We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair

Go down 
+13
Marzy
Spiralcannon2-CW
fronkhead
Crumpy Andy
oldschool
Jimbob
Treesmurf
masofdas
The_Jaster
Balladeer
ZeroJones
JayMoyles
The Cappuccino Kid
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair   Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair - Page 3 EmptyMon 4 May 2015 - 8:38

A lot has been said to what I was going to say to you Jas to

It's easy to say that but I'd rather have a game that was engaging to play with clever/new ideas than have them cherry pick ones from a 17 year old game, as I said I think there's an element of being blinded by nostalgia at play here be it for ex Rare staff or wanting an older style 3d platformer.

People want this sort of platformer doesn't matter it might feel like a 17 year old game, Shovel Knight looks like it's 25+ years old and plays like one but with new elements as long as it's fundamentally a good game which Banjo was. It's been for big kickstarters all have that nostalgia factor.

I know they want to make the collectables meaningful as certain ones will unlock certain ability's to access new areas for instance.
Back to top Go down
oldschool
Bandana Waddle Dee
oldschool

PostSubject: Re: Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair   Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair - Page 3 EmptyMon 4 May 2015 - 9:02

I am pretty confidant that this game will be good, however, this isn't a nostalgia I am looking for and platformers in general don't appeal much. I hope it succeeds, but I doubt I will try it until it is cheaper, much later on.

If they do it right, Nintendo should hire them to remake/reimagine their old platformers from the N64. Winky Face
Back to top Go down
http://aspergamer.webs.com/apps/forums/
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair   Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair - Page 3 EmptyMon 4 May 2015 - 12:34

Jay wrote:
I'm surprised at you taking issue with nostalgia fuelling a game's development - Shovel Knight is quite plainly inspired by Mega Man and Castlevania, much like this is inspired by Banjo Kazooie. Granted, Shovel Knight was engaging to play, but I'm confident that PlayTonic will make Yooka-Laylee similarly engaging. I wouldn't have backed them otherwise. PlayTonic are flat-out stating that this is a spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie - elements from that game are going to be present, but I would be astonished if they didn't update the game for a modern audience. They know what they're doing.

Like I said I hope turns out to be good just sharing my fears and with SK it done a lot of new things for me and only ended up looking like a NES game but played very differently.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair   Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair - Page 3 EmptyMon 4 May 2015 - 15:38

Yeah, I see where you're coming from, but it would have been very easy to have similar fears looking at Shovel Knight in development, yet we all know that was a fantastic game in the end. I'm confident this will prove to be a fantastic game as well. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair   Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair - Page 3 EmptyMon 4 May 2015 - 16:21

The_Jaster, in the Shovel Knight thread, long before the game was released wrote:
Takes me back to the good old days. Smile

No consistency. Naughty
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair   Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair - Page 3 EmptyMon 4 May 2015 - 17:43

Also what did SK do new, I only played like 4 levels then lost my save but seemed to me just a really polished NES game with bits from lots of games put together in a nostalgia filled game.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair   Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair - Page 3 EmptyMon 4 May 2015 - 17:52

Nobody expected anything revolutionary from SK, much like most won't expect the same from Yooka-Laylee. Both are love letters to a certain age of gaming, but the question at hand here is whether or not these games are simply empty nostalgia trips. And that's not the case at all. It wasn't just a nostalgia-fuelled trip, but one of the most tightly designed platformers I've had the privilege of playing. The level design was on point, the art style was colourful and replete with a great cast of characters, the music (THE MUSIC) was so damn good, and it was just simply a blast to play. It took the template from Mega Man and classic Castlevania and refreshed it for a modern audience, making it faster paced and tightening the level design to perfection. I expect much the same from Yooka-Laylee.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair   Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair - Page 3 EmptyMon 4 May 2015 - 17:56

Hence the highly polished NES game from me and I reckon Yooka-Layee will be a highly polished N64 game.

But what's wrong with that, I'm happy with that as we all know the N64 is great.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair   Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair - Page 3 EmptyMon 4 May 2015 - 18:03

You've missed the point I'm making - it's not just a NES game. Yes, it uses an NES style aesthetic, but mechanically it's so much more than that. It's a modern 2D platformer wearing a NES skin.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair   Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair - Page 3 EmptyMon 4 May 2015 - 18:07

See from what I played it only remind me of Mega Man 2 along with other games & how it plays not how something like Rayman Legends plays.

Also I don't want Yooka-Laylee to play like can't think of a 3D platformer that's modern that I've played of the top of my head,  I want it to play like SM64,  Banjo etc.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair   Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair - Page 3 EmptyMon 4 May 2015 - 21:48

JayMoyles wrote:
Yeah, I see where you're coming from, but it would have been very easy to have similar fears looking at Shovel Knight in development, yet we all know that was a fantastic game in the end. I'm confident this will prove to be a fantastic game as well. Smile

Like I said (again) I hope so too but I just can't share the same excitement for it that everyone else seems to have because I have to see more of it before I fully make up my mind, my excitement levels didn't go through the roof for SK either until I seen a good chunk of it.

I doubt this is the case but it feels like I'm trying to pushed into being excited for it just because the majority on here are, I have my eye on it otherwise I wouldn't be in this thread very much but excited? Not yet.  

masofdas wrote:
Also what did SK do new, I only played like 4 levels then lost my save but seemed to me just a really polished NES game with bits from lots of games put together in a nostalgia filled game.

I think Jay has covered this pretty well but I will add that they flipped a lot of the classic world themes (lava/snow etc) on it's head with really clever/new ideas which is what I want Yooka-Laylee to do as well.

(side note: I don't just mean the world themes btw I'd like to see some genuine new ideas that haven't been seen before in a 3d platformer)

---

balla wrote:
No consistency Naughty

Jaster from the SK thread, what I actually said in the proper context wrote:

I'm with zero on this one, tbh apart from a handful of retail games here & there I'm honestly more excited for the e shop games (Same goes for ps3/psn stuff too) as I'm currently preferring the quick & fun experience.

Takes me back to the good old days. :Smile:

This is wasn't even about SK it was about downloadable games in general in how most are short/fun & that they remind me of how it was back on the NES/SNES etc. Thumbs Up!

Last edited by The_Jaster on Mon 4 May 2015 - 22:05; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Just spotted balla's post)
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair   Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair - Page 3 EmptyMon 4 May 2015 - 22:10

But NEW ideas doesn't mean the game will be good/better which brings me back to if it ain't broke.

And I've backed £55 (+ £10 postage) for a game to be like Banjo and that's why I given them my money.

You've given Zero money towards it, because you don't want a nostalgia filled game but I do.

If they came out with some stupid new ideas I wouldn't be backing.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair   Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair - Page 3 EmptyMon 4 May 2015 - 22:24

What's stopping you from going and playing Banjo & Kazooie if you want the exact same experience then? Seems like you could have saved yourself some money by doing that.

Also just because I haven't backed it doesn't mean I'm not entitled to an opinion on the game.

Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair   Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair - Page 3 EmptyMon 4 May 2015 - 22:41

Not really a N64 and Banjo is about the same price but I want a new platformer in that vain. That's like saying why play any Nintendo game when they've just made the same thing for 25 years (which they don't).

Like how people wanted a point & click adventure in the vain of day of the tentacle and they got it with broken age. Broken Age from what I played does nothing new in terms on how the game plays but new story etc.

Yooka-Laylee can do a similar thing and build on what was there like other sequels do.  

I'm not saying your not entitled to a opinion but I reckon a vast majority think like me on what the game should be like and what we want and why we backed it. Just looking on here that seems to be the case for Me, Balla, Zero and Jimbob (I don't if he's backed) that we want this style of game.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair   Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair - Page 3 EmptyMon 4 May 2015 - 22:58

I've not backed it because I'm a lazy sod and it's already way above any goal targets. If it was a close run thing I'd think about it. But I'm definitely getting it. Unless it turns out to be shit. Which I don't think it will be.

I accept I'm reading between the lines a little here (and probably if I read someone else writing what I'm about to, I'd think "dickhead") but I suspect Rare got wind of this, hence the half-hearted Conkey/Banjo/Battletoads push in the last couple of months, and also the very recent announcement that Rare's about to make the most fun thing in the whole universe; attempts to curry favour with them. Having said that, I guess if they were really worried they could just have had the original team make a game in that vein. So I'm probably talking out of my arse.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair   Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair - Page 3 EmptyTue 5 May 2015 - 10:28

Mas wrote:
Not really a N64 and Banjo is about the same price but I want a new platformer in that vain. That's like saying why play any Nintendo game when they've just made the same thing for 25 years (which they don't).

I may have assumed that you still owned it. (silly me)

Also it isn't like saying that at all, you said yourself that you wanted a game like Banjo and I merely asked why not go and play that specific game? (Which you've answered) The reason what I said isn't the same as your example above is Nintendo always innovate their games with fresh/clever ideas especially so with their long standing IPs and this is all I want to see in Yooka-Laylee, if they do this it doesn't automatically compromise or stop the game from having a B&K feel. (Like how Mario will always feel like Mario no matter what type of platformer he's in)

You have said "if it ain't broke" a few times but I'm not saying anything has to be fixed but rather add to it so it's the best it can be.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair   Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair - Page 3 EmptyTue 5 May 2015 - 10:36

It is as I was using it how the trolls of the internet use Nintendo, as why play Mario 3D World as it's the same as Mario 30 years okay. Which we know isn't true.

And I agree take the bases of B&K and build on it but that doesn't always mean it's going to be better, Sunshine is a good game but it's not better the Super Mario 64 for instance and what is balla always asking for Super Mario 64-2.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair   Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair - Page 3 EmptyTue 5 May 2015 - 10:45

I didn't feel that the omitted bit in that quote added anything, Jas, but fair enough if I misunderstood your original comment.

I just think that they're both coming from the same "retro revival" place, both presumably going to add things to the genre (like an orchestral soundtrack!!!! And I assume other stuff), and yet you seemed much more keen on SK at the time, is all.

But I seem to be repeating people, so here is Captain Falcon instead. Falcon Punch
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair   Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair - Page 3 EmptyTue 5 May 2015 - 10:56

mas wrote:
It is as I was using it how the trolls of the internet use Nintendo, as why play Mario 3D World as it's the same as Mario 30 years okay. Which we know isn't true.

I honestly don't get what point you were trying to make with that statement then as nothing I said resembled that anti-Nintendo sentiment.

Balladeer wrote:
I didn't feel that the omitted bit in that quote added anything, Jas, but fair enough if I misunderstood your original comment.

I just think that they're both coming from the same "retro revival" place, both presumably going to add things to the genre (like an orchestral soundtrack!!!!  And I assume other stuff), and yet you seemed much more keen on SK at the time, is all.  

But I seem to be repeating people, so here is Captain Falcon instead. Falcon Punch

No problem, I am OK with them coming from the same "retro revival" place as it shows they are proud of their roots I just hope they don't stick to those roots too closely. Falcon Punch

(That emote is a good way end a sentence. Falcon Punch )
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair   Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair - Page 3 EmptyTue 5 May 2015 - 11:03

It did to me and how I read you telling me to play Banjo.

I think were going to have to agree or disagree as I think we want slightly different things and what I've read and seen is what I want and why I've backed it and at the moment isn't what you want hence why you've not backed.

As I don't mind sequels but that still add eg Yoshi in SMG2 to innovated in someway but I don't want them to go to far from what is essentially Banjo 3 or you end up with the real Banjo 3 which is Nuts & Bolts.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair   Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair - Page 3 EmptyTue 5 May 2015 - 11:13

Then you completely missed my point and opinion of Yooka-Laylee. (so far)

Quote :
what I've read and seen is what I want and why I've backed it and at the moment isn't what you want hence why you've not backed.

That's also not why I didn't back it, I'm personally just not a fan of the whole kickstarter thing.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair   Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair - Page 3 EmptyTue 5 May 2015 - 11:22

I'm only reading what you put, if I interrupted it different to how you feel then sorry.

I like Kickstarter as it get games like a Yooka-Laylee made that publishers wouldn't touch and without it would you got to play Shovel Knight.

But I've said what I want and that's basically make Banjo 3 if they want to add new stuff that builds on that core game that possibly improves it. I'm all for that but I don't want them to go mad and make a Nuts & Bolts and ad lot's of crazy new things that doesn't make it the game I've backed or want.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair   Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair - Page 3 EmptyTue 5 May 2015 - 11:30

Nobody here even suggested they were going to do that - I've no idea where you pulled that Nuts and Bolts comparison from. You've seen the Kickstarter trailer, so there's no point in even suggesting that they're going to deviate heavily from their collect-a-thon platforming roots.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair   Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair - Page 3 EmptyTue 5 May 2015 - 11:34

I used it as example of bad new things and how not everything new is good or better.

I think the new thing is that the collectables matter from what we seen and how collecting certain ones unlock new ability's .
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair   Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair - Page 3 EmptyTue 5 May 2015 - 12:05

Nuts & Bolts > BK Winky Face
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair   Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Yooka-Laylee / Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair
Page 3 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GNamer Forum :: GNamer Forum :: Nintendo Switch-
Jump to: