Nintendo in encouraging Emio-lation shocker

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!

Go down 
+17
ZeroSuitSamus2
Athrun888
nupkin
fronkhead
Silver light
2becomecarrion
Treesmurf
Jimbob
JayMoyles
Vidofnir
ZeroJones
masofdas
Admin
The_Jaster
The Cappuccino Kid
Crumpy Andy
Balladeer
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 27  Next
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! Empty
PostSubject: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! EmptySun 10 Mar 2013 - 16:55

The BIG Wii Voting Thread!

Idea stolen from Phillips: used with permission.

The Wii is dead.  Sure, there may be a few games some of us are catching up on, and Nintendo may be intending to flog a dead horse with the Wii Mini, but the seventh-generation (according to Wikipedia) Nintendo home console is well past its sell by date and starting to smell a bit funny.  What better way to celebrate its decaying than with a look at its six-odd years of games?

My idea which isn't mine (and which some may recognise from Phillips' 3DS Awards last year) is this:

• Each week or so, I'll suggest a different genre, or clumsy amalgamation of genres.  
  • During that week, PM me with your five (or less) favourite Wii or WiiWare (NOT Virtual Console) games from that genre, in order of favourite-ness.
  • I'll give them points based on your rankings.  Top-ranked game gets 5 points, second gets 4, and so on until (if you've included 5 games) the fifth gets 1.
  • At the end of the week, at the same time as announcing a new genre to vote for, I'll tally the votes and present the forum ranking in this thread, along with any particularly insightful or witty comments from the PMs.  At which point, discussion and mud-slinging can commence!

My prospective genre list is in the spoiler:

Spoiler:

I've included "Sports and Minigames" in the same category because things like Wii Sports Resort, arguably the biggest representative across both categories, would otherwise sit uncomfortably in the middle; and this way we get a nice ten-genre list.  Feedback much appreciated, as are questions about where certain games should go!

Week One: Racing Games
Link to results.

Week Two: RPGs
Link to results.

Week Three: Shooters
Link to results.

Week Four: Sports and Minigames
Link to results.

Week Five: Fighting Games
Link to results.

Week Six: Platformers
Link to results.

Week Seven: Puzzle Games
Link to results.

Week Eight: Rhythm and Music Games
Link to results.

Week Nine: Strategy and Other Games
Link to results.

Week Ten: Adventure Games
Link to results.

Week Eleven: Anything Goes
Results start here!
Tenth place.
Ninth place.
Eighth place.
Seventh place.
Sixth place.
Fifth place.
Fourth place.
Top three.
Closing remarks.

And that's that!

Last edited by Balladeer on Sun 16 Jun 2013 - 7:45; edited 60 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! EmptySun 10 Mar 2013 - 17:13

Booo racing games boooo *slings mud at the genre*
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! EmptySun 10 Mar 2013 - 19:40

Ooft. This'll be a massive undertaking. There's no way that I could have done this thread like the way you'll be doing. Appreciate the efforts!

Quick question: will you be wanting us to say a little bit about each of the games we pick? Or would you just like a straightforward list?
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! EmptySun 10 Mar 2013 - 19:55

Up to you! Although obviously if I don't get opinions, I can't present them anonymously to the forum in the weekly bumf. (In unrelated news, I am currently maintaining three Excel documents pertaining to the forum.)

I have a question for the thread: where do people think that the two Endless Ocean games should go? The original list had them in adventure, but for me the first game was placid on the same level as Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! EmptySun 10 Mar 2013 - 20:51

Pretty sure I only had one racing game on wii. Laughing
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! EmptySun 10 Mar 2013 - 21:09

Yeah...it's not the most prolific genre on the Wii, is it? I felt that the genre idea was a sound one...except for with racers. I'm struggling to think of five that would warrant a vote. That said, of the games I have in mind, one is ancient and the other is one that some might not even be aware of. They're both great.

Endless Ocean, in my opinion, is as much an (underwater) adventure game as FIFA 13 is a football game. Placid isn't a game genre!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! EmptySun 10 Mar 2013 - 21:30

In a genre so poorly represented, that obscure racer might just make it through to the top five. Who knows?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! EmptySun 10 Mar 2013 - 22:46

I'd categorise Endless Ocean as a simulation of sorts. The second one is probably more of an adventure sim because it introduced elements of danger.

Does Mario Kart Wii qualify as an entry, then? Seeing as it's a franchise entry and not an original game.
Back to top Go down
http://messedupcables.forumotion.net
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! EmptySun 10 Mar 2013 - 23:54

Is Pandora's Tower an RPG, really I'd say it was far more action adventure.
Also are we counting Fire Emblem as strategy? It's prety RPGish, possibly just as much so as it is strategy.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! EmptyMon 11 Mar 2013 - 2:15

Let's go with what Wikipedia says. That goes for everything. Saves a lot of rubbish debate.

Wiki says that Pandora's Tower is an action role-player...everything's an action game, so RPG it'll be.

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! EmptyMon 11 Mar 2013 - 8:01

I'd be tempted to put both Pandora and Fire Emblem as RPGs. I'd say that the "strategy/other" category is for anything that can't be classed under one of the other fields. (That said, I'm tempted to go with Stu's classification of the EO series.) And MKWii is a racer, and definitely counts!

My subjectiveness aside, Philps' idea about Wikipedia is a good one. So Fire Emblem games are "tactical role-playing games", and EO1 is... still unclear. Neutral

I have had one vote so far which mentioned four racing games on the console, so they are out there. Albeit one wasn't so much being voted for as farted at.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! EmptyMon 11 Mar 2013 - 10:59

i would like to join in but as i have only played about 10 wii games properly, its for me to vote for things like racers where ive only played excite truck once . im more curious what wins and see what ive missed out on
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! EmptyMon 11 Mar 2013 - 11:21

masofdas wrote:
i would like to join in but as i have only played about 10 wii games properly, its for me to vote for things like racers where ive only played excite truck once . im more curious what wins and see what ive missed out on

If this thread serves a dual purpose, then that's great. The Wii has a much bigger, better library of games than most appreciate. Just a shame that most of the racers weren't up to much!

Nonetheless, my top 5 has been sent off. The top 4 kept me going for ages, and were the sort of games that made me not mind that I didn't own flashier, more powerful consoles at the time.

EDIT: Bugger. Forgot a game. Can we edit our votes?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! EmptyMon 11 Mar 2013 - 11:37

i did my own top games of all time on wii, so i could send balla that and then he could then slot them in to his list
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! EmptyMon 11 Mar 2013 - 11:45

I'd rather keep it to genre-specific votes for now, Masofdas. You needn't contribute to every one if you don't want to. Maybe I'll do a "global top ten" later: who knows? I'm mysterious like that. Winky Face

Phillips wrote:
EDIT: Bugger. Forgot a game. Can we edit our votes?

Yup, send me another PM with the corrections in. Smile
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! EmptyMon 11 Mar 2013 - 17:52

I can think of three Wii racers off the top of my head (that aren't F1 or Need For Speed or whatever), and only two of those I've played. Therefore, it looks like I'll be voting for two games (neither of which I actually like Laughing).
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! EmptyMon 11 Mar 2013 - 21:46

My single vote has gone in. Yes, single vote - I've only played one new racing game on the Wii! I bet you're all wondering what it is, too... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! EmptyMon 11 Mar 2013 - 22:17

Some more suggestions for later weeks: Wikipedia says Okami is an action adventure game, and that Muramasa is an action RPG. In the case of the latter, I'm tempted to put it under action, because the role-playing isn't that much of a focus. Similarly, I'd put Super Paper Mario as a platformer rather than an RPG, but that's leaving the RPG section a bit under-populated. Thoughts?

Thanks to everyone who's voted so far! I know it's a week weak (ha!): hopefully the others will be better. I have had one set of five votes, though!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! EmptyMon 11 Mar 2013 - 22:26

surely the rpg will have plenty in it, my 50 wii games arw nearly all rpgish
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! EmptyMon 11 Mar 2013 - 23:43

The less RPGs the better so Fire Emblem can be recognised dammit Hissy fit
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! EmptyMon 11 Mar 2013 - 23:50

Is Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz an RPG? Fingers crossed that it is, otherwise I've got bugger all to vote for in that category.

EDIT: It is. As is Family Ski. Thank goodness.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! EmptyTue 12 Mar 2013 - 3:36

ZeroJones wrote:
My single vote has gone in. Yes, single vote - I've only played one new racing game on the Wii! I bet you're all wondering what it is, too... Rolling Eyes

Snap!

Balladeer wrote:
I know it's a week weak (ha!)

Say what now Winky Face
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! EmptyTue 12 Mar 2013 - 7:38

Phillips wrote:
Is Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz an RPG? Fingers crossed that it is, otherwise I've got bugger all to vote for in that category.

EDIT: It is. As is Family Ski. Thank goodness.

You're trying to confuse me, aren't you? Confused SMB:BB is either puzzle or minigame collection, I'd think.

I've had a change of heart on Muramasa - there's no "action" genre, so RPG it is! That brings my potential RPG votes up to 4, I think.

Also, we've had our second set of five votes for the racers. See, it's not that bad! Whistle
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! EmptyThu 14 Mar 2013 - 21:37

Just a gentle reminder that you have three days as of a few hours ago to get your votes in! So far, eight people have voted for eight racing games between them, so the results are far from a foregone conclusion. And it's nice if the thread can represent as much of the forum's opinion as possible. Get those votes in! Smile
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! EmptyFri 15 Mar 2013 - 14:19

My votes should be with you by tomorrow, complete with insights. I keep getting distracted!

*gets distracted*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! Empty

Back to top Go down

The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!
Page 1 of 27Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 27  Next