Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training >> Wordle

HomeHome  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread

Go down 
+19
Kriken
The_Jaster
Gwyn400
Muss
Buskalilly
ZeroJones
Pineapple
flora-chan
Slazo
Axis1500
Sentinator
NintenDUCK
Sylveon
masofdas
beemoh
fronkhead
shanks
Crumpy Andy
Athrun888
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 23, 24, 25
AuthorMessage
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 EmptySun 10 Oct 2021 - 12:49

I'd recommend maybe giving OG Dragon Ball a try - DBZ is a lot more angular and sharp with its art where the original series is a bit more softer and rounded in its art. It's maybe not as clean as some of the more recent shows you've watched, but it did originally air in the 80s so I think it's worth giving it a pass there!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
The Next Miyamoto
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 EmptyWed 10 Nov 2021 - 21:25

So yep, I finished Steins;Gate and... hm.

I think my big problem was that I never got over my dislike of two of the main characters, Mayuri and Daru. The 'honey-voiced airhead' trope isn't something I've enjoyed elsewhere and it didn't work for me here; meanwhile Daru should have been kicked out of the friendship group long ago for generally being disgusting. I also didn't really like Moeka or Faris ('nyan nyan nyan!!!!'). Kurisu grew on me and Suzuha was genuinely good, but the damage was done by then. I can easily forgive a slightly iffy plot if the characters are strong, but I find the other way round much harder.

The other big issue is that it felt a lot like they were setting up a bunch of love interests for Okarin. Faris and Luca especially felt like they were there to be trans-timeline partner options. So I went to look up the game on Wikipedia and that's exactly what they are! So that undermined them a bit.

There were good bits: the premise of the jellied time travel people was pretty interesting, and I'm slightly sad we didn't see more of that. I still can't see how it gets from 'good bits' to 10/10 I'm afraid!
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 EmptyThu 11 Nov 2021 - 16:25

Ah, see, I really like Mayuri. I think having a sweet and friendly lass to help keep Okarin grounded is important. Daru, meh, I can take or leave him - there's always one perv character in shows like these to ignore, right?

Faris Nyan Nyan is hilarious and I'll hear nothing else about it. Laughing

I think the reason it scored so highly for me is that I really enjoyed seeing Okabe and Kurisu interact and how their relationship developed was really engaging for me. Was the 25th episode/OVA included in whatever service you watched it on? I think it's a must watch companion piece to the series.

I finished both series of Zombieland SAGA recently in which I was tricked into watching an idol anime and ended up really bloody enjoying it. Laughing

Very funny premise of a mad scientist eccentric (amusingly voiced by the same VA as Okabe) bringing back idols from different decades to form an idol supergroup to drum up publicity for a rural precinct of Japan, Saga.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
The Next Miyamoto
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 EmptyFri 12 Nov 2021 - 8:50

Faris Nyan Nyan is a tedious and faintly creepy shiter of a character and I'll hear nothing else about it. Tongue I think I would've liked Mayuri more with a different VA, but in general the airhead trope doesn't work for me.

I did watch the 25th episode.  I liked how it wrapped things up, and yes their relationship was good.  (People kissing!  In an anime!  That feels weirdly rare, normally it's just dancing around the matter and getting nosebleeds.)  It still was a far way off 10/10 on its own.  I also thought the villains were good, when you saw them.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Bargain Hunter
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 EmptyFri 12 Nov 2021 - 9:24

Faris is the best.
Mayuri should have her stupid blue hat confisgated and be made to watch as someone stamps on it in a muddy puddle.

I've only played the game, so I probably have a different view on the world.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
The Next Miyamoto
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 EmptyMon 15 Nov 2021 - 21:32

I think maybe she gets more development in the game?

Anyway, I've started Naruto. The first episode is actually really good, but I'm sure it'll get bobbins at some point. The big animes usually do. Anyone know if it has any filler arcs I can skip?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Koizumi
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 EmptyMon 15 Nov 2021 - 21:44

As a perk on Game Pass, I've got 75 days of Cruncyroll Sub. I'm yet to watch anything and I know last time I had Funimation, umm I had 12 shows on the go and dropped them all even ones I liked, and even on Amazon I watched the first two Neon Genesis films but not the second two.

That I don't know if I'll stick to any suggestions but anything subbed (yes I'm that guy), with like 20ish episodes should I watch? Might also be things like Slime which I can continue on from where I left off.

Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Greener
gjones

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 EmptyTue 16 Nov 2021 - 14:28

Hi guys. I've not really watched anime or read manga in a long time so thought I'd lean on you guys' expertise. My daughter is really into drawing anime characters at the moment and she likes the Studio Ghibli movies, plus anything that's a bit chibi/cute. As she'll be 10 soon, I'm thinking of getting her some actual manga books, but as it will be her first I'm not sure where to start. The one series that sticks out is Sailor Moon but just not sure if it's suitable, or if you guys know what's a good series for a new female reader.

Appreciate any tips.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
The Next Miyamoto
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 EmptyWed 17 Nov 2021 - 14:17

I think Sailor Moon is meant to be laser-focussed at that age group, and should be decent enough. Definitely suitable. Otherwise, Digimon would be my recommendation. I think you maybe said she likes Pokémon well enough?
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 EmptyThu 25 Nov 2021 - 13:13

@Balladeer wrote:

Anyway, I've started Naruto.  The first episode is actually really good, but I'm sure it'll get bobbins at some point.  The big animes usually do.  Anyone know if it has any filler arcs I can skip?

I think if you're watching any of the big Shonen Jump hundred plus episode series, the answer to your question will be "oh god, yes." Laughing

I'm finally getting around to filling in one of my big anime viewership gaps by watching Cowboy Bebop. As you'd expect, it's a banger thus far.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Naga
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 EmptyFri 26 Nov 2021 - 2:02

I have a direct line to dozens of 10-year-old Japanese girls, so I'll ask around.
The problem is that all my students, regardless of age or gender, are obsessed with the same manga/ anime at the moment and to an outside mind it does NOT seem age-appropriate. (That being Demon Slayer)

@Balladeer wrote:
 Otherwise, Digimon would be my recommendation.  I think you maybe said she likes Pokémon well enough?
I'd agree if we were talking anime, but in terms of manga I think Pokémon is much better represented.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
The Next Miyamoto
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 EmptySun 28 Nov 2021 - 17:27

Oh duh, I completely missed the bit where GJones said 'manga'. Duh!

Based on what I've seen of Demon Slayer (the anime) that does not seem age-appropriate, no. Lots of grisly death.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Naga
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 EmptyMon 29 Nov 2021 - 23:21

Yeah it's wild. There's this weird disconnect where older manga fans like it, little kids like it, but the parents of those little kids have no idea what it is. Apparently a lot of them were in for a shock when they took the nippers to the cinema for the movie and saw first-hand how violent it is.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
The Next Miyamoto
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 EmptyMon 17 Jan 2022 - 22:05

Also apparently Nezuko... inflates in the latest series. No It's a big reason I haven't pushed on with it.

I am watching Komi Can't Communicate though. It's cuter than I thought, apart from the swimsuit episode which needs to get (ironically) in the sea. Otherwise it's all pretty sweet and not too creepy, and it has a gender-fluid/neutral main character so that's good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread
Page 25 of 25Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 23, 24, 25