I'M THIRTY

HomeHome  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32
AuthorMessage
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 32 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)   General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 32 EmptyThu 27 Jun 2019 - 15:16

Cricket has become paytv exclusive here in Australia for ODI's, so I haven't been able to watch the wc. But what's this I'm hearing about England looking like they won't even make the semi-final of their own tournament? And why am I supremely unsurprised?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Balladeer
I'M EVEN LONELIER
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)   General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 32 EmptyThu 27 Jun 2019 - 21:12

Yes, that has been happening. It's a combination of two things: England's prepared for playing on flat surfaces and then hasn't got flat surfaces, and England's not used to being the favourite team and has fallen apart a bit. Add in injuries and fluctuations in form (Root and Stokes ^ Bairstow and Buttler v) and it looks like England are crashing out.

Meanwhile Australia has cobbled a middle order together pretty much out of string and sellotape, but between Finchnwarner and their bowlers it hasn't mattered a whole lot. India are still on course to win the whole thing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/ Online
Balladeer
I'M EVEN LONELIER
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)   General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 32 EmptySun 14 Jul 2019 - 17:12

And that's the Cricket 'World' Cup!

Overall it was tripe.  The contestants were tripe, with only ten teams in a 'world' cup.  The schedule was tripe, an interminable group stage and only three knockout games.  The weather was tripe in parts.  The pitches have been tripe - not the flat tracks that England succeed on, but that's fine.  What's not fine is that in basically every occasion bar the England/Australia semi-final the pitches deteriorated so cosmically that the team batting second was at a major horrendous disadvantage.  Only India, powered by Jadeja, seemed to get anywhere close.  The toss was ridiculously stupidly important and the final especially feels like a fifty-fifty winner's job decided at the start of the match.  And the broadcasting was tripe, with only the final shown on free-to-air, and that skipping over two different channels.  

There were some good things.  New Zealand won for the first time made the final, which is nice.  Everyone loves New Zealand.  England kindly introduced some jeopardy into the latter stages of the tournament by losing to Sri Lanka, apparently the worst team on the slate.  And the fact that the final has been free-to-air is the first time professional cricket's been FTA in England for yonks.

But overall: a big fat load of tripe.

EDIT: Okay I suppose the final was alright.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)   General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 32 EmptySat 20 Jul 2019 - 14:41

Should've been NZ. They were robbed I tell ya!

Can't really comment on the matches, cricket going almost-entirely pay-tv here in Australia means what you'd expect (that greed will undoubtedly damage the next generation of cricketers, as less and less children are exposed to the sport and thus inspired to pursue it). Surprised England pulled it together though. Not really fussed Australia lost, but it would've been nice if new zealand could've pulled the biggest upset of all time and taken home the glory. Still congrats on England pulling it together.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Balladeer
I'M EVEN LONELIER
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)   General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 32 EmptySat 20 Jul 2019 - 19:08

Great yes, but robbed? Nah. The most sensible tie-breakers after number of wins (tied I believe) were things like group stage position and head-to-head results, both of which favoured England. (NRR might have favoured NZ? Not sure.) As for NZ being unlucky: they won the toss in the knockouts twice. The pitches have massively favoured the batting side all tourney and have become increasingly turgid in the second innings. If they'd lost either toss they'd have been out, regardless of luck elsewhere.

We've had only pay TV here for ages - radio and Internet are my favoured forms of cricket-following. It's not great though.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)   General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 32 EmptyMon 5 Aug 2019 - 0:57

Ah, the sweet news of a batting order collapse with the typical Smith salvaging effort. Good to see the status quo has been restored and the rest of the team hasn't needed to learn how to bat.

Seriously though sniping aside it's good to see Smith make a successful comeback. Regardless of what happened in SA the fallout wasn't pretty, good on him for managing to recover to return successfully.

Sounds like the first test is a pretty interesting one, I picked a bad time to return to a normal sleep schedule.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Balladeer
I'M EVEN LONELIER
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)   General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 32 EmptyMon 5 Aug 2019 - 20:47

Meanwhile for England it's back down to earth with a bump. Ah yes, I forgot none of you could bat, and that you keep dropping two of the best batsmen in the side because reasons.

I suppose the Test was interesting considering the many turnarounds, but it was lost very early on the fourth day when England utterly failed to get Smith out. Remind me to rant about England's selection policy at some point.

Ho hum.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)   General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 32 EmptyTue 6 Aug 2019 - 3:18

Don't worry, England's selectors aren't the only nation's that suck. Ours have only just gotten over their often-unfounded love-affair of the Marsh brothers (although they still usually include one or both of them when they get the chance).

Glad the weather didn't intervene, would've been a bit of a poor show for Australia to yet again be all-but-assured a victory only for God himself to intervene. Like that series eight years ago where if Broad walked and the weather hadn't been crap it might've been 3-2 in Australia's favour. Won't lie I was getting flashbacks yesterday morning when it was being mentioned as a possible factor.

I hear Lyon was the MVP for the last innings. Not surprised, I did manage to see a half-hour before I got too tired and had to go to sleep, and he was looking lethal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Balladeer
I'M EVEN LONELIER
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)   General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 32 EmptyWed 7 Aug 2019 - 20:27

Meh, nobody walks these days.

Alright, miniature rant. England have had two notable red-ball series MVPs in recent times, Sam Curran against India at home and Ben Foakes in Sri Lanka. Both were omitted. Instead we got Chris Woakes, so trusted with the ball he got seven overs in the second innings; and Jonny Bairstow. Jonnny fecking Bairstow, who made his last score of note batting at number 3 and yet gets given the gloves right back for no adequately explained reason. He's a less good keeper and Test batsman than Ben.

It's almost like playing Shaun Marsh over Steve Smith because Shaun Marsh has better white-ball figures, only even more monumentally stupid because there are two disciplines at play and Jonny is better at neither.

Then we have Joe Denly at number four, the place where your best batsman comes in, because England were searching for a good number three (despite drowning in decent number fours) and couldn't find one and now have one who doesn't want to be there; James Anderson playing despite having an aggravated calf and bowling four overs; and Jason Roy, who has opened in red ball exactly not at all before this summer but he's good at white ball so he gets the Jonny Bairstow treatment.

If I'd been a selector I might not have picked Stuart Broad, who bowled like a demon. I would have picked Olly Stone, the young tearaway quick who's just gone down broken himself. I also would have picked Moeen Ali, who has really good red ball numbers of late, despite his terrible showing and obvious lack of confidence. I would not have been perfect.

I would still have done better than this.[/rant]
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)   General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 32 EmptyThu 8 Aug 2019 - 2:25

Besides if Broad had walked we wouldn't have gotten the hilarity in the ensuing series in aus where he ended up barely able to walk off the pitch in what could only be described as irony.

And yeah, it's always frustrating when selectors make stupid choices. Sometimes it pays off (Wade and Broad for aus and eng respectively), other times you get Mitch Marsh for two cheap dismissals over the unblooded Glenn Maxwell.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Balladeer
I'M EVEN LONELIER
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)   General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 32 EmptyThu 8 Aug 2019 - 20:00

Oi, less of the lip. Your lot are the masters of 'hard but fair'. Maybe not in their new incarnation? I don't know.

To be fair I'm yet to see Glenn Maxwell fulfil his undoubted white-ball talent in the Test arena. Same with Buttler on our side.

What would be your eleven-man Top Australia Test Team (or 'TATT') when they're all fit then Athers?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)   General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 32 Empty

Back to top Go down

General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)
Page 32 of 32Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32