We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread

Go down 
+20
JayMoyles
Kriken
The_Jaster
Gwyn400
Muss
Buskalilly
ZeroJones
Pineapple
flora-chan
Slazo
Axis1500
Sentinator
NintenDUCK
Sylveon
masofdas
beemoh
fronkhead
shanks
Crumpy Andy
Athrun888
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15 ... 28  Next
AuthorMessage
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 3 EmptySat 5 Apr 2014 - 10:45

For those interested crunchyroll has just started to add jojo's bizarre adventure to their catalog.  http://www.crunchyroll.com/jojos-bizarre-adventure

I've been interested in checking this show out for a while, now there's no excuse.
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 3 EmptySat 5 Apr 2014 - 11:55

And even though I may be the only one excited.

FAIRY TAIL IS BACK!!!!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 3 EmptySat 5 Apr 2014 - 12:15

Athrun888 wrote:
For those interested crunchyroll has just started to add jojo's bizarre adventure to their catalog.  http://www.crunchyroll.com/jojos-bizarre-adventure

I've been interested in checking this show out for a while, now there's no excuse.

I may have to look at this, just for "WRYYYYYYYYYYY".
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 3 EmptySun 6 Apr 2014 - 19:53

Madman has announced the aquasition of streaming rights for upcoming anime Knights of Sidonia. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com.au/news/2014-04-06/madman-entertainment-licenses-knights-of-sidonia

Which would be cool if their streaming didn't always fuck up for me at the moment. It's weird, worked fine for me and someone else last week, then suddenly on a rewatch of chunibyo before season 1 gets removed constantly stops to load or, if I waste my time using my laptop, kicks me out and force me to reload completely. Had the same problem when watching psycho-pass about a month back. I wonder if it's a problem on their end or mine, either way it's beginning to really piss me off. Especially seeing awesome news like that and knowing the chances of me watching it are probably next to zero unless something changes.  Meh 
Back to top Go down
Sentinator
Bokoblin
Sentinator

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 3 EmptyThu 22 May 2014 - 18:47

If you read manga you'll know that a lot of the time even the Japanese version of the anime can be poor compared to the source material. Venus Versus Virus is an example.

What I tend to do is watch the dub, then sub. I tend to finish with the source material which is usually (but not always) the manga.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 3 EmptySun 22 Jun 2014 - 21:51

Ah episode 12 of steins;gate, good times.  Good times.  

MAJOR steins;gate spoilers:

I'm not one to usually go subs over dub when the dub is good but I believe I prefer the sub for this series.  I have nothing against the dub and Michael J. Tatum does a fantastic job as Okabe, but when the original was perfection you just can't top it even with almost-perfection.

So, who else here has watched steins;gate and what did you think of it?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed 25 Jun 2014 - 19:26

Anyone bothered about the Sailor Moon reboot.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed 25 Jun 2014 - 22:04

I'd be more interested if my only experiences with the franchise were some no doubt highly nostalgia clouded memories from what I assume was a highly butchered dub broadcast release from when I was a kid.  As it is right now I'm more interested in viz's planned release of the entire original series redubbed, subbed, and uncut than I am the reboot, hopefully one of the australian anime distributors picks it up locally.  

That isn't to say I'm not interested in any way at all, but it's more the sort of thing I'll probably check out after it's finished airing at some point.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 3 EmptyThu 26 Jun 2014 - 10:17

That's pretty much my memories of it.
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 3 EmptyThu 26 Jun 2014 - 10:48

Sentinator wrote:
If you read manga you'll know that a lot of the time even the Japanese version of the anime can be poor compared to the source material. Venus Versus Virus is an example.

What I tend to do is watch the dub, then sub. I tend to finish with the source material which is usually (but not always) the manga.

Yeah, adaptations can be hit and miss. I like it when they make the most of the particular media type. For example, Hayate no Gotoku's first anime season was great, since SynergySP knew it was an anime, not a manga. Subsequent seasons by JC Staff didn't come close: it was just a soulless transfer of manga panels to animation, nothing else. Of course, that made it 'truer' to the original manga, but it was far less entertaining as a result.

And, of course, it works the other way round too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't imagine the manga adaptation of, say, Magica Madoka being better than the animated original.
Back to top Go down
Axis1500
Vote Thread
Axis1500

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri 11 Jul 2014 - 19:17

So, I've finally started getting into Anime. Any recommendations for a n00b like me?

So far I've seen the Professor Layton movie (thanks, GNamer Secret Santa), The Girl That Leapt Through Time, and I'm kinda enjoying Upotte.
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri 11 Jul 2014 - 22:48

Axis1500 wrote:
So, I've finally started getting into Anime. Any recommendations for a n00b like me?

So far I've seen the Professor Layton movie (thanks, GNamer Secret Santa), The Girl That Leapt Through Time, and I'm kinda enjoying Upotte.

Puella Magi Magica Madoka: stick with it if you think it's a standard "magical girl" type anime, it's actually a deconstruction of the genre. But the less you know going into it the better it is so I'll remain shtum for now.

"Welcome to the N.H.K." is entertaining, as is The Tatami Galaxy.

Higurashi is a great 'horror' like anime, too, with a great plot (it's essentially a whodunnit but with a few red herrings as you'd expect, but season 1 gives the questions, season 2 reveals some of the answers in a less obvious way).

Clannad is also worth a watch, I'd say. If anyone recommends Angel Beats! to you, ignore them and watch both seasons of Clannad instead.

Last edited by fronkhead on Fri 11 Jul 2014 - 23:52; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri 11 Jul 2014 - 23:34

I'm waiting for FILMFOUR Anime season again, but really want to watch the new sailor moon but I want to wait for dub over sub.
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 3 EmptySat 12 Jul 2014 - 2:48

Then there is Soul Eater, Sword Art Online, Fairy Tail, Nisekoi, Space Dandy, Kill La Kill, to name a few others
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue 15 Jul 2014 - 14:51

I know I'm about 15 years too late, but I started watching Cowboy Bebop. I'm loving the aesthetic of this - like a Firefly anime.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue 15 Jul 2014 - 15:30

I watched a few episodes of that. Never really got into it. Lack of story, I guess, and I didn't really get on with most of the characters. Apart from Ed and her corgi, of course.
Back to top Go down
Sentinator
Bokoblin
Sentinator

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 3 EmptyThu 17 Jul 2014 - 21:43

fronkhead wrote:
Yeah, adaptations can be hit and miss. I like it when they make the most of the particular media type. For example, Hayate no Gotoku's first anime season was great, since SynergySP knew it was an anime, not a manga. Subsequent seasons by JC Staff didn't come close: it was just a soulless transfer of manga panels to animation, nothing else. Of course, that made it 'truer' to the original manga, but it was far less entertaining as a result.

And, of course, it works the other way round too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't imagine the manga adaptation of, say, Magica Madoka being better than the animated original.
You are right. Code Geass is another example of an original anime. When it starts out as an anime series the manga tend to set the story in a different timeline (see Angel Beats) and they are better in animated form.

I suspect its to do with nothing beating the creator's vision. If I like an anime series I will always watch and read most takes on the story. It gives you a good look at the setting. The chances are you will always like the original most but it doesn't mean dubs or animations aren't worth looking over.

For an earlier question, I am a blind fool for Sailor Moon. Of course I am watching it  Very Happy

Also for fronk, I have both Angel Beats and Clannad. Nothing wrong with liking both  Nah nah!

Axis = depends on what you are looking for.

I can recommend things across all genres except horror and yaoi. I know stuff in these genres, I just don't like the material.

These are my personal favorites if you are interested

1. Sailor Moon
2. Haruhi Suzumiya
3. Blue Drop
4. Senran Kagura
5. Angel Beats
6. Slayers
7. Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
8. Kannazuki no Miko
9. Kampfer
10. Powerpuff Girls Z
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 3 EmptyThu 17 Jul 2014 - 22:07

Code Geass is brilliant. Apart from the really obvious telegraphed only-way-the-series-could-continue "twist" with Euphie.
Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 3 EmptyThu 17 Jul 2014 - 22:19

My favourite series was always Honey And Clover, because I'm a huge girl.

I finally managed to find the DVD last year, and when I came to watch it (some time after ordering it, so too late to return it), the second disc didn't work. So, last week, knowing I'd be at my parents' for an extended period of time, I ordered another copy, planning to return the old one and get a refund.

The old one works fine on my parents' DVD player. Sad

Other series that are worth a nosey: Hidamari Sketch, Attack On Titan, Perfect Blue, and obligatory Neon Genesis Evangelion mention.
Back to top Go down
Sentinator
Bokoblin
Sentinator

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri 18 Jul 2014 - 6:37

Balladeer wrote:
Code Geass is brilliant.  Apart from the really obvious telegraphed only-way-the-series-could-continue "twist" with Euphie.
Another fan of Geass is on here?  Shocked 

I have the first 3 volumes on DVD (in those weird cases) and bought the second series on Blu-Ray at comic con last year. I do plan to buy SAO, Strike Witches and series 1 of Geass tomorrow if I can find them.

Any fans of Squid Girl on here while we are at it?

That sounds strange beemoh. Usually when my discs don't work they crash on everything.
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri 18 Jul 2014 - 9:06

Yeah I didn't mind Squid Girl
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri 18 Jul 2014 - 12:58

On the subject of recommendations I'll fourth code geass (in my opinion a mandatory watch for every anime watcher) and second attack on titan. I'd also add Chunibyo, hilarious and adorable comedy that one. It also gets points for never being mean with its humor despite the subject matter being high school students having delusions of having super powers with the lead being a particularly hopeless case. The second season wasn't needed and gets a fair bit of flak because of it but the first season is great stuff. Funny, cute, fuzzy, and entertaining. Easily one of my favourite series next to code geass.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri 18 Jul 2014 - 14:55

Geass was great when it wasn't all stupid robots fighting each other. Fight scenes aren't that great in anything, let alone anime.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri 26 Sep 2014 - 13:54

I've not watched the anime but hear good things of korra and there's a donwloadable game coming soon from platinum based on it.

As it's from platinum and will be what £15 at the most, I'm very tempted to get it but will I have any problems due to me knowing nothing about the source material as the game set around book 3 (I think).
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri 26 Sep 2014 - 14:10

Korra isn't anime..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread
Page 3 of 28Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15 ... 28  Next