Nintendo in encouraging Emio-lation shocker

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts

Go down 
+11
Kriken
Balladeer
Crumpy Andy
Muss
Rum
JayMoyles
The_Jaster
Jimbob
OrangeRakoon
gjones
masofdas
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 36  Next
AuthorMessage
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 EmptyThu 6 Apr 2023 - 9:30

I've been waiting for a hefty price drop on the Castlevania Advance collection for seemingly ages. I have to admit that I much prefer the older style Castlevania games though, I've tried Circle of the Moon and Aria of Sorrow before and they didn't really keep me interested. I'm open-minded enough to try them again though.

~

Last wrestling review for a while.

Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 61V12ZN3G7L._AC_SX466_

From all the way back from pro wrestling’s supposed 1998 glory days, I played through WCW Nitro on the PSone. I never had this before finding a cheap copy in G-Force ( ☹ ) several years ago. I‘d just tried a OPSM demo, read some honking N64 Magazine reviews where they ripped the pi sh and left it at that for twenty-five years.

If memory serves me right, WCW Nitro came out several months after WCW/NWO World Tour did on the N64. When it was new, World Tour was wrestling’s greatest ever videogame. That’s because it had a massive variety of moves, dozens of unique playable characters, smooth performance and a degree of realism that the WWF games had always lacked. It was a winning formula, acting as a platform on which bonafide N64 belters like WCW/NWO Revenge and WWF No Mercy could develop. That was the famous and much-missed AKI engine at work. WCW Nitro, for some reason, uses a wholly different engine that goes in a totally different direction. Consequently, it ends up being an infinitely less successful game because of it.

Apart from its WCW Thunder sequel, there’s no wrestling game that’s ever played liked WCW Nitro does. Alas, that’s because it’s utter rubbish. Slow, robotic and predictable, there’s no diversity at all between each wrestler’s power and agility or in the moves you can perform with them. This makes gameplay really boring, and makes the wrestlers feel exactly like a bunch of palette swaps from Mortal Kombat, except Lex Lugar is Scorpion and Randy Savage is Reptile (and Glacier is Sub Zero, natch). Barring finishers, lacking a bespoke moveset for each wrestler means that you quickly fall into a set way of playing the game, and quickly work out a reliable way to win irrespective of who you control or who you compete against. The difficulty options barely matter either, as the AI is impressively idiotic. I learned that you can just kick your AI opponent into a corner, continue booting them until their energy bar is depleted and then go for the pin – repeat that ten times and hey presto you’re the WCW Heavyweight Champion.

I can’t imagine a non-wrestling fan having a worse time with a PlayStation game. It’s a badly limited, ugly and clunky load of cobblers. And yet on the other side of the coin, I think it’s well worth checking out if you’ve ever been a wrestling fan. WCW Nitro’s one saving grace is its presentation: all the settings, commentary, music and particularly the personalities that made WCW so successful for that brief window in the late 1990s are presented here with aplomb. The FMV intros on the character select screen are – quite rightly – what the game is best known for:

Terrible, terrible gameplay though. 4/10.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 EmptyThu 6 Apr 2023 - 20:26

Those FMVs are brilliant, it's sad we won't ever get that kind of cheese from a wrestling game again, definitely a product of its time.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 EmptyFri 14 Apr 2023 - 21:11

Much like Balla on Castlevania not sure to put here or last game finished, as I played

Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 H2x1_GBA_MetroidFusion_image1600w

On Switch via NSO+

Said briefly elsewhere on the forum that I was enjoying Fusion a lot, as I just feel Metroidvanias work better in 2D than 3D and was fun watching some Mando S3 whilst playing this on my Switch in handheld mode.

Why I liked was the parts of the story are told to you instead of just finding lore, the boss fights and the art-style which I do think GBA hold up in general. Thanks to the Switch, I have now finished three Metroid games, bring on Other M Zero Mission which I'm guessing will build on what's here in Fusion?
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 EmptyTue 2 May 2023 - 15:50

It's what you've been yearning for: write-ups for old Nintendo 64 games that I mostly typed up in 2020~!

Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 51C9N8BXS1L._AC_SX466_

N64 Magazine said: “A real stinker of a Wipeout clone with pop-up, cheating opponents and terrible controls”. 10% in Issue 17, 0/5 in Issue 59.
C&VG Magazine said: “Nintendo should stop tarnishing it’s reputation with titles like this”. 1/5 in Issue 198.

“We love video games! Apart from AeroGauge”.

It received one of the most famous ‘bad’ N64 Magazine reviews back in 1998, yet it’s something that you can see got its fair share of acclaim elsewhere - I'm sure one of the jobber magazines gave it 86% or something. I don’t fully understand that perspective if I’m honest.

That said, I’d probably give AeroGauge a 10% score for originality. There’s this story about an international racing organisation starting up a new league with flying machines, where companies are invited to build a racecraft and sponsor a driver. It’s trying to be F-Zero X and the same time it’s trying to be Ridge Racer Type 4, and while in all fairness it supersedes both of those it’s told in a way that doesn’t affect the gameplay whatsoever. Speaking of which, in its gameplay AeroGuage just another bland futuristic racer with absolutely no pizazz and absolutely no distinguishable personality. There’s hee-haw that’s dynamic or creative in the way that AeroGauge plays.

AeroGauge has plenty of negatives to point out. The worst aspect of AeroGauge is unquestionably it’s AI, which cheats worse than treesmurf did in that Mario Strikers league we had. Basically, the speed in which the AI racers boost off the starting line makes them utterly impossible to catch. You actually can’t win in AeroGuage, I’m certain of it. I legitimately think that AeroGauge is an unfinishable game because of the AI. I had to illegitimately finish it here with a Xploder 64 cheat cartridge. Not that there’s much to finish, mind you; there’s only four courses and a couple of difficulty levels in a basic championship structure. You can actually play everything even if you finish last in each race. It’s accessibly inaccessible, if that at all makes sense.

Another criticism you could level at AeroGauge is the atrocious fogging and pop-up. It needs to be seen to be believed, it might be the worst on the N64 (and, remember, just about every game on the N64 has atrocious fogging anyway). That said, this might have been designed by choice. I think it’s this fogging and pop-up that let’s AeroGuage run as smoothly as it does. Pulling the same trick F-Zero X did later in 1998, everything moves and speeds along quite nicely and pretty responsively, almost fairly impressively. On that same vein I think the graphics and the track design aren’t bad at all either, and there's some very decent tunes here as well.

I felt duty-bound to play AeroGauge because of the “apart from AeroGauge” bit that’s the first thing you see on any GNamer Forum browser search. It’s not something I was excited about playing, and it wasn’t something I was excited about while playing it. It’s not a horrible game though, I’ve played many that are worse. Sorry to disappoint, but AeroGauge doesn’t really deserve an N64 Magazine-style baw-bootin’. 4/10.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 EmptyWed 3 May 2023 - 19:22

Acht, it must be the NTSC review I remember where the reviewer talked about shooting the developer in the head. You wouldn't get away with that nowadays (and justifiably so), but it was hilarious to tiny Balla at the time.

Less hilarious is this review. Aww! Only a 4/10? What are we going to put in the search engine text now!?

...never mind. Got it.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 EmptyMon 15 May 2023 - 23:31

Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 4837223-mortal-kombat-4-nintendo-64-front-cover

N64 Magazine said: “The best version of MK yet”. 84% in Issue 20, ⅖ in Issue 59.
N64 Pro said: “It’s incredibly fast, great to look at and superb fun to play. Unfortunately, it’s also the most unoriginal beat-’em-up I’ve ever played”. 83% in Issue 11.

1998’s Mortal Kombat 4 was the update the series needed. The day’s games magazines got really excited about it ahead of its release and reviewed it favourably, but I was never convinced enough to buy or borrow a copy for myself. Even as a ten year old my feelings about Mortal Kombat were well-established, in that I didn’t like it a lot. I ended up finding a diseased-looking copy of Mortal Kombat 4 for a fiver many years back, played it a bit and thought ‘meh’.

After a fuller playthrough, my thoughts haven’t changed much. That said, I can definitely appreciate that they tried to shake off some of that Mortal Kombat 3 staleness, and that a concerted effort was made to take the series forward. It’s still the violent alternative to the other (good) fighters of the day, but I’d say that there’s three big changes to how this fourth Mortal Kombat looks and plays. The first one are 3D graphics, and while they aren’t anything to type about at length these days, at least they’re clean and that it’s all decently animated. Secondly, the combo system has been massively simplified. That’s great news for someone like me, someone who couldn’t be arsed with pressing Low Kick, Low Punch, High Punch, Jump Kick, pressing backwards five times, up seven times and then holding Block for eight seconds while flipping the N64 upside down to get Noob Saibot to dental floss with his pubes. Thirdly, they added weapons. They’re all right and they do a reasonable amount of damage, but one hit knocks it out of your hands for the rest of the round. I don’t know if Mortal Kombat kept weapons in the later games or refined the way they work, as it’s a gameplay element that seems kind of redundant here.

Other than those small changes and wee additions, this is a early-era Mortal Kombat game through and through. And so, my original points for MK Trilogy still apply for MK 4: ‘the palate-swap characters and their stories bore me to tears, and I hate how think it lays on the bullshit with the opponents that magically transform across the stage and smash you with unblockable 75% damage combos’. Mortal Kombat 4 didn’t rinse the mankiness of Mortal Kombat Trilogy from my soul, but it’s better, and it’s better than a fair few N64 fighters, and I guess that’s something. 5/10.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 EmptyTue 16 May 2023 - 10:24

The N64 was dreadful for fighters, especially after the SNES and compared to Tekken and Soul Edge on the Playstation, so I think people would take whatever they could get.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 EmptyWed 17 May 2023 - 11:37

I know not 3D like Tekken 3 but the Saturn was the place for top-tier fighters like Street Fighter II Alpha, X-Men Children of the Atom, KoF 95, Virtua Fighter and way more
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 EmptyThu 18 May 2023 - 18:17

There’s so many fighters on the N64 too, they make up a big fraction of the whole console’s library. Loads of them are really similar to Mortal Kombat 4 too – it would be hard to tell the difference between it, Xena Warrior Princess, Mace: The Dark Age, Bio F.R.E.A.K.S. and so on if it weren’t for the fact that there’s occasionally a guy who pops up and yells “TOASTY!”.

Saturn might have been the place, but it didn’t even have a place round here. I’ve got no memories at all of seeing anything other than SEGA and EA Sports Saturn games in the shops, nobody was heading to Comet at the industrial estate in Kilmarnock to get Darkstalkers 3. I was well covered for fighters with the PlayStation. Tekken, Soul Blade, Bloody Roar and Dead or Alive were all class!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 EmptyThu 18 May 2023 - 18:40

I know I played the ones on Saturn much later, but it was of the few genres that I did pick games up on and had a grand time with.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 EmptySat 20 May 2023 - 12:27

Uh, I think you're all forgetting about a little game called G.A.S.P. Fighters' Nextream? Huh? Hello.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 EmptySat 20 May 2023 - 16:39

I liked Mortal Kombat 4 at the time, mainly as it was a fun addition to the multiplayer weekends I'd have with friends in my early teens. A fighting game where you had weapons that could be dropped, and the opponent could then pick it up and use it felt novel back in 1999, but I imagine it all feels fairly primitive nowadays. The biggest thing for me was the atmosphere of it - it was all rather sinister and spooky compared to the more cartoonish 2D games. It started down that path of ultra-violent fatalities that hit harder in 3D. 5/10 is probably correct.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 EmptyThu 25 May 2023 - 19:19

Jimbob wrote:
Uh, I think you're all forgetting about a little game called G.A.S.P. Fighters' Nextream? Huh? Hello.

I struggle to think of another instance when such a good company made such a rubbish game. It’s inexplicably bad.

On the topic of N64 fighters with a spooky and sinister atmosphere, I’d seen that PIKO Interactive are now the licensor for Dark Rift and that it's been re-released for PC. Look forward to that coming out on the Switch eShop for £14.99, in somehow worse condition performance-wise than its original version. What a time to be alive.

Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 EmptyMon 29 May 2023 - 22:36

Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 2177_front

N64 Magazine said: “One of the best puzzle games in the world, and certainly the finest so far on the N64” 80% in Issue 17, ⅘ in Issue 59
TOTAL 64 said: “A tired looking golden oldie, brought to the N64 to rip you off”. 60% in Issue 17.

Bust-A-Move 2 Arcade Edition isn’t synonymous with the Nintendo 64 but it’s there, and I played through it, and here’s my mini-review.

Simple graphics, simple tunes, simple mechanics. Everybody knows how to play Bust-A-Move - you just fire multi-coloured bubbles upward on your screen, and match them with bubbles of the same colour. Those bubbles disappear, and are swapped onto your opponent’s grid. That’s your whack. With just a little bit of strategy and precise aiming required, there’s a sort of innocent quality to this. It’s quite a humble little game from a by-gone arcade era.

The single player modes boil down to either competing against the computer or working your way through increasingly-complex puzzle stages, and that’s it. It’s pure videogame smack in multiplayer mode however, exactly the sort of game that you could - and I did for many years - play over and over and over again with your pals. Bust-A-Move 2's lastability can be measured in years.

The NeoGeo Puzzle Bobble 2 version of this got a digital re-release on PSN and Switch as part of Hamster’s ACA NEOGEO series. With the myriad of options that it adds, that’s where I suggest you seek this out. Or, if you’re not arsed with quality, just download one of the thousands for free rip-offs that you can get on your phone. The N64 version isn’t expensive, nor are the Saturn and PlayStation ports. Fuck it, get it on Game Boy as well, knock yourself out, life’s worth living.

It’s a proper classic in my eyes. 9/10.

Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 51LJH0HQz2L._AC_

N64 Magazine said: “Bust-A-Move as it’s always been, except for a simultaneous four-player mode. Recommended”. 82% in Issue 24, ⅘ in Issue 59
Nintendo Official Magazine said: “More addictive than Skittles. Sweeter, too”. 85% in Issue 96.

Bust-A-Move 3 DX wasn’t too far behind Bust-A-Move 2. In fact, it might have even come out on N64 here in Europe during the same year. It had the utterly pointless and brainless name of Bust-A-Move ‘99 in North America. There’s nothing very 1999 about it though - Bub doesn’t suddenly have frayed hair and a thong peeping out of their cargo trousers, it’s not much different to what you’d expect. Bust-A-Move 3 DX doesn’t seem to stretch the N64’s capabilities in any way, shape or form. It adds a four player mode though, which I’d assume makes the game even more frenetic. There’s also a new Contest Mode, that’s got thousands of user-made levels that you can search for within the game and play them immediately. Plus, Bust-A-Move 3 DX adds some new bubbles to play, such as a rainbow bubble that lets you chain combos easily, and a ‘Trouble’ bubble that can’t be destroyed.

Otherwise, it’s good old Puzzle Bobble, and in essence Bust-A-Move 3 DX the same thing that was kicking about for years by this point. It remains a massively absorbing game today - as easy to pick up as ever, and still hard to put down. It’s not the definitive edition of the old classic (it just doesn't it's prequels iconic-ness in my opinion), but it’s a very good representation of gaming’s all-time greatest multiplayers. The single player has enough options and challenges to make this a well-rounded addition to any collection. Still the dog's bollocks, 8/10.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 EmptyTue 30 May 2023 - 9:22

Ah man, I think I need to download one of these, I've been itching to play some form of Puzzle Bobble for a while, it's such an easy to play classic. I did download that Puzzle Bobble 3D they made not long ago and have tried to play it a few times but it's absolute mince, doesn't translate to 3D in the slightest.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 EmptyTue 30 May 2023 - 10:53

Oooh, much like Smurf, that's given me a real hankering.
We encountered a Bust-a-Move machine at a campsite on holiday in Wales, and by the end of the year my grandmother and I had both bought copies for our respective playstations. I know there are plenty of knock-offs but I want the music and the vibes from those days . . . I may check out that version on Switch.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 EmptyTue 30 May 2023 - 22:37

I should have updated that write-up before posting it - since I typed that there's been a two-in-one port of the Saturn versions of those games put onto the eShop. For some reason ININ Games recently added the SNES version of the original Puzzle Bobble/Bust-A-Move game to the eShop for £6.99. WORTH £7 I'm sure but these days it's the sort of thing I'd reasonably expect on the SNES Online app.

If you've got a Bust-A-Move hankering I'd recommending giving the Puzzle Bobble Everywhere demo a go - the full game just came out a few days ago but the trial lets you play it's online modes.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 EmptyWed 14 Jun 2023 - 21:50

Trying something different here...

Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 Famista_64_cover_art

N64 Magazine said: “Not quite the Namco debut we were hoping for”. 68% in Issue 11, ⅕ in Issue 59.

What is it? This is Famista 64, Namco’s debut N64 game and a sequel in a long-running baseball game series that doesn’t ever seem to have left Japan. I read that it didn’t sell well because the N64 already had an overabundance of baseball games by the time it released in 1997. Therefore the developer and publisher alike lost trust and confidence in the console, and Famista 64 proved to be Namco’s last all-new N64 title.

Is it any good? Amazingly, yes! Before I got Famista 64 I thought that the NeoGeo’s Baseball Stars 2 was the only good baseball game in existence, but I found lots to like about what I played here. True, it’s not the most accessible Japan-only game I’ve played, but I fluffed my way through the menus and settings to at least get my games on the field. In matches Famista 64 is actually pretty straightforward, with one button controls and gameplay that doesn’t needlessly change baseball’s rules.

Worth emulating? I quite like this, and I recommend giving it a go. The N64 often gets a hard time over its sheer volume of sports games, but I think a decent chunk of them have aged decently well. Many are unfairly recognised by retro gamers as filler, and this is another one.

Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 NUSPNSTJfront

N64 Magazine said: “The N64’s finest golf game lacks any redeeming features whatsoever”. 58% in Issue 1, 0/5 in Issue 59.

What is it? Eikou No St. Andrews, a golf simulator where The Old Course of St Andrew’s link’s eighteen holes are the only ones in the whole game.

Is it any good? I think there’s a decent game in here somewhere, but it struggles underneath some very difficult controls. The issue comes from hitting your ball precisely. You can only do accurate shots by swinging for the ball at the same time as a little red indicator becomes it’s smallest. On my first tee I hit my ball less than four yards, then smacked it out of bounds and then hit it into what the game called an “unplayable” position. Thinking about it I’ve never played a golf game that’s controlled like Eikou No St. Andrews before. The only thing I can even loosely compare it to is Pokemon Let’s Go of all things.

Worth emulating? For the novelty of playing a Japan-only N64 game that’s set ninety-two miles from my house, sure. For any other reason, no.

Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 220px-N64_saikyohabushogi_jp

N64 Magazine said: …nothing at all!

What is it? Saikyo Habu Shogi, or, in other worlds, “Japanese Chess”. It was the N64’s third launch title in Japan, and a game so badly ignored next to Super Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64 that I’ve read stories about shops giving it away. New, sealed and unplayed copies are supposedly still in abundance.

Is it any good? It’s utterly impenetrable to me. All the menu and in-game text is in Japanese, and even so I’ve got no clue how to play Shogi. I tried learning the rules through playing a few rounds of Shogi on 51 Worldwide Games on Switch, but this N64 game doesn’t have any in-game tutorials or guides.

Worth emulating? Even for intrigue’s sake, it’s not. What a strange game to release alongside a new console though. Who’d buy a board game simulator alongside their shiny new hardware?

Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 24624-1

N64 Magazine said: “Konami prove their footballing dominance with a magical soccer sim”. 89% in Issue 1, ⅗ in Issue 59.

What is it? Here’s Jikkyou J-League Perfect Striker, an earlier version of what we’d recognise as International Superstar Soccer 64, but with a J-League license and no sign of Scottish international players such as “Roberto”, “Gallach” and “Wyatt”.

Is it any good? ISS 64 is my favourite football game of all time, and playing an earlier version of it is strangely illuminating. It provides me with context I suppose, and a better understanding of the changes and updates that were made when it came to Europe under it’s new International Superstar Soccer guise in 1997. They’re not too dissimilar all told, and so for that reason the answer to the question “is it any good” is a resounding ‘yes’.

Worth emulating? It’s a fantastically playable kickabout whatever way you play it, but here you’re missing that fabulous ISS 64 commentary. There’s no “IT’S A LONG SHOT!” or “Fresh bluuuuuuuuuuuuuud is coming in” here, sadly.

Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 Tamagotchi64

N64 Magazine said: “Fun but goes on a bit and, obviously, guarantees minority audiences”. 79% in Issue 12, ⅘ in Issue 59.

What is it? Lastly is 64 de Hakken! Tamagotchi Minna de Tamagotchi World, a four-player board game that pre-dates Mario Party. As well as taking turns, moving round the board and playing minigames, you also need to care for your Tamagotchi throughout gameplay. Making sure they’re happy, clean and well-fed seems to make your pet evolve, just like in the virtual reality keychain.

Is it any good? It’s certainly energetic, memorable and very Japanese, but good perhaps isn’t the word to describe it. It’s quite hard and it doesn’t make much sense. Right enough, everything’s in it’s native language, but even if it were translated into English I still don’t think I’d understand what’s going on.

Worth emulating? Give it a go, even if only to say “what the flying fuck was that?”.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 EmptyThu 15 Jun 2023 - 12:11

I've been meaning to learn Shogi (through 51 Worldwide games, not an obscure N64 title) for a while now.

That Tamagotchi game actually sounds interesting. Played online or across multiple Switches, a game that required you to take care o f your virtual pet while also using it in minigames and that could be a laugh.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 EmptyThu 15 Jun 2023 - 17:30

Keep up the good work Cappa
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 EmptyFri 16 Jun 2023 - 20:45

masofdas wrote:
Keep up the good work Cappa

Seconding this - I read every one of these write-ups and enjoy the trip down memory lane each time. I'm not sure I ever played the N64 Bust-a-Move games, and didn't really buy into the PS2 one with the baby on the cover. Maybe I was spoilt by the best version: Beehive Bedlam with a Sky remote.

Shogi is the one of the few parts of Japanese culture I've not got the patience for, which is a shame as it's in every Yakuza game.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 EmptySun 18 Jun 2023 - 10:46

I'd like to Third this and say you're doing the lord's work Cappa. Back in the day, we would've lapped up any of the Konami footy games, even if they were based around the J-League, I reckon.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 EmptyMon 26 Jun 2023 - 18:44

Cheers for these nice words. It’s not so much ‘doing the Lord’s work’ as it is ‘not being that busy at work’. When my appointments don’t show up or I’ve got all my admin done, I’ve got all the time in the world to scribble some notes on Saikyo Habu Shogi. Beehive Bedlam needs it's own thread though, top game for top shaggers.

I’ve still got all the N64 reviews I typed in lockdown too. Such as:

Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 Nintendo-64-cruis-n-world-001_470x246

N64 Magazine said: “Why Nintendo put their name to this appalling sequel is a mystery of Area 51 proportions”. 38% in Issue 20, 0/5 in Issue 59.
64 Magazine said: “A sequel that’s nearly as bad as the original!”. 23% in Issue 18.

After ploughing through Cruis’n USA on one sunny lockdown evening, I decided to play it’s balder and fatter son, Cruis’n World. This still got its arse smacked by critics, and I don’t think it’s even got that endearing crapness that Cruis’n USA does. World isn’t the catastrophe that the magazines in 1998 were telling you it was, but it doesn’t improve on things like a good sequel should. It’s similarly structured to Cruis’n USA, with added cars and tracks from across global locations such as England, India and, er, The Moon. It looked out of date on release, and for a N64 sequel that they originally charged forty quid for I’d have expected more depth to the gameplay. But to be fair it’s an arcade experience, and it’s a fairly smooth port of what I assume was a decidedly average game in the first place. Playing it through for the first time in 2020 was just okay, and I don’t think another three years would have changed my mood and thoughts about it. 5/10.

Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 240

N64 Magazine said: ...amazingly, I can’t find it in any Club 64 Directory. I vaguely remember that they gave it 20% or something.
Nintendo Official Magazine said: "Off road in chunk trucks. Rubbish”. 68% in Issue 96.
64 Magazine said: “Based on Cruis’n USA, and nearly as bad!”. 27% in Issue 17.

I’ll throw my review of Off Road Challenge in here too, as it’s not likely you’ve got any memories of it. Actually, it’s much likelier that you’ve never even heard of it. You’ll perhaps know of its prequel though, the famed and acclaimed Super Off Road on the NES and SNES. That’s a damn good game that needs to come to Nintendo Switch Online. Anyway, Off Road Challenge ditches that game’s isometric view, and instead is essentially Cruis’n with big trucks on dirt roads. After Cruis’n USA and Cruis’n World, that’s a very simple game engine that’s being trotted out for a third time on N64, though at least Off Road Challenge tries to jazz things up with ramps, tricks, nitro boosts and shortcuts. It keeps Super Off Road’s progression system where you spend your winnings to upgrade your truck, but otherwise, it’s a typical Midway arcade racer.

Truthfully, it wouldn’t have felt out of place as a launch title on PlayStation or SEGA Saturn - and even then folk would have probably thought it was foosty auld pish next to Ridge Racer and Daytona USA. In 1998 and put next to proper cutting-edge stuff like Gran Turismo and Colin McRae Rally, the magazines certainly weren’t impressed. I think they were unfair in this case though. While not as good as Super Off Road or it’s own sequel Off Road Thunder, I think Off Road Challenge is good, mindless fun. With box art and graphics like that, I think there was no danger that anybody would have been buying it new for £50, but for a weekend rental it would have more than sufficed. I sort of feel like I missed out because of the reviews of the time - the gameplay shines through its rough exterior. 7/10.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 EmptyMon 3 Jul 2023 - 11:23

Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 ICON0

Much like Metroid Fusion, an older game ported to a new system but with no real new features (you got rewinds etc) that I feel Killzone even though playing on PS5 fits here.

This isn't the first time I've played Killzone Liberation, though it is the first time I've finished it, I think? Because this is on PSN does have trophies now (got the platinum) which are for the first four chapters of the game and so are the challenge trophies.

Yet there's a fifth chapter (same a fifth chapter of challenges), so after I "finished" the game based on trophies I had a wee google and Chapter 5 was DLC, why I say I can't remember if I finished or not as I may have only played Chapter's 1-4 and never saw the credits etc as they aren't on the UMD.

Still very odd that this version on PSN has the DLC for the campaign and challenges (no MP stuff) yet trophies are for the base game, I'm curious why they did this.

The game itself is really fun, and sort like a more action MGS with the top-down view it uses on the PSP compared to an FPS, which could have been done and the face buttons to aim like in Coded Arms. And you can duck behind cover, try to sneak behind enemies, fight mechs and even a tank with grenades, all in an okay story the links up to Killzone 2.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 EmptyThu 6 Jul 2023 - 11:07

Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 Space-station-silicon-valley-cover.cover_large

N64 Magazine said: “The most original console game ever. A breathtakingly clever and supremely playable platformer”. 91% in Issue 22, 5/5 in Issue 59.
Nintendo Official Magazine: “Puzzler years in the making. Not as good as it should have been”. 82% in Issue 96.

Perhaps my favourite thing about the Nintendo 64 is that it was a breeding ground for the most creative and unusual games that had ever been seen up to that point. It doesn’t get much more bizarre that Space Station Silicon Valley, DMA Design’s 3D puzzle-platformer where you possess robotic animals by controlling a microchip on an evolved planet in the year 3001. This was supposed to be one of the first N64 games, but it was repeatedly delayed before eventually coming out close to Christmas 1998. When you’re competing against Ocarina of Time, WCW/NWO Revenge, 1080 Snowboarding and several other newly released, all-time classics for shelf space, let’s be honest: you’re humped. Correspondingly, Space Station Silicon Valley was a bit of a commercial flop. I smelt a price-drop coming, and so I picked it up for well under the RRP for the following spring. Even when I punted most of my Nintendo 64 games to pay for a GameCube in 2002, this maintained a place in my collection when Ocarina of Time, WCW/NWO Revenge and 1080 Snowboarding actually didn’t.

Space Station Silicon Valley is all about deactivating animals and body-swapping between them to solve all sorts of creative environmental puzzles. Each type of animal has their own characteristics and unique abilities, and while some of these are loosely true to life (like a dog that can bark to herd sheep, for example), most are highly inventive. Some of my favourites to control were a ram that can extend it’s neck to headbutt, a hyena with wheels and missiles, and a boxing kangaroo with a spring for feet. A lot of the game’s cleverness comes from how differently these animals control. Each animal has their own stats, with their mass, engine size and environmental-resistance all affecting attributes such as their offense, defence and speed. They’re all coded with their own intelligence levels too, where low intelligence animals mostly won’t offer any opposition to attack, while high intelligence animals will aggressively come after you on sight. The settings they’re placed in work well too. The scorpions, vultures and camels go in the desert worlds and the gorillas, parrots and elephants and go in the jungle of course, but there’s sections that mimic Lylat Wars-style dogfights with an actual flying dog, and Wave Race with a level simply called ‘Walrus Race 64’. It’s smart stuff, and the variety of animals to control as well as the number of levels and collectables means that Space Station Silicon Valley is a very generously-proportioned game.

If there’s any criticisms, my main one is that it feels that the game can stack the odds against you a bit too harshly. It’s not afraid to put you in situations where, for example, you’ve got to get past three hulking polar bears with cannons on their backs and conveyor belts for feet while you’re just operating a tiny penguin who slowly waddles around with weak snowballs for ammunition. Even so, Silicon Valley’s puzzles are never tricky to suss out and so it’s only really the combat that poses much challenge here. Everything looks a bit scant as well, with areas of interest few and far between in these large levels. The sound design can be described as quite cheesy, and it definitely wouldn’t be for everybody. I’ve had these tunes in my head for days, but it’s definitely not the type of soundtrack I’d listen to outside of gameplay. You can actually destroy speakers in-level to mute the music, so I’m guessing that even the developers knew that some of these tunes would wind folk up. Furthermore, the game was graphically poor by 1998 standards, and it now looks muddier, junkier and blockier than ever before. Still, that doesn’t affect the gameplay: that’s where Space Station Silicon Valley shines, and it remains one of the most playable N64 games as a result.

Space Station Silicon Valley is a truly inspired game that’s got a really addictive personality and a cracking British sense of humour. Not much good has ever come out of Dundee, but this is even better than Jute, Jam and Journalism. I’d definitely consider Silicon Valley as one of the best third-party games on the Nintendo 64. DMA Design famously became Rockstar North the year after this came out, and I’d love to see them give Space Station Silicon Valley’s concept (and Body Harvest’s, for that matter) another go on modern hardware. 8/10.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 31 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts
Page 31 of 36Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 36  Next