We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What are you reading Thread

Go down 
+20
oldschool
Jimbob
Kornel
Rum
Vidofnir
Admin
masofdas
2grundies
JayMoyles
NintenDUCK
Axis1500
Cube
Crumpy Andy
ZeroJones
LikesVideoGames
shanks
Buskalilly
beemoh
Balladeer
Athrun888
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

What are you reading Thread Empty
PostSubject: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread EmptySun 4 Aug 2013 - 13:11

I'm sure I'm blind and this will be joining my many previous attempts at this sort of thing in the locked pile, but crtl+f found nothing for book or read on the two pages, so...

Anyway, I'll get this short lived party started by saying the thing that made me look for such a thread and announce I read the first chapter of that Psyren volume I picked up a few weeks back.  Twas a pretty fun read, typical lead that likes a bit of a scuffle ends up transported to some strange land by a card he got.  Some guys tried to steal it from him but it activated before they could and he ends up in the place, cue chapter end (such a tease end).  Anyhow, twas a fun blast.  

So, anyone else care to either point me in the right direction or contribute?

Last edited by Athrun888 on Fri 5 Jan 2018 - 17:48; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread EmptySun 4 Aug 2013 - 13:15

No, I think I'll give you this one! Says a lot, doesn't it, especially given the length of the TV thread.

I'm a fair way into Dune, the world's best-selling science fiction novel. It's in a massive hardback volume with the next two books in the saga, which makes it a pain to lug around. Anyway, it's all very deserty and atmospheric, and I'm enjoying it.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread EmptySun 4 Aug 2013 - 13:43

This thread.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread EmptySun 4 Aug 2013 - 19:46

I'm reading Transformers Exodus. Its not very good. But its only short so I'll finish it off.

Balladeer wrote:
I'm a fair way into Dune, the world's best-selling science fiction novel.  It's in a massive hardback volume with the next two books in the saga, which makes it a pain to lug around.  Anyway, it's all very deserty and atmospheric, and I'm enjoying it.

Yay! Dune! I read that back in year five and was so hooked I would sit in the corner of the playground and read it all through lunch like a right nerd. Never got into the sequels, but I might go back to it one day.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread EmptyMon 5 Aug 2013 - 3:52

One Piece and Dragonball
Back to top Go down
LikesVideoGames
Ejected into the Lava
LikesVideoGames

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread EmptyMon 5 Aug 2013 - 4:08

I just finished reading Reliquary, the sequel to the book Relic, written by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. It was kinda disappointing, though. One of the reviews quoted on the original book, Relic, said it was "far above Crichton's Jurassic Park" and I cannot agree with that. They have twists towards the end that feel cheap, and plot points that are pretty much impossible. Both books are involving, but I do not feel that they are worth reading.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread EmptyMon 5 Aug 2013 - 10:32

Charlie Brooker's I Can Make You Hate, which is funny in that cleverly constructed bile way that he has.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread EmptyMon 5 Aug 2013 - 12:45

I've been thinking about getting back into reading quite a lot recently. I used to read all the time but for some reason I appeared to just stop after Harry Potter 7 Embarrassed The biggest problem for me is the act of finding the library and signing up on top of picking a book to read. I might look into it when I'm back up north.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread EmptyFri 13 Sep 2013 - 13:14

Just finished reading The Sleep Room by FR Tallis. A lady at work leant it to me. I don't read a lot of horror but I really enjoyed it. It wasn't really scary but it was all about weird, creepy 1950s psychotherapy techniques so it was right up my street.

What are you reading Thread 1238075_10152188744478508_933861346_n

Here's what I've got coming up. I'm forcing myself to work through all this that's been sat on my bedside cabinet for years before I read A Dance With Dragons 2. That's ignoring everything in my loft and on my Kindle. Then I've got to track down a copy of Dune thanks to Balla. I'll try and read the sequels this time as well.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread EmptyFri 13 Sep 2013 - 14:00

Oh yes, I finished Dune and its sequel a while back.  Got bored of the style and didn't read the third book in the trilogy.  It's somehow too... detached for me to feel for any of the characters, apart from at the start of the first book to an extent.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread EmptyFri 13 Sep 2013 - 14:20

That's how I felt way back when.. Loved the first book all the way through, then felt absolutely nothing for the second one.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread EmptyFri 13 Sep 2013 - 14:33

For me, the big problem with the original Dune was that...
Spoiler:
And then, yes, the second one was disappointing in comparison.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread EmptyFri 13 Sep 2013 - 14:49

Hmm, I don't remember it being too bad but I think I was 10 years old. I'll get back to you when I've read as an adult.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread EmptyFri 13 Sep 2013 - 16:06

Now my copy of The Hobbit has been located, I'm reading that! Embarrassed
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread EmptyMon 30 Sep 2013 - 0:53

I just finished reading When The Tripods Came by John Christopher. It's a prequel to the Tripods trilogy, three of my favourite books. I didn't dislike it, and I liked the story it told and the characters it featured. On the whole though it felt like a rushed first draft of a much better book. Part of that at least might have been the brevity. I read the whole thing in about two hours.

The whole thing is also very blatantly reactionary. My copy starts with a little piece by Christopher where he recounts the criticisms that lead to him writing it. The author who was complaining said that it was nonsense that tripods beat mankind with such limited technology- they used searchlights, for crying out loud!

Then in chapter two, the teacher who was obviously written to be played by Peter Cushing says "oh, these tripods are a bit silly, aren't they? They used primitive searchlights wink wink nudge nudge." 

There's also a bit of a feeling that Christopher isn't quite in touch with the kids. It was fine in the trilogy, where they were living in a very removed fantasy world, but here they talked about "playing a dragon game on the computer" and they watched a tv show with the ridiculous name the trippy show.

Though that did lead to ask the hilarious talk of 'tripping'. Which leads me on to my other big criticism- the complete and total lack of subtlety. 

The Tripods attack on the second or third page, the fact that people are being hypnotized is spelled out to us by an exposition-bot on about page twenty and he then immediately goes on to say "maybe it's coming from space". 

Then there's a great parallel between the forced xenophobia from the Tripods and the naturally occurring variety among the free people. But instead of letting us make the connection, characters all talk about it. And instead of letting us make the leap that this is the Tripods breaking humanity down to village life, people openly discuss that as well.

On the whole, the imagery and the story worked great. I thought the whole "hypnosis through television" plot would play out really silly but it actually managed to remain kind of creepy throughout. Given a little more room to breathe, it could have been another great. 

On the whole, it's not apatch on the original trilogy but if you read and enjoy those it's worth a read. At the very least, if a film trilogy does get made (and is successful) this could make a great follow up film. And, unlike with the main trilogy, I would actively encourage a bit of meddling with the flow and the pacing. Hell, they could even do the Hobbit thing of stretching this book into a second trilogy quite well.

In other news, I did find a copy of Dune and I've put it at the end of my "to read" shelf. I also rebought the Dune PS1 game because I'll probably feel like playing that after I read the book. Next up though: Transformers Exiles. Yay.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread EmptyMon 30 Sep 2013 - 7:51

A lot of "tell don't show", by the sounds of things. Always a mistake.

Let me know how you get on with Dune this time around.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread EmptyMon 30 Sep 2013 - 12:03

Balladeer wrote:
A lot of "tell don't show", by the sounds of things.
Yeah, definitely. The other books had a bit of that but not as bad. In fact, I'd highly recommend them.

I'll let you know about Dune!
Back to top Go down
Cube
Garreg Mach Geography Teacher

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread EmptyMon 30 Sep 2013 - 12:06

I've started on the first of three Mass Effect books.
Back to top Go down
Axis1500
Vote Thread
Axis1500

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread EmptyWed 13 Nov 2013 - 13:00

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (no, not the comedian.)

An interesting book that features six nested stories over different time periods. Each story is written in a completely different style and is interrupted mid-way by the next one, and the characters in the next story somehow end up commenting on the previous one.

I watched the movie and found it intriguing but very confusing, so I'm reading the book now, which I'm finding far easier to follow as it doesn't skip through the multiple storylines so frequently.

Last edited by Axis1500 on Thu 14 Nov 2013 - 1:11; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread EmptyWed 13 Nov 2013 - 13:07

A Man of Property, book one of the Forsyte Saga. Character piece about the upper-middle class at the turn of the century. So many first-world problems. I can never tell whether it's going for hilarity or is unintentionally funny.
Back to top Go down
NintenDUCK
Vote Thread
NintenDUCK

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread EmptyWed 13 Nov 2013 - 16:21

Sabriel First book in the Old Kingdom trilogy, pretty good from what I've read so far.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread EmptyWed 13 Nov 2013 - 17:03

NintenDUCK wrote:
Sabriel First book in the Old Kingdom trilogy, pretty good from what I've read so far.
I read this years and years ago, but I remember enjoying it.

Currently reading Trainspotting - darkly funny and depressing at the same time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
2grundies
F-Zero Rookie
2grundies

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread EmptyWed 13 Nov 2013 - 21:49

'The Gaudi Key' by Esteban Martin & Andreu Carranza.

Another in a long, long line of historical, esoteric secrets that will change the world..... pulp fiction books that i love so much!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread EmptyWed 13 Nov 2013 - 22:42

I'm currently reading a very dry, boring star trek the next gen novel. It's very, very season one. -_-
Next up I've got the last book of A Song of Ice and Fire, so I'm pretty pumped for that.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread EmptyTue 24 Dec 2013 - 7:53

So that I don't spoil Cappa's thread any more, this can go in here.

THERE'S A NEW DISCWORLD COMING OUT. Haven't asked for it for Christmas though, so will probably get it in paperback in the New Year.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

What are you reading Thread
Page 1 of 15Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next