Nintendo in encouraging Emio-lation shocker

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread

Go down 
+5
shanks
ZeroJones
masofdas
The_Jaster
Admin
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread   The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 14:18

I keep scouring the second hand places in the hopes that I'll find a console somewhere so I can actually test that
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread   The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 14:21

Don't N64s go for peanuts on eBay? I'm far from being a fan of the N64, so I've never bothered to check.
Back to top Go down
http://messedupcables.forumotion.net
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread   The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 14:25

They've gone back up in price, still one of the cheaper Nintendo systems to buy though.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread   The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 20:50

Stu_the_great wrote:
I wish more people used the retro section of the forum. It got a decent amount of love on NGamer Forum, and people made lots of great retrospective threads on a regular basis.

Despite loving all things retro I'm never certain what to post about or like Mas said you feel like you are talking to yourself, might have a good old think to see if I can come up with something though.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread   The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 20:56

Stu_the_great wrote:
I wish more people used the retro section of the forum. It got a decent amount of love on NGamer Forum, and people made lots of great retrospective threads on a regular basis.

Trouble is, a lot of NGamer Retro's best content has moved across to GG.  Myself, I'm not much of a retro gamer at all: it's nice to come in here and remember what I used to play, but I wouldn't want to play most of it again.  Sorry Stu. Aww!
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread   The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 21:49

GG?

Yeah there must be more we can do.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread   The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 22:09

The_Jaster wrote:
Despite loving all things retro I'm never certain what to post about or like Mas said you feel like you are talking to yourself, might have a good old think to see if I can come up with something though.

Even if you're just talking to me, I appreciate you giving it a stab. Laughing I'd happily create a topic based on whatever retro game I'm playing at any one time, but a lot of them would probably go over people's heads.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread   The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 22:11

Maybe that's a idea as we have what you playing on Wii U etc maybe what retro game I'm playing which od course could be a VC game on the Wii U or a PS1 classic on PS3 for instance.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread   The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 22:14

Here be that thread! Let's smash it:

http://messedupcables.forumotion.net/t228-last-retro-game-you-played-what-retro-game-are-you-currently-playing
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread   The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 22:17

Wonder why we all forgot about it.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread   The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread - Page 2 EmptyWed 7 Jan 2015 - 7:42

Ahhh, you real retrogamers - proper, genuine respect. Thumbs Up! It's the VC for me, and I've only one NES game that I bought specifically for the Wii U (Duck Hunt)... although there are a few more lurking in the Wii Mode. So many classics I'll never be able to play... play 'em for me, guys! *sniff*
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread   The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread - Page 2 EmptyWed 7 Jan 2015 - 10:35

Didn't you get the 30p games Zero
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread   The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread - Page 2 EmptyWed 7 Jan 2015 - 11:51

ZeroJones wrote:
Ahhh, you real retrogamers - proper, genuine respect. Thumbs Up!

:king:

I'm really funny about the VC. I tend to get VC games if the game in question is new to me, expensive on cart and I'm not sure if I'll like it. Street Gangs is a good example here: I'm enjoying it, but the benefit of save states over the (ridiculous!) password system makes the game so much better. And it costs £38+ on cartridge.

If it's cheap on eBay and I think I might like it, it becomes one for the shelf. I just love firing up the original hardware, picking up the original controller and experiencing it as close as I can to how an 80's/90's kid would have done.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread   The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread - Page 2 EmptyWed 7 Jan 2015 - 11:56

Same but as I don't own any Nintendo system pre Cube, well I can play OG GB games on my GBASP or GBA Player. The VC is great as like you some eg Earthbound is rather expensive on a actual SNES cart.

But I would still sooner play Sonic 2 on a actual Mega Drive then on a Wii.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread   The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread - Page 2 EmptyThu 8 Jan 2015 - 7:15

masofdas wrote:
Didn't you get the 30p games Zero

Not a one, sir: either already had them or wasn't interested in them. This reveals me to be an incredible cheapskate.

Stu_the_great wrote:
ZeroJones wrote:
Ahhh, you real retrogamers - proper, genuine respect. Thumbs Up!

:king:

... If it's cheap on eBay and I think I might like it, it becomes one for the shelf. I just love firing up the original hardware, picking up the original controller and experiencing it as close as I can to how an 80's/90's kid would have done.

That is a massive lure for me too but, well, I wouldn't do anything else with my time. Grin The SNES Classic Controller for the Wii will have to do.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread   The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread - Page 2 EmptyThu 8 Jan 2015 - 10:13

ZeroJones wrote:
That is a massive lure for me too but, well, I wouldn't do anything else with my time. Grin The SNES Classic Controller for the Wii will have to do.

You are not wrong here. Were it not for my 3DS, I wouldn't play any new games these days. Shocked
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread   The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread - Page 2 EmptySun 15 Feb 2015 - 15:35

Want to buy a NEW NES game checkout the gameplay.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread   The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread - Page 2 EmptySun 15 Feb 2015 - 23:24

Oh dear - that looks terrible. The NES had official games come out in 1994, but in 2015, someone's programming at a 1982 level. That's some Manic Miner shit right there. The levitation is just someone hasn't got the hang of how jumping mechanics work. This is another thing that gets me about creating games for outdated hardware: it takes much more work to get to a certain level of design / proficiency.
(rant over - sorry)
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
mandlecreed
Bokoblin
mandlecreed

PostSubject: Re: The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread   The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread - Page 2 EmptyFri 6 Mar 2015 - 16:39

Disassembled my NES the other month and tightened up the cassette prongs. It's a bugger to get the damn carts out now but it works a ton better than it used to.

Bummed that my Zelda 2 cart is fudged though. Still, I need to get back on Faxanadu and finish that again. A Zelda 2-a-like that out-Zelda-2's Zelda 2 I reckon.

Need to see if I can get my copy of Dizzy working on it too.

Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/mandlecreed02
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread   The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread - Page 2 EmptySat 7 Mar 2015 - 9:35

Oh no. What's up with your Zelda II cart, Mandle? Besides it not working. Laughing
Back to top Go down
mandlecreed
Bokoblin
mandlecreed

PostSubject: Re: The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread   The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread - Page 2 EmptySat 7 Mar 2015 - 23:31

Stu_the_great wrote:
Oh no. What's up with your Zelda II cart, Mandle? Besides it not working. Laughing

Just won't come on. Tried every known trick in the book to no avail. I do have it on GBA/3DS VC/Wii VC though so I have other outlets xD
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/mandlecreed02
Dead Lemon
FMK Tagline
Dead Lemon

PostSubject: Re: The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread   The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread - Page 2 EmptySun 8 Mar 2015 - 0:04

The NES was my first taste of gaming. Was about 4 when my dad bought one. First game I saw (then played) was the TMNT game. Tough as nails but as a persistent gamer I eventually beat it, something I wouldn't even attempt to do now.

Other games I remember from the console included;

Mario Bros 1, 2 and 3 - all classics that got better with each entry in the series
Simpsons: Bart vs the Space Mutants - another difficult game that took ages to get through.
Tetris - A game everyone in the family played, even my mum
Gremlins 2 - The only other game I recall my mum playing
Lemmings
Krusty's Fun House - odd Simpsons themed Lemmings-like game about murdering mice
Mario is Missing - Edutainment at its finest
Snake Rattle n' Roll - Great co-op play
Ducktails
Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers

Had a lot more but not so many of the classics - Zelda, Castlevanias, Mega Man or Metroid for example.

Sadly when I was about 7 or 8 my brothers and I agreed to swap the NES (and 20+ games) with a friend of the family's MegaDrive (and 3 games). A decision I've regretted ever since. Sad
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread   The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread - Page 2 EmptySun 8 Mar 2015 - 14:36

That's a odd one as you got a 4th gen system with loads of quality games to come out but the NES was such as good system.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread   The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue 10 Mar 2015 - 9:49

No way would I ever trade my NES in. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Dead Lemon
FMK Tagline
Dead Lemon

PostSubject: Re: The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread   The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread - Page 2 EmptyWed 11 Mar 2015 - 0:13

Whilst I did enjoy the MegaDrive I still feel I had made a huge mistake in completing the trade. Remembering the regret is why I've never traded (or traded in/sold) a game or console since.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread   The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Nintendo Entertainment System Thread
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next