Nintendo in encouraging Emio-lation shocker

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tired Old Hack

Go down 
+10
gjones
The_Jaster
JayMoyles
fronkhead
Buskalilly
masofdas
Jimbob
Dead Lemon
Balladeer
ZeroJones
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

Tired Old Hack - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 2 EmptySun 5 Apr 2015 - 13:03

mas wrote:
he isn't saying it's pish, he's saying people that go play it now don't get the fuss.

That's the impression I got as well, it's definitely a cult classic but it might be tough for players who are coming to it fresh to understand why folk clamour for a third because they will have to play it with all the (for lack of a better word) hype that surrounds .
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 2 EmptyTue 7 Apr 2015 - 10:43

I may have misunderstood him, then.

Also, I've only just realised that there's a poster on his site called "D. Edd Le'Mon". Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 2 EmptyTue 7 Apr 2015 - 10:54

Yeah I think you might of especially with There’s a bloody reason for that. I can he's passionate about it, and would only think he wants a 3rd and said to someone about it they've gone and played it and gone I don't get it was so special about it.

Like giving a kid today a beetles album they'll be like yeah, it's okay but I sooner listen to insert whatever kids now listen to.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 2 EmptyTue 2 Jun 2015 - 20:16

This is not Chris' latest article. But it is by far his most popular, in which he takes a preview to task for being self-aggrandising rubbish. It's good.

Shame about the #GG nonsense in the comments. Is there a Godwin's Law 2 now - the longer any site about videogames continues, the more like it will have to cover that decaying corpse at some point?
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 2 EmptyWed 3 Jun 2015 - 12:34

Good read that. I can't believe how utterly flippant that Polygon article was, and I'm glad somebody with a voice in the industry took it to task.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 2 EmptyWed 3 Jun 2015 - 13:46

masofdas wrote:
The game certainly isn't pish now by any stretch of the imagine , but like he says about the Beatles is correct there is other games that do the same now as Shenmue like Yakuza and Yakuza might do that better now then a game from 1999-2001.

But it still does stuff that GTA doesn't even do like being able to go in to almost every building.

And he isn't saying it's pish, he's saying people that go play it now don't get the fuss of why people like me want a 3rd just to finish the story.

Shenmue (the first one) remains my favourite game, and it's more for reasons that aren't game-related. I'm the first to admit that it is clunky to move Ryo and the combat plays out like some sluggish variation on the Virtua Fighter 3 engine. The reason I remember it so well and still get goosebumps playing it is the world itself. It has so much soul. The music is incredible. The mix of 80s industrial Japan with the rural, traditional values felt like an approachable way in to the mystical and foreign lands of the Japanese - I've been fascinated by Japan ever since, and went to Japan in 2006 BECAUSE of Shenmue.

You had so much freedom. You could spend all day pranking people in the telephone box, playing drunken darts or trying to win the raffle at the local shop. It was like living another person's childhood, albeit one of a tough, emotionless 18-year old Japanese lad.

Admittedly, the game won't be as easy to digest in 2015 because gamers no longer have patience. The loading times are long, the pace is slow and it is rather restrictive (in bed by 11pm, 500yen a day pocket money etc.). But it is the only game I have played that has struck an emotional chord that others don't get near.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 2 EmptyFri 12 Jun 2015 - 22:37

I've been reading the E3 scripts, it's Laughing
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 2 EmptySat 13 Jun 2015 - 8:53

Inevitably I only read the Nintendo one - nice parody. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 2 EmptySat 13 Jun 2015 - 8:56

There all so funny and true like MS one they drop the price 4 times during the conference.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 2 EmptySat 13 Jun 2015 - 9:30

I did read all of them, but my favourite bits were Iwata secretly being Glaswegian, and:

Tired Old Hack - Page 2 Kojima-in-smash
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 2 EmptyMon 15 Jun 2015 - 9:25

Well the good thing about that polygon article is that I no longer feel like I'm too self - indulgent with what I write.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 2 EmptyFri 31 Jul 2015 - 20:16

Oh boy. I really like Chris, but I think he's made a big wrong turning here.

Chris writes for Vice now. Good for him, man's got a job - he deserves it. Read one of his articles too, about everyone being a gamer, from the hardcore WoW players to people mucking about with Angry Birds on their commute. Of course you got entitled gits rising up in anger, because this is the Internet and a lot of gamers still think that "gamer" is a special title that should only be applied to those ho have 100%-ed Ikaruga like themselves... Of course you did.

Chris reacted. He makes a lot of good points. But I'm worried that it, and his reaction to the ensuing Twitter meltdown, paint him as a target. Someone who, as much as he says he has a thick skin, takes offence. Reacts. Reminds me of being that kid in the playground, who was bullied because he'd cry about it rather than shrug it off.

It sucks. Chris is a great guy, and I want to read what he writes about games. But the Internet is the way it is, and reacting vociferously on Twitter seems to me to be the wrong way about it.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 2 EmptyFri 31 Jul 2015 - 22:45

Edit: meh. Doesn't deserve the coverage.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 2 EmptySun 28 Feb 2016 - 0:04

Our man Chris gives us his list of the 30 best Wii games.

Left without comment. Winky Face
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 2 EmptySat 13 Aug 2016 - 14:01

Now for the 30 best Vita games.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 2 EmptySat 13 Aug 2016 - 19:45

Which I've read and it's one of the oddest best of VITA lists, I've seen with likes of Persona 4 Golden missing (Yeah I know it's addressed at the start).
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 2 EmptySat 13 Aug 2016 - 20:31

You wouldn't want everyone writing the same list though
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 2 EmptySat 13 Aug 2016 - 20:49

Little bit heavy on weaker versions of games for my liking, but if he enjoyed them fair enough. Odd focus on 2d fighters that I didn't expect from Scully. I enjoyed MK on vita but can't say i was up for trying any more.
Back to top Go down
Chris Scullion
Ejected into the Lava
Chris Scullion

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 2 EmptySat 13 Aug 2016 - 23:52

Crumpy Andy wrote:
Little bit heavy on weaker versions of games for my liking, but if he enjoyed them fair enough. Odd focus on 2d fighters that I didn't expect from Scully. I enjoyed MK on vita but can't say i was up for trying any more.
What can I say, I'm a jack of all trades.

Except JRPGs, it seems.
Back to top Go down
http://tiredoldhack.com
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 2 EmptySun 14 Aug 2016 - 0:20

I think the biggest loss is that Miku just missed the list, those games are top class! Good read though, I look forward to the next!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 2 EmptySun 14 Aug 2016 - 10:49

@Drunka of course

Yeah the list is good and nice to see one without JRPGS which is where the VITA shines, that for someone with a VITA and doesn't like the genre then your list Scully might be great for them.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 2 EmptyMon 5 Sep 2016 - 8:55

Anyone who's writing for Gintendo probably ought to take some time to browse Scully's latest, and definitely most ambitious, work.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 2 EmptyMon 5 Sep 2016 - 16:51

I'm looking forward to poring over that, and the latest couple of Gintendo pieces, in my bath this evening.

EDIT: I went to read it on my phone, and upon seeing what it was and the format, decided on a new plan. I'm going to dig out the actual relevant issues and read the original print reviews with the annotations on my laptop.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 2 EmptyMon 5 Sep 2016 - 22:39

That was great - real insight and a good few pointers, some of which I try to do already, and some of which I will try to do from now on. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 2 EmptyFri 14 Oct 2016 - 20:30

The Wii U is now Tired Old Hack
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Tired Old Hack
Page 2 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GNamer Forum :: Gaming Miscellaneous :: GNamer Gaming News-
Jump to: