We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread

Go down 
+20
JayMoyles
Kriken
The_Jaster
Gwyn400
Muss
Buskalilly
ZeroJones
Pineapple
flora-chan
Slazo
Axis1500
Sentinator
NintenDUCK
Sylveon
masofdas
beemoh
fronkhead
shanks
Crumpy Andy
Athrun888
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
AuthorMessage
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 EmptySun 10 Oct 2021 - 12:49

I'd recommend maybe giving OG Dragon Ball a try - DBZ is a lot more angular and sharp with its art where the original series is a bit more softer and rounded in its art. It's maybe not as clean as some of the more recent shows you've watched, but it did originally air in the 80s so I think it's worth giving it a pass there!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 EmptyWed 10 Nov 2021 - 21:25

So yep, I finished Steins;Gate and... hm.

I think my big problem was that I never got over my dislike of two of the main characters, Mayuri and Daru. The 'honey-voiced airhead' trope isn't something I've enjoyed elsewhere and it didn't work for me here; meanwhile Daru should have been kicked out of the friendship group long ago for generally being disgusting. I also didn't really like Moeka or Faris ('nyan nyan nyan!!!!'). Kurisu grew on me and Suzuha was genuinely good, but the damage was done by then. I can easily forgive a slightly iffy plot if the characters are strong, but I find the other way round much harder.

The other big issue is that it felt a lot like they were setting up a bunch of love interests for Okarin. Faris and Luca especially felt like they were there to be trans-timeline partner options. So I went to look up the game on Wikipedia and that's exactly what they are! So that undermined them a bit.

There were good bits: the premise of the jellied time travel people was pretty interesting, and I'm slightly sad we didn't see more of that. I still can't see how it gets from 'good bits' to 10/10 I'm afraid!
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 EmptyThu 11 Nov 2021 - 16:25

Ah, see, I really like Mayuri. I think having a sweet and friendly lass to help keep Okarin grounded is important. Daru, meh, I can take or leave him - there's always one perv character in shows like these to ignore, right?

Faris Nyan Nyan is hilarious and I'll hear nothing else about it. Laughing

I think the reason it scored so highly for me is that I really enjoyed seeing Okabe and Kurisu interact and how their relationship developed was really engaging for me. Was the 25th episode/OVA included in whatever service you watched it on? I think it's a must watch companion piece to the series.

I finished both series of Zombieland SAGA recently in which I was tricked into watching an idol anime and ended up really bloody enjoying it. Laughing

Very funny premise of a mad scientist eccentric (amusingly voiced by the same VA as Okabe) bringing back idols from different decades to form an idol supergroup to drum up publicity for a rural precinct of Japan, Saga.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 EmptyFri 12 Nov 2021 - 8:50

Faris Nyan Nyan is a tedious and faintly creepy shiter of a character and I'll hear nothing else about it. Tongue I think I would've liked Mayuri more with a different VA, but in general the airhead trope doesn't work for me.

I did watch the 25th episode.  I liked how it wrapped things up, and yes their relationship was good.  (People kissing!  In an anime!  That feels weirdly rare, normally it's just dancing around the matter and getting nosebleeds.)  It still was a far way off 10/10 on its own.  I also thought the villains were good, when you saw them.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 EmptyFri 12 Nov 2021 - 9:24

Faris is the best.
Mayuri should have her stupid blue hat confisgated and be made to watch as someone stamps on it in a muddy puddle.

I've only played the game, so I probably have a different view on the world.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 EmptyMon 15 Nov 2021 - 21:32

I think maybe she gets more development in the game?

Anyway, I've started Naruto. The first episode is actually really good, but I'm sure it'll get bobbins at some point. The big animes usually do. Anyone know if it has any filler arcs I can skip?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 EmptyMon 15 Nov 2021 - 21:44

As a perk on Game Pass, I've got 75 days of Cruncyroll Sub. I'm yet to watch anything and I know last time I had Funimation, umm I had 12 shows on the go and dropped them all even ones I liked, and even on Amazon I watched the first two Neon Genesis films but not the second two.

That I don't know if I'll stick to any suggestions but anything subbed (yes I'm that guy), with like 20ish episodes should I watch? Might also be things like Slime which I can continue on from where I left off.

Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 EmptyTue 16 Nov 2021 - 14:28

Hi guys. I've not really watched anime or read manga in a long time so thought I'd lean on you guys' expertise. My daughter is really into drawing anime characters at the moment and she likes the Studio Ghibli movies, plus anything that's a bit chibi/cute. As she'll be 10 soon, I'm thinking of getting her some actual manga books, but as it will be her first I'm not sure where to start. The one series that sticks out is Sailor Moon but just not sure if it's suitable, or if you guys know what's a good series for a new female reader.

Appreciate any tips.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 EmptyWed 17 Nov 2021 - 14:17

I think Sailor Moon is meant to be laser-focussed at that age group, and should be decent enough. Definitely suitable. Otherwise, Digimon would be my recommendation. I think you maybe said she likes Pokémon well enough?
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 EmptyThu 25 Nov 2021 - 13:13

Balladeer wrote:

Anyway, I've started Naruto.  The first episode is actually really good, but I'm sure it'll get bobbins at some point.  The big animes usually do.  Anyone know if it has any filler arcs I can skip?

I think if you're watching any of the big Shonen Jump hundred plus episode series, the answer to your question will be "oh god, yes." Laughing

I'm finally getting around to filling in one of my big anime viewership gaps by watching Cowboy Bebop. As you'd expect, it's a banger thus far.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 EmptyFri 26 Nov 2021 - 2:02

I have a direct line to dozens of 10-year-old Japanese girls, so I'll ask around.
The problem is that all my students, regardless of age or gender, are obsessed with the same manga/ anime at the moment and to an outside mind it does NOT seem age-appropriate. (That being Demon Slayer)

Balladeer wrote:
 Otherwise, Digimon would be my recommendation.  I think you maybe said she likes Pokémon well enough?
I'd agree if we were talking anime, but in terms of manga I think Pokémon is much better represented.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 EmptySun 28 Nov 2021 - 17:27

Oh duh, I completely missed the bit where GJones said 'manga'. Duh!

Based on what I've seen of Demon Slayer (the anime) that does not seem age-appropriate, no. Lots of grisly death.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 EmptyMon 29 Nov 2021 - 23:21

Yeah it's wild. There's this weird disconnect where older manga fans like it, little kids like it, but the parents of those little kids have no idea what it is. Apparently a lot of them were in for a shock when they took the nippers to the cinema for the movie and saw first-hand how violent it is.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 EmptyMon 17 Jan 2022 - 22:05

Also apparently Nezuko... inflates in the latest series. No It's a big reason I haven't pushed on with it.

I am watching Komi Can't Communicate though. It's cuter than I thought, apart from the swimsuit episode which needs to get (ironically) in the sea. Otherwise it's all pretty sweet and not too creepy, and it has a gender-fluid/neutral main character so that's good.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 EmptySun 20 Mar 2022 - 12:44

I've been watching a whole bunch of anime recently, which is as good a reason as any for a double post:

- Hunter x Hunter is probably the big shonen anime we haven't watched, tried, or discounted on female character grounds yet. It's a lot of fun. Probably my favourite one I'm watching at the moment.
- Rurouni Henshin is the other shonen anime I'm watching at the moment, about a (stupidly talented) soldier who fought in the war that created the Meiji era and is trying to atone for his past by protecting people. Looks older, still entertaining, and the battle scenes are still better than Bleach - as in, stuff actually happens rather than just all alk.
- Moriarty the Patriot is one for Buska. Definitely a lot darker in tone, it paints Holmes' nemesis as an anti-hero, solving problems by murdering the evil rich.
- Saiki K. is not darker in tone. Fun enough comedy anime on Netflix.
- Finally, Kaguya-Sama: Love Is War. I've been recommended this coming off Komi by the GRcade anime bods, but I'm struggling to get into it. Thus far it's just 'you should love me' 'no you should love me'. Apparently it gets better. Suspect

Anybody else watching anything they'd recommend, or recommend I stay away from?
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 EmptyWed 13 Jul 2022 - 19:57

My pre-order for Pocky & Rocky Reshrined didn’t arrive until four days late, and the package was damaged. Even so, I was happy to receive my game…except it wasn’t my game:

The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 Img_2055

What have I got here? Is this some sort of manga classic? Or is someone ripping the piss?
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 EmptyWed 13 Jul 2022 - 20:01

Death Note is one of the classic mangas/animes. It was too dark for me, but it's renowned as being bloody excellent (and just plain bloody in parts).

Instead I'm currently watching a bunch of schoolkids play volleyball, after watching a bunch of schoolkids playing shogi. More my speed.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 EmptyThu 4 Aug 2022 - 17:52

Balladeer wrote:

- Finally, Kaguya-Sama: Love Is War.  I've been recommended this coming off Komi by the GRcade anime bods, but I'm struggling to get into it.  Thus far it's just 'you should love me' 'no you should love me'.  Apparently it gets better. Suspect

It does get better, although I loved the comedy in it from the outset for what it's worth. Did you stick with it?

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
My pre-order for Pocky & Rocky Reshrined didn’t arrive until four days late, and the package was damaged. Even so, I was happy to receive my game…except it wasn’t my game:

The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 Img_2055

What have I got here? Is this some sort of manga classic? Or is someone ripping the piss?

I hope you picked up the first two volumes and have become a massive weeb though Death Note being your gateway drug. (It is a classic, for what it's worth).

Balladeer wrote:
Instead I'm currently watching a bunch of schoolkids play volleyball, after watching a bunch of schoolkids playing shogi.  More my speed.

How was Haikyuu? It's on my "to-watch, someday" list. If you're looking for another sports anime recommendation, I really can't recommend Run with the Wind strongly enough. I'd imagine it'll hit upon some of the same theming as Haikyuu, but I think you'll still enjoy it. I really loved it - some beautiful animation and music coupled with incredibly emotional moments throughout the climax of the show. It's one of the few shows I've given a 10/10 to on MAL.

I recently finished Neon Genesis Evangelion plus The End of Evangelion. You may have heard of it. I really liked it, but I think it's spoilery to go into why, so I'll refrain.

I've also gone back and decided to give the TWEWY anime a go. I don't think I could recommend this if you haven't played the game as it rockets through the story at a lightning pace, but the animation and music is selling this to me. It really does capture the feel of the game in that regard.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 EmptyFri 5 Aug 2022 - 20:49

JayMoyles wrote:
Balladeer wrote:
Kaguya-Sama: Love Is War.
It does get better, although I loved the comedy in it from the outset for what it's worth. Did you stick with it?

Season 2's on Crunchyroll Premium, and I'm not currently subscribed.  I'd like enough reason to: I enjoyed what of Spy X Family I got to see, but didn't enjoy KSLiW enough for it to be the second killer app.  Don't suppose you have any recommendations Jay?

JayMoyles wrote:
How was Haikyuu? It's on my "to-watch, someday" list. If you're looking for another sports anime recommendation, I really can't recommend Run with the Wind strongly enough. I'd imagine it'll hit upon some of the same theming as Haikyuu, but I think you'll still enjoy it. I really loved it - some beautiful animation and music coupled with incredibly emotional moments throughout the climax of the show. It's one of the few shows I've given a 10/10 to on MAL.

Really good!  It's all about the characterisation in these things, and the squad is very nicely fleshed out.  The MC Hinata is like a bearable version of the super-enthusiastic trope, but he's surrounded by good eggs.  It ends in a kind of awkward place right now though, and although the next season has been announced, I've looked up the manga storyline like the piece of filth I am and I don't like where it goes.  I'll probably carry on just because the show's that good, but... yep, tad disappointing.

I've watched one (1) episode of RwtW at time of typing, but I'll keep going!  I like how they're uni students for once.  I trust that, in keeping with real-life running records, the African immigrant will be by far the best of them all.

JayMoyles wrote:
I recently finished Neon Genesis Evangelion plus The End of Evangelion. You may have heard of it. I really liked it, but I think it's spoilery to go into why, so I'll refrain.

Once or twice!  I'm curious, put it in a spoiler tag?

Since last time I've finally finished Jujutsu Kaisen (chef's kiss), and started Golden Kamuy.  The latter's really interesting because it's got a big focus on the Ainu, with an Ainu deuteragonist and an Ainu anthropologist advising the mangaka on the Ainu aspects - of which I've so far covered cooking, culture, and religion.  It's pretty dark and violent, but with enough levity to make it appealing to m'self.  Recommended.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 EmptyFri 5 Aug 2022 - 22:21

I still need to go back and watch the last two films of NGE and then the two other films at some point.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 EmptySat 6 Aug 2022 - 2:23

masofdas wrote:
I still need to go back and watch the last two films of NGE and then the two other films at some point.
The films that finish the series are literally the ending of the series - you haven't finished it if you don't watch End.

The remake films have some cool visuals and stuff but I'd comfortably say I prefer the TV show.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 EmptyMon 8 Aug 2022 - 19:29

Buskalilly wrote:
masofdas wrote:
The films that finish the series are literally the ending of the series - you haven't finished it if you don't watch End.
That or you're really there for seeing what a creator can do with no budget and a whole heap of drugs.

Jay: does the head of the club in Run With the Wind ever stop coming across as a manipulative berk?
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 EmptyTue 9 Aug 2022 - 7:13

Somehow I missed Cappa's accidental Death Note up there. Yeah, that's a genuine classic and was my gateway drug. I picked up the first volume on a whim and became obsessed, basically reading them as quick as I could buy them. I'm actually excited to reread them when I pick up some of my books from the UK next month.

Balladeer wrote:

That or you're really there for seeing what a creator can do with no budget and a whole heap of drugs.
No drugs involved, don't go pulling out that tired 90s gaming mag joke. For starters this is a Japanese production, drugs are legally and socaially way more taboo here - a creator can get cancelled just for doing them. Secondly, that's a crass reduction of a genuinely interesting exploration of the creator's own depression.

You should definitely watch EVA Balla. I don't know that you'll like it, but it's short and supremely influential. It's an artistic touchstone you just ought to know if you want to be taken seriously talking about anything made after it.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 EmptyWed 10 Aug 2022 - 20:39

Yeah, that was an atrocious take, sorry. I'd forgotten that he had depression, but even then it wasn't a good joke. I've not even watched the end of the series!

I have actually watched the rest, including End of Evangelion - but I was a kid back then. (My school anime club outright refused to show the last two episodes of the series.) It might hit different now.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 EmptyThu 11 Aug 2022 - 4:26

As a kid I never bat an eyelid when I read something like "Mario gets a leaf and then he turns into some kind of dog but it can also turn into a statue? What were they smoking?"
And now I realise these games were just made in a culture that has slightly more interesting mythology than Britain's "Lets imagine even more races of people we can oppress. These ones live under a hill and will do unpaid labour, these ones live at the end of the rainbow and have artifacts we can steal!"

If you want to see art that was made while doing loads of drugs, read one of the boring Tom Bombadil bits of Lord of the Rings, or listen to an unlistenable late Beatles track!

This isn't aimed at you necessarily, Balla, just explaining why I find that gag a tiresome one in any context.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 25 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread
Page 25 of 28Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next