We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Old Magazine Chat

Go down 
+9
OrangeRakoon
The Cappuccino Kid
gjones
Balladeer
masofdas
ZeroJones
Buskalilly
JayMoyles
Jimbob
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
AuthorMessage
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

Old Magazine Chat - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Magazine Chat   Old Magazine Chat - Page 10 EmptyFri 16 Jun 2023 - 21:10

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
Buskalilly wrote:

Could it be that the real difference between N64/ NGC and NGamer is that you weren't 12 any more?

I don’t think so, I think N64/NGC/NGamer went through peaks and throughs right the way throughout it’s run. N64 Magazine and NGC Magazine are mostly worthwhile re-reading, they're usually fun to revisit.

I thought NGamer specifically was excellent in it’s first year-and-a-half (when I was seventeen/eighteen years old), but I thought it was badly affected by staff turnover. With a smaller budget too, that resulted in some properly weird editorial decisions, lots of rubbish Early Learning Centre-esque art design and an inorganic-feeling sense of ‘humour’ in its Ghost of Charlton Heston days. Even in 2008/2009 I felt that NGamer Magazine was poor - it had lost its enthusiasm by the time that the publisher was ordering them to feature a LEGO or Rabbids game on the cover every two months.

I didn't get NGamer at the time but I wonder if that Early Learning Centre aesthetic tied in with the Wii itself leaning away from the "mature" offerings that were on 360/PS3.

Old Magazine Chat - Page 10 N64-magazine-perfect-dark-issueOld Magazine Chat - Page 10 2Q==Old Magazine Chat - Page 10 2Q==

The cleaner look of NGamer certainly does a better job of hiding the anarchy within, N64 in particular almost wore it as a badge of honour.

NGC's "The world's biggest Gamecube magazine" line is an all-timer, considering they made it as wide as it was long. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Old Magazine Chat   Old Magazine Chat - Page 10 EmptySat 17 Jun 2023 - 9:15

Nintendo Gamer was even more "clean", it even looked a bit like Edge or something, but it still had laughs. The Iwata Asks were great.

The thing I remember disliking with each new redesign was it felt like they were trying to create recurring, defined comedy segments, with it always feeling like the previous iteration had more spontaneity.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Old Magazine Chat   Old Magazine Chat - Page 10 EmptySun 18 Jun 2023 - 10:48

masofdas wrote:
AC certainly worth its 90 score even after importing it as these mags told me it wasn't coming to the UK.
Yup - mee too Sad I didn't buy mags on the regular, so suddenly seeing it in the shops after spending shedloads on one of those Datel sneak-o-discs and a copy on eBay was a bit a shock.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Old Magazine Chat   Old Magazine Chat - Page 10 EmptySun 18 Jun 2023 - 20:18

gjones wrote:

NGC's "The world's biggest Gamecube magazine" line is an all-timer, considering they made it as wide as it was long. Very Happy

Good memories of the time that somebody wrote into the Letters Page complaining that their magazine subscription wouldn’t fit into a standard letter box, and the response was basically ‘err…aye, we’ll need to sort that out’.

Buskalilly wrote:

The thing I remember disliking with each new redesign was it felt like they were trying to create recurring, defined comedy segments, with it always feeling like the previous iteration had more spontaneity.

Someone used the phrase “enforced fun” in NGamer Magazine once. I can’t remember if it was an editorial commentary or in a preview or review, or even if it was one of the old NGamer Forum comments that would be copy and pasted in the magazine’s letters section each month. But that’s really how NGamer came across at times, as very inorganic and try-hard with their attempts at comedy. If NGamer Magazine were still around I’m sure they’d still be dragging the arse out of Cammie Dunaway’s E3 2008 appearance and dedicating two pages to shite Twitter parody accounts they've found.

Jimbob wrote:
masofdas wrote:
AC certainly worth its 90 score even after importing it as these mags told me it wasn't coming to the UK.
Yup - mee too Sad I didn't buy mags on the regular, so suddenly seeing it in the shops after spending shedloads on one of those Datel sneak-o-discs and a copy on eBay was a bit a shock.

I'm very nostalgic for most things from the early 2000s, but I definitely don't miss having to wait two years for a PAL version of a game just so they can add Macedonian language options to it.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Old Magazine Chat   Old Magazine Chat - Page 10 EmptyWed 21 Jun 2023 - 8:12

Someone used the phrase “enforced fun” in NGamer Magazine once. I can’t remember if it was an editorial commentary or in a preview or review, or even if it was one of the old NGamer Forum comments that would be copy and pasted in the magazine’s letters section each month. But that’s really how NGamer came across at times, as very inorganic and try-hard with their attempts at comedy. If NGamer Magazine were still around I’m sure they’d still be dragging the arse out of Cammie Dunaway’s E3 2008 appearance and dedicating two pages to shite Twitter parody accounts they've found.

I genuinely did find it all very funny, whereas if I go back and read the NOM UKs I was reading a few years earlier, I cringe unbearably.

I also think GNamer and the brief Matthew Castle-ran stint of ONM brought through some really brilliant and talented writers. Joe Skrebels, kate Gray, Gave Murphy . . . folks who have massively influenced my sense of humour and writing style.

And having heard those folks and others talk about it in the years since, I think everyone was forcing it a bit, but if you had bought into the idea, it worked. A few years earlier, perhaps including N64, games mags were wrapped up in "Lads Mags" culture, so there was some freedom but at the expense of giving us only a very narrow, straight young male sense of humour.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Old Magazine Chat   Old Magazine Chat - Page 10 EmptyThu 6 Jul 2023 - 11:15

I don’t really remember much of that stint or that time in UK games magazine journalism. I never bought any of the Xbox or PlayStation magazines, and I dropped off of buying Nintendo and multiformat magazines regularly after Nintendo Gamer finished in 2012. You make it sound like I missed out. I bought a few NOM UKs before that was shut down though, but I honestly can’t remember it’s humour being any sort of standout feature about it, good or bad.

It’s the games-related writings of folk like Martin Kitts, Mark Green, Jes Bickham and Tim Weaver from the N64 Magazine/NGC days that left the biggest impression on me. You’re not wrong about the magazines massively influencing senses of humour and writing styles.

~

There was two magazines I bought every month without fail for over fifteen years – the first was obviously N64 Magazine and it’s various redesigns, but the second was a pro wrestling magazine called Power Slam. Power Slam ended about ten years ago for much the same reasons as every magazine eventually does, but a couple of years ago a spiritual successor called Inside The Ropes was launched. It uses Power Slam’s features, writers and designs, displaying it’s clear retro influence. Yet I was surprised to see it display it’s retro influence in another way, through their monthly feature about an old wrestling game and with this clear nod to N64 Magazine:

Old Magazine Chat - Page 10 Img_2073

It was fun to see these two worlds collide, so to speak.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Old Magazine Chat   Old Magazine Chat - Page 10 EmptyTue 11 Jul 2023 - 20:55

Oh that's brilliant! That's absolutely brilliant, I practically clapped my hands with joy when I first saw that page. Beautiful stuff, thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Old Magazine Chat   Old Magazine Chat - Page 10 Empty

Back to top Go down

Old Magazine Chat
Page 10 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10