Nintendo in encouraging Emio-lation shocker

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Great licensed platformers

Go down 
+5
Jimbob
Balladeer
The_Jaster
masofdas
Admin
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

Great licensed platformers - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great licensed platformers   Great licensed platformers - Page 2 EmptySat 17 Jan 2015 - 9:42

Balladeer wrote:
I read that exchange after looking at the Rumour Buffet thread, and, well, my mind went in what is almost certainly the wrong direction...

Laughing

@mas: It's such a shame. I put the "death" of platformers down to 3D too, as the complications of a move into 3D triple the cost and the development time, and it often dissolves the purity and simplicity of the experience. There are tons of examples where 3D platforming is great, but for me, 2D platforming was a great vehicle for a license when done properly.
Back to top Go down
http://messedupcables.forumotion.net
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Great licensed platformers   Great licensed platformers - Page 2 EmptySat 17 Jan 2015 - 10:03

Also back in 8 & 16 Bit nothing seemed to have to be rushed to come out with the movie unlike after those eras, you'd of thought they learned from E.T. but everything is & was make sure it's out same time as the film. Also I thinking gaming pre-PS1 wasn't as mainstream and gamers didn't care that Lion King didn't come out with the movie but during PS1 where nearly every man & his dog had one they wanted to play Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone after seeing the film.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Great licensed platformers   Great licensed platformers - Page 2 EmptySat 17 Jan 2015 - 10:17

I dunno, we had some pretty shonky movie games on NES. Jaws, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future and Who Framed Roger Rabbit spring to mind here.
Back to top Go down
http://messedupcables.forumotion.net
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Great licensed platformers   Great licensed platformers - Page 2 EmptySat 17 Jan 2015 - 10:19

But was that due to the NES's popularity though.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Great licensed platformers   Great licensed platformers - Page 2 EmptySun 25 Jan 2015 - 12:15

I'd say that the Mega Drive has the monopoly on this. Toy Story, Castle of Illusion, The Lion King, Animaniacs, Mickey Mania and Aladdin are all ace (though Animanics and Mickey Mania are mince on the SNES, for a few reasons). I'm another who quite likes Cool Spot. Quackshot is pretty good as well. Taz: Escape from Mars is one I've got similarly fond memories of. The Smurfs is all right too. Ditto Krusty's Super Fun House.

There's more great licensed platformers on the Mega Drive than there isn't, basically.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Great licensed platformers   Great licensed platformers - Page 2 EmptySun 25 Jan 2015 - 13:58

Not so much a platformer but I'm not sure where it falls, I remember the Home Alone game being quite good, probably the first example there might have been of item combining in games.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Great licensed platformers   Great licensed platformers - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Great licensed platformers
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2