We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight

Go down 
+4
Crumpy Andy
Balladeer
Buskalilly
masofdas
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight  Empty
PostSubject: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight  EmptySat 13 Jan 2018 - 11:35

Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight  Direct_Ys8-1000x562

Falcom's Ys VIII is heading to the Switch this year thanks to NIS pushing for it from rumours. I've never played a Ys game but I know of the series and I was even tempted to pick up VIII but wasn't sure if I should go PS4 becasue I mainly play on a TV or on VITA as I do like a JRPG on a handheld and I never bothered in the end.

The Switch version is perfect for me and should have the new translation
Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight  DTM2v7NU8AEXOtA Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight  DTM2v7LUQAA1QVV

Athrun can likely fill us in more about the game and series but I could see this at the right time being a bit of a hit on here with me, Balla, Zero and Jay.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight  EmptySat 13 Jan 2018 - 11:38

If I finish Xenbobob before this comes out, I might be tempted but big JRPGs do burn me out a little.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight  EmptySat 13 Jan 2018 - 13:45

I'm in Drunka's boat, only less likely to get burned out. Gives me very strong Xenoblade vibes, this, down to the stupidly dressed female character (the thread title is a dirty lie). So I'll probably pick it up, despite complaining bitterly about the dress sense.

Can't be as bad as Dahlia in XC2 though. No
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight  EmptySat 13 Jan 2018 - 16:48

It's an alright game. Combat is super basic but ultimately fine and watching your base grow is reasonably fun. Story is very long and grindy though, a game to pick up on the cheap/during a dry spell.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight  EmptySat 13 Jan 2018 - 17:27

One of these days I'll start a blog where I draw all of video gaming's scantily clad women in suits of armour. I'll just need to learn how to draw first...

Although building'n'action RPG scrapping reminds me of Ever Oasis - which I quite liked - I'm on the fence with this. My backlog already holds a fair few RPG's I liked the look of but never really clicked with (time for the Xenoblade Chronicles cough!). Aww!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight  EmptySat 13 Jan 2018 - 23:30

Balladeer wrote:
(the thread title is a dirty lie)

The title is an absolute banger and I can't believe I didn't notice right away. Nice one, Mas!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight  EmptySun 14 Jan 2018 - 11:26

Thanks Drunka

I think Andy is right, it is all about when this comes out but if it's July or something, then could see a few of us getting it.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight  EmptySat 7 Apr 2018 - 12:51

I wasn't far of it's June, oh wait loads are coming that time for Switch but got love that fanservice
Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight  Ys-VIII-Lacrimosa-of-Dana_2016_07-28-16_005
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight  EmptySun 8 Apr 2018 - 8:46

Can we talk about the word fanservice?

I'm fairly sure it just means something that's put into a game/ comic/ film/ whatever purely for the fans. Sometimes it's used in the context of taking a character who fans already lust after and giving them nude or scantily-clad scenes. I don't think it can just be used as a blanket term for all titillation.

We already have words for that, like "crass" and "pandering".
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight  EmptySun 8 Apr 2018 - 13:34

Sure, I can just imagine Balla rolling his eyes and saying something the lines of this game being fanservice heavy. I don't think it will actually be part from the Swimsuits DLC as it's no Senran Kagura.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight  EmptySun 8 Apr 2018 - 20:36

Forget the swimsuits, have you seen her regular clothing? Unless there's a really well explained reason in-game why this mystical maiden of magic wears two straps across her chest rather than proper clothing, I'm going to go with fanservice - or crass pandering, which does indeed work better.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight  EmptyMon 9 Apr 2018 - 15:45

Drunkalilly wrote:
Can we talk about the word fanservice?

I'm fairly sure it just means something that's put into a game/ comic/ film/ whatever purely for the fans. Sometimes it's used in the context of taking a character who fans already lust after and giving them nude or scantily-clad scenes. I don't think it can just be used as a blanket term for all titillation.

We already have words for that, like "crass" and "pandering".

I'd say you're absolutely right for the mediums you mentioned, but when it comes to anime and manga - and I suppose by extension games with an anime aesthetic - then "fanservice" does indeed refer to scantily clad costumes and whatnot.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight  EmptyThu 2 Aug 2018 - 22:27

masofdas wrote:
Sure, I can just imagine Balla rolling his eyes and saying something the lines of this game being fanservice heavy. I don't think it will actually be part from the Swimsuits DLC as it's no Senran Kagura.

Game's set on a tropical island, too. The swimsuits don't stick out as fanservice unlike other games where the cutscenes just look stupid when characters have all manner of accessories hanging off their arms and are wearing sunglasses or swimsuits.

Balladeer wrote:
Forget the swimsuits, have you seen her regular clothing?  Unless there's a really well explained reason in-game why this mystical maiden of magic wears two straps across her chest rather than proper clothing, I'm going to go with fanservice - or crass pandering, which does indeed work better.

Those are the clothes the entire tribe wears. Late-game stuff, though, but Dana doesn't turn up as a playable character until the late-game, either.

Anyway, it would be nice to discuss the game instead of have the thread be derailed by costume chat so I'll say no more.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight  EmptyFri 3 Aug 2018 - 20:53

I don't have the game, so can't say much about how it plays! Just how it looks. If they've got a good reason for it then fair enough.

I must be honest, I don't even know whether it's released yet. Is it? Any good?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight  EmptySat 4 Aug 2018 - 17:01

Fronk was trying to get me and Zero to get it over Octopath, I don't know if that says anything on the quality of the game. Just I've got so many RPG's of some sort to play and others coming this year still, that for me to get this it has to be cheap on any platform.
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight  EmptySun 5 Aug 2018 - 22:41

I do think it's a lot more interesting than Octopath Traveler, if only because Octopath Traveler doesn't really attempt to try anything new, and what is unique about it drags down its gameplay variety and makes it feel highly project-managed and segmented.

Both games are enjoyable though and worth checking out.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight  EmptyMon 6 Aug 2018 - 20:27

Well my parents can't find physical Octopath, so I've told them they could consider Ysate as a replacement birthday gift.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight  EmptyMon 6 Aug 2018 - 21:00

Even ordering online? I knew there were shortages in Japan for copies, but has it extended over here?
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight  EmptyMon 6 Aug 2018 - 21:04

I think we had it worse than Japan from what I remember.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight  EmptyMon 6 Aug 2018 - 21:57

False alarm, they've found a copy. Dance Dana will have to wait.
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight  EmptySun 9 Sep 2018 - 17:14

I'm about 30 hours into this, and I would recommend it! Although the original translation sounds hilarious ("Archeozoic Big Hole"), the new one is, shockingly, a lot more natural. Although sometimes the dialogue isn't totally smooth, and there are hiccups (a character called Quina got misspelt as Kuina in a dialogue choice) but these are rare.

Though who plays JRPGs for the perfect English translation anyway? The gameplay is really good - the battles are Tales-Of-esque, and it has a nifty way of recording the percentage of the dungeon you've explored and all the treasure chests and mineral deposits that are left for you to uncover, which indirectly encourages you to cover as much ground as you can - but none of the areas are intimidatingly large or bloated, meaning it's not overwhelming. (For all that I enjoyed the original Xenoblade Chronicles, for example, it was too big for my liking - to the point where I found traversing the land a little tedious - and I never finished it.)

The structure of the game is good too, whereby you're uncovering this new ground but also trying to find other castaways on the island, and building up relationships with them as well as jazzing up your weaponry and your village's defences as you find more stuff. It's just all quite tightly done. I've also been enjoying the way the story has developed, though critics seemed to slag off the story as not being very good, so maybe it goes to shit towards the end? I dunno yet.

Anyway, give it a bash if you fancy a thinking man's button masher of a JRPG rather than a turn-based affair!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight  EmptySun 9 Sep 2018 - 19:40

I do, but - argh. Four games on the go Rum! FOUR GAMES.

Well, three now. But Ysate is presumably a big one that requires a decent free slot in the gaming schedule. I does not have this.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight  EmptyMon 25 Oct 2021 - 20:15

I HAVE THIS

In news that will probably only be of interest to Rum, I've finally given this a decent crack of the whip, out from the shadow of NEO TWEWY. I don't think I'm going to be able to get on with the campyness of the writing from early forays - it's as bad as Xenoblade 2 when it comes to outfits for the ladies, and your first female companion is subject to a cringeworthy dropping-of-the-towel scene that's automatically going to put me against the game. The actual combat, though, is pretty fun. It doesn't feel particularly deep (as 'thinking man's button masher' would suggest), but it's quick and nippy and not super-super-easy. The first dungeon was similarly snappy, and the first boss was fun. I was a little bit disappointed to find out that the open world was not in fact open world and was instead Okamiden-style slices of it, but I guess that's what comes from an older game.

So, yep, 'salright! But dear God I am going to complain bitterly about the dress sense.
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight  EmptyMon 25 Oct 2021 - 22:10

Balladeer wrote:
 I don't think I'm going to be able to get on with the campyness of the writing from early forays - it's as bad as Xenoblade 2 when it comes to outfits for the ladies, and your first female companion is subject to a cringeworthy dropping-of-the-towel scene that's automatically going to put me against the game.

I've only played the first five hours or so of Xenoblade 2, but I remember one of the reasons I put it down again was because I found its treatment of female characters so incredibly jarring, so I'm a little surprised you think Ys VIII is as bad. Scenes like the one you mention are obviously tiresome, but overall I don't remember the female characters being nothing but walking pairs of boobs in quite the same way as XC2!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight  EmptyMon 25 Oct 2021 - 22:36

Granted, Laxia isn't as curvy as Pyrah, but she still has stupid armour that shows off her chest and bottom - and thus far VIII doesn't have the benefit of a Nia, One Of The Best Female Characters In Gaming. Instead it has a tiger-human hybrid swinging a broken anchor, apparently.

Second boss is a git. Fighting is fun!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight  Empty

Back to top Go down

Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next