Nintendo in encouraging Emio-lation shocker

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania

Go down 
+10
fronkhead
Raxicori
Crumpy Andy
OrangeRakoon
JayMoyles
Balladeer
The_Jaster
The Cappuccino Kid
masofdas
Buskalilly
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania   Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania - Page 4 EmptySat 21 Jul 2018 - 16:44

So, I've played my first few hours of this (currently at the greenpath) and it's good stuff so far. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania   Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania - Page 4 EmptySat 21 Jul 2018 - 20:38

And it only gets better! Looking forward to reading your thoughts on the game, Jas. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania   Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania - Page 4 EmptySat 21 Jul 2018 - 20:58

One thing I did pick up on during that first session was the jump not being pixel perfect, by that I mean you can't seem to jump right as you reach the very end of a ledge. The game doesn't seem like it's designed for that anyway so it's more the fault of my platforming brain than anything else.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania   Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania - Page 4 EmptySat 21 Jul 2018 - 21:00

Aye, don't worry about platforming too much in this. By the time platforming becomes important, the game gives you enough tools to avoid needing to be pixel perfect.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania   Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania - Page 4 EmptySun 22 Jul 2018 - 17:01

I saw Jas' name pop up in the corner of my TV announcing he was playing this. Very exciting prospect, as a man renowned for liking both Souls and Shovel Knight.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania   Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania - Page 4 EmptySun 22 Jul 2018 - 17:50

Along with his fav genre
Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania - Page 4 1522678463500

If we had a spectrum for who a game was made for and who it wasn't then I would be on my side and Jas would be on the other with this.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania   Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania - Page 4 EmptySun 22 Jul 2018 - 18:00

I've got photographic proof of Nintendo themselves using Metroidvania - I know I'm on the right side of history. Winky Face
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania   Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania - Page 4 EmptySun 22 Jul 2018 - 19:28

I can see this being Jas' GotY, quite possibly. Maybe that's plugging it a bit much, but all the foibles I can see, I imagine he won't mind or will actually like.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania   Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania - Page 4 EmptySun 22 Jul 2018 - 22:05

It's going to be in the conversation for me at least - fine effort from Team Cherry.

We've not even spoken about the fact there's another whopper content update next month! That's for free too, folks. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania   Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania - Page 4 EmptySun 22 Jul 2018 - 22:45

Drunkalilly wrote:
I saw Jas' name pop up in the corner of my TV announcing he was playing this. Very exciting prospect, as a man renowned for liking both Souls and Shovel Knight.

masofdas wrote:
Along with his fav genre
Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania - Page 4 1522678463500

If we had a spectrum for who a game was made for and who it wasn't then I would be on my side and Jas would be on the other with this.

Balladeer wrote:
I can see this being Jas' GotY, quite possibly.  Maybe that's plugging it a bit much, but all the foibles I can see, I imagine he won't mind or will actually like.

Nah, it's a shit game for cucks innit.

Winky Face

-------

If it keeps up what it's doing I can see it being up there for me but I've not actually played a whole lot of new games this year so it's not competing with much at the minute.

EDIT: Oh I forgot to say I had a wee spell of playing this in handheld mode today and was very pleased with how it looks BUT when you have it on a big telly the visuals really are something else.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania   Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania - Page 4 EmptyMon 23 Jul 2018 - 1:24

I think I played abou 50/50 handheld and telly.

It's also in contention for me, but I think I've only played three games released this year that could make the list so that's hardly a shocker.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania   Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania - Page 4 EmptyMon 23 Jul 2018 - 15:09

I prefer playing this on the TV, although that's more down to the Pro Controller than anything else.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania   Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania - Page 4 EmptyMon 23 Jul 2018 - 15:22

Apart from ARMS, this and Celeste are the two games to most make me regret forgetting to pack my Pro Controller. When I have an address, I might have to get my mum to post them over along with my smart shirts and ties.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania   Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania - Page 4 EmptyMon 23 Jul 2018 - 17:24

Ah, definitely! I found Celeste to be much trickier playing on the Joycon.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania   Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania - Page 4 EmptyMon 23 Jul 2018 - 17:45

Do you's play with the d-pad for movement? For any 2d game I used to but since the Switch came out I had no issues using the stick for games like this.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania   Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania - Page 4 EmptyMon 23 Jul 2018 - 20:48

I play in handheld mode mostly, and apart from anything else I find the D-Pad a bit awkward to access.  So I use the analogue stick.  It was particularly irritating for Celeste because you needed to move in diagonals, and I often died as a result.  Still.

Incidentally this, Celeste, and Sushi Striker are my three GotYs (GsotY?) so far.  Compare that to Zelda Mario and Xenoblade last year...  'Tis the year of the curious niche offering, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.  (One of them will probably get pushed out by under-the-radar niche title SSBU though.)

Sewers:

JayMoyles wrote:
Ah, the sewers. I wasn't too fond of that area... I'm not a fan of sewer levels in games at all. I can't even think of a single fun sewer level in any game I've played.

Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania   Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania - Page 4 EmptyMon 23 Jul 2018 - 22:10

If using on a TV, I would use the Pro and the D-Pad whilst in handheld, I would use the stick as the D-pad is naff.

On GOTY, my 5 so far has 3 what you would call curious niche offerings Night in the Woods, Subsurface Circular and Florence but that's not unusual for me to have some indies making my Top 5 even at the end of the year.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania   Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania - Page 4 EmptyTue 24 Jul 2018 - 14:01

The_Jaster wrote:
One thing I did pick up on during that first session was the jump not being pixel perfect, by that I mean you can't seem to jump right as you reach the very end of a ledge. The game doesn't seem like it's designed for that anyway so it's more the fault of my platforming brain than anything else.

I noticed this too but quickly adapted. I actually think it's because you can't jump after the character has gone off the edge. In most 2D platformers there is a grace period where despite the character being off the edge you can still jump, as this feels better to play. We as players don't really notice the grace period exists until it isn't there anymore.
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania   Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania - Page 4 EmptyTue 24 Jul 2018 - 16:51

Aye I adapted to it as well and since getting the mothwing cloak I'm really enjoy the movement the game gives you.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania   Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania - Page 4 EmptyTue 24 Jul 2018 - 21:41

Balladeer wrote:

JayMoyles wrote:
Ah, the sewers. I wasn't too fond of that area... I'm not a fan of sewer levels in games at all. I can't even think of a single fun sewer level in any game I've played.

I've not actually played TTYD...

The_Jaster wrote:
Aye I adapted to it as well and since getting the mothwing cloak I'm really enjoy the movement the game gives you.

It gets better too. I can't wait to talk about that platforming challenge I linked elsewhere in this thread.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania   Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania - Page 4 EmptyTue 24 Jul 2018 - 22:40

Just had a great wee session on this where I have a new dash charm, a wall jump & I beat the CoT area boss - Also I can only agree that the waterway (which I assume is the sewers) has some real annoying enemies like those stupid walking grub worms and the noises they make are horrid as well.

What a game though eh? Grin The next time I play I'm going on a wee back tracking mission to explore older parts of the map with my new abilities.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania   Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania - Page 4 EmptyTue 24 Jul 2018 - 22:43

Oh, the little worms that get all manic and fly really quickly at you? Yep, not a fan of those guys. The sound design in this has created some big gross-out moments - lots of squelches and slurps. Sick
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania   Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania - Page 4 EmptyWed 25 Jul 2018 - 21:16

I don't know, I don't mind them so much. It's the annoying flying buggers that irk me.

Also I think I found the plot again.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania   Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania - Page 4 EmptyThu 26 Jul 2018 - 21:46

What area are you in now then, Balla?
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania   Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania - Page 4 EmptySat 28 Jul 2018 - 9:49

Crystal Peaks, but I've just
Kinda vague plot spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania   Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Hollow Knight - A Bugger of a Metroidvania
Page 4 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next