We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

Go down 
+5
fronkhead
Admin
beemoh
Silver light
Crumpy Andy
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward Empty
PostSubject: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward   Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward EmptySat 26 Jan 2013 - 11:08

I'll post it in here because it'll probably get seen more. Anyone playing/played this? I just finished the Vita version last night and thought it was fantastic. Overall I thought it was much better than 999, the puzzles being challenging, varied and rather fun, the Ambidex game and a cast of good characters really shone through for me. The only niggles I really had were that I prefered the Anime style characters from 999, some of the blue passwords were incredibly obscure and that final puzzle room *shudders*. Over to you!
Back to top Go down
Silver light
Ing Warrior
Silver light

PostSubject: Re: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward   Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward EmptySat 26 Jan 2013 - 11:41

Damn it, i was just about to make this <_<

I'm not sure if it was better than VLR, overall. VLR had puzzles that actually weren't easy, and the flowchart. But imo the cast isn't actually as good as 999's and the plot is too busy for it's own good. Not to mention just ridiclous at a couple points. Also wish they'd stuck with the art rather than going with the 3D models instead.

Still, i'm most feverishly speculating just how ZE III will wrap everything up. It's gonna be a looooong wait....although, Uchikoshi keeps dropping stuff on his twitter about it. Spoiler's got a list of stuff he's said which was compiled by guys over on gamefaqs. Should note that, ya'know, it's series spoilers.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Silver light on Wed 30 Jan 2013 - 0:44; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward   Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward EmptySat 26 Jan 2013 - 13:53

Just started the last night, having not played 999. Enjoying it so far, but I've not really got far enough to make any intelligent comments.

So really, this post is a bit pointless. Sorry for wasting your time, folks.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward   Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward EmptySat 26 Jan 2013 - 18:11

I really enjoyed 999, but I haven't found time to start Virtue's Last Reward yet. The hardest decision was deciding which version to buy, thiugh I eventually went for 3DS.

I also apologise for wasting everyone's valuable time.
Back to top Go down
http://messedupcables.forumotion.net
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward   Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward EmptySat 26 Jan 2013 - 19:20

I finished Virtue's Last Reward before the new year rolled over - it's pretty good.

I don't think it's a match for 999, though. It's a better game, yes - puzzles are more varied and complex, the flowchart system allows for less replaying - but it's an inferior experience as a Visual Novel.

The existence of the flowchart itself means your decisions rarely carry any weight to them, since you can easily (at no cost) choose the other path soon after. Without spoiling anything, the story was convoluted and became silly at its conclusion - though still as expertly put together as the one in 999.

Oh, and using the Prisoner's Dilemna and Game Theory was too complex a situation (and too random a situation) to make the player really think about what will be happening around them, and in different branched paths. 999's digital root + fixed numbered bracelets worked far better, and the lower number of branching paths in 999 made it incredibly easy to think through the potential paths and choices you could go through (and which the game wouldn't make obvious to you, like VLR does).

That being said, Virtue's Last Reward is still a great visual novel/puzzler, and I definitely recommend it (though play 999 first, if you can, as a lot of VLR's story's revelations link back to that game).
Back to top Go down
Silver light
Ing Warrior
Silver light

PostSubject: Re: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward   Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward EmptyWed 30 Jan 2013 - 0:53

Noted a couple of new bits of info, which i've added to the list of stuff from Uchikoshi's tweets. Also, sounds like the "answers" section for VLR's done and is being translated now. Hopefully that means they'll be up for viewing soon. Expecting more ZE III story/setting/cast hints to be dropped.
Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward   Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward EmptyThu 31 Jan 2013 - 21:52

sporkhead wrote:
Oh, and using the Prisoner's Dilemna and Game Theory was too complex a situation (and too random a situation) to make the player really think about what will be happening around them, and in different branched paths. 999's digital root + fixed numbered bracelets worked far better, and the lower number of branching paths in 999 made it incredibly easy to think through the potential paths and choices you could go through (and which the game wouldn't make obvious to you, like VLR does).

The mistake they made with the flowchart was making it all visible from the off- it should only have unlocked when you get your first ending and still only showed you the decisions you'd passed through.

That being said, going for that second ending was cool...

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward   Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward EmptyThu 31 Jan 2013 - 22:13

Seeing the flowchart really didn't bother me, knowing how many possible outcomes there were based on my choices was pretty exciting to me.
Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward   Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward EmptyThu 7 Feb 2013 - 20:08

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Silver light
Ing Warrior
Silver light

PostSubject: Re: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward   Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward EmptyThu 7 Feb 2013 - 20:19

beemoh wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Silver light
Ing Warrior
Silver light

PostSubject: Re: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward   Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward EmptyWed 13 Feb 2013 - 14:16

Guys, we have answers!

http://virtueslastreward.com/qahome/

As to be expected though, LOTS AND LOTS OF SPOILERS. Quite an interesting read though. Why must ZE III be so far away ;~;
Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward   Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward EmptyThu 14 Feb 2013 - 20:57

Sigma! This is no time to be thinking about confectionery!

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward Virtueslastreward
Back to top Go down
Axis1500
Vote Thread
Axis1500

PostSubject: Re: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward   Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward EmptyThu 21 Mar 2013 - 1:37

Just completed this.
Not quite as good as 999. But I still loved it. I just wish I could have experienced the apparently amazing English voice acting.

Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward   Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward EmptySat 23 Mar 2013 - 20:45

I grew to love the Japanese voice cast an hour in, as characters were voiced by some pretty big name voice actors like Phi being voiced by Chiaki Omigawa <3
Back to top Go down
Silver light
Ing Warrior
Silver light

PostSubject: Re: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward   Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward EmptySat 23 Mar 2013 - 21:25

I actually ended up importing the NA release because i just couldn't stand the Jap dub. But that's more a personal can't stand jap dubs issue than it actually being bad or anything.

Still, at least they could have given us the option of turning the voices off....
Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward   Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward EmptySat 23 Mar 2013 - 21:35

Silver light wrote:
I actually ended up importing the NA release because i just couldn't stand the Jap dub. But that's more a personal can't stand jap dubs issue than it actually being bad or anything.

Still, at least they could have given us the option of turning the voices off....

You could turn the volume down.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward   Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward EmptySat 23 Mar 2013 - 21:40

That's what I was going to say and that's what I did Laughing
Back to top Go down
Silver light
Ing Warrior
Silver light

PostSubject: Re: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward   Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward EmptySat 23 Mar 2013 - 22:18

And then miss out on that OST? Yeah, no. I did actually try so, but it just ended up killing the mood for me completely. So i got importing xD
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward   Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward EmptySun 24 Mar 2013 - 1:45

andyman949 wrote:
That's what I was going to say and that's what I did Laughing

*Shakes head*. Poor Phi
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward   Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward EmptyTue 11 Feb 2014 - 6:34

This has been on my wish list since I played the demo, but now that it's only £9.99 on the eShop I'm more tempted to take the plunge. Thing is, I haven't played 999 - I know I'll enjoy VLR more if I play 999 first, but how much more?
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward   Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward EmptyTue 11 Feb 2014 - 8:38

I honestly couldn't imagine playing it without 999. There's a hell of a lot of overlap (particularly when trying to make sense of it all at the end). I'd recommend tracking down a copy of 999 though regardless.
Back to top Go down
Axis1500
Vote Thread
Axis1500

PostSubject: Re: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward   Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward EmptyWed 12 Feb 2014 - 2:20

Rum Rapture wrote:
This has been on my wish list since I played the demo, but now that it's only £9.99 on the eShop I'm more tempted to take the plunge. Thing is, I haven't played 999 - I know I'll enjoy VLR more if I play 999 first, but how much more?

A hell of a lot more. Playing VLR before 999 is like watching Back To The Future Part 2 first.

Not only will VLR ruin certain aspects of the awesome experience that is 999, you will also not appreciate the meaning of certain plot developments or references.
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward   Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward EmptyWed 12 Feb 2014 - 12:49

What Axis said. And 999 is the better game, too, thanks to its different mechanics.
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward   Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward EmptyWed 12 Feb 2014 - 16:12

I suspected as much. I might download VLR while it's cheap and keep an eye out for 999, then. Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward   Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward EmptyThu 13 Feb 2014 - 17:20

So- and lip service to Axis for some well-timed retweeting- it looks like we're a long, long way away from the third game.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward   Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward Empty

Back to top Go down

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next