We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

DownLoadable Chat

Go down 
+4
The_Jaster
Muss
JayMoyles
masofdas
8 posters
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

DownLoadable Chat Empty
PostSubject: DownLoadable Chat   DownLoadable Chat EmptyWed 22 Mar 2017 - 14:17

Now that a few of us have finished the "story" of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and when I popped my head in to the BotW, I did see some fresh talk on the DLC.

I was thinking what has been some of the best DLC around, I know this was talked about Mario Kart 8 but is their any else?

Personally Left Behind for The Last of Us (Saw they were on offer on PS4 and got the idea for this thread) has to be among some of the best story DLC ever as it just expanded on what was their and Ellie as a character which hopefully leads into Part II.

DownLoadable Chat The-last-of-us-left-behind-logo

One other that comes to mind is Mass Effect series, but more then anything The Citadel which was just pure fan-service after what was the ending of ME3.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

DownLoadable Chat Empty
PostSubject: Re: DownLoadable Chat   DownLoadable Chat EmptyWed 22 Mar 2017 - 22:53

The Shivering Isles from Oblivion comes to mind off the bat, as does Point Lookout from Fallout 3. They gave us great areas that felt suitably different from the main world and were long enough to sink your teeth into. Bethesda DLC - horse armour aside - is usually on point.

From a Nintendo standpoint, I'll tip my hat to SSB4's character DLC. Cloud, Bayonetta and Mewtwo were all great additions to the game.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

DownLoadable Chat Empty
PostSubject: Re: DownLoadable Chat   DownLoadable Chat EmptyThu 23 Mar 2017 - 1:23

Not sure I have actually bought any proper DLC's for console games. I had the flu when Dragon Age Origins came out so I treated myself to the deluxe edition on Steam, since it looked like something I could (and did) sink that week into without the flu making playing it unbearable. The Shale stuff was all really great, although it should have been in the base game. I think that's it though, for games available on console and PC!

I've bought a few downloadables for Steam games, but Crusader Kings II is the main one. I've not got the shitty unit packs and more cosmetics, but the expansion pack esque DLC's, the few that I have I've enjoyed a lot. They add a lot of new content to the game, stuff that's hard to explain to people who don't play so I won't go into detail (I had to watch a lot of tutorials on youtube just get a basic grasp of how to play the base game!).

Civ V also had some great DLC. I don't think I bought any of it, but it seemed to be that as long as someone in the multiplayer session had it I could use the content so that was cool.

I would like to get the latest Witcher 3 DLC in the near future, but that'll have to wait until I've got some more time (Damn Switchery). I feel like I'd like to start the base game again rather than pick up from a save that I already completed the main quest with. I'll probably get the Bloodborne DLC at some point, but again that'll be when I've got the time to actually start a new run of that game.

For me, I think a lot of games which get significant DLC are titles which I'll have known would get a lot of DLC (Fallout, Skyrim etc.), and so I wait for the inevitable GOTY edition. Or, I got the game before any good DLC was released and I'm happy enough with the base game (Last of Us, Bloodborne, Witcher 3), that, having completed it, I don't feel the need to get more content for it unless I'm considering doing another playthrough several months later (which, to date, I've never got round to doing).
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

DownLoadable Chat Empty
PostSubject: Re: DownLoadable Chat   DownLoadable Chat EmptyThu 23 Mar 2017 - 17:33

You need to get on Left Behind, Muss. I would go as far as saying it's better then the main game and less then a fiver on PSN and you don't need the mian game if you've played that on PS3 etc.

Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

DownLoadable Chat Empty
PostSubject: Re: DownLoadable Chat   DownLoadable Chat EmptyThu 23 Mar 2017 - 23:43

I'm going to pick a super obvious one which is the old hunters DLC for Bloodborne, fills in a fair bit of backstory for important characters of the main game & leans even more onto the H.P Lovecraft influence. I don't think I could play the game without going through it's areas as it would feel like I'm skipping an important part of the game.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

DownLoadable Chat Empty
PostSubject: Re: DownLoadable Chat   DownLoadable Chat EmptyFri 24 Mar 2017 - 6:06

Does Shovel Knight: Plague Of Shadows count? If so, Shovel Knight: Plague Of Shadows. If not... Eh?
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

DownLoadable Chat Empty
PostSubject: Re: DownLoadable Chat   DownLoadable Chat EmptyFri 24 Mar 2017 - 13:40

ZeroJones wrote:
Does Shovel Knight: Plague Of Shadows count? If so, Shovel Knight: Plague Of Shadows. If not... Eh?

That's an excellent shout. Smile
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

DownLoadable Chat Empty
PostSubject: Re: DownLoadable Chat   DownLoadable Chat EmptyFri 24 Mar 2017 - 14:51

That feels more of what once was a expansion, Morrowind had some good ones but playing it on OG Xbox meant I had to wait for GOTY edition to play them.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

DownLoadable Chat Empty
PostSubject: Re: DownLoadable Chat   DownLoadable Chat EmptySat 25 Mar 2017 - 11:53

Awkward opinion time - I didn't like Left Behind so much. I know it has "the feels" but there was a bit too much yapping and not enough doing stuff.

I'm with Jay though on Shivering Isles - that was absolute craziness after Oblivion.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

DownLoadable Chat Empty
PostSubject: Re: DownLoadable Chat   DownLoadable Chat EmptySat 25 Mar 2017 - 13:10

MK8 and SSB4 are obvious picks. I'd put Splatoon in here too, despite only having played it once: a game consisting almost entirely of DLC, and, if our Wii U vote is anything to go by (it is), a damn good one at that.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

DownLoadable Chat Empty
PostSubject: Re: DownLoadable Chat   DownLoadable Chat EmptySat 25 Mar 2017 - 15:38

The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine was amazing, one of the few times I haven't regretted returning to a game for the dlc.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

DownLoadable Chat Empty
PostSubject: Re: DownLoadable Chat   DownLoadable Chat EmptySat 25 Mar 2017 - 17:07

masofdas wrote:
You need to get on Left Behind, Muss. I would go as far as saying it's better then the main game and less then a fiver on PSN and you don't need the mian game if you've played that on PS3 etc.

The problem is that I don't have the last of us anymore and also I was very happy with how that game began and finished. Its dlc could be a world beater but I'm not hopping on until I really want to go through the original again.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

DownLoadable Chat Empty
PostSubject: Re: DownLoadable Chat   DownLoadable Chat EmptySat 25 Mar 2017 - 17:13

It's standalone mate that's why I said if you played TLoU on PS3 and just want to play Left Behind on PS4 you can. Sony has done this also with Infamous First Light being the standalone DLC for Second Son and the upcoming Uncharted Lost Legacy.

@Jim that's why I like as more about the feels and story then the gameplay.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

DownLoadable Chat Empty
PostSubject: Re: DownLoadable Chat   DownLoadable Chat EmptySat 25 Mar 2017 - 17:17

In that case I might try it before the sequel comes out as a teaser, but not for a while yet
Back to top Go down

DownLoadable Chat
Page 1 of 1