We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0

Go down 
+11
Athrun888
Balladeer
Buskalilly
The_Jaster
Jimbob
OrangeRakoon
Crumpy Andy
JayMoyles
masofdas
The Cappuccino Kid
ZeroJones
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 17 EmptySat 17 Mar 2018 - 19:10

My opinion on the motorcycle and Space Harrier levels are exactly opposite to yours. The collision detection on the motorcycle level meant several terrible deaths, which was frustrating but I kind of love Space Harrier and seeing it in Bayo style made me happy. Love

Last edited by ZeroJones on Sun 18 Mar 2018 - 6:29; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Removal of some rogue IT)
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 17 EmptySun 18 Mar 2018 - 0:02

I wasn't thrilled with the motorcycle level, but I didn't have any trouble with it either. Harmless, all told.

I think my problems with the Space Harrier level were that the missile took up so much of the screen that it was tough to tell when bullets were approaching you, so I spent entirely too long spamming the dodge button which made me want to heave with how crazy the camera acted upon dodging.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 17 EmptySun 18 Mar 2018 - 10:20

Balladeer wrote:

Gorogoa was, for me anyway, a sufferer of Undertale Syndrome: a term I'm coining for games that are good, hyped up to be world-changing, and are therefore more disappointing to play than they should be.

Muss wrote:
Speaking for myself, I find it hard to disassociate hype from experience. Take The Hunger Games, I heard nothing but superlatives about it, but when I watched it I thought it was incredibly mediocre. The same is true for Persona 5. I'm not sure that this necessarily would make me change my verdict of a thing, but a part of me is always going to be weighing my experience against the hype, wondering if I've missed something or everyone else is just silly.

I mean I soldiered through P5, in part because it was expensive, but also because I was hoping at some point maybe, just maybe, the hype would click.

We come to my Undertale Syndrome game and much like Muss, I soldiered through wondering if I've missed something or everyone else is just silly as

Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 17 Maxresdefault

Which I stayed up to finish last night with a good 4hr session, just to finish it and get it done as I don't get it, the platforming is good but hard (I know that's the point) and just becomes frustrating, the story is decent with Chapter 6 being a real standout but it's just decent.

Celeste gets a good game rating, with it just being hyped up to be world-changing as Balla put it about Undertale / Gorogoa (Which I plan to play next) where it really isn't.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 17 EmptySun 18 Mar 2018 - 14:03

masofdas wrote:
the platforming is good but hard (I know that's the point) and just becomes frustrating

I'd be struggling to call it frustrating purely because of how tight the controls are and how smoothly Madeline darts about the screen. If it's a difficulty issue then there's always the Assist/Easy mode to help you through things. It's not like it's something like I Wanna Be The Guy where it's not only difficult but handles like a tugboat through treacle and is consequently infuriating to play.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 17 EmptySun 18 Mar 2018 - 14:27

Well it's now beaten and don't plan to go back to it like doing B sides or anything.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 17 EmptySun 18 Mar 2018 - 18:23

Thank you for playing it and giving it a go anyway, mas. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 17 EmptySun 18 Mar 2018 - 20:37

Sigh. I can't say I'm surprised: apart from anything else, you never seemed that keen to enter into it, which is always going to skew your view. And I never talked it up to be world-changing: it just does the things it does really well. At least you had a go.

masofdas wrote:
Which I stayed up to finish last night with a good 4hr session...

This probably doesn't help either. If I played Celeste for 4h it'd almost be done and I'd probably hate it too.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 17 EmptySun 18 Mar 2018 - 20:49

Yeah, I've had my last two sessions be no more than an hour to an hour and a half long. It's definitely a "in short bursts" game, and my hands thank me for it!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 17 EmptySun 18 Mar 2018 - 21:02

That was a bit of a misquote that Balla but I was using the Undertale example which originally came from

Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 17 H2x1_NSwitchDS_Gorogoa_image1600w

Which I just finished after downloading this afternoon and using the £3.50 I had in Gold before they ran out at the end of the month. I really like art-style, the puzzles are clever and challenging.

It's just not my sort of game but I can see why it well received by people but for myself, it was just okay to good.

PS on Celeste I did like the music especially during Chapter 6 & I really liked that chapter and can see that being something that would elevate it to a great game, just wasn't that keen on rest.

Yeah maybe I shouldn't have played it to sittings with one being 4hrs long but just how I ended up playing as I waiting for it to click and kept going then by the time I got to Chapter 6, I thought I would just get it done.

Plus like you say I wasn't keen on it before the vote which was what swayed me as I didn't think it looked that good and thought it was pricey but you can't get the story across in a screenshot.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 17 EmptySun 18 Mar 2018 - 22:33

Balladeer wrote:
Sigh.  I can't say I'm surprised: apart from anything else, you never seemed that keen to enter into it, which is always going to skew your view.  And I never talked it up to be world-changing: it just does the things it does really well.  At least you had a go.

masofdas wrote:
Which I stayed up to finish last night with a good 4hr session...

This probably doesn't help either.  If I played Celeste for 4h it'd almost be done and I'd probably hate it too.
Maybe it's just me but I spent roughly an hour and a half on it earlier and only stopped because I had to eat, definitely not because I wanted to.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 17 EmptyMon 19 Mar 2018 - 19:30

Hey, if it works for you! I would have probably hurled my Switch through a window.

masofdas wrote:
Plus like you say I wasn't keen on it before the vote which was what swayed me as I didn't think it looked that good and thought it was pricey but you can't get the story across in a screenshot.

I mean, fair play for admitting it. I can't really rag on people for pre-judging games: I pre-judge entire genres. But it is going to skew your enjoyment of the end product, and hopefully you can see why I therefore think it's likely to be closer to this:

masofdas wrote:
...wondering if I've missed something...

than this:

masofdas wrote:
...or everyone else is just silly as...

(Also I'm not a fan of pixel art, notoriously so, and I didn't have a problem. Eh? Am probably the worst chap to ask about value for money though... although I thought it was money less wasted than the £1.99 I paid for Gorogoa.)
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 17 EmptyFri 23 Mar 2018 - 19:14

SteamWorld Heist: Ultimate Edition

Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 17 Cover_large

Difficulty Setting Used: Experienced (rough equivalent of 'Normal')

I've had this in for review for the past fortnight, so more in-depth thoughts are coming soon on the Old Gintendo site. Suffice to say it's the same great game on both the big and little screen.

17/20
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 17 EmptySat 24 Mar 2018 - 18:48

I'll be sure to check out your full write up. I recently beat Steam World Heist (Standard edition) on the second highest difficulty (whatever that's called) and for the most part had a really good time with it. There's a nice variety of classes, and I very much like how much personality is crammed into each Steam Bot. For me the game was perhaps a little too long - but that could be symptomatic of playing it on hard mode throughout as I felt the need to replay older levels in order to level up new recruits and get an indication as to what they were capable of. Still, a very fun game that I'd recommend at both an on sale and regular price.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 17 EmptyWed 28 Mar 2018 - 20:44

In recent days I have completed three games. My thoughts are spoiler tagged for length. Even in my head, which is weird.

The Men Of Yoshiwara: Ohgiya (Switch):

Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting (SNES Mini):

Star Fox/StarWing (SNES Mini):
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 17 EmptyWed 28 Mar 2018 - 21:17

I believe another Otome came out recently as well, I got a feeling it might be from the same people, I don't know if it's any better or worse though.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 17 EmptySat 31 Mar 2018 - 9:50

Interesting SNES Mini Reviews there. I worry about nostalgia sometimes with that, but in all fairness Starfox and SFII are probably not the best examples of games holding up. Link to the Past is probably still a 20-er!

Technically this is "my mum played some games and here are my thoughts" but I didn't think it was worth starting a topic:
Rime:
Journey:
Aer: Memories of Old:
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 17 EmptySat 31 Mar 2018 - 15:47

I finished Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 a few months back.  It was okay, but really missed a lot of opportunities that make it worse than the original in my eyes.  

Sure, it had better gameplay with heavily refined mechanics (and no more stupid Super Armour bosses), but the story was lazy as hell this time.  The first game messed around with events from the shows history and had some downright hilarious scenarios occur.  This time they just decided to slap movie villains (the non-canon super bland boring ones) into things and call it a day (by the time Broly showed up you could tell they'd stopped caring, nobody even remarks on him being in the Majin Vegeta v Goku fight.   LAAAAAAAZY).  

The actual original story was better, but considering that only really kicked in at the very end of the game... Yeah.  When your entire gimmick is fanservice and you fail to capitalise on it you done goofed.

Overall Rating: 5/10
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 17 EmptyMon 2 Apr 2018 - 0:31

masofdas wrote:
I believe another Otome came out recently as well, I got a feeling it might be from the same people, I don't know if it's any better or worse though.

There are two Men Of Yoshiwara games on the eShop at the moment, but I've found that they're not worth the time or money, really. Aww!

Jimbob wrote:
Interesting SNES Mini Reviews there. I worry about nostalgia sometimes with that, but in all fairness Starfox and SFII are probably not the best examples of games holding up. Link to the Past is probably still a 20-er!

We shall see. Winky Face In the meantime, I've finished another three games.

Dragon Quest VIII:

Star Fox 2:

Kirby Star Allies:
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 17 EmptyMon 2 Apr 2018 - 7:10

You almost had me sold on returning to DQ8 until you started picking on best boy - DQ7. Appalling Razz
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 17 EmptyMon 2 Apr 2018 - 8:05

All I can say is that we must want different things from Dragon Quest games. The only things lacking in 8 are the job system and a bit of spark early on.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 17 EmptyFri 6 Apr 2018 - 9:25

You can tell that the school holidays are here, can't you? Winky Face

Super Mario World (SNES Mini):

Detective Pikachu:

Shu:
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 17 EmptyFri 6 Apr 2018 - 12:15

Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 17 H2x1_NSwitch_KirbyStarAllies

Star Allies sort of takes Kirby back to basics with a few new ideas but really want you're getting an easy 2D platformer, aimed at a young audience with the upcoming re-release of Donkey Kong more for someone wanting a challenge from a 2D platfromer.

I did enjoy Kirby and always liked the series but can see some getting bored, the biggest positive is the last boss which at points could be out of Bayonetta.

I'm giving Kirby an okay to good, really depending if you like Kirby games.

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 17 EmptyFri 6 Apr 2018 - 19:28

One thing Kirby regularly manages is knocking it out of the park with their weird, at times nightmarish, final bosses.  Robobot did the same.

ZeroJones wrote:
I'm planning a review for Gintendo so I won't say too much here. The long story short is that it isn't as fun as it thinks it is.

10/20

That's disappointing, I was hoping to enjoy this vicariously. Aww!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 17 EmptySat 7 Apr 2018 - 11:12

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy
Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 17 6e071717712583478eab2b6b0df30049
I finished all three of these games when they came out on the DS, but I recently finished off my replay on the 3DS. It only reinforced what I'd always thought: absolute masterpieces.

I'd forgotten almost everything about the games, so the story was enjoyable all over again and I got to experience the puzzle of teasing out solutions to each case. I did find it a hell of a lot easier than I did originally, but I was a stupid teen. There are definitely criticisms to the interaction of these games, with a couple of situations where I'd reached a solution but I had to reach it and present it in the way and order that was in the script.

These situations were few and far between, however, and at the end of the day this story and these characters were more than worth it. A riveting tale which genuinely feels like it has a lot to say. It delves deep into the law, justice, obsession, death and love like videogame storytelling rarely manages.

I've got lots more I want to write, so keep an eye on gintendo for my case diaries and also another article I'm thinking about.

I'm very glad that this time around, the blow of reaching the end is softened by the knowledge I've got 3+ more games waiting for me Grin
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 17 EmptySat 7 Apr 2018 - 11:56

I've not got any input, sorry Drunka.

Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 17 Maxresdefault

Muss and I were talking a while ago about FMV games, he brought up The Bunker which is from Wales Interactive. Late Shift is also from them and it's an odd experience as you'll see from the picture about it being at some film events, it's just like watching a film that you can make some choices along the way.

Late Shift does have 7 endings, I only played it once as I'm that sort of person and that's my story of Late Shift but even if I wasn't I'm not sure I would want to play or in this case pretty much watch the same film 7 times to just see all the endings and get all the achievements.

Much like Her Story, it shows FMV can work for games, just it's just okay and the acting which of course is a big deal in this does feel very straight to DVD.

I think it's worth a look from a curiosity standpoint.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 17 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0
Page 17 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next