Nintendo in encouraging Emio-lation shocker

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels)

Go down 
+8
Buskalilly
Muss
The_Jaster
fronkhead
The Cappuccino Kid
gjones
JayMoyles
Balladeer
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels) Empty
PostSubject: It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels)   It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels) EmptyWed 1 Jul 2015 - 18:42

Sod this weather. Absolutely bloody repulsive. I don't know how the Australians deal with it reaching 40ºC-odd in their summers - it's at 35ºC and I want to stick my head in a freezer and stay there.

Er, right, so the lava level is much maligned in video games, but what have been your favourite lava levels and musics and enemies and so on?

I'll start with one of each:
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels)   It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels) EmptyWed 1 Jul 2015 - 18:54

NOT THIS PLACE, THAT'S FOR SURE.

It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels) Gm8e01-33

I'm actually struggling to think of lava levels I enjoyed - usually a low point in games, for me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels)   It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels) EmptyWed 1 Jul 2015 - 19:44

This, just for the sheer insanity of the interior designer's decision to install a lava room with fire-breathing dragon structures. Inside a castle. Probably the same guy who did Bowser's.

It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels) Maxresdefault
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels)   It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels) EmptyWed 1 Jul 2015 - 21:14

Lava Reef Zone in Sonic & Knuckles is beast, and not just because of the tune. Earthworm Jim's 'What The Heck?' level is really good too. Can't not mention Lethal Lava Land in Super Mario 64, and the volcano course in Pokémon Snap is perhaps the best in the whole game.

Lava levels are good, unlike shitey Desert levels.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels)   It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels) EmptyWed 1 Jul 2015 - 22:16

I thought about Lethal Lava Land. While it gets points for the volcano, the rest of the level lacked the care of many of SM64's others. It felt a bit, "Here's a bunch of level furniture, let's use a random number generator to place it on a field of fire."

Good shout on Snap's volcano, mind. And a bad (i.e. correct) shout on Magmoor Caverns - load of tripe.
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels)   It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels) EmptyThu 2 Jul 2015 - 0:35

The only thing I want to see in this weather is ice levels!!! *shakes fist*

I quite liked Magmoor Caverns, mainly because of the variety it offers (lots of small segmented spaces interspersed with bigger rooms in both directions) but those flying jetpack space pirates irritated me to no end.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels)   It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels) EmptyThu 2 Jul 2015 - 7:38

Hmm I thought we had a thread similar to this before but after a search it appears we don't so....

It might be obvious from what game I've returned to recently but it's the Mole Knight stage in Shovel Knight, it just put's a great twist on it with the bouncy slime mechanic also the music like it is in the rest of the game is quality!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2-1OWLCGMQ

Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels)   It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels) EmptyThu 2 Jul 2015 - 12:52

Not exactly a level, but I enjoyed the 'Hell' chapter of Super Meat Boy plenty.

Then again, the only world I wasn't a massive fan of in that game was Rapture
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels)   It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels) EmptyThu 2 Jul 2015 - 16:27

It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels) Mgs_405_sm

So technically the blast furnace in metal gear solid is molten steel but that's basically lava. I liked the terminator 2-esque aesthetic and the idea of backtracking to hear the Pal key was pretty clever.

I'm sure I'll think of a better one later.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
flora-chan
Wii U Port
flora-chan

PostSubject: Re: It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels)   It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels) EmptyThu 2 Jul 2015 - 16:28

Thumbs Up!

Even got a scottish voice Winky Face
Back to top Go down
euan707
Philips CD-i Title
euan707

PostSubject: Re: It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels)   It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels) EmptyThu 2 Jul 2015 - 20:47

How could we not mention,

Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels)   It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels) EmptyThu 2 Jul 2015 - 20:52

flora-chan wrote:

Thumbs Up!

Even got a scottish voice Winky Face

Someone must pay for that pitiful attempt at a Scottish accent. Near Mike Myers level, that. Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels)   It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels) EmptyThu 2 Jul 2015 - 21:08

euan707 wrote:
How could we not mention,

[youtube]

Boo Boo Boo Anything but that!
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels)   It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels) EmptyFri 3 Jul 2015 - 12:23

The hate/dislike for Grumble volcano continues to baffle me.
Back to top Go down
euan707
Philips CD-i Title
euan707

PostSubject: Re: It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels)   It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels) EmptyFri 3 Jul 2015 - 14:05

How can anyone dislike a track that is so broken it can be finished in under 30 seconds?
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels)   It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels) EmptyFri 3 Jul 2015 - 14:31

Grey/brown, brown/grey, unremarkable racing line, unremarkable music, utter waste of a remake slot in MK8, and did I mention that it's the ugliest Mario Kart track since they scrapped the planned "Thatcher's Stadium"?  

Actually, the best lava racing course I can think of doesn't come from a Mario Kart:

It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels) Hqdefault

Although seeing Euan's current ranking reminds me that actually, the worst lava level will be this planet in the year 3000. Sad
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels)   It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels) EmptyFri 3 Jul 2015 - 16:18

I don't think some one who said this can be trusted.  Razz  

Balla in the MK8 topic wrote:
I like what they did with the Mario Circuits, although they're not Toad's Turnpike levels of brilliant. But then, few things are.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels)   It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels) EmptyFri 3 Jul 2015 - 16:34

Alright, alright, I got a bit too excited about zero-g walls and cars with surfboards. A man's allowed his overenthusiasm! Embarrassed

I'm still wrong here, mind. After posting a picture of good ol' Hot Top, I remembered this:

It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels) Latest?cb=20071107083023

Also, here's some nice volcanic music (slight cheat because the lava's only found later on, but there's plenty of ash). I can't remember while at work whether the RSE or ORAS remix is better.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels)   It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels) EmptyFri 3 Jul 2015 - 17:34

Predictably, Nintendo zealot Zero goes for Mario. I don't know... Rolling Eyes

1) The Hand Trap levels in Super Mario Bros. 3's World 8. Y'know, these:

It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels) Super_Mario_All_Stars_3_42

Three little possibly optional, possibly forced lava levels to provide a lull between Bowser's tanks, ships and airships. Such an odd-but-welcome-at-the-time design choice.

2) Freezeflame Galaxy from Super Mario Galaxy. The debate of whether this is a true lava level can rage - I just love the mash-up of two of platforming's biggest clichés.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels)   It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels) EmptySat 4 Jul 2015 - 16:06

ZeroJones wrote:
1) The Hand Trap levels in Super Mario Bros. 3's World 8. Y'know, these:

It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels) Super_Mario_All_Stars_3_42

Ah neat! Good thinking - this is the least worst lava level.
Srs, I struggled to think of something to contribute to this as I think I hate lava levels as much as water levels.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels)   It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels) Empty

Back to top Go down

It's Too Bloody Hot (Lava Levels)
Page 1 of 1