Nintendo in encouraging Emio-lation shocker

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Best & Worst Levels in Gaming

Go down 
+5
JayMoyles
Balladeer
Admin
Dead Lemon
masofdas
9 posters
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Best & Worst Levels in Gaming Empty
PostSubject: Best & Worst Levels in Gaming   Best & Worst Levels in Gaming EmptySun 1 Feb 2015 - 16:22

I was thinking of this because of Andy when talking about Halo in which Combat Evolved has one of my all time favourite levels in gaming

The 4th level of 10 in the game which is The Silent Cartographer
Best & Worst Levels in Gaming 2364942877_dfea615887_o

That island based level has everything that makes Halo great, epic soundtrack, enemy variety from Grunts to Hunters, vehicle usage, use of various weapons and locations from outside of the island to inside ancient alien structures also mind blowing graphics for the time.

Back to top Go down
Dead Lemon
FMK Tagline
Dead Lemon

PostSubject: Re: Best & Worst Levels in Gaming   Best & Worst Levels in Gaming EmptySun 1 Feb 2015 - 22:47

When I read "best level" I instantly thought of Facility from GoldenEye. Both in single player and multiplayer. Starting in the vents, either running down the front stairs guns blazing or sneaking around the back corridors (no euphemism) , then failing the level by gunning down the civilian scientists. Every time.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Best & Worst Levels in Gaming   Best & Worst Levels in Gaming EmptyMon 2 Feb 2015 - 11:49

Block Fort: Mario Kart 64.
Best & Worst Levels in Gaming 200px-Block_Fort

Me and a friend literally spent one whole summer battling each other in this level one year, way back. Good times. Grin
Back to top Go down
http://messedupcables.forumotion.net
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Best & Worst Levels in Gaming   Best & Worst Levels in Gaming EmptyMon 2 Feb 2015 - 12:57

Best & Worst Levels in Gaming 280px-RainbowRideCarpet

A flying galleon, a giant house in the sky, magic carpets on rainbows: an absolute dream, at least back in the day.

Best & Worst Levels in Gaming 04n-125

Because you get to be Spiderman with a sword.

Best & Worst Levels in Gaming 500px-Donkey_Kong_Country_Tropical_Freeze_Level_2_K_Bopopolis

Hissy fit
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Best & Worst Levels in Gaming   Best & Worst Levels in Gaming EmptyMon 2 Feb 2015 - 14:13

Best & Worst Levels in Gaming Super-mario-golden-coins-space-zone-star-maze

Mostly because of the music!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Best & Worst Levels in Gaming   Best & Worst Levels in Gaming EmptyMon 2 Feb 2015 - 17:16

Sky Temple was a corker of a level! The boss even more so.

may I put a vote in for Melty Molten Galaxy? Great music! Volcano! A one-hit challenge that will piss you right off yet was ace to finally best!

Best & Worst Levels in Gaming Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQBiNtVewOEEtieJdLvFt4eDkzoc2kxXkPdD9H8n51U0I3MXIWO
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Best & Worst Levels in Gaming   Best & Worst Levels in Gaming EmptyTue 3 Feb 2015 - 9:32

I was trying to separate myself from the music when I was giving my levels, because I'm sure you're all sick of me banging on about videogame music by now.  But you two have opened the floodgates!  Good tunes both, although I wouldn't go for Melty Molten: it had a very dull Purple Coin challenge, and there are other levels from Galaxy which I prefer.

Such as this:

Also this:

But mostly this (that Pokéball moment):

Here's one from the sequel:

And this one had a very clever concept, in addition to great music:

But a good tune can't always disguise a duff level:
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Best & Worst Levels in Gaming   Best & Worst Levels in Gaming EmptyTue 3 Feb 2015 - 10:33

Balladeer wrote:
I was trying to separate myself from the music when I was giving my levels, because I'm sure you're all sick of me banging on about videogame music by now.  But you two have opened the floodgates!  Good tunes both, although I wouldn't go for Melty Molten: it had a very dull Purple Coin challenge, and there are other levels from Galaxy which I prefer.

I didn't mind Melty Molten Galaxy's purple coin challenge, it offered a nice change of pace. I also didn't mind it in Freezeflame Galaxy, apart from that ruddy peak jump which was stupidly easy to miss one of the coins during your freefall.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Best & Worst Levels in Gaming   Best & Worst Levels in Gaming EmptyTue 3 Feb 2015 - 12:36

Is it too obvious to go for Super Mario Bros.'s 1-1? If so, I'm in! What a statement it must have been to games of the time.

Here's my talkthrough of it (and the rest of World 1) from the now defunct 3DS Tribe:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YYlwDvMSed8

(I am on my mobile - hope that still works!)
Back to top Go down
Dead Lemon
FMK Tagline
Dead Lemon

PostSubject: Re: Best & Worst Levels in Gaming   Best & Worst Levels in Gaming EmptyWed 4 Feb 2015 - 0:30

Stu_the_great wrote:
Block Fort: Mario Kart 64.
Best & Worst Levels in Gaming 200px-Block_Fort

Me and a friend literally spent one whole summer battling each other in this level one year, way back. Good times. Grin
Block Fort has never been bettered when it comes to Battle Stages.

On topic and on the subject of MK64 I'd nominate Wario Stadium as one of gamings best levels. That jump and the sort-of-cheaty wall jumping short cuts always made for crazy fun races.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Best & Worst Levels in Gaming   Best & Worst Levels in Gaming EmptyWed 4 Feb 2015 - 7:52

I never liked Wario Stadium. Too brown, too long, too dull, and the lightning-over-the-jump seemed more unfair than fun.

Block Fort is class though.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Best & Worst Levels in Gaming   Best & Worst Levels in Gaming EmptyWed 4 Feb 2015 - 10:14

Balladeer wrote:
I never liked Wario Stadium.  Too brown, too long, too dull, and the lightning-over-the-jump seemed more unfair than fun.

Permission to defend Wario Stadium? Never got tired of seeing folk fall to their relegation over that lightning jump. Cheeky

I vote for the Amazon, from DuckTales:
Best & Worst Levels in Gaming Ducktales-amazon-nes1

I still love getting into all the various nooks and crannies in this one, even if I know the location of each hidden chest by heart. <3
Back to top Go down
Dead Lemon
FMK Tagline
Dead Lemon

PostSubject: Re: Best & Worst Levels in Gaming   Best & Worst Levels in Gaming EmptyWed 4 Feb 2015 - 11:21

Balladeer wrote:
I never liked Wario Stadium.  Too brown, too long, too dull, and the lightning-over-the-jump seemed more unfair than fun.  

I can only assume you were never playing it correctly. It's not that long when making use of the wall jumps and likewise not dull when you have 4 players all attempting to do just that. That level, that game. Love
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Best & Worst Levels in Gaming   Best & Worst Levels in Gaming EmptyWed 4 Feb 2015 - 13:11

I don't think that either I or the people I played with were good enough to make it consistently.
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Best & Worst Levels in Gaming   Best & Worst Levels in Gaming EmptyFri 6 Feb 2015 - 1:03

Having finished Metroid Prime, I have to say the Frigate was amazing. Probably the best re-use of an environment in a game ever, up there with the whole past/future light/dark world stuff Zelda does. So it's the ship you're on at the start of the game, which eventually crash-lands onto Talon IV. 8 or so hours later, and you're trekking back through the thing en route to Phendrana Drifts. It's submerged underwater, the lights and power are out, and there's some suitably magical underwater music playing in the background.

Just wow. That game certainly has an amazing sense of "being there".

Dead Lemon wrote:
Balladeer wrote:

I can only assume you were never playing it correctly. It's not that long when making use of the wall jumps and likewise not dull when you have 4 players all attempting to do just that. That level, that game. Love

I'm with Balla, maybe I ought to revisit it and mess about a bit more.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Best & Worst Levels in Gaming   Best & Worst Levels in Gaming EmptyFri 6 Feb 2015 - 21:07

On the Ninties, you can't go wrong with the forest temple from OOT:
Best & Worst Levels in Gaming 260px-Ft
So much clever inside that door. It's got vines, and ghosts, and twisty dimension shifting...

Outside of the Ninties, the Milkman Conspiracy from Psychonauts. If you haven't played it... you should. As for this level... "I am a road mender. Here is my stop sign."
Best & Worst Levels in Gaming Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSa--JsalenSNrMcAQ5k3cZc0OaZaDO2h9Hf-z5Nkp7LsfFmUQS

I'd also like to include Grunty Industries from Banjo Tooie and a Best and Worst. I don't know how big it is, but it seems to be a massive sprawling complex, much bigger than the average Banjo level. On one hand, atmospheric and relate-able (?). On the other, twisty and unnecessarily confusing.
Best & Worst Levels in Gaming Latest?cb=20100518095931

Worst level in a great game? Any oblivion bit from Oblivion.
Best & Worst Levels in Gaming Tumblr_mgfk17XAek1s2qk6qo1_500

The Labyrinth Zone from Sonic the Hedgehog is currently sitting in the category of NOPE
Best & Worst Levels in Gaming Labyrinthzoneact1_shot1
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Best & Worst Levels in Gaming   Best & Worst Levels in Gaming EmptyFri 6 Feb 2015 - 21:11

Jimbob wrote:
The Labyrinth Zone from Sonic the Hedgehog is currently sitting in the category of NOPE
Best & Worst Levels in Gaming Labyrinthzoneact1_shot1

Has any water level from any Sonic game ever been a good idea? NOPE.

Quote some internet nerd: what were they thinking?!
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Best & Worst Levels in Gaming   Best & Worst Levels in Gaming EmptySat 7 Feb 2015 - 0:43

Jimbob wrote:

Worst level in a great game? Any oblivion bit from Oblivion.

Ugh, right there with you. The worst part is they make you do it multiple times during the game. Aww!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Best & Worst Levels in Gaming   Best & Worst Levels in Gaming EmptySat 7 Feb 2015 - 0:52

I love the bouncy slime & lava mechanic in the mole knight stage of Shovel Knight such a great twist on an overused theme in platformers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best & Worst Levels in Gaming   Best & Worst Levels in Gaming Empty

Back to top Go down

Best & Worst Levels in Gaming
Page 1 of 1