Nintendo in encouraging Emio-lation shocker

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack

Go down 
+6
The_Jaster
Crumpy Andy
Buskalilly
JayMoyles
Balladeer
masofdas
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack Empty
PostSubject: Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack   Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack EmptyWed 10 Apr 2019 - 16:51

Avengers Endgame is out in two weeks and from the latest trailer, seems the heroes plan is to use the infinity stones to reverse what happened in infinity war.

That is clearly canon and part of the story but we've seen things with Disney such as a load of Star Wars stuff no longer being part of the canon. The upcoming Terminator film is basically a new Terminator 3 and will scrap anything after T2 that has already been.

Last year we got a new Halloween which seems to follow after the original even though they're 27 sequels and a reboot already.

This sort of thing seems to happen more with films but very recently we had Devil May Cry 5 which is great but if you think about it makes DmC rather redundant as that was meant to reboot the series.

That if you could take any game maybe a film if you wish and strike it from the canon, what would you get rid of?

Last edited by masofdas on Wed 10 Apr 2019 - 21:28; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack   Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack EmptyWed 10 Apr 2019 - 21:26

Hm, interesting. I suspect it'll mean more to your multiformat lads than me, because those games tend to be more story-focussed so 'canon' makes more sense. There are a couple of games I'd like to scratch because of the legacies they left on their series (Sticker Star springs to mind and hits me with a hammer sticker), but I'm guessing that's not what you mean? And I'm guessing it is just the one game?
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack   Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack EmptyWed 10 Apr 2019 - 21:32

Take it however you want, just curious if we could erase stuff like they do with films what would we erase. Those mostly erase story elements in a series, though.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack   Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack EmptyThu 11 Apr 2019 - 0:47

The only thing that comes to mind is DMC2 from both a gameplay and story perspective - Dante is just so boring - but they've basically scrubbed that from the records themselves!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack   Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack EmptyThu 11 Apr 2019 - 2:17

As far as I'm concerned, nothing in Dark Souls III was canon. Bunch of fanservice wank.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack   Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack EmptyThu 11 Apr 2019 - 8:05

DMC5, let me believe I might get a DmC2 again... please....

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack   Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack EmptyThu 11 Apr 2019 - 8:36

Drunkalilly wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, nothing in Dark Souls III was canon. Bunch of fanservice wank.

You could say the same for DaS II as well, the popularity of the previous game just forced them into making sequels.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack   Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack EmptyThu 11 Apr 2019 - 9:26

Strike the two Sonic The Hedgehog 4 episodes from canon. Sonic Mania was the true Sonic 4. I think everybody recognises that. 2010's Episode I and 2012's Episode II lack heart, and have shite physics and shite tunes. Neither is terrible, but they're completely forgettable and inessential. You probably forgot about them until I posted this to be fair.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack   Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack EmptyThu 11 Apr 2019 - 10:25

Part from Andy, some good choices. Well I don't know if Souls games are or not but I trust you Drunka.

Mine would be Mass Effect 3 .
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack   Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack EmptyThu 11 Apr 2019 - 15:20

I want a true sequel to the original Witcher that respects the choices I made through the game
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack   Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack EmptyThu 11 Apr 2019 - 16:26

The_Jaster wrote:
You could say the same for DaS II as well, the popularity of the previous game just forced them into making sequels.

Kinda, but Dark Souls II approached it from such an angle that it accepted the futility of the exercise and told a weird, personal, emotional tale with a strange and distant connection to the first . . . then Dark Souls III is all like "YOU REMEMBER THIS BOSS/ LOCATION/ CHARACTER? THEY'RE BACK AND ON FIRE! FUCK YOUR FAN THEORIES, THIS GUY'S THE HEIR AND HE'S ALSO ON FIRE!"
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack   Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack EmptyThu 11 Apr 2019 - 17:48

Haha fair enough & III was the only one I wasn't arsed about finishing all the dlc for, I didn't mind what the base game done but I think some of it may come off as fan service because Miyazaki was just clearly ready to move on & not to mention had already poured a lot of his best work into Bloodborne.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack   Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack EmptyThu 11 Apr 2019 - 18:46

For the sort of reasons Cappa gives, I'd erase Sticker Star and Colour Splash from canon, and indeed existence.

Oh, and of course - Metroid: Other M. Samus never did the whole 'BABYBABYBABY' thing and you can't tell me otherwise.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack   Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack EmptyThu 11 Apr 2019 - 19:44

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
Strike the two Sonic The Hedgehog 4 episodes from canon. Sonic Mania was the true Sonic 4. I think everybody recognises that. 2010's Episode I and 2012's Episode II lack heart, and have shite physics and shite tunes. Neither is terrible, but they're completely forgettable and inessential. You probably forgot about them until I posted this to be fair.

I got randomly reminded of them not long back and I thought it was mad at the time they slapped the number on there. Was it actually finished with episode 2? 2 episodes is a really weird number to have, then again it never should have been split up in the first place.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack   Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack EmptyThu 11 Apr 2019 - 23:52

Drunkalilly wrote:
The_Jaster wrote:

Kinda, but Dark Souls II approached it from such an angle that it accepted the futility of the exercise and told a weird, personal, emotional tale with a strange and distant connection to the first . . . then Dark Souls III is all like "YOU REMEMBER THIS BOSS/ LOCATION/ CHARACTER? THEY'RE BACK AND ON FIRE! FUCK YOUR FAN THEORIES, THIS GUY'S THE HEIR AND HE'S ALSO ON FIRE!"

I mean, besides Anor Londo and the final boss (which was a nice way to end the series, I though), was there a lot of fan-service?

I'd argue DSII was just as bad, what with Ornstein turning up and fake Blighttown and whatnot.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack   Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack EmptyFri 12 Apr 2019 - 2:40

I did like the final boss, actually.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack   Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack EmptySat 13 Apr 2019 - 0:01

I didn't have a problem with Anor Londo either actually because it was a nice surprise - running up towards it and getting the sense that the area leading up to Anor Londo was familiar before finally approaching the main castle itself. And the dread at going up to O&S's former boss room was brilliant - shame the boss contained within there was pretty pants, all told.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack   Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack EmptySat 13 Apr 2019 - 11:14

I've thought of something more along the lines of Sonic 4 and that's Halo 4 and 5.

Halo was special but these two just seemed to be dragging out the series with new enemies, heroes and a story that we didn't really need. Halo 6 will finish off this trilogy of games and seems 343 has listened to fans from what they have been saying about it but it still should have ended with Halo 3.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack   Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack EmptySat 13 Apr 2019 - 14:32

I actually liked 4 and the story of 5 but I kind of agree it would have been perfect if they'd let it stop with Bungie.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack   Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack EmptySat 13 Apr 2019 - 22:01

This Assassin's Creed bollocks, right? All of this "people have memories stored and we can play them back like we're going to the past" nonsense - and the idea that it's all tied in, and everyone important is an assassin, or a templar, or something. Get rid of all that. People really liked the Egyptian one and the Greek one, but because of the eras themselves. So get rid of the overarching plot, and change the series to:

Cool History Adventure Guy: Egyptian
Cool History Adventure Guy: Greek
Cool History Adventure Guy: Crusades
Cool History Adventure Guy: Renaissance
Cool History Adventure Guy: Colonial
Cool History Adventure Guy: French Revolution
Cool History Adventure Guy: Victorian
Cool History Adventure Guy: 2020 (This one's Far Cry 5)
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack   Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack EmptySun 14 Apr 2019 - 17:17

I think basically everyone in gaming who doesn't work for UbiSoft agrees with you on that one Jim!
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack   Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack EmptySun 14 Apr 2019 - 19:57

AssCreed defence force here, they have basically ditched it in the last 2. I enjoyed the present day bits up to 3 and I felt 4 had a nice little twist by basically making you a game tester.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack   Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack EmptyMon 15 Apr 2019 - 20:22

I had hoped the present day bits were leading up to a present day AC game, but I was thoroughly let down by the present day storyline conclusion in III and I'm glad to hear they've ditched that nonsense in the later games. I need to get around to playing through the AC series again - I dropped it after III.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack   Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack EmptyTue 16 Apr 2019 - 21:19

Apparently AC Unity is going to help rebuild Notre Dame and we all have to feel guilty apart from Andy.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack   Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack EmptyWed 17 Apr 2019 - 11:33

The present day animus stuff in 2 elevated the game imo, the problem was they didn't finish the story when it should have finished because the series blew up
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack   Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack Empty

Back to top Go down

Eternal Mario Sunshine of the Spotless MindJack
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next