We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Security Issues on GNamer

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

Security Issues on GNamer Empty
PostSubject: Security Issues on GNamer   Security Issues on GNamer EmptyMon 1 Jul 2013 - 8:06

I've just been forcibly logged out, and then upon attempting to log back in, confronted with a "maintenance" screen that is written in very poor English and ostensibly not a genuine Forumotion screen.  I got around this by going through the "forgot your password" process and entering a new one: then the screen didn't appear.  I understand that Phillips may have had similar issues.

It's not terribly surprising that free forum software, being free and therefore inexpensively maintained, has some security issues.  That said, short of sending an angry message to the Forumotion staff (which I will do), I don't really know what to do about it, apart from reminding everybody about the importance of keeping your password hard to crack.  I don't know if cracking my password was how this happened, but given that a password reset got rid of the screen, it sounds likely.  

For more information on keeping your password difficult to crack, see this actually pretty informative comic.  Mine was essentially a random jumble of letters.  And if you do find yourself locked out of this forum for whatever reason, I go on CVG a lot and will see any PMs left for me there.

Last edited by Balladeer on Mon 18 May 2015 - 20:49; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Security Issues on GNamer   Security Issues on GNamer EmptyTue 2 Jul 2013 - 18:04

This has concerned me ever since Phillips had the problem just after forum launch. The extreme measure we took then was for him to invent a new account which then had his old, duplicated username grafted over the top. Not ideal, but it's bugged me ever since that if the problem happened to one of the admins or even the founder, it would be harder to fix. Pale 
Back to top Go down
http://messedupcables.forumotion.net
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Security Issues on GNamer   Security Issues on GNamer EmptyTue 2 Jul 2013 - 18:10

Hmmm, worrying stuff. I guess if anyone gets locked out too, Stu's always available on Twitter and as Balla said he's on CVG.

At least you've retained your account Balla, losing your post-count would have been soul-destroying. Razz 
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Security Issues on GNamer   Security Issues on GNamer EmptyTue 2 Jul 2013 - 18:11

Balla would still somehow be ahead of us even if he lost his post count. Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://messedupcables.forumotion.net
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Security Issues on GNamer   Security Issues on GNamer EmptyTue 2 Jul 2013 - 21:49

Divide anyone else's post count by zero, and you'd still be a little off mine. Winky Face 
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Security Issues on GNamer   Security Issues on GNamer EmptyWed 3 Jul 2013 - 6:29

Undefined... does not compute! *explodes*
Back to top Go down
nupkin
Stability Update
nupkin

PostSubject: Re: Security Issues on GNamer   Security Issues on GNamer EmptySat 6 Jul 2013 - 19:05

Glad this has been pointed out - having complicated passwords is the way forward. I had my Yahoo! mail account hacked a few months ago and it was my very first e-mail account from about 15 years ago which I'd forgotten about for years. The password was very simple (even though it was one of my silly made up words!) so it was vulnerable. Needless to say I can't imagine my Yahoo address book (including some ex colleagues!) thought that it was me offering enlargements of a certain ilk! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Security Issues on GNamer   Security Issues on GNamer Empty

Back to top Go down

Security Issues on GNamer
Page 1 of 1