We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Party Games Line-Ups

Go down 
+5
Buskalilly
gjones
masofdas
Balladeer
The Cappuccino Kid
9 posters
AuthorMessage
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

Party Games Line-Ups Empty
PostSubject: Party Games Line-Ups   Party Games Line-Ups EmptySun 20 Aug 2017 - 18:16

Keeping going from the Super Debate thread...what's the best party games line-up?

Let's create a hypothetical scenario. You're going to a party, and your mates, your mates' mates, the tunes and the carryout are all sorted. You've also got every games system you can think of already there, with all the pads and room that you'd need. No games there though, for some reason. You're wanting to bring everybody together, gamers and non-gamers alike. You know your onions though, and you can think of the games that you'd take along to this party to play on all those systems. But you can only take three games! Because more than that any everybody's going to think that it's a sausagefest, and you're actually only there to get wrecked and get your hole.

So, what three games are you taking along, for your ultimate party games line-up? Also, why those three?

~

I'm bringing three games that have a simple set-up:

1. Donkey Konga (GameCube)

From experience, I can tell you that Donkey Konga was a fanny magnet. I used to take this to all sorts of parties, and everybody was well up for it. It was as much fun to watch as it was to play, and everybody was up for getting stuck in. Even the folks that were initially a bit resistant, they joined in, and those who were disinclined to play computer games did too. As entertaining as it is accessible, what a game.

2. Super Monkey Ball (GameCube)

Another game that's quite simple and fun, anybody can get to grips with Super Monkey Ball. But it's got the challenge there too, if anybody wants it. Plus: Monkey Target, which itself would have been the best game on quite a few of the systems that would be at this imaginary party. It's such a pure, playable, 'gamey' sort of game that anybody would enjoy.

3. Bishi Bashi Special (PSone)

This is easy to justify; as well as being the best minigame compilation ever, it's funny as fuck, easy to understand, and it cracks on at a great pace that doesn't hang out. Bishi Bashi Special is loaded with minigames, and loaded with character. I used to take this to parties all the time as well, and the sessions we played invariably lead to my mates' buying copies of their own. Absolutely superb!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Party Games Line-Ups   Party Games Line-Ups EmptySun 20 Aug 2017 - 18:44

Top thread!

1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch)

I've seen people who'd never play another game scramble over each other to get to Mario Kart. It's a good party game because, although the controls require a bit of explaining, chances are everyone who plays will have a decent finish over the course of four races. Whether it's quick learning or a last-minute Bullet Bill. And then they want to play again. My line-up would always include a Mario Kart, and this is the best one available.

2. Jackbox Party Pack 3 (various... but mostly Switch)

3's the one I've played, but I'm sure most of them could fit here. The big draws here are the simplicity and the fact that 8 people can play. Quiplash is simply some of the most fun I've had with people I barely know (lift your mind out of the gutter there), and the ability to choose your own questions leads to even better answers. 'What is going on in The Shard right now?' -> 'Tory orgy'. Superb.

3. Wario Ware: Mega Party Games (GC)

I've never played this. I've only watched people playing this. And I'm very sad about that. Wario Ware's controls are famously simple, its humour is genuinely funny, and I'm fairly sure it'll get harder to balance on top of a turtle stack as you have more drinks. AS IT WOULD IN REAL LIFE

Honourable Mentions: SSB4U, SMB2 (sorry Cappa), Game & Wario, Overcooked, Bishi Bashi (from what I've heard), Mario Power Tennis (the original's better but I reckon this would be the better party game)
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Party Games Line-Ups   Party Games Line-Ups EmptySun 20 Aug 2017 - 19:22

If it's my mates then the three games would be

Halo 2 Anniversary (XBONE), Halo 2 is still the best Halo for multiplayer and having a shinier version on One over the OG Xbox, just because I can

Super Smash Bros. Melee (GameCube), Got to have a fighting game and this is still the best SMASH and 4 of us can play unlike a Tekken or something

Mario Kart Double Dash (GameCube), Like Melee still the best and I want a fun racing game

Seems I'm taking a Cube and I guess I's have to replace Halo 2 with TimeSplitters 2 instead.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Party Games Line-Ups   Party Games Line-Ups EmptyMon 21 Aug 2017 - 12:15

Top thread idea.

I'm going to state the obvious first, as it's still a great game with others. Wii Sports continues to be perfect party fodder and something any able-bodied person can play.

I'd also throw in Rocket League as the premise is so simple. You don't need to explain the rules or the controls, yet it's a game that takes time to master too. Cars flying about trying to hit the ball is a riot with others.

With my mates, I'd likely bring PES but a safer option would be Mario Kart Wii. It's not my favourite Mario Kart, in fact, it's my least favourite, but it's the one everybody has played and the controls are more user-friendly. Like Cappa said with Donkey Konga, it's a bit of a fanny magnet and a good way to talk to them there females.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Party Games Line-Ups   Party Games Line-Ups EmptyMon 21 Aug 2017 - 20:45

Hmm . . . this is a position I'm quite familiar with. The games I'm picking aren't necessarily the ones I'd pick as multiplayer games with a group of mates who all videogame, but the the ones I'd pick for a proper party with a good mix of people and a lot of booze. Assume some drinking Mario Kart happened already at predrinks.

1. Getting Drunk: Wario Ware Smooth Moves, Wii

A great multiplayer game which can be played by just about anyone - and a good number of them at a time, too. It has a competitive edge but also a good dose of luck and silliness, meaning it won't automatically see the game playing geek in the room win every time. Most importantly, only one player is ever holding a controller at a time, so everyone else can be drinking.

2. Peak Partying: Spin The Bottle: Bumpy's Party, Wii U

Even better than Wario Ware for getting everyone involved in silly games. It'll have you standing up and dancing, touching one another, hiding wii remotes, generally doing weird and hilarious stuff. The way it randomly pairs players as teams game by game is great as well - this is the game 1, 2 Switch wishes it was.

3. The Come Down: Quiplash, Switch

All the getting up and dancing and copping a feel is brilliant while your getting pissed and feeling merry, but after a while the gin hits you hard and you either need to make a move to the pub/ club to stay awake or its time to play something like Quiplash. Sit back, let the brews slowly knock you out while your jokes get less funny but you laugh more anyway.

Last edited by Drunkalilly on Sun 10 Sep 2017 - 20:12; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Party Games Line-Ups   Party Games Line-Ups EmptyThu 24 Aug 2017 - 12:01

I'm fairly sure most of my non-GNamer friends would boak at the thought of Bumpie's Party. The same sedentary nature that leads them to reject Wii Sports, combined with the fact that they're awkward geeks, means that a lot of the games would be right out. Especially the touchy-feely ones. It's probably ideal for Cappa's hypothetical party though.

Rocket League, on the other hand, I reckon would go down well with everyone and anyone, even those not into footie/cars. I may be wrong (see Wii Sports), but I'm looking forward to trying my hypothesis. It's been elevated to must-have status on the back of that.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Party Games Line-Ups   Party Games Line-Ups EmptySun 10 Sep 2017 - 12:34

Most of my suggeschs (a 'word' that's easier to write than say) have already been taken. Nonetheless, let us proceed with Cappa's shindig. Cool

Jackbox Party Pack 3
I laughed so much it hurt... and then I kept on laughing. You really don't need to be a gamer to enjoy this one: just a soul with a phone and a sense of humour. A cracking party video game.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Nintendo's biggest party video game - yes, even more so than all the actual Mario Party games - 8 Deluxe packs in more courses and characters than ever before. Crank the speed up to 200cc, open the beers and get racing.

Runbow
Maybe too much of a gamer's game but this competitive platformer's bursts of gameplay are just right for non-gamers. The fact that you can get nine folk playing at once on the Wii U versh is a boon of sizeable proportions. Sizeable, I tells ya. Also, 13AM Games keep dropping hints that it's heading to Le Switch. Hold. Me. Back. Love
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Party Games Line-Ups   Party Games Line-Ups EmptySun 10 Sep 2017 - 20:18

Zero's line-up is the best bar mine so far. Nah nah! I did find Runbow more frustrating than anything when I played it, but that may well just be me being used to Mario's pixel-perfect controls and dash.

200cc at parties, though? Shocked
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Party Games Line-Ups   Party Games Line-Ups EmptySun 10 Sep 2017 - 20:20

Balladeer wrote:

This is a power play move from Zero Jones. Baller.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Party Games Line-Ups   Party Games Line-Ups EmptySun 10 Sep 2017 - 20:46

Drunkalilly wrote:
Balladeer wrote:

This is a power play move from Zero Jones. Baller.

I'm thinking of it as a great leveller between the gamers and the non-gamers... but I'll also take 'baller'. Excellent pun. Winky Face
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Party Games Line-Ups   Party Games Line-Ups EmptyMon 11 Sep 2017 - 1:41

This would be my perfect party game playlist and I invite GNamer to join the festivities:

1: Final Fantasy XIII

We'd start off with everybody gathering round as I play through FFXIII. And it wouldn't even be at any of the story bits, it'd just be me relentlessly farming enemies for materials in that big open plain area. Everyone will be raring to go after this.

2: Gran Turismo 4

None of that racing nonsense, though. Pure, unadulterated engine tuning fun. You'll all be in a fervent uproar by this point.

3: Civilization V

Look, I'm half way through a really long game here and I'm really close to a full military victory. Could you all leave now? Please?

serious picks: Smash Bros. (any of them) Guitar Hero World Tour, Jackbox Party Pack
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Party Games Line-Ups   Party Games Line-Ups EmptyMon 11 Sep 2017 - 5:49

The Moyles party sounds fun!

Moyles' party music of choice: elevator muzak
Moyles' party food of choice: breakfast cereal without milk that went stale two weeks ago
Moyles' party drink of choice: corked wine
Moyles' party decoration of choice: loose wires hanging out of the ceiling

Smash is an interesting one. I love ol' Smashers, you know that, but for me I think it's just the wrong side of too complex for a party game. Attack special jump block, and that's before you get into smash attacks and dodging... Guitar Hero is always going to be well received though! Are there any versions that can get four people playing at once? If not, I might pick Rock Band over it.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Party Games Line-Ups   Party Games Line-Ups EmptyMon 11 Sep 2017 - 18:38

I think on a casual level with drinks and items turned to max, people would get a kick out of Smash. I think the core appeal of seeing Mario beating up Pikachu is enough for folks!

Yep - every version of Guitar Hero from World Tour onwards has the full four player band lay-out like Rock Band.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Party Games Line-Ups   Party Games Line-Ups EmptyMon 11 Sep 2017 - 19:02

The real party starts here/Chest of beer ahead etc etc etc.

1. Dark Souls: Prepare to get drunk edition - One person starts off and when they die they have to down their remaining drink or take a shot then pass the controller to the new player & then you rinse and repeat.

2. Dark Sou........*is shot by Balla* ..............

Balladeer

Balladeer

Balladeer

Balladeer

Balladeer

Balladeer

----

There's already been some great picks but here goes the real games I'd have:

1. Warioware: Smooth moves - Because the form baton & wii is easy to grasp for anyone who doesn't play games.

2. PES 2018 - Totally cheating by picking a game that isn't even out yet but I know for a fact that it having the 3 vs 3 mode would be a right laugh.

3. Wii sports resort - A lot more games to play than the first game & the table tennis is fucking quality![/b]
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Party Games Line-Ups   Party Games Line-Ups EmptyMon 11 Sep 2017 - 19:14

The_Jaster wrote:
1. Dark Souls: Prepare to get drunk edition - One person starts off and when they die they have to down their remaining drink or take a shot then pass the controller to the new player & then you rinse and repeat.

Fun fact: I have actually been planning to organise a party/ stream around this exact concept for a while!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Party Games Line-Ups   Party Games Line-Ups EmptyMon 11 Sep 2017 - 19:46

You're damn right about the shot... of vodka that is!

Party Games Line-Ups Wahey
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Party Games Line-Ups   Party Games Line-Ups EmptyThu 14 Sep 2017 - 22:33

I've tried to have a good think about this, but my answers are basically everyone else's:

1. Mario Kart 8 - everyone loves Mario Kart. Even Peter Crouch. He plays as Toad. Not even BBC Sport messed that graphic up.
2. Mario Party 2 - for when people secretly hate each other. Also takes a long time. I'm not really a party person
3. Game n Wario - Pictionary - or whatever the real name of Orbulon's game is. G&W was disappointing, but we've had some fair old giggles over this.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Party Games Line-Ups   Party Games Line-Ups EmptyFri 15 Sep 2017 - 19:31

It's called Artist, and has more than justified the price of Game and Wario by itself.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Party Games Line-Ups   Party Games Line-Ups EmptyFri 15 Sep 2017 - 20:19

He's not wrong, even if it is dressed-up Pictionary it's an absolute corker.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Party Games Line-Ups   Party Games Line-Ups EmptyFri 15 Sep 2017 - 20:27

It is dressed-up pictionary, but man it used the gamepad so well.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Party Games Line-Ups   Party Games Line-Ups EmptyWed 20 Sep 2017 - 23:27

Party Games Line-Ups Tumblr_owlnpkok8c1rbui8to1_1280
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Party Games Line-Ups   Party Games Line-Ups EmptyThu 21 Sep 2017 - 0:00

Perfect. Just like how I remember them from Harry Potter.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Party Games Line-Ups   Party Games Line-Ups EmptyThu 21 Sep 2017 - 20:43

Just the sort of thing that made the game great. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Party Games Line-Ups   Party Games Line-Ups EmptySun 24 Sep 2017 - 23:44

Disclaimer: that was the last one as the timer was running out.
Claimer: I am 34 years old.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Party Games Line-Ups   Party Games Line-Ups EmptyMon 25 Sep 2017 - 20:17

Pin it on your fridge, Jimmers. Pride of place.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Party Games Line-Ups   Party Games Line-Ups Empty

Back to top Go down

Party Games Line-Ups
Page 1 of 1