Nintendo in encouraging Emio-lation shocker

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tunic (Can't Let You Into The Switch Sub-Forum, Sword Fox)

Go down 
+3
Crumpy Andy
Buskalilly
Balladeer
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

Tunic (Can't Let You Into The Switch Sub-Forum, Sword Fox) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tunic (Can't Let You Into The Switch Sub-Forum, Sword Fox)   Tunic (Can't Let You Into The Switch Sub-Forum, Sword Fox) - Page 2 EmptyMon 4 Sep 2023 - 19:39

I may as well not play the rest now frankly, utterly disgraceful from Jim.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/ Online
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Tunic (Can't Let You Into The Switch Sub-Forum, Sword Fox)   Tunic (Can't Let You Into The Switch Sub-Forum, Sword Fox) - Page 2 EmptySat 8 Jun 2024 - 18:31

BUMP

Because I'm still playing this.  And I'm thinking that maybe, just maybe, I might love it after all.

Some context I guess.  I got to the Ruined Atoll playing very slowly under my own steam, but there was always a question mark over whether I was going to carry on.  The Back Page Discord does a monthly game club, like a book club only everyone plays a game - and somebody mentioned Tunic was free on PS Plus so I pushed really hard for it to be this month's game.  Now it is, and I've played 2.5h in the last two weeks and made it to the Quarry.  That doesn't seem a lot but, compared to previous process and considering I've been mainlining TTYD and noting that I do most of my gaming in portable where the smudgy visual compromises hurt my eyes (breathe), it's a massive step up.

It's not the rock-hard bosses that appeal, although taking down the last boss was a palpable moment of triumph.  And it's not the atmosphere, which is still cold despite more details about the world just about dribbling out.  It's the finding daft shortcuts, it's the lovely aesthetic, it's the power curve as Fox Lad slashes his way through enemies that previously terrified.  

Also: it's having people to talk about it with.  No NPCs to talk to?  Talk to PCs instead.  There's so much in Tunic that feels like Gaming Moments to be discussed.  Triumphs that feel more like triumphs when talked about.  It makes me sad that we never had a community Tunic-a-long here, or none that I ever saw anyway.  

If anybody else starts up Tunic, do come chat with me about it, on Discord or here.  It's better that way.  In the meantime, I've got a boss I've heard terrible things about to die repeatedly against. No

EDIT: He was horrible, I hate this game now. But also:

Jimbob wrote:
It does warm up a bit - but I don't really want to spoil anything at all, so I regret even saying this.

I think I might know what you mean by this!
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Tunic (Can't Let You Into The Switch Sub-Forum, Sword Fox)   Tunic (Can't Let You Into The Switch Sub-Forum, Sword Fox) - Page 2 EmptySun 16 Jun 2024 - 9:42

I was really lucky in that I had a real-life NPC to talk about the game with, which does help - and it was like the old school days where, if avoiding the internet, you could discuss secret weird things you found. I miss the time period where I was playing this.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Tunic (Can't Let You Into The Switch Sub-Forum, Sword Fox)   Tunic (Can't Let You Into The Switch Sub-Forum, Sword Fox) - Page 2 EmptyWed 19 Jun 2024 - 20:09

I think I'm now fully into 'weird things' territory - having repaired my character, the game now seems to have gone full-on puzzler. Interesting.

Oh, and that manual? That nice little idea that didn't really work? Utterly essential apparently.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Tunic (Can't Let You Into The Switch Sub-Forum, Sword Fox)   Tunic (Can't Let You Into The Switch Sub-Forum, Sword Fox) - Page 2 EmptyWed 3 Jul 2024 - 21:43

Okay I can't talk about this anywhere else but BIG BIG SPOILERS:

End game quests:

The language, I'm more lukewarm about. I got really into it, put together a translation on a piece of paper and everything. But once you've got that translation, it just ain't fun or clever to have to refer to it for every bit of speech. You should be able to unlock a fully translated manual at the very least.

Oh and the final boss is a big heap of cat waste, and take it from me that stuff reeks.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Tunic (Can't Let You Into The Switch Sub-Forum, Sword Fox)   Tunic (Can't Let You Into The Switch Sub-Forum, Sword Fox) - Page 2 EmptyThu 4 Jul 2024 - 4:55

I learned to read Kryptonian back when I regularly read comicbooks and could read it almost as easily as Roman letters eventually. So maybe I'd have luck with Tunic's text.

I don't know if it helped with hiragana and katakana.
しょうがない
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Tunic (Can't Let You Into The Switch Sub-Forum, Sword Fox)   Tunic (Can't Let You Into The Switch Sub-Forum, Sword Fox) - Page 2 EmptyThu 4 Jul 2024 - 9:12

Maybe!  I don't know though, I think I'm probably pretty decent at picking up languages myself and while I began to recognise certain letters eventually it never got to the point where I could read smoothly.  I don't think it's worth the brainpower either, for one language in one small-ish game (although I'm now over 20h into it) and only the one piece of text that properly made me giggle. Maybe you'd have better luck.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Tunic (Can't Let You Into The Switch Sub-Forum, Sword Fox)   Tunic (Can't Let You Into The Switch Sub-Forum, Sword Fox) - Page 2 EmptySat 6 Jul 2024 - 18:51

Balladeer wrote:
Okay I can't talk about this anywhere else but BIG BIG SPOILERS:

End game quests:
I said I bloody said! I'm glad you're having a better time, and I'm glad you stuck with it Thumbs Up!

Balladeer wrote:
The language, I'm more lukewarm about.  I got really into it, put together a translation on a piece of paper and everything.  But once you've got that translation, it just ain't fun or clever to have to refer to it for every bit of speech.  You should be able to unlock a fully translated manual at the very least.
I didn't bother admittedly - I would've done if I was a kid, but no time nowadays

Balladeer wrote:
Oh and the final boss is a big heap of cat waste, and take it from me that stuff reeks.
Yes:
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Tunic (Can't Let You Into The Switch Sub-Forum, Sword Fox)   Tunic (Can't Let You Into The Switch Sub-Forum, Sword Fox) - Page 2 EmptySun 7 Jul 2024 - 15:20

Well. Indeed.

Mega end game spoilers, no seriously exercise EXTREME caution here:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tunic (Can't Let You Into The Switch Sub-Forum, Sword Fox)   Tunic (Can't Let You Into The Switch Sub-Forum, Sword Fox) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Tunic (Can't Let You Into The Switch Sub-Forum, Sword Fox)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2