We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Skyrim Switch - shock of the century

Go down 
+8
Muss
ZeroJones
masofdas
JayMoyles
Crumpy Andy
Balladeer
NintenDUCK
Buskalilly
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

Skyrim Switch - shock of the century - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyrim Switch - shock of the century   Skyrim Switch - shock of the century - Page 2 EmptyMon 16 Jan 2017 - 15:44

"Skyrim is a very interesting sword game. You can play as man with bow, elf with magic, lizard-man with dagger or even as cat."
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim Switch - shock of the century   Skyrim Switch - shock of the century - Page 2 EmptyMon 16 Jan 2017 - 17:02

JayMoyles wrote:
"Skyrim is a very interesting sword game. You can play as man with bow, elf with magic, lizard-man with dagger or even as cat."

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Speaking of, you need to wing me over some words Andy can't steal. 2016 is but a dot on the horizon now . . .
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim Switch - shock of the century   Skyrim Switch - shock of the century - Page 2 EmptyMon 16 Jan 2017 - 18:04

Done and dusted! Let me know if you need more words.

Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim Switch - shock of the century   Skyrim Switch - shock of the century - Page 2 EmptyMon 12 Jun 2017 - 12:27

This has got me sort of excited to play Skyrim for the first time and maybe even on Switch depending on price etc compared to the PS4 version.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim Switch - shock of the century   Skyrim Switch - shock of the century - Page 2 EmptyMon 12 Jun 2017 - 19:14

Something something Light Arrow to the knee.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim Switch - shock of the century   Skyrim Switch - shock of the century - Page 2 EmptyMon 12 Jun 2017 - 19:35

I just remain worried that after BotW, every other open-world game will seem sparse, ugly, and dull. But I'm tempted to give it a shot (into the knee, oh ho ho), if nothing else to say, 'Hey third parties, we want your finest interactive entertainments on this here Switch console!'
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim Switch - shock of the century   Skyrim Switch - shock of the century - Page 2 EmptyMon 12 Jun 2017 - 23:18

Skyrim's the next best thing to BoTW.

(apart from maybe Oblivion)
(and maybe Witcher III)
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim Switch - shock of the century   Skyrim Switch - shock of the century - Page 2 EmptyMon 12 Jun 2017 - 23:33

Balladeer wrote:
I just remain worried that after BotW, every other open-world game will seem sparse, ugly, and dull.

Skyrim always seemed sparse, ugly, and dull to me. This is the most likely I've ever been to play it- singleplayer handheld adventures are gonna be what keeps me sane for the next six months.

When I saw that Zelda gear, I was more sure than ever that Nintendo chose theright art style for Breath of the Wild.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim Switch - shock of the century   Skyrim Switch - shock of the century - Page 2 EmptyTue 13 Jun 2017 - 0:23

Honestly, it's really not sparse, ugly or dull. It's stacked with things to do, the combat and questing is fun as hell and whilst yes, visually it's a game from 2011, I was still impressed by some of the game's vistas. Blackreach's massive mushroom cavern comes to mind.

There's a reason Skyrim has had six years of legs on it and is still talked about fondly today. It's an entirely different experience from Breath of the Wild and if you go in expecting something similar, then of course you'll be disappointed. It's an RPG through and through and easily one of the finest western RPGs I've played.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim Switch - shock of the century   Skyrim Switch - shock of the century - Page 2 EmptyTue 13 Jun 2017 - 10:46

I've not played Skyrim part from 5 minutes on PC but have played Morrowind and Oblivion which are very old-school western rpgs, people have told me Skyrim is more accessible but compared to Zelda, it will seem far more traditional to Zeldas Action-RPG tropes.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim Switch - shock of the century   Skyrim Switch - shock of the century - Page 2 EmptyTue 13 Jun 2017 - 10:47

Oh it's dull alright, but not because of the world (not entirely).  The combat's what makes it dull.  Very bland action that lacks a sense of impact, and looks dorky as hell.  it can't even hold a candle to the brilliance of things like Breath in the Wild's combat for action, or Xenoblade X's for strategy.  Says a lot that the most fun the combat ever got was maxing out Conjuring and letting a pair of Daedric warriors slaughter everything while you sat back and watched (hearing them scream "I'll feast on your heart!" and other such melodramatic phrases all the time was pretty fun though!).  

The world's kind of dull too, but that's more because the dungeons are all mostly extremely generic.  Granted it took me a good 20 hours before I felt like I'd seen everything the game had to offer, but considering the genre it is and the praise it usually gets. . . Yeah, not exactly impressive.

And despite everything I just said not five minutes later I'm feeling like booting it back up and taking a trip down nostalgia lane. Meh
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim Switch - shock of the century   Skyrim Switch - shock of the century - Page 2 EmptyTue 13 Jun 2017 - 18:15

My dislike of Skyrim stems from the God complex it grants the user. I'm sure for some it's wonderful that they are the epicenter of the all the game's major events, but I just don't like how the world is presented to you as this vast, living, breathing habitat, when in reality everything is there solely for the avatar's manipulation. That's the case for all games, of course, but Skyrim is particularly bad at masking it.

Take for example the various guilds in the game. Back in Morrowind each NPC had a relations meter with the player, which ranged from 0-100 and could be influenced based on little things, e.g. if your sword is drawn, or larger things such as what factions one was aligned to. By having this, it meant one couldn't become the leader of every guild because the thief guild disliked the warrior guild, and wouldn't associate happily with players who went down the warrior route.

Skyrim's sense of characterisation is watered down to the point where it's only really going to discriminate based on whether ones a vampire. One can become the leader of every guild if I remember rightly, but after doing so there's no way to unite them or do anything interesting. With a world so much larger, and so much more full of stuff, it nonetheless manages to feel so much more vacuous than its predecessor. I just can't get into it beyond that entry level feeling of, oh this new cave or fortress looks interesting - but there's no connection with any of these places, it's all superficial.

Somehow I still like all the Besthesda Fallout games, and I think that stems more from Fallouthaving its own unique sense of character - from its aesthetics to its soundtrack, which eases me into the innately ludicrous reality of a Besthesda open world romp. Skyrim, perhaps due to its genre, just seems to take itself a little bit too seriously, but without some deeper hook - be it story, or making the inhabitants feel like they actually live in Skyrim itself as opposed to being there solely to give the player stuff to do, I just don't care.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim Switch - shock of the century   Skyrim Switch - shock of the century - Page 2 EmptyWed 6 Sep 2017 - 18:11

I've preordered this via Amazon in a similar offer Cappa posted about Tesco but was only on select games unlike Tesco but most Switch games I want a Special Edition for that I'll wait to see, unlike Skyrim.

As you know from other threads etc I've never really played Skyrim and never been fussed to do so but the more I see of the game on Switch and slightly talking about it on Gracklecast EP2, I'm well up for a game like this on Switch.

And more shocking for some, as you know I like those resolution and frame rates, with the PS4 Special Edition version on my Pro would be the best way I can play but from what DF has said about the Switch version it's sort of a Special Edition-lite where it seems to be more of a best of last gen versions with actual stable frame rate unlike the 360 and especially the PS3 with slightly better textures but not quite up to par with what you get on PS4, One and PC now.

But that doesn't bother me that much, I've got to a point with the Switch and even brought this up with FIFA that a bit like with the VITA that I'd sooner have on Switch then PS4 now a game.

I don't know really know why part from loving the hardware, I do however need to play the Switch more though as most of my time is still spent on the PS4.

I do feel for the first time since the GameCube, being Nintendo only is actually viable, well unless FIFA 18 flops and we don't see FIFA 19 etc for instance but even then 6 months in we're seeing loads of games that I don't even know if we need those sort of games and I think I would have enough to play.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim Switch - shock of the century   Skyrim Switch - shock of the century - Page 2 EmptyWed 6 Sep 2017 - 21:32

Despite my fear of open world games, I'm probably going to get this. Jay's talk of "sneaky archer" has me intrigued, for a good bit of archery in a game is nice. Plus also my macabre and effervescent desire to support third parties on the Switch.

The graphical ranking you've just given it there, mas, is exactly where I would expect Switchrim to be... which is good to hear, to be honest. Winky Face
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim Switch - shock of the century   Skyrim Switch - shock of the century - Page 2 EmptyWed 6 Sep 2017 - 23:06

I mentioned on the first page of this thread that I'd only be interested if it released on Switch with all the DLC... and thankfully, after a cursory Google search:

"Skyrim also includes all official add-ons – Dawnguard, Hearthfire, and Dragonborn." (source)

Thank goodness. Dance
Back to top Go down
Gwyn400
FMK Tagline
Gwyn400

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim Switch - shock of the century   Skyrim Switch - shock of the century - Page 2 EmptyThu 7 Sep 2017 - 10:13

I've bought this game 3 times, played it about 5 times and finished it 0 times. Every year or so I get the urge to play it and then around halfway through I remember it's actually not very good and stop playing. But I'll buy it again on Switch and will probably do the same again, although I'm hoping having the option to play it handheld will motivate me to actually finish it
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim Switch - shock of the century   Skyrim Switch - shock of the century - Page 2 EmptyThu 7 Sep 2017 - 15:52

The graphical ranking is an odd one as it will lead to the Switch is underpowered and that's why it hasn't got Destiny 2 but as we know the Wii was underpowered but had decent 3rd party support along with the Switch being handheld like and what I've said for ages, it'll get what 3DS & VITA would have.

I always thought we get the DLC, Jay but just what version of the game which seems to be the last gen GOTY version but slghtly better.

Yeah, Muss said similar Gwyn that the game isn't actually that good.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim Switch - shock of the century   Skyrim Switch - shock of the century - Page 2 EmptyThu 7 Sep 2017 - 19:38

JayMoyles wrote:
I mentioned on the first page of this thread that I'd only be interested if it released on Switch with all the DLC... and thankfully, after a cursory Google search:

"Skyrim also includes all official add-ons – Dawnguard, Hearthfire, and Dragonborn." (source)

Thank goodness. Dance

This is what I wanted to hear! Thumbs Up! Will almost certainly be picking this up now - and not getting very far because it feels grossly inferior to BotW. Winky Face
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim Switch - shock of the century   Skyrim Switch - shock of the century - Page 2 EmptyThu 7 Sep 2017 - 20:57

I mean, I can tell you for a fact that it will be. Laughing

I recommend sticking with it though - considering it'd be your first Bethesda game, it'll all feel fresh to you rather than feeling eerily similar to their previous works.
Back to top Go down
Gwyn400
FMK Tagline
Gwyn400

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim Switch - shock of the century   Skyrim Switch - shock of the century - Page 2 EmptyThu 7 Sep 2017 - 21:02

masofdas wrote:
Yeah, Muss said similar Gwyn that the game isn't actually that good.  

I think my main problem with the game is that I always reach a point where it's no longer any fun to explore because all the loot I find is useless, it's usually just weapons and armour which won't be as good as the stuff I already have at that point in the game. That's one of the reasons I actually liked Breath of the Wild's weapon system.
I never actually got around to any of the DLC content though so hopefully that will breathe some new life into it and I'm planning to try a different class to what I usually do
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim Switch - shock of the century   Skyrim Switch - shock of the century - Page 2 EmptySun 19 Nov 2017 - 11:51

I picked this up on Switch as I want to support Bethesda and 3rd parties on Switch and unlike DOOM, I didn't mind as much the Switch version being not as impressive as the other systems.

The game does seem to be the special edition but at like low-settings, meaning it is still going to look and run better compared to the PS360 which is grand as that is impressive on a handheld.

I don't know how much I'll play in handheld mode though and my brief time playing has been in console mode. Now even though I've just said I don't mind the game running at 900p instead of 2160p, the game looks awful and even resolution won't fix that.

Now I've never played Skyrim but like most of you have I've seen it along with Bethesda's other games and they've never not looked great as they've used the same engine since the dawn of time (okay since Morrowind but please use one of the other engines at your disposable for TES: VI) and I think Skyrim suffers from Twilight Princess HD-Syndrome, that this version of Skyrim along with the PS4ONE do look way better then the standard version from 6 years ago.

Just like how TPHD does compared to how it looked like on Cube (I know this was a bigger gap between versions) but sort of in our minds the game became rose-tinted, I wait for Balla to appear and bring up why this is why Zelda shouldn't go back to realistic and I may have to agree in some ways.

Out of the gate the game could look possibly amazing (looks at Witcher 3, Horizon Zero Dawn) but in 10 years may have aged worse then Macaulay Culkin. Yet I'm not sure Skyrim looked good to begin with, looking back the comments from some of you.

It to me looks and feels (the other big one) not a lot different to Morrowind or Oblivion which are how old, I think if I had played it 6 years ago then I may have thought this now looks like how I remember it did on PS360 but playing it for the first time reminds me more of what those two look like in my mind.

I will continue playing it as underneath it's looks, it very well maybe the game people have banged on about for years but I can see the likes of Balla (sorry to use again) going from Zelda to this and being almost instantly turned off.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim Switch - shock of the century   Skyrim Switch - shock of the century - Page 2 EmptySun 19 Nov 2017 - 14:48

I'm going to gather a lot of trade-ins together before I get this... but I will get it. Its time will come. Cool I'm looking forward to hearing NPC's tell me about the arrows they've taken to the knee, purely so that I can experience the only thing I know about Skyrim. Embarrassed
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim Switch - shock of the century   Skyrim Switch - shock of the century - Page 2 EmptySun 19 Nov 2017 - 18:22

Chrimbo game, most likely... but it's going to have to fight awfully hard with XC2 for my time if so.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim Switch - shock of the century   Skyrim Switch - shock of the century - Page 2 EmptySun 19 Nov 2017 - 19:11

It's a Christmas game for me too! And actually, thinking about it now, that'll make it the third time it's been a Christmas game for me - once on 360, once as a Steam gift and now on Switch.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim Switch - shock of the century   Skyrim Switch - shock of the century - Page 2 EmptySun 19 Nov 2017 - 22:05

Skyrim Switch - shock of the century - Page 2 Tenor
I really don't need to play this again, having dumped 200 hours into it, including different chars to do different guilds and - gasp! - complete one major sidequest in 2 different ways. But my 360's stored away now. No. No. No. *rocks back and forth*
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim Switch - shock of the century   Skyrim Switch - shock of the century - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Skyrim Switch - shock of the century
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next