We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Luigi442wii
Floppy and Salty

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island Empty
PostSubject: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island   Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island EmptyThu 17 Apr 2014 - 17:19

Super Mario World 2, is in my opinion, the best game of all time tied with New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

I don't know why it's so good, but the music was just awesome. Too bad they only made a few tracks.

The GBA port was the only one I played (not on emulators). I remember leaving my old 3DS on charge one day, and came back and the system wouldn't turn on, no matter what you did with it.

I only got to the last level in World 2 because it was actually an extremely difficult game, for most Nintendo games early (in this case, World 2).
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island   Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island EmptyThu 17 Apr 2014 - 18:31

Never really got on with it to the extent that others seem to have enjoyed it - perhaps playing Yoshi's Island DS first soured my opinion of it. I do like the music in it though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Luigi442wii
Floppy and Salty

PostSubject: Re: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island   Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island EmptyThu 17 Apr 2014 - 18:33

JayMoyles wrote:
Never really got on with it to the extent that others seem to have enjoyed it - perhaps playing Yoshi's Island DS first soured my opinion of it. I do like the music in it though.
Yeah. Yoshi's Island DS was actually running decent on an iPhone 4 when I played it a few months ago (Europe demo).
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island   Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island EmptyThu 17 Apr 2014 - 20:21

Yoshi's Island, then. Played it for the first time on the GBA, so keep that in mind. (In my opinion NSMBWii is down there with NSMB2, but that's another discussion.)

The art style is charming, and the years haven't aged it a bit. Even the Mode 7-rendered rotating platforms are charming in their attempts at being polygonal, rather than grating on the eyes.

The gameplay... has its moments. I love Yoshi (he's adorable, come on), but I'm not that fond of the way he controls. His fluttery jump is less precise than Mario's, and I've never been great at aiming, which extends to his eggs as well as FPSes. (Metroid Prime's lock-on was one of the greatest things to happen to me.) I didn't like his collectables either, from the jumping stars to the indistinguishable-from-any-other-coin Red Coins. The flowers would have been better on their own, as a counterpart to SMW's dragon coins. His transformations were, to be fair, great fun - apart from the mole car, which wasn't fun when it came back in Kirby's Epic Yarn either. Why do they keep bringing it back?

The levels have lost themselves from my memory, with only that one castle where you're running away from a giant Chomp remaining. The same cannot be said of the bosses: I loved what they did there, turning normal enemies into supersized foes. The Flowerpot Ghost, Prince Froggy and Raphael stand out, as does the final showdown with Giga Baby Bowser.

Overall, not one of my favourite platformers, but that's mostly due to just not being overly fond of how li'l Yoshi controls sadly. I love the world they built around him, even if I can't remember much of it. Just a shame it all went to hell in a handcart from then on.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Luigi442wii
Floppy and Salty

PostSubject: Re: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island   Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island EmptyThu 17 Apr 2014 - 20:23

Balladeer wrote:
Yoshi's Island, then.  Played it for the first time on the GBA, so keep that in mind.  (In my opinion NSMBWii is down there with NSMB2, but that's another discussion.)

The art style is charming, and the years haven't aged it a bit.  Even the Mode 7-rendered rotating platforms are charming in their attempts at being polygonal, rather than grating on the eyes.

The gameplay... has its moments.  I love Yoshi (he's adorable, come on), but I'm not that fond of the way he controls.  His fluttery jump is less precise than Mario's, and I've never been great at aiming, which extends to his eggs as well as FPSes.  (Metroid Prime's lock-on was one of the greatest things to happen to me.)  I didn't like his collectables either, from the jumping stars to the indistinguishable-from-any-other-coin Red Coins.  The flowers would have been better on their own, as a counterpart to SMW's dragon coins.  His transformations were, to be fair, great fun - apart from the mole car, which wasn't fun when it came back in Kirby's Epic Yarn either.  Why do they keep bringing it back?

The levels have lost themselves from my memory, with only that one castle where you're running away from a giant Chomp remaining.  The same cannot be said of the bosses: I loved what they did there, turning normal enemies into supersized foes.  The Flowerpot Ghost, Prince Froggy and Raphael stand out, as does the final showdown with Giga Baby Bowser.

Overall, not one of my favourite platformers, but that's mostly due to just not being overly fond of how li'l Yoshi controls sadly.  I love the world they built around him, even if I can't remember much of it.  Just a shame it all went to hell in a handcart from then on.

You know that internally the flowers are named DRAGON_COIN?
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island   Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island EmptyFri 18 Apr 2014 - 11:01

Yeah, I love's me Yoshi's Island; especially given that its 2 sequels are dull. I only ever borrowed the SNES version, and that was about 15 years ago now; next week's VC release can't come soon enough.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island   Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island EmptyFri 18 Apr 2014 - 11:04

Luigi442wii wrote:

Would have been better had the similarity been more than internal.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Luigi442wii
Floppy and Salty

PostSubject: Re: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island   Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island EmptyFri 18 Apr 2014 - 14:29

Balladeer wrote:
Luigi442wii wrote:

Would have been better had the similarity been more than internal.
And also, the Dragon Coin object IS stored somewhere, just Unused.
So it could be replaced in the game files, but I don't know anything about SNES hacking, only some aspects of MKDS hacking.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island   Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island EmptySun 20 Apr 2014 - 10:25

The original Yoshi's Island is an ace game, almost untouchably good. Yoshi's Island DS tried to add to the template and ended up taking away from it. I've not played Yoshi's New Island.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island   Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island Empty

Back to top Go down

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Page 1 of 1