Nintendo in encouraging Emio-lation shocker

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest!

Go down 
+12
beemoh
fronkhead
Athrun888
Dusty Knackers
The Cappuccino Kid
Treesmurf
Jimbob
The_Jaster
masofdas
Balladeer
Crumpy Andy
NintenDUCK
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest!   The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest! - Page 4 EmptyThu 15 Sep 2016 - 19:09

Took a look through the votes and Ninty's comparatively barren year meant there was very little for me to vote for. Aww!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest!   The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest! - Page 4 EmptyThu 15 Sep 2016 - 20:56

I voted.

rant:

I mostly voted for Dark Souls, Undertale and Monster Hunter when they came up. Some glaring omissions, and obviously I didn't touch the youtube bollocks.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest!   The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest! - Page 4 EmptyThu 15 Sep 2016 - 20:59

Likewise, the difference being that I've never been a big fan of the GJs. Or the gaming Baftas. Or indeed anything of the sort.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest!   The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest! - Page 4 EmptyThu 15 Sep 2016 - 21:03

I mean, this is the gamecube vote all over again, but I don't really care about what's voted the best thing. It doesn't tell me anything other than the lowest common denominator. And, like Metacritic, the system is never fully reliable. I'm much more interested in reading an individual person's top ten, or Game of the Year, and what they think and why they like it, than being told "the highest number of people didn't hate this one."
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest!   The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest! - Page 4 EmptyThu 15 Sep 2016 - 22:23

I voted and like to every year, but it's not a vote put much weight behind when they announce GOTY compared to something like GDC's which game developers voting for the best game, that he wining team has been recognised by their peers.

What about Indie and AAA, Drunka? To me these should be together as if Firewatch is the best PlayStation game it should have as much right to win that as Uncharted 4, it won't that do sort of need a indie category which as sort of shame but can gives the teams the recognition they deserve.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest!   The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest! - Page 4 EmptyThu 15 Sep 2016 - 22:44

I pretty much agree with you Mas on the indie/ AAA thing, I just get more annoyed at it.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest!   The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest! - Page 4 EmptyThu 15 Sep 2016 - 22:50

I had a go at the voting - then I realised I'd played about 4 games in the last year. I even voted for Twilight Princess HD. I'm the worst. And it only took 20 minutes (GR's full-page ads are a ****ing menace)
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest!   The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest! - Page 4 EmptyFri 16 Sep 2016 - 3:22

Gave up voting on the 3rd vote when I realised it was basically all the same games bar the odd change here and there for each category, very few of which I've played and the ones I have played I wasn't wowed by.
I suppose I should ask at this point, was MGSV in last year's vote? Because I wanted to vote for that for every category.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest!   The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest! - Page 4 EmptyFri 16 Sep 2016 - 5:23

GJ always has weird cut off points, I think MGS was added late last year, not that we should be praising half finished games!

As for AAA vs Indies, I very rarely get anywhere near as much out of indie games as AAA, I don't know if it's because I'm not a fan of the often wanky experiences that are on offer, but even games like The Witness, that are as close to being right in the middle as you can get don't stand anywhere near the experience I've got from The Witcher, Uncharted or Deus Ex, so to me getting to recognise it as a great game at all is nice.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest!   The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest! - Page 4 EmptyFri 16 Sep 2016 - 9:33

Drunkalilly wrote:
I mean, this is the gamecube vote all over again, but I don't really care about what's voted the best thing. It doesn't tell me anything other than the lowest common denominator. And, like Metacritic, the system is never fully reliable. I'm much more interested in reading an individual person's top ten, or Game of the Year, and what they think and why they like it, than being told "the highest number of people didn't hate this one."

The big difference for me, between this and the GC vote, is that I care about the sum total of our opinions because the vast majority of us are great people. I don't care about the (wrong) gaming opinions of Jonny 'Idiot' Public.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest!   The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest! - Page 4 EmptyFri 16 Sep 2016 - 10:10

Yeah the cut off point is late September which means MGSV (Gintendo's GOTY) would have been in it last year vote and why Forza Horizon 3 is in this year.

Well your are Mr Crumpy which does explain a lot with the whole indie games, but indie games are changing that we see things like The Witness, No Man's Sky, Hellblade and Death Stranding that the Indie in a lot of cases aren't just your emotional games like a Inside (not played but what people tell me), Journey, Gone Home anymore but stuff that would have been considered back in the PS2/CUBE/XBOX era as like the slightly lower tier of game but with the odd game that can sit above the rest.

Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest!   The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest! - Page 4 EmptyFri 16 Sep 2016 - 16:32

Oh yeah, the Golden Joysticks. They're a thing.

Every year I forget these even exist, then I pop in quick enough to see the industry is still continuing to circle jerk to its own big budget mediocrity and I leave as uninterested as I entered.

I miss mid-tier games. Everything's either big budget "AAA" titles or indie titles now.
Back to top Go down
NintenDUCK
Vote Thread
NintenDUCK

PostSubject: Re: The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest!   The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest! - Page 4 EmptySat 17 Sep 2016 - 22:30

PoGo is in contention for GotY? hahahahahahahahahahahahaha, it won't get far at all. In the only category that matters though, what was everyone's Nintendo Game of the Year? I voted for Xenoblade X because I'm legally obligated to, but with the exception of Yokai Watch and LoZ Tri-Farce Heroes (That's probably too harsh, but I like the wordplay) it seemed like a pretty good category.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest!   The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest! - Page 4 EmptySun 18 Sep 2016 - 15:30

XCX, definitely - but I reckon you're being too harsh on YKW. As I said in my review, it's a good game, and definitely deserves to be up on a stage with the likes of Robobot, even if it's not necessarily better than them.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest!   The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest! - Page 4 EmptyMon 19 Sep 2016 - 12:20

I went for Fire Emblem Fates

I think Pokemon Go has a shoot at GOTY, really it isn't but this is a punlic vote and you asked everyone single person Pokemon Go what the GOTY is and I bet Pokemon Go wins.
Back to top Go down
NintenDUCK
Vote Thread
NintenDUCK

PostSubject: Re: The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest!   The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest! - Page 4 EmptyMon 19 Sep 2016 - 16:47

Maybe YKW doesn't deserve the criticism I give it, I only played the demo and wasn't sold by it at all. On the PoGo front though, as much as it has taken the mobile gaming platform by storm and broken every record that exists it's still very much just a casual mobile game. If a miracle happens though and it does win GOTY will PoGo be the first mobile game to get such an award?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest!   The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest! - Page 4 EmptyMon 19 Sep 2016 - 17:13

I don't think it will win the goldenjoystick or any mainstream GOTY but my point was it's a huge casual game and if you asked the people that played it what their GOTY is well mine would be Uncharted 4 but that mate of Jays posting on Facebook about Pokemon Go and games for the first, it likely be Pokemon Go is their GOTY.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest!   The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest! - Page 4 EmptyMon 19 Sep 2016 - 22:08

Hey guys! Who did you vote for in the YouTuber category? What a crazy bunch of characters, eh? Whoa there!
(I couldn't find a "I'm too old and don't know these people but they all look like c**ts" button, so I skipped it)
Back to top Go down
NintenDUCK
Vote Thread
NintenDUCK

PostSubject: Re: The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest!   The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest! - Page 4 EmptyTue 20 Sep 2016 - 16:42

You mean to say you're not a massive fan of Matt HD Gamer? He's a tremendous content creator, his best video is definitely the one where he played that game and talked, or that other one where he played a different game and shouted really loudly. What a character!
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest!   The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest! - Page 4 EmptyTue 20 Sep 2016 - 22:51

I'm looking forward to the scary game one where he's surprised.

His name's Matt HD Gamer for crying out loud; it'd be like me starting a YouTube channel called BBC Micro Apologist.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest!   The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest! - Page 4 EmptyTue 20 Sep 2016 - 23:24

Do it. Winky Face
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest!   The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest! - Page 4 EmptyWed 21 Sep 2016 - 3:21

Crumpy Andy wrote:
GJ always has weird cut off points, I think MGS was added late last year, not that we should be praising half finished games!

As for AAA vs Indies, I very rarely get anywhere near as much out of indie games as AAA, I don't know if it's because I'm not a fan of the often wanky experiences that are on offer, but even games like The Witness, that are as close to being right in the middle as you can get don't stand anywhere near the experience I've got from The Witcher, Uncharted or Deus Ex, so to me getting to recognise it as a great game at all is nice.
I'll not have a bad word said about MGS. However I'll side with you on the indies, as much as some of them might be impressive experiences, I'm never gonna put one as a GOTY because quite simply they just don't come close to the blockbuster hits.
masofdas wrote:
I went for Fire Emblem Fates

I think Pokemon Go has a shoot at GOTY, really it isn't but this is a punlic vote and you asked everyone single person Pokemon Go what the GOTY is and I bet Pokemon Go wins.
Not a chance, most of the casuals who don't usually play games enjoyed this but most of them aren't playing now as the appeal wore off, I'm sure they'd much sooner vote for something with a longer lasting appeal like FIFA (I feel dirty saying that).
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest!   The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest! - Page 4 EmptyWed 21 Sep 2016 - 7:49

Yeah FIFA is a good shout or something like COD which was sort of my point that if the vast majority who were asked to vote were casuals what would be the outcome as the goldenjoysticks even though its rather lame, they're gettign gamers to vote by putting the vote up on gaming sites like gamesradar which those casual won't be going on.

Why? TSmurf though why is a blockbuster going to be your GOTY over a inde what makes one so much better also it is heard to say what is and isn't indie now as The Witcher 3 is a technically a indie.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest!   The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest! - Page 4 EmptyTue 27 Sep 2016 - 0:27

Whilst I'll enjoy them, they're always going to be limited by their budget, it's not to say indies aren't better experiences but the big hitters are just usually the more complete package. I suppose I'm defining indie as something that a small team will create and release on their own merits without the help of a big publisher up yeah the lines are more and more blurred these days.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest!   The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest! - Page 4 EmptyFri 18 Nov 2016 - 21:00

We have the winners::

The big winner for taking awards is Overwatch with 5 awards, I do find the Xbox and Nintendo winners odd being a timed exclusive when it seems the category is aimed at exclusives but guess it is due to the timing of the awards and the other game being a remaster especially if you look what's on the VGA list.

The VGA Nominees are up, this is voted by a jury which includes 29 global media and influencing outlets::
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest!   The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest! - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Golden Joysticks! Democracy at its finest!
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next