We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Paper Mario: The Origami King

Go down 
+8
JayMoyles
Buskalilly
gjones
Balladeer
masofdas
Rum
The_Jaster
The Cappuccino Kid
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 4 EmptyFri 17 Jul 2020 - 18:59

If you'd played the first two Xenoblade games and were gutted about the direction of the third, I'd absolutely understand you doing that.  I'm very invested in the series and, as a result, the direction of this game.  Hell, I was really keen on it from early shots! I hope I'm not being too negative for people - I'm just really really disappointed.

When people actually start playing it and commenting on it I'll duck out unless addressed.

Last edited by Balladeer on Fri 17 Jul 2020 - 19:25; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Couple of explanatory sentences (and also a bit less grumpy I hope).)
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 4 EmptyFri 17 Jul 2020 - 20:26

We totally get it and I think a lot of folk would like them to be more like TTYD but it just seems like you are holding one hell of a grudge even though you know the series has moved on. I'm not saying you can't be disappointed that it's changed direction but given how everyone knows each others tastes in games around here it seems like it's something you could still have fun playing despite that.

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 4 EmptySat 18 Jul 2020 - 10:24

Go on then, I'll hide it.  Response to Jas.:
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 4 EmptySat 18 Jul 2020 - 11:11

Reply to Balla:
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 4 EmptySat 18 Jul 2020 - 11:26

Spoiler:

Last edited by Balladeer on Sat 18 Jul 2020 - 12:07; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 4 EmptySat 18 Jul 2020 - 11:28

Personally as you may have said Jas we might enjoy it still but I know when playing it's not what I want
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 4 EmptySat 18 Jul 2020 - 12:55

I'd personally prefer a Paper Mario that had more RPG mechanics, but I'm still interested in what this one has to offer. I won't be picking it up for a while as I'm still deeply rooted in FFXIV for the time being, but for those that have picked it up, how's it looking so far?
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Kriken
Layton's Apprentice
Kriken

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 4 EmptyTue 21 Jul 2020 - 18:11

I've been playing on my nephew's copy of the game and have been enjoying it. First time playing any Paper Mario game. The writing is gold. There have been some really creative and charming moments and it's really fun just exploring areas and interacting with stuff.

I don't mind the combat, but we'll see how I feel about it further on in the game. There are some neat aspects to it in how you can create desirable formations but it is pretty simple and easy.

The music and sound design is great. Pretty good production values from this game overall.

Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 4 EmptyTue 21 Jul 2020 - 22:42

Exactly my thoughts. I've not laughed out loud at anything yet, but my smile is deafening. My favourite part has been exploring the areas and interacting with stuff, and I totally agree about seeing how my feelings about the combat change during the game. I was getting a bit scunnered with it at the first boss, but then those creative and charming moments happened and I started to enjoy it a bit more. 

I'm maybe about four hours in - so far, so good!
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 4 EmptyWed 22 Jul 2020 - 10:11

Credits are just rolling for me, wonderful game from start to finish. Definitely the best one since TTYD, though comparing things to that is a terrible idea as it’s a comfortable all timer.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 4 EmptyWed 22 Jul 2020 - 12:22

I'd saw that you were playing it a lot. How long did it take you to reach the credits? I've only just beat the coloured pencils (not a spoiler I don't think, it's in all the trailers).
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 4 EmptyWed 22 Jul 2020 - 22:12

I reckon it was 15-20 hours, but I played it in a lot of smaller gaps so kind of hard to tell.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 4 EmptyThu 6 Aug 2020 - 11:11

I've heard from Andy that this is definitely worth a go - how've the rest of you found it?
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 4 EmptyThu 6 Aug 2020 - 12:23

I’ve liked what I’ve played of it, and I agree it’s worth a go. The settings, story, characters and script are all enjoyable, the sound design is magic, and it’s a really pretty game to look at in motion. I don’t dislike the combat, so it’s not a game-breaker, but I wouldn’t be keen for them to repeat this battle system with Paper Mario & William’s Wish Wellingtons (or whatever the next one is going to be called, hopefully that).

I don’t sense that it’s a 15-20 hour game. I’ve been playing for around 8 hours, and I’ve only just beat the second boss. I’m taking a break from it as I’m not in a rush to finish it, but I’ll go back. It’s good stuff.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 4 EmptyThu 6 Aug 2020 - 12:33

Nice one. I think I'll be checking out as one of my first post FFXIV game. Cheers for the write-up.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 4 EmptyMon 7 Sep 2020 - 15:59

Can only agree with Cappa and Andy; cracking game.

Remember all that chat about the plot not building to a climax and the game not having unique characters with their own designs? That was all just . . . not the case. Did a bunch of games sites totally mistranslate something again or what?
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 4 EmptyTue 8 Sep 2020 - 20:36

I too am really enjoying this, writing has been brilliant so far and gameplay is a lot more varied than I expected after the first few hours, it's done what I remember enjoying hugely in TTYD where each section seems to bring something new to the table.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 4 EmptyTue 26 Jan 2021 - 21:43

Just popping in to say I've been playing this - pretty far through it now I think (just got rid of the purple streamer).

It's fun, but the combat system does do my tits in a bit. It's somehow simultaneously unnecessarily complicated and overly simplistic. Thankfully you can pay some coins to get Toads to just come in and do a bunch of the work for you - though the fact that I rely on a mechanic where you get the game to play itself to stop myself from having to do it isn't a great sign.

TTYD it is not. Honestly, I think I enjoyed Colour Splash more... but it's still fine. I'll save my final judgements until I finish it though.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 4 EmptyTue 26 Jan 2021 - 23:40

Rum wrote:
It's fun, but the combat system does do my tits in a bit. It's somehow simultaneously unnecessarily complicated and overly simplistic. 

I dropped off of this months ago because of this. I know I said that the combat wasn't a game breaker, but it's just needless. Anytime I've tried to get back into The Origami King, but it's the combat that's stopping me.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 4 EmptyWed 27 Jan 2021 - 9:01

I did find in the latter half I was using money to solve complex ones quickly. The rest was good enough for me to push through the bleaker combat moments.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 4 EmptyThu 28 Jan 2021 - 0:42

Me being an idiot, I stubbornly refused to use any kind of help most of the time.
Then, recently, I was watching a friend play it and she was using items and hints and all sorts and having fun and I was suddenly reminded that people with healthy brains play videogames very differently . . .
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 4 EmptyThu 28 Jan 2021 - 12:52

I'm similar although I've been getting better at it, previously if something like that bothered me I'd stop playing altogether but more recently I'll try an compromise my principals and just enjoy it for what it is, Paper Mario was one of those cases at points for sure but if it's the game then it's fair game.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Paper Mario: The Origami King
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4