Nintendo in encouraging Emio-lation shocker

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Desert Island Games

Go down 
+3
Buskalilly
gjones
NintenDUCK
7 posters
AuthorMessage
NintenDUCK
Vote Thread
NintenDUCK

Desert Island Games Empty
PostSubject: Desert Island Games   Desert Island Games EmptySun 18 Dec 2016 - 1:52

You've crash landed on a desert Island, you had a suitcase filled with all the games consoles ever made but the impact of the crash made them all break except one.
Furthermore, despite bringing every game ever made on the flight only 3 of them survived the crash.
The question is, if you were in this situation, what three games would you want to play for the rest of your life and on what system?
Rules:
1. You can choose literally any games system, excluding arcade cabinets. So I guess not literally any system. But close.
2. All the games must be available on the chosen system, but only through legitimate means.
3. If you pick a console that's backwards compatible with previous generations you can pick from that generation too.
4. If you pick a PC as your system, making your own games is not an option. You can still pick any PC game though, regardless of the game's age.
5. The Island is beyond the reaches of EA, so there is no DLC available. (All games come in their ‘vanilla’ form).
6.The Island is similarly beyond the reaches of WiFi, so any online functionality a game might have isn't going to work.

This thought popped into my head as I was flying back home for Christmas, and I spent the rest of the flight answering it:
Chosen system: 3DSXL
Seemed like a bit of a no brainer really, with this I get all the DS and 3DS games plus myriad virtual console titles to choose from. Of course it comes with downsides, like never playing a game on big screen again. Why not the New 3DSXL? A good question, the 3DSXL is slightly heavier than its new counterpart which means I can use it for strength training to keep me fit as I waste away.
Chosen Games:
1. Sid Meier’s Civilisation Revolution
One of the best games on DS, I think this game would be great on a remote island with nothing else to do because it’s all too easy to just sit down with it and forget the world exists for the 10 or so hours (depending on your chosen difficulty) if takes to finish a game and with no two games ever playing out the same way the replay value is theoretically endless.
And as an added bonus, with its in-depth strategy mechanics it’s bound to keep my mind sharp!
All it’s missing is a soundtrack…

2. Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of The Starry Sky
…Oh here’s one! Another DS game for my 3DS may seem weird but it hardly matters when you consider just how excellent this game is. A jaunty soundtrack, a long and convoluted story and tons of side quests make for a fantastic desert island game. Not to mention the many hours of fun that can be had from customising your characters. If you go the whole hog with this game, side quests and all you’re looking at 800hrs+ of playtime which is pretty decent when you take into account you probably won’t live that long on a desert Island.
(This might be premature, I haven’t yet played DQ7’s 3ds version so maybe one of you might want to weigh in here as to which is better)

3. Super smash Bros. 3DS
So I’ve got my thinking game, I’ve got a game with a nice story and soundtrack. I’m missing one thing: A fun game. And when it comes to the only fun game I can play for the rest of my life it doesn't get funner than Smash DS and it ought to look really good on my 3DSXL too, which is a nice bonus. Huge amounts of replay value should give me several hundred hours of gameplay too.

So there you have it, my stranded system and games. What are your thoughts on my picks? What would you choose?
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Desert Island Games   Desert Island Games EmptySun 18 Dec 2016 - 9:36

Nice topic. Not sure on your choices as I've not played them, but Civ on the DS surprised me!

Does this include downloadable console titles (ie. games that are on Xbox Live Arcade or PSN)?

Mighty tempted to go for Wii (SMG, XC, RE4) but I need me some PES in a situation like this, given the endless nature of Master League.

System: PS4

1: PES 2017 (or whichever the latest version is)

The ultimate RPG if you will. Levelling up the group of 60-rated jokers in and gradually building a world-beating side takes hundreds of hours and there's an endless nature to it (always wanted to do more than 10 seasons).

The Witcher III

Not played this but it's a game I think is perfect for this scenario. Being stuck on a desert island seems the ideal place to play a new game, and this is reportedly HUGE.

Resident Evil 4: Remastered

One endless game, one new game and one classic. Resi 4 is over ten years old now and still plays a fantastic game. The "New Game +" mode is my favourite, but there's also the Mercenaries mode for a bit of shooty shooty.
Back to top Go down
NintenDUCK
Vote Thread
NintenDUCK

PostSubject: Re: Desert Island Games   Desert Island Games EmptySun 18 Dec 2016 - 14:33

gjones wrote:

Does this include downloadable console titles (ie. games that are on Xbox Live Arcade or PSN)?

Downloadable titles from Xbox live arcade/virtual console etc. are fine, because they're "legitimate means". Emulators etc. are not legit so they're out.

gjones wrote:
The Witcher III

Not played this but it's a game I think is perfect for this scenario. Being stuck on a desert island seems the ideal place to play a new game, and this is reportedly HUGE.

I hadn't thought about bringing an unplayed game to the Island, but for me it'd be TWEWY because it's basically 2017 and I still haven't gotten round to it. But then if I don't like it I've wasted a spot on my list, maybe not worth the risk. Tongue
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Desert Island Games   Desert Island Games EmptySun 18 Dec 2016 - 16:39

Oooh, I'm gonna have to think about this because of the "one console" wrinkle. I would almost definitely want Dark Souls because I can keep myself entertained indefinitely on there, but I'd want Nintendo games and machines otherwise . . .
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Desert Island Games   Desert Island Games EmptySun 18 Dec 2016 - 18:08

I also need to have a think as I was thinking about taking a MMO like FFXIV but with no online, it would be pointless but the reasoning why I would take a MMO because they can go on for ever.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Desert Island Games   Desert Island Games EmptySun 18 Dec 2016 - 19:03

Drunkalilly wrote:
Oooh, I'm gonna have to think about this because of the "one console" wrinkle. I would almost definitely want Dark Souls because I can keep myself entertained indefinitely on there, but I'd want Nintendo games and machines otherwise . . .

This crossed my mind as well but a big part of the souls games for me now is the online aspect which we wouldn't have in this scenario.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Desert Island Games   Desert Island Games EmptyMon 19 Dec 2016 - 15:10

Thought of the system which may think is a odd choice for me but I would have a PC the reason being one of the games on my list I would have

Football Manger 2017 or Latest Version
I've not bought a FM since 2011 or plan to but I put 300+ hours into FM11 and I got barley any of the achievements. On a Island, I would have the time to 100% the game.

Witcher III GOTY Edition

Is this cheating as I'm guessing you mean the base game but if I can have pick of every game ever made that are available to buy then the GOTY would surely be included. I've also not really played WIII bar the first hour as I've been put off due to how daunting the game is but with infinite time then that wouldn't be a problem.

Elder Scrolls V Skyrim (I would hope VI is out by the time this happens)
Now I've said elsewhere that I've never liked the look of Skyrim even though I like Morrowind and Oblivion. Yes this is another game I've never played and sort of similar to Witcher III with both being Western RPGs but both do play and feel differently (that's based of the hour I've played of WIII and ESIII&IV). Why I would take it is due to all the different races that I could play with one game being a Khajiit who joins the Thief guild, then another as a Nord who joins the Fighter Guild and so on.
Back to top Go down
NintenDUCK
Vote Thread
NintenDUCK

PostSubject: Re: Desert Island Games   Desert Island Games EmptyMon 19 Dec 2016 - 19:10

Yep, W3 GOTY edition is acceptable, they all sound like solid picks.
Two football games and two witcher games thus far, I'm beginning to see a theme.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Desert Island Games   Desert Island Games EmptyWed 21 Dec 2016 - 23:23

By George, I think I've got it.

Console: Nintendo Wii

Game One: Super Mario Galaxy

A reasonably well-made piece of software that made good use of the hardware. Unnecessary motion controls typical of early games on the system aside, perfecting this one will provide many nanoseconds of entertainment.

Game Two: Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

The Wii's backwards compatibility with its predecessor let me go back and get the best of the GameCube era. This is the best of the GameCube era (he says, without checking his entry in the GameCube vote thread Shocked ). The pinnacle of the 'Mario'n'companions' Paper Mario games; a game so well-judged that Nintendo won't dare to follow it up.

Game Three: Little King's Story

When I started thinking about what games to keep with me for potentially years, I wanted something I had yet to finish. LKS represents that very well: a beautifully produced game in a genre I really need to brush up on.

Tough choices - I could easily knock out one of these for the DS, 3DS, SNES and NES. Twisted Evil Great thread. Applause
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Desert Island Games   Desert Island Games EmptyWed 4 Jan 2017 - 16:10

PlayStation 2

TimeSplitters 2
Jak II: Renegade
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3

The one console rule makes this tougher!
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Desert Island Games   Desert Island Games Empty

Back to top Go down

Desert Island Games
Page 1 of 1