We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON

Go down 
+11
Dusty Knackers
JayMoyles
Jimbob
Treesmurf
Balladeer
The_Jaster
Muss
masofdas
Rum
The Cappuccino Kid
Buskalilly
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Dusty Knackers
Bandana Waddle Dee
Dusty Knackers

yearoftheswitch - New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON   yearoftheswitch - New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON - Page 4 EmptySun 9 May 2021 - 17:48

I think I'm proceeding at a slower pace than the game wants. Don't mind retreading old ground just to get a slightly better picture than the last run. I'm even starting to warm to the 'Mon that aren't gen oners (yes I'm one of those people). Don't think its an amazing game, its probably not even better than the original, but I'm enjoying it. Including a couple of shots I've taken below.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON   yearoftheswitch - New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON - Page 4 EmptySun 9 May 2021 - 18:34

Dusty Knackers wrote:
I'm even starting to warm to the 'Mon that aren't gen oners (yes I'm one of those people).

Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON   yearoftheswitch - New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON - Page 4 EmptySun 9 May 2021 - 21:14

Ultimately for me this game lives and dies on its screenshots unsurprisingly and looking at Dusty's then reminds me what's good about it, they've given the Pokémon so much character that you don't get from a normal game in the series, can't see myself returning to it once it's finished but I'll have a good time seeing what they do in the process.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON   yearoftheswitch - New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON - Page 4 EmptyTue 11 May 2021 - 12:16

I haven't given this a huge amount of time yet, but I think this could live for a long time as a delightful "one run in the morning" game. If I could have fifteen minutes to look at Pokémon being cute, and take some pictures, every day for the rest of my life. . . Yeah, that'd be alright I reckon.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON   yearoftheswitch - New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON - Page 4 EmptyTue 11 May 2021 - 19:20

That's how I've started to play this. I'm just playing one course at a time, maybe for about twenty minutes a go, usually once a day. Savouring it like this means I'm keeping it fresh, and also means I look forward to playing it each day.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON   yearoftheswitch - New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON - Page 4 EmptyThu 13 May 2021 - 11:11

On that note, the way it spoilers pictures of Pokémon I haven't seen yet is a masterstroke. I can slowly enjoy it at my pace, and still enjoy logging online now and then and seeing fun shots that other people have taken.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON   yearoftheswitch - New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON - Page 4 EmptySun 16 May 2021 - 17:27

I've not played it myself, but heard from two separate sources that it's a gift that keeps on giving, from what seems a simple concept like the original. I do have to say it does look bloody charming.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
neil
Wii U Port
neil

PostSubject: Re: New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON   yearoftheswitch - New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON - Page 4 EmptyThu 27 May 2021 - 20:45

I've been playing this every day. Now it's leaving me to get on with it, I'm really enjoying myself. It's relaxing. I like to focus on one course at a time, replaying it a few times til I get the shots I want. (I never actually get the shots I want, I'm rubbish.) I was surprised at the way some of the courses change things up to keep it interesting. I won't give any spoilers.

My wife said the game looks "redundant", which made me laugh and think of Alan Partridge being moribund.
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON   yearoftheswitch - New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON - Page 4 EmptyFri 28 May 2021 - 7:55

Glad to hear that - I was surprised to hear how much you weren't enjoying it when you first got it. I finished the main campaign last week and there are still a handful of Pokemon I haven't gotten photos of, but I'm not sure how much I'll persist with trying to get them. I can see myself going back and having a quick go now and again in future though.

I'll write a proper review of it sometime in the Last Game You Finished thread soon - maybe on the weekend.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON   yearoftheswitch - New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON - Page 4 EmptyThu 29 Jul 2021 - 17:27

There's a free update coming out next week, adding new areas and Pokemon:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-07-29-new-pokemon-snap-gets-a-new-update

A very nice surprise, and all the more reason to go back. yearoftheswitch - New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON - Page 4 1f44d
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON   yearoftheswitch - New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON - Page 4 EmptySat 31 Jul 2021 - 14:37

This was very unexpected, chuffed with this because it already feels like the perfect game to dip back in to occasionally and brand new areas just sweeten the deal. I had to stop watching the trailer for it though as it seemed they were doing the usual Pokémon thing of showing you everything they possibly can. If they keep this up with more updates I could see myself buying that expensive screenshot printer soon.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON   yearoftheswitch - New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON - Page 4 EmptySun 1 Aug 2021 - 9:52

Man, I should play more of this. It's problem is that for me it felt suited to being a "pop on when I have half an hour" game but it came out close to a Monster Hunter!
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON   yearoftheswitch - New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON - Page 4 EmptyTue 9 Nov 2021 - 21:40

As Buska mentioned, the fact that this came out so close to a Monster Hunter game meant I'd basically left it unplayed beyond having one or two initial runs of the first course.

I've been playing a bit more of it now that there's time for me to play it and I'm definitely enjoying it. There's bucket loads of charm pouring from the game - the little animations you see from each Pokemon are lovely.

I'm not yet sold on the structure of the game in that running a course multiple times for slightly better photo opportunities didn't really sit well with me, but after reading this thread I think having this alongside something else to play as opposed to being my main game, so to speak, will work better for popping in and out and having the odd run of each course now and then.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON   yearoftheswitch - New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON - Page 4 EmptyWed 10 Nov 2021 - 7:21

Also, if you're just looking to "finish" the game, the number of runs is pretty low.
Back to top Go down
stu_the_great
Stability Update
stu_the_great

PostSubject: Re: New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON   yearoftheswitch - New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON - Page 4 EmptyWed 10 Nov 2021 - 8:21

JayMoyles wrote:
I'm not yet sold on the structure of the game in that running a course multiple times for slightly better photo opportunities didn't really sit well with me, but after reading this thread I think having this alongside something else to play as opposed to being my main game, so to speak, will work better for popping in and out and having the odd run of each course now and then.

I seem to recall that being the bulk of the original game for me. I played that thing to death just to improve my scores, though admittedly was is a very short game.

Looking forward to catching up with the sequel myself some time soon, and I wonder if there will ever be more DLC down the line...
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON   yearoftheswitch - New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON - Page 4 EmptyWed 10 Nov 2021 - 12:04

I loved firing up the original now and then to just do a run. You can't necessarily do that in the new one, but it's easier and more fulfilling to just bash through one level.
Back to top Go down
stu_the_great
Stability Update
stu_the_great

PostSubject: Re: New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON   yearoftheswitch - New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON - Page 4 EmptyWed 10 Nov 2021 - 16:58

I haven't played the original since back in the day, but am more than happy to revisit it some time in the future. I seem to think I downloaded it on the Wii but my memory may be faulty - could just dig the N64 out again.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON   yearoftheswitch - New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON - Page 4 EmptyThu 11 Nov 2021 - 15:58

I think the original is coming to the Switch Online N64 app in due course, if I remember rightly.

I've moved on to the next proper stage (not counting the nightime variant of the first level) and I'm still very much enjoying this. Question for those that have finished it: is there any other abilities I've yet to unlock beyond lobbing fruit? I want to retry the older levels to clear off some of the mini-quests I've been given but I won't bother yet if I've still to unlock a new ability that'll be required.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON   yearoftheswitch - New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON - Page 4 EmptyThu 11 Nov 2021 - 17:23

There's a little flute that you can play as well - have you unlocked that? The melody will etch itself into your brain.
Back to top Go down
stu_the_great
Stability Update
stu_the_great

PostSubject: Re: New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON   yearoftheswitch - New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON - Page 4 EmptyFri 12 Nov 2021 - 15:24

Rum wrote:
There's a little flute that you can play as well - have you unlocked that? The melody will etch itself into your brain.

Got the tune of the original Poké Flute in my brain now. Cheers for that. Laughing

I'm guessing there will be some alternate of Pester Balls in this game too? I read somewhere that they'd altered it slightly to avoid seeming too mean.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON   yearoftheswitch - New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON - Page 4 EmptySat 13 Nov 2021 - 8:26

JayMoyles wrote:
Question for those that have finished it: is there any other abilities I've yet to unlock beyond lobbing fruit? I want to retry the older levels to clear off some of the mini-quests I've been given but I won't bother yet if I've still to unlock a new ability that'll be required.

As well as the flute, there's a glowy ball thing which has to be unlocked separately for each of the four main islands. Also, right near the end you get a boost so if you're planning to get properly into score chasing, I'd save that until post-game.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON   yearoftheswitch - New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON - Page 4 EmptyThu 18 Nov 2021 - 1:32

If I have one main criticism of the game it's that it spreads out unlocking abilities across the entire story to the point where you'd be forgiven for thinking the game simpler than it really is, especially when you start playing and early on.
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON   yearoftheswitch - New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON - Page 4 EmptyThu 18 Nov 2021 - 11:09

I can see what they were going for, but I'm sure it resulted in people bouncing off.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON   yearoftheswitch - New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON - Page 4 EmptyFri 19 Nov 2021 - 10:24

Yeah that's the impression I get especially when I look on my friends list and see people with an hour or two playtime. It's a much longer game than the original, which is both to its benefit and works against it in its immediacy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON   yearoftheswitch - New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON - Page 4 EmptyFri 19 Nov 2021 - 17:23

Even I bounced off it, and the original Pokemon Snap is legitimately one of my favourite Nintendo games ever. I think I gave New Pokemon Snap more time than just a couple of hours though, I must have got close to finishing it. I definitely enjoyed it, for considering how eagerly I was awaiting it (…for over twenty years…) it’s quite amazing that it didn’t really capture my attention or imagination. That's probably because of how slow-going it was at the start, thought that's just like every other Pokemon game to be fair.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON   yearoftheswitch - New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

New Pokémon Snap - GET IN THERE MY SON
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next