We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming

Go down 
+11
2grundies
Dusty Knackers
JayMoyles
fronkhead
Jimbob
beemoh
Athrun888
The Cappuccino Kid
masofdas
The_Jaster
Balladeer
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming Empty
PostSubject: Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming   Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming EmptyThu 25 Jul 2013 - 7:22

Simple discussion. What are some of your favourite bosses in gaming?  What makes them so good, for people who haven't played the game?  And which ones were damp squibs?

Oh, and because of the subject material, this is inevitably a SPOILERICIOUS topic.  I think it can be assumed that any games released more than three years ago are ripe for discussion, but nonetheless, might be wise to put the name of the game and then the rest in spoiler tags. (Definitely spoiler any more recent games!)

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Spoiler:

Metroid Prime

Spoiler:

Okami

Spoiler:

Your turn!

Last edited by Balladeer on Thu 25 Jul 2013 - 8:42; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming   Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming EmptyThu 25 Jul 2013 - 8:11

Oooh nice topic!

Question, can I put monsters from MH in here? If so I shall be back later. (Don't worry I'll have bosses from other games too)
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming   Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming EmptyThu 25 Jul 2013 - 8:43

If they're big and scary, why not?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming   Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming EmptyThu 25 Jul 2013 - 9:53

I'll have to think off some but most games i play now don't really have boss or if they do there kinda rubbish. So i might have to go old school.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming   Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming EmptyThu 25 Jul 2013 - 10:47

Dyanmite Headdy has a monopoly over gaming's great boss battles, as far as I'm concerned. The Dark Demon, Spinderella, Mad Dog, the Clothes Encounters manikin and the evil puppet master are all class, but Baby Face was the one that I used to tell people at school about:

Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming   Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming EmptyThu 25 Jul 2013 - 12:11

Hmm, tough one. Some of my favs would be Prince N in Pokemon Black and White. Why? The whole backdrop for the battle in question was easily one of the most epic bakcdrops for a showdown in the Pokemon franchise. He, the champion of the region planning to tae it over, you the potential usurper to the prince. I doubt the new games will be able to touch it to be honest.

Ganondorf in Wind Waker gets a mention as well. The final form where it's just you and him in a sword fight on the roof of Hyrule Castle under the ocean as the magic keeping the water out is fading and his whole plan has been ruined was just amazing. They tried to replicate this in Twilight Princess and downright failed, you can't replicate something like that. For a Nintendo game the tension and atmosphere in that final battle in Wind Waker was simply astounding, honestly it puts the majority of the industry to shame as far as game climaxes go.

Finally, the final boss in Persona 3 who I shall leave unnamed for obvious reasons. The fight was long, tough, had epic music, and never seemed to end in the perfect vision of a nightmare. Honestly it's rather hard to describe, but it gets a mention because to me it just hit all the notes for the situation and fight perfectly.

Now for the bad ones I've encountered. I hinted at it just above, but I'll give it a mention here too. The final battle of Twilight Princess. It was too easy, but what really lands it here is that the entire fight I was left simply thinking I've done this exact thing before, only in a far more epic setting and a bit more challenging environment. Honestly I think Twilight Princess should have stuck with having Zant be the final enemy, up until the bad plot twist he was amazing, and the build up to the fight with him was fantastic.

I would name another but honestly I find it hard to think of boss fights that left me thinking they were outright terrible. A boss fight either sticks out in my mind or I just forget about it if it ended up being bollocks.
Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming   Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming EmptyThu 25 Jul 2013 - 14:19

Balladeer wrote:
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Spoiler:

Also, if that's the one I'm thinking of, it's got my favourite Zelda boss music, too.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming   Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming EmptyThu 25 Jul 2013 - 15:25

See what you think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GPDG_CKErM  
Personally I prefer Blizzeta's, mediocre boss though she was (strictly speaking, it's part two): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GujUYhJz9Q  
If we're going on boss music, though, you can't beat Super Mario Galaxy (as with anything to do with music): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HC-gp-DdqA

I didn't think the final battle from TP was bad!  Although maybe I was just overawed by the scale of it all.  Four battles, including a proper swordfight: come on!  Although I'll agree that WW Ganondorf is the best incarnation of the villain in the series, I didn't think the battle was all that.  Too easy.  You know who had a really good fight?

Skyward Sword spoiler:

And so that this post isn't 90% Zelda, I've always had a soft spot for Lylat Wars' train chappie.  The kite, the rocks, the snarky comments: Macbeth was a fun level.

Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming Mechbeth

I'll see Baby Face in my nightmares tonight...
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming   Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming EmptyThu 25 Jul 2013 - 20:26

Duramboros
Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming Mh3u_duramboros_01

Love fighting this chap & by far my favourite to fight out of the new monsters, you would think looking at him he'd be slow & plod along but its quite graceful as it spins about like a madman & even launches itself in the air to try and squash you. (yep he's got a me a good few times) Its almost a shame taking it down as all he wants to do is spin. Smile
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming   Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming EmptyThu 25 Jul 2013 - 20:46

I wish I could look at that Skyward Sword post, but I haven't finished it yet so I can't!  

Meh 

*Looks under spoiler*  Well dang, whoever that is he looks awesome.  A shame my current TV position makes using the Wii Remote pretty much impossible otherwise Skyward Sword would be making its way to the top of my next to play list once I'm done with Smash Bros Brawl.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming   Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming EmptyThu 25 Jul 2013 - 22:59

I'm trying to contribute to this, but I've realised... I hate bosses!
So I'm gonna go with Kraid from Super Metroid... and his camp jazz hand!

Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming   Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming EmptyFri 26 Jul 2013 - 7:48

Astonishing willpower there, Athrun. Razz 
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming   Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming EmptyFri 26 Jul 2013 - 10:53

Willpower (or lack of it) has actually always been one of my biggest vices.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming   Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming EmptySun 23 Mar 2014 - 9:49

Bumpity-bump! Time for some platformers.

If I'm honest, I could probably fill the entire "rubbish bosses" section of this thread with creatures from SM3DW. Quite aside from Boom Boom, there's King Kathunk:

Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming Hqdefault

And Boss Broulder:

Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming Sm3dwguide262

But the one I'm going to go for is the second boss from DKCTF. I didn't actually find him too bad, but I know several others hated him. He has great music though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw6yHMSpDFA
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming   Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming EmptySun 23 Mar 2014 - 19:39

Dragon slayer Ornstein & executioner Smough

Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming Ornstein_smough

These chaps gave me a tough old time in dark souls I must have died over 60 times to them before I got the better of them, the fight has two stages where they pull the annoying trick of obsorbing their fallen comrades power & depending in who you kill first changes the second part of the fight.

I'm forever thankful to a chap named Humpty (summoned player) who helped me slay them.

(Side note: all dark souls bosses are technically good but this one is the first that will have you swearing that the game isnt fair)
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming   Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming EmptySun 1 Jun 2014 - 17:58

There's a boss in Super Meat Boy's fourth world which is just a complete joke, beating it relies on pattern memorisation and pattern memorisation alone. It felt so wrong to be in what was otherwise a well pitched platformer.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming   Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming EmptySun 1 Jun 2014 - 18:34

fronkhead wrote:
There's a boss in Super Meat Boy's fourth world which is just a complete joke, beating it relies on pattern memorisation and pattern memorisation alone. It felt so wrong to be in what was otherwise a well pitched platformer.

I know the one. Marred my experience of the game too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Dusty Knackers
Bandana Waddle Dee
Dusty Knackers

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming   Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming EmptyMon 2 Jun 2014 - 15:38

Pikmin 3's final boss is one of the lousiest designed bosses I've ever seen in a game, soured the end of the game for me...

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming   Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming EmptyMon 2 Jun 2014 - 15:47

Referring to Dusty's spoiler above:
Back to top Go down
2grundies
F-Zero Rookie
2grundies

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming   Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming EmptyMon 2 Jun 2014 - 22:07

I remember my jaw dropping the first time i encountered this dude from Axelay:

Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming Axelay-Fire-Boss-Screenshot

awesome! Not to mention the ED 209 lookalikey:

Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming Axelay_image_8WkcEEFpz6tNHnP
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming   Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming EmptyThu 20 Aug 2015 - 21:52

I'm hyped for Phantom Pain and with Jay talking about some classic boss battles, here's some I've enjoyed (click on pic for the battle on YoutTube)

The boss fights:

Last edited by masofdas on Fri 21 Aug 2015 - 14:33; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming   Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming EmptyFri 21 Aug 2015 - 12:07

The boss fights:

[/quote]

Definitely some of the best throughout the Metal Gear series, although I'm a bit surprised by
Spoiler:

Here's a few from me

Most Disappointing: Batman Arkham Knight
Spoiler:

Worst: F-Zero GX
Final Story Mode Chapter:

High Praise
Shadow of the Colossus:
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming   Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming EmptyFri 21 Aug 2015 - 19:49

Oh God, GX's story mode. I have trauma stemming from that.

YWW's re-use of minibosses puts them squarely in the BAD section, but I did quite like the final boss of world 3, mostly due to its name.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming   Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming EmptyFri 21 Aug 2015 - 20:11

Muss wrote:

Most Disappointing: Batman Arkham Knight
Spoiler:

Definitely agree. I'd also add this:

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming   Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming EmptyFri 21 Aug 2015 - 20:30

@Muss I couldn't of any really good stand-outs with MGS2
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming   Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming Empty

Back to top Go down

Best/Worst Bosses in Videogaming
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next