We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Games You Love in a Genre You Don't

Go down 
+7
gjones
Muss
OrangeRakoon
Buskalilly
masofdas
The Cappuccino Kid
Balladeer
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

Games You Love in a Genre You Don't Empty
PostSubject: Games You Love in a Genre You Don't   Games You Love in a Genre You Don't EmptySat 20 Feb 2021 - 18:16

Inspired by a GJones question into The Back Page podcast.  (I knew who it was from the first line. Very Happy )  Most of us have genres we don't get on with: what's a game, or games, in that genre that defied the odds and that you really got on with?  I'd suggest no games with Mario in, since his efforts tend to defy genres all round.  (Sub-genres, types of game etc. allowed.  If you think it's a genre and you don't like most games you've tried under its label, it's fair game.  Let's not have tedious debates about what counts.)

I obviously have loads of genres that I don't like, so I'll pick a couple.  If this picks up steam I'm sure I can think of more.

STEALTH:

ACTION:

How about y'all?
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Games You Love in a Genre You Don't   Games You Love in a Genre You Don't EmptySun 21 Feb 2021 - 9:42

I'll have a volley at this.

RTS:

FPS:
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Games You Love in a Genre You Don't   Games You Love in a Genre You Don't EmptySun 21 Feb 2021 - 14:09

I'll have a proper think as I like most genres or if you asked me games I liked in a certain genre, think I could tell you bunch in the genre.

Still might be hard if I have to give three reasons though
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Games You Love in a Genre You Don't   Games You Love in a Genre You Don't EmptySun 21 Feb 2021 - 14:46

I only had one idea for this and Cappa beat me to it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Games You Love in a Genre You Don't   Games You Love in a Genre You Don't EmptyMon 22 Feb 2021 - 13:28

It's not strictly to the letter of the thread, but despite liking metroidvanias I have yet to play and enjoy a metroid or castlevania game in the genre!
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Games You Love in a Genre You Don't   Games You Love in a Genre You Don't EmptyMon 22 Feb 2021 - 14:30

Cappa has nicked the obvious one.

I wouldn't really say that there are many genres I don't like, I'm fairly omnivorous when it comes to games and the genres I'm not really a fan of, well I just don't buy them.

But if you interpret "don't like" as "don't dislike" then I can contribute a few.

Competitive Shooter:

Walking Simulators:

Buy an expensive Peripheral:

Mobile:
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Games You Love in a Genre You Don't   Games You Love in a Genre You Don't EmptyMon 22 Feb 2021 - 16:26

Strong contributions from Cappa and Muss there! OR's answering the exact opposite of the question and so definitely doesn't count. Razz

@Cappa: Gah, those were two genres I was thinking of (or more generally 'strategy' and 'non-aerial shooter') but I couldn't identify a single game I'd loved from either! The GameCube really was a melting pot era for all sorts of great ideas, wasn't it? (And more software-focussed rather than the hardware-focussed innovations of later genres.) Them were the days...

@Muss: I'm really confused by 'don't dislike'. Confused Do you mean, genres you're not super-keen on? In any case, that's a good few contributions. If I hadn't already spoiled the entire plot for myself I'd almost certainly have picked up Obra Dinn by now. Duh! As mentioned in the OP, 'Mobile' and 'Expensive Peripheral' can both be genres if you want them to be.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Games You Love in a Genre You Don't   Games You Love in a Genre You Don't EmptyMon 22 Feb 2021 - 16:44

It's not the opposite! It's a weird case of the genre being named after specific games so they get more of mindshare!

Like how I don't like souls games but I like Hollow Knight. Which is also a metroidvania, because that game's genre is defined almost entirely by reference to other games.
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Games You Love in a Genre You Don't   Games You Love in a Genre You Don't EmptyMon 22 Feb 2021 - 18:28

The Soulslike is definitely its own subgenre these days as well.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Games You Love in a Genre You Don't   Games You Love in a Genre You Don't EmptyMon 22 Feb 2021 - 18:30

Having a look on Wiki at all the genres which then goes into sub-genres giving about 60 genres as who doesn't love bible games (which I would say isn't a genre, but something like a platformer where you play as Moses).

Still going through them all its platformer which is Mario / Sonic Lucky or FPS Halo / Overwatch, however some games do come to mind in genres not as common as those

Battle Royale:

Clicker:

MOBA:
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Games You Love in a Genre You Don't   Games You Love in a Genre You Don't EmptyMon 22 Feb 2021 - 18:32

Moses: the Platformer was definitely the best of that genre, even if the water levels were stupidly easy.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Games You Love in a Genre You Don't   Games You Love in a Genre You Don't EmptyMon 22 Feb 2021 - 19:34

Balladeer wrote:
Inspired by a GJones question into The Back Page podcast.  (I knew who it was from the first line. Very Happy )

Haha! I did smile when they read it out - like getting a letter published in a mag!

Untitled Goose Game and Muramasa are two games I reckon I'd enjoy. Very pretty art-styles and I love a bit of stealth and/or 2D hack-and-slashing. Similarly, I'm a fan of both Pikmin and Timesplitters - two accessible and highly replayable series that welcome you to their genre but don't overly tutorial-ise themselves (if that makes sense).

I like most genres but there's a few that I would say I've only loved one game in:

Management Sim:

Rock-hard action:

2D platformer:
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Games You Love in a Genre You Don't   Games You Love in a Genre You Don't EmptyMon 22 Feb 2021 - 21:16

masofdas wrote:
Clicker:

Haven't you learnt your lesson saying you like games that you don't?

I'm struggling to think of a genre, I don't think there's a genre I've played that I haven't gotten along with, best I can do is...

Fighting:
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Games You Love in a Genre You Don't   Games You Love in a Genre You Don't EmptyTue 23 Feb 2021 - 21:49

Balladeer wrote:
Moses: the Platformer was definitely the best of that genre, even if the water levels were stupidly easy.

Today

@Treesmurf I love Mayo I've got the Platinum twice and would a 3rd time if I had a PS4/5 at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Games You Love in a Genre You Don't   Games You Love in a Genre You Don't EmptyWed 24 Feb 2021 - 12:04

Not surprised that Smurf is struggling, since he seems to love all game varieties. That's taste we can all aspire to. (That said, Smash has Mario in. Tongue ) I considered one-on-one fighting too, before realising I'd basically only played Soul Calibur II and Smash in the genre. (We'd all be happy just to KO Jay a few times.)

I can also confirm that I don't have anything to contribute to the management or rock-hard action/Soulslike sub-genres at all (unless Hollow Knight counts): I've never played a game from either! Rayman Legends was a quality game though, I'm not surprised that broke through the barrier for someone who likes 'gamefeel' as much as GJones.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Games You Love in a Genre You Don't   Games You Love in a Genre You Don't EmptyWed 24 Feb 2021 - 13:16

Getting a platinum is not the same as loving a game. I've got the plat for Horizon: Zero Dawn and I absolutely do not love that game.

I'd say the only genre I can't think of multiple games I've enjoyed to the point where I'd say I don't like the genre is MOBA, but there's no MOBA I like either...
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Games You Love in a Genre You Don't   Games You Love in a Genre You Don't EmptyWed 24 Feb 2021 - 13:27

Why got for the plat in something like HZD, then? Mayo is fun and silly, also I've not played any other clickers though
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Games You Love in a Genre You Don't   Games You Love in a Genre You Don't EmptyWed 24 Feb 2021 - 13:57

I was much more fond of it after the first playthrough, so I fancied replaying it, unfortunately it was the second playthrough that exposed all its flaws innit.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Games You Love in a Genre You Don't   Games You Love in a Genre You Don't EmptyWed 24 Feb 2021 - 14:41

Ahh I've only played it once but was one of my favourites that year and the sequel is something that more than likely make me get a PS5 before my 10 game list.

Hoping it's dated in the State of Play on Thursday along with a few others like Kena.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Games You Love in a Genre You Don't   Games You Love in a Genre You Don't EmptyThu 25 Feb 2021 - 20:39

masofdas wrote:
Why go for the plat in something like HZD, then? Mayo is fun and silly, also I've not played any other clickers though

If you've not played any other clickers then how can you know you don't like the genre? Does The Last of Us count as a clicker game? Anyway you went for the plat because it's easy, doesn't mean you like it, I have a platinum trophy for Megamind and I played it for that alone.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Games You Love in a Genre You Don't   Games You Love in a Genre You Don't EmptyThu 25 Feb 2021 - 21:35

Yeah I may love all Clickers and same with MOBA's but those are genres which I've barely played and can't think of many part from maybe LoL Rift or Pokemon Unite which I might give a go.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Games You Love in a Genre You Don't   Games You Love in a Genre You Don't EmptyThu 25 Feb 2021 - 21:54

I could probably have given this one some more thought, but

Old JRPGs are bad:

Visual Novels are bad:
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Games You Love in a Genre You Don't   Games You Love in a Genre You Don't EmptyFri 26 Feb 2021 - 15:49

You don't mean to say you're an Ace Attorney naysayer Jim? Afraid Still, if you can only play one visual novel, that's definitely the one to play. That first case is the Jimmest example I can imagine.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Games You Love in a Genre You Don't   Games You Love in a Genre You Don't EmptyFri 26 Feb 2021 - 19:57

Ghost Trick is the perfect pick and is really the only one I can think of that works for me as well.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Games You Love in a Genre You Don't   Games You Love in a Genre You Don't EmptySun 28 Feb 2021 - 11:06

The_Jaster wrote:
Ghost Trick is the perfect pick and is really the only one I can think of that works for me as well.

I don't know if you love it, but I know you're not keen on the JRPG but have played Xenoblade.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Games You Love in a Genre You Don't   Games You Love in a Genre You Don't Empty

Back to top Go down

Games You Love in a Genre You Don't
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next