to look like yoshi island balla, some games need to have darken ton if it suits the game.

I hope this comes to the Wii U VC now.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title   Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 22:12

I'm biased here, so I'm probably not the best to ask, but I generally find that if a 2D game has clearly had some effort put into it, chances are that will reflect positively on my opinion of the visuals. Several NES and Master System games still blow my mind by how detailed they manage to look based on their ridiculously underpowered hardware.

I firmly believe that games were better when developers had to work under huge memory constraints. It's why I love the creativity found in lots of, say, DS games.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title   Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 22:16

SMB3 look fantastic still doesn't it.

Your post is the reason I love indies so much but some like No Mans Sky seem to be pushing the envelope though.

Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title   Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 22:20

masofdas wrote:
SMB3 look fantastic still doesn't it.

Your post is the reason I love indies so much but some like No Mans Sky seem to be pushing the envelope though.

Precisely. The best indie games benefit from their tight budget, all design choices must be deliberate and solid, and they need to stand out to get such attention.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title   Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title EmptyWed 7 Jan 2015 - 7:36

Yeah, Chrono Trigger wasn't drab - at least to these knackered eyes. I liked the idea of the combination attacks but the multiple endings did get a bit tiring. My friend Dave really rates it and says he loves the plot, alongside the fact that there were no ruddy fetch quests.

~~~

Dragon Quests IV and V count in these criteria, I believe, although the best way to experience them is on the DS. V has the best plot of any RPG I've ever played, and IV is good fun.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title   Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title EmptyWed 7 Jan 2015 - 10:34

Maybe we should do a RPG vote instead of Platformers.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title   Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title EmptyWed 7 Jan 2015 - 12:34

We don't need to start off a voting chain again Mas Razz I like votes as much as the next guy but occasionally is the best way to keep them fun.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title   Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title Empty

Back to top Go down

Best pre 6th gen RPGS with out the words Fantasy or Phantasy in there title
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next