Nintendo in encouraging Emio-lation shocker

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Counting Classics on Consoles

Go down 
+10
Crumpy Andy
Jimbob
Dead Lemon
The_Jaster
masofdas
Buskalilly
JayMoyles
The Cappuccino Kid
ZeroJones
Balladeer
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 2 EmptyTue 4 Aug 2015 - 10:33

I see there's a few added and even Balla is now Abstaining it seems

Contra- Yes
Boulder Dash - Abstain as I've never heard of it or played it I would of said no but the rules seemed have changed
Chip 'n' Dale - This I have played but Disney platformers there are better like Duck Tales that I will say No
Super Mario Bros 2 - No
Snake Rattle n' Roll - Yes
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 2 EmptyTue 4 Aug 2015 - 10:43

The rules haven't changed! You should absolutely vote based on your own definition of "classic": given the number of "SETTLED"s, I'd say that there's enough intersection between us all to get a good list, regardless of slightly different definitions.

For the record, I've been abstaining since I first went down the list. If I've heard of a game, but haven't heard enough about it (or played it) to form an opinion, I abstain.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 2 EmptyTue 4 Aug 2015 - 10:45

It's a no for SMB 2 from me as well, unfortunately. It's the quirky redheaded stepchild of the NES Marios - its siblings are the classics on the console.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 2 EmptyTue 4 Aug 2015 - 16:44

Dead lemon wrote:
Super Mario Bros 2 - The bastard child of NES Mario games, doesn't get the love or respect it deserves. I'd rate it about the same as SMB personally.

How could I forget my favourite 2d Mario? All the Yeses to this.

balla wrote:
The rules haven't changed! You should absolutely vote based on your own definition of "classic": given the number of "SETTLED"s, I'd say that there's enough intersection between us all to get a good list, regardless of slightly different definitions.

I think the confusion may be coming from how people are going to vote personally on certain games (as you probably should be doing) but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of "I've never played/liked that but it's still a classic" going on.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 2 EmptyTue 4 Aug 2015 - 17:12

I know I've done a bit of it.  I've never played Duck Hunt, for example; and (whisper it) I didn't have much love for either Zelda or SMB when I finally played them.  All classics!

But there's obviously going to be a personal element, as you say, and as there should be.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 2 EmptyTue 4 Aug 2015 - 17:23

I've had another pass and my updated thoughts/votes follow. I assume the person who suggests a game gives it an automatic 'Yes'? This is bound to be in the rules now and I've missed it... Embarrassed

RC Pro-AM - Yes
Castlevania III - Yes
Metroid - Yes
TMNT - No
Battletoads - No
Probotector - No
Boulder Dash - Yes [albeit based on experience of another version of the game Whistle ]
Chip 'n' Dale - Yes
Super Mario Bros. 2 - Yes
Snake Rattle n' Roll - Yes
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 2 EmptyTue 4 Aug 2015 - 17:31

Eh, I just took it as read.  Your votes included, Zero!
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 2 EmptyWed 5 Aug 2015 - 22:57

Right. Ignoring all the settleds (although I suppose I could actively "no" them... in which case I should "yes" them to stop the "no"s from stepping in):

Solar Jetman - Yes it is a classic YOU PHILISTINES Sulk
Metroid - Nope - a bit clunky and fixed by Super Metroid
Mega Man 3 - YES it's a classic; I contest this like an arsehole
TMNT - Nope - let's consign that youthful mistake to history
Snake Rattle n Roll - Yes.
Boulder Dash - Nope; grew up with the Superior version #ireptonnowonsaleinitunesstore
Chip n Dale - Yeah
Battletoads - yes, just

Abstaining from Mother (haven't played enough yet), RC Pro Am (not played at all), and Super Mario Bros 2 (I can't decide)

Can I add two more?
Donkey Kong (hasn't aged well, but...)
Zelda II ( Suspect )
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 2 EmptyThu 6 Aug 2015 - 0:41

Jimbob wrote:

Mega Man 3 - YES it's  a classic; I contest this like an arsehole

You're my hero. Thumbs Up!

I actually regret nominating MM2 as I reckon folks have though "nah, one Mega Man is enough" when MM3 is (whisper it) the better game. But hey ho, can't let my own preferences cloud my view too much here. Laughing

Also, a reluctant YES to Donkey Kong (hasn't aged well, but come on, it's Donkey Kong!) and a reluctant NO to Zelda II. I quite like Zelda II, but I wouldn't call it a NES classic. The fact Nintendo never returned to that style of Zelda should be proof against its status as a NES classic.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 2 EmptyThu 6 Aug 2015 - 8:06

I've never played a Mega Man game. I know several of MMII's tunes, and all of its robot masters (albeit Brentalfloss had a large hand in that). It's a classic!

On Jimbob's classics, my views are pretty much the same as Jay's. DK made it into Pixels - if that lump of warm greasy faeces has heard of it, it's in!
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 2 EmptyThu 6 Aug 2015 - 14:18

Balladeer wrote:
I've never played a Mega Man game.  I know several of MMII's tunes, and all of its robot masters (albeit Brentalfloss had a large hand in that).  It's a classic!

Oh, definitely! I'm just wishing I nominated Mega Man III by itself first so it would have had a better chance at making it into the classics collection.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 2 EmptyThu 6 Aug 2015 - 16:04

Jay wrote:
Also, a reluctant YES to Donkey Kong (hasn't aged well, but come on, it's Donkey Kong!)

This reason (in bold) is why I'm surprised to see a few no's to Metroid and even though I've admitted in the past that the controls are rather clunky & it was bettered by Super Metroid (tbh most SNES sequels bettered their NES games) but the fact is it's a game that created an entire new genre.

That alone should allow it in.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 2 EmptyThu 6 Aug 2015 - 17:57

It's a bit different though with Donkey Kong - compared to Metroid, Donkey Kong is a colossus. You could show any old schmuck Donkey Kong and they'd likely recognise it. I like Metroid, don't get me wrong, but just because it led to a classic game on SNES doesn't automatically earn it classic status.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 2 EmptyThu 6 Aug 2015 - 18:14

It's almost like Final Fantasy: the "But it lead to this!" argument. Except Metroid, as Jas rightly points out, made a whole new genre (or at least popularised it). It is also unlike any other game on the list: haunting and powerful.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 2 EmptyThu 6 Aug 2015 - 18:19

I kept thinking that, then realising how hypocritical it'd be for me to say it. Laughing I guess I feel that Super Metroid kick-started Metroid, whereas the original kick-started Final Fantasy. This may well not be fair. Fortunately it hasn't impacted the results!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 2 EmptyThu 6 Aug 2015 - 19:01

I say Yes to DK but No to Zelda II as it has to be the worst true Zelda
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 2 EmptyThu 6 Aug 2015 - 22:58

JayMoyles wrote:
It's a bit different though with Donkey Kong - compared to Metroid, Donkey Kong is a colossus. You could show any old schmuck Donkey Kong and they'd likely recognise it. I like Metroid, don't get me wrong, but just because it led to a classic game on SNES doesn't automatically earn it classic status.

*Calls for cult classic category* Winky Face

Joking aside I agree that DK is more recognisable but I was more trying to point out it's a classic because it broke new ground, also back to the controls for a minute I'm sure some games that have been settled or will be settled in the future may not have aged well in that regard so should they be in at all? For the sake of example let's take Goldeneye 64, many of us (hopefully) would agree it's a classic but in terms of FPS controls it may not feel so good when compared to FPS games of today but like Metroid it broke new ground at the time.

I just feel Metroid it being outed for the wrong reasons. (clunky controls, better sequel)
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 2 EmptyFri 7 Aug 2015 - 13:52

You do make a compelling argument Jas but when I think classic NES games Metroid isn't one of them but if I was thinking of classic SNES game Super Metroid most likely is and same if I think the series Metroid, Super & Prime come to mind as well as SOTN the best Metroidvania when I'm thinking of that genre.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 2 EmptySun 9 Aug 2015 - 9:37

Aaaaaand we're done!  We've arrived upon a series of 17 classics for the NES, which I think is a good haul, including some I would never have thought of (and one I hadn't heard of).

Next console is the Game Boy (including Colour).  I'll crack on with a few obvious suggestions:

Tetris Y 6-0 SETTLED
Pokémon RB Y 6-0 SETTLED
Pokémon GS Y 6-0 SETTLED
Link's Awakening Y 5-1
DK94 Y 4-1
Kirby's Dream Land Y 4-0
WLSML3 A 2-0
WL2 A 3-0
KDL2 N 2-2
SML2 N 5-3
LoZOoA A 5-1
LoZOoS A 5-1
SML N 4-3
Pokémon Pinball Y 3-0
Mario's Picross Y 6-0 SETTLED
Harvest Moon N 1-1
Pokémon TCG A 1-1
Gargoyle's Quest A 1-0
Metroid 2 A 1-0

I'd also like to chuck a pre-emptive downvote towards both Super Mario Land games.  All they really contributed to the series was one character apiece, the rest being swiftly swept under the rug.  SML2 was good, but not "classic" good.

Last edited by Balladeer on Sun 16 Aug 2015 - 8:37; edited 8 times in total (Reason for editing : Jasterbutions.)
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 2 EmptySun 9 Aug 2015 - 10:13

Yes to all of those, and a request that people cast their eyes over the following: Donkey Kong '94, Kirby's Dream Land and Wario Land.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 2 EmptySun 9 Aug 2015 - 10:18

17 is quite a few games for the NES but moving on

Tetris, this has to be the most classic GameBoy game there is that it's a Yes
Pokémon RB (not Y), Yes
Pokémon GS (not C, Yes
Link's Awakening, I'm not a 2D Zelda fan but I know how good this is to 2D fans but isn't DX a bit better or are we looking at is a whole I'm saying Yes either way
Donkey Kong '94, Hmm not sure on this one as DK is a classic but when you think DK the GB doesn't come to mind of a system to play it on that I'm going No
Kirby's Dream Land, Yes
Wario Land: SML3, Yes as it started of a series that....

I'm putting forward
Wario Land 2, I think this is the best one of the 3 on GB but that might because it was that I had
Kirby’s Dream Land 2
Super Mario Land 2, We will see Balla
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Seasons
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 2 EmptySun 9 Aug 2015 - 11:15

I was just lumping up Awakening and Awakening DX, yes.  They're similar enough.  If I had to split them out I'd go for the original, in the same way that I went for Red/Blue, not Yellow.

I feel really rubbish, not being able to vote one way or another on the Oracle games.  Truth is, I only had Seasons on 3DS VC, it already felt a bit old, I didn't get very far, and then I had that 3DS half-inched. Aww! Should go back to it/them at some point.

Okay, Mas - convince me.  Why should Kirby's Dream Land 2 be a classic when 1's already in?  Apparently they're both very similar.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 2 EmptySun 9 Aug 2015 - 13:53

Here's my view on the games suggested thus far!

Spoiler:

I'd like to put forward Super Mario Land and Pokemon Pinball.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 2 EmptySun 9 Aug 2015 - 14:20

mas wrote:
17 is quite a few games for the NES but moving on

To be honest I think there could have been lot's more as not everyone on the forum has been involved and the likelihood that we may have forgotten about some games.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 2 EmptySun 9 Aug 2015 - 17:11

@Balla I shouldn't need to convince you, if you think I do then to me you should go No not a classic.

Also I guess you voted Yes to KDL, what about DK94 etc same to Jas nothing.

On Jay's games a bit like my Kirby choice, I think 2 is better of SML and the more known classic of the to games that I'm going No for SML and Abstain with Pokemn Pinball as I've never played and have of course of it and could be a great Pinball game but can't say.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Counting Classics on Consoles
Page 2 of 21Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next