We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Gaming Resolutions

Go down 
+12
The_Jaster
Athrun888
JayMoyles
Muss
Buskalilly
The Cappuccino Kid
NintenDUCK
masofdas
ZeroJones
Balladeer
Crumpy Andy
gjones
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

Gaming Resolutions Empty
PostSubject: Gaming Resolutions   Gaming Resolutions EmptyMon 19 Dec 2016 - 11:47

I don't know if this is a thing, but let's make it one.

What gaming resolutions do you have for 2017? Are you aiming to buy a Switch? Picking up a PS4 or Xbox One? Any big games coming out that you're looking forward to? Got a large backlog you want to make dents in?

For me, I'm not going to be picking up a Switch in 2017, not unless there's a dearth of PS4 releases and/or the Switch has a steady stream of games. Mine are as follows:

1. Pick up PS4 games that came out in 2014 and 2015 - games I missed.
2. Play through the Wii's first year of good games along with re-reading the NGamers.
3. Complete 10 games from the backlog.

What's your 2017 in gaming look like?
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

Gaming Resolutions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaming Resolutions   Gaming Resolutions EmptyMon 19 Dec 2016 - 11:53

My only plan is to buy less games, I've done pretty well over the last few months having held off on Titanfall, Dishonored and Watch Dogs - amongst other games I'm less excited for - but keeping it up will be another thing entirely, I've had the added advantage of being quite busy and having been away from home a lot lately, so I've no doubt my willpower will be tested.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

Gaming Resolutions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaming Resolutions   Gaming Resolutions EmptyMon 19 Dec 2016 - 12:21

My gaming 2017 looks like the Switch, which I am super-excited for now. Grin

As for gaming resolutions, I only have one: have fun! I've committed several gaming 'sins' this past year:
  • Not finishing games, but in some cases barely starting them. Too many impulse buys have gone virtually unplayed. Gurumin is particularly vulnerable to this: I was put off by the opening. DQVII likewise.
  • At the opposite end of the 'can't be bothered' spectrum, not buying games I wanted to support. SEVERED and Jotun spring to mind of late.
  • In a worse case of point 1, I've bought a PS3 and played all of two hours of games on it. Never a big retro gamer, my attempt to break out of the Nintendo bubble has met with a console that, even at a generation back, feels old and carries no nostalgia for me. I'm sure it doesn't help that the first, and to date only, PS3 game I've played is the Team Ico collection, which feels and is even older than that.

But games are pure fun for me. While I do want to give games a fair chance for me to enjoy them, I don't want to force myself to play something that I don't want to. That's not fun. Without wanting to sound like an arse (while recognising that that's probably impossible), I have enough disposable income to make the odd purchasing mistake, so long as that's not a launch-period console. So, in 2017, what I want to do is support good developers and play games that grab me and that I enjoy. Smile

...that said, I really do want to work through what I have on PS3. Keeping that in reserve for summer, when the Switch releases dry up. I hope they won't, but Nintendo's consoles have burned me before.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

Gaming Resolutions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaming Resolutions   Gaming Resolutions EmptyMon 19 Dec 2016 - 14:23

• To support third party games on the Switch, wherever possible
  • To get my number of incomplete Wii games down to single figures (two to go!)
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Gaming Resolutions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaming Resolutions   Gaming Resolutions EmptyMon 19 Dec 2016 - 14:56

Same as Andy, I buy to many games and rarely finish them that I do need to but maybe 3 games max a month for current gen, which will last like 2 months then the Switch come out in March and I buy it along 4 games at launch along with HZD on PS4 etc
Back to top Go down
NintenDUCK
Vote Thread
NintenDUCK

Gaming Resolutions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaming Resolutions   Gaming Resolutions EmptyMon 19 Dec 2016 - 18:35

My 2017 gaming resolution comes in two parts: January to Switch Launch day and Switch Launch to the end of the year.
January to Switch Launch day:

• Don't buy anything new
  • Finish all my 2016 games *stares ashamedly at dishonoured 2*
  • Don't go on steam when there's a sale on.

Switch Launch to the end of the year:

• Buy a Switch.
  • Buy some games for my new Switch.
  • Play them to completion.
  • Stare morosely at empty wallet.

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

Gaming Resolutions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaming Resolutions   Gaming Resolutions EmptyMon 19 Dec 2016 - 19:11

Duck has best gaming plan thus far, including mine. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

Gaming Resolutions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaming Resolutions   Gaming Resolutions EmptyMon 19 Dec 2016 - 21:22

Buy less games and trim the collection, definitely. I spent the day gutting my bedroom in my folk's house and I've just got so much shite. I'm coming to terms with finding out that I've got three copies of Drawn To Life: The Next Chapter, three copies because I'm a daft prick.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

Gaming Resolutions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaming Resolutions   Gaming Resolutions EmptyMon 19 Dec 2016 - 22:32

I haven't thought about gaming resolutions per se - though I've decided that if Mass Effect does end up coming to Switch, I will sell my XBox to get one if necessary - but one of my two main resolutions is to learn Japanese, which I can hopefully apply to games.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

Gaming Resolutions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaming Resolutions   Gaming Resolutions EmptyMon 19 Dec 2016 - 23:39

I'm pretty good with games to be honest. I buy about 2-3 games on release per year and, with the exception of Monster Hunter, have always made sure I got through them, or they're games that will last me a generation in a PES 2017. I stopped the mad splurging of cash on steam sales a few years ago after it became clear I was really interested in a lot of games, but didn't have the time to play any of them. My health's a bit dodgy at the moment, good ol Chron's Disease means I'm constantly exhausted while I'm on drugs - drugs which helpfully cause insomnia too, which I suppose inoculates me from buying more games on mass.

I suppose I'd just want to maintain the gaming hygiene as is really!

Drunkyboy:

I was making really good progress with the much easier language of Spanish using audio CD's that I'd practice every other night for 15 minutes or so. I've stopped now that I'm a bit ill but do want to pick it up again when I go part-time on the MA.

The Michelle Thomas method was what it was called, and it was great in the sense that you listen in on a teacher giving 2 students a lesson. It forces you to practice saying the words and understand listening to the language. There's also a volume of books I was working through called - Living Languages - which are a lot more tedious and slower, but should be really handy getting you some writing practice if you're interested in that.

I'd recommend them both, the former strongly. Neither will make you an expert, but the Spanish stuff would've will get me up to an intermediate level upon course completion - so for the purpose of games you'll make do. I'll bring down the CD's to give you a taste if I remember.
Back to top Go down
NintenDUCK
Vote Thread
NintenDUCK

Gaming Resolutions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaming Resolutions   Gaming Resolutions EmptyMon 19 Dec 2016 - 23:50

A friend of mine from university is learning Japanese, she goes to a class once a week that uses the Japanese From Zero series of textbooks. I've never used them myself but if it's working for my friend I guess it mught work for you too. http://yesjapan.com/
It's always important to hear the language though so CD's are a good shout.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

Gaming Resolutions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaming Resolutions   Gaming Resolutions EmptyMon 19 Dec 2016 - 23:58

I'm hoping for a nice CD/ books set for Christmas and my brother wants to learn too so I'll have at least one person to talk to.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

Gaming Resolutions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaming Resolutions   Gaming Resolutions EmptyTue 20 Dec 2016 - 0:03

NintenDUCK wrote:
My 2017 gaming resolution comes in two parts: January to Switch Launch day and Switch Launch to the end of the year.
January to Switch Launch day:

• Don't buy anything new
  • Finish all my 2016 games *stares ashamedly at dishonoured 2*
  • Don't go on steam when there's a sale on.

Switch Launch to the end of the year:

• Buy a Switch.
  • Buy some games for my new Switch.
  • Play them to completion.
  • Stare morosely at empty wallet.

This pretty much my gaming plan for the year too. There's nothing coming out in the first few months of the year that I can't hold off on - Horizon Zero Dawn will tempt me though - and I don't want anything to distract me too much from my Switch hype.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

Gaming Resolutions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaming Resolutions   Gaming Resolutions EmptyTue 20 Dec 2016 - 9:21

Continue buying what I feel like and playing what I feel like when I feel like it. Maximising my enjoyment of the hobby, that's my resolution.

Or, TLDR, continue what I'm already doing.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

Gaming Resolutions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaming Resolutions   Gaming Resolutions EmptyTue 20 Dec 2016 - 10:10

One thing I should do is probably tweet less about Rainbow six Siege but the game is just too damn fun. Smile Honestly never expected an FPS to grip me the way it has & it's getting another years worth of free content.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

Gaming Resolutions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaming Resolutions   Gaming Resolutions EmptyTue 20 Dec 2016 - 10:44

Drunkalilly wrote:
I haven't thought about gaming resolutions per se - though I've decided that if Mass Effect does end up coming to Switch, I will sell my XBox to get one if necessary - but one of my two main resolutions is to learn Japanese, which I can hopefully apply to games.

I did two years of evening classes in Japanese about ten years ago (forgotten a lot of it unfortunately). I recommend the Japanese for Busy People books - they were great. The language itself is easier than you'd think (using the romaji) but the hiragana, katakana and kanji is where it gets intense.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

Gaming Resolutions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaming Resolutions   Gaming Resolutions EmptyTue 20 Dec 2016 - 20:43

I've heard it's the reading and writing where it gets tricky. I think I'd want to learn fairly fluent spoken Japanese, then just learn to read from scratch like a child.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

Gaming Resolutions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaming Resolutions   Gaming Resolutions EmptyTue 19 Dec 2017 - 21:25

gjones wrote:
I don't know if this is a thing, but let's make it one.

What gaming resolutions do you have for 2017? Are you aiming to buy a Switch? Picking up a PS4 or Xbox One? Any big games coming out that you're looking forward to? Got a large backlog you want to make dents in?

For me, I'm not going to be picking up a Switch in 2017, not unless there's a dearth of PS4 releases and/or the Switch has a steady stream of games. Mine are as follows:

1. Pick up PS4 games that came out in 2014 and 2015 - games I missed.
2. Play through the Wii's first year of good games along with re-reading the NGamers.
3. Complete 10 games from the backlog.

What's your 2017 in gaming look like?

Just looking at this from last year. I did get some early PS4 games (Last of Us Remastered, Tomb Raider Definitive Edition, The Division, Metal Gear 5, Just Cause 3). Not completed any of them!

I did play through much of the first year of Wii but it was slim pickings to be honest. I beat Twilight Princess and beat Galaxy 1, gave Prime 3 a go but have yet to return and picked up quite a few Wii games from 2008 and 2009. I have stopped the NGamer threads as I've not been giving the time I wished to the Wii - quite frankly, the PS4 is much more alluring. Additionally, I can see 90% of the forum are Switch owners so it's unlikely you'd join me in revisiting shoddy Wii games.

Anyhoo, my gaming resolutions for 2018 are:

1. Don't buy ANY PS4 games. I have so many to get through and there'll undoubtedly be more thanks to PS Plus.
2. Beat a Zelda game.
3. Decide what my daughters' first console will be and get them in to Nintendo. They will turn 6 and 2 at the start of 2018 - I think it's time. Might set a thread up for this.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

Gaming Resolutions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaming Resolutions   Gaming Resolutions EmptyTue 19 Dec 2017 - 21:38

I want to say that I'll support you in your Wii endeavours, GJones, but I am the worst at retro in the whole forum and I don't want to make promises I won't keep.

Snowballadeer wrote:
...that said, I really do want to work through what I have on PS3.  Keeping that in reserve for summer, when the Switch releases dry up.  I hope they won't, but Nintendo's consoles have burned me before.

This is the closest I got to a resolution... but the damn things didn't dry up! I've simply not had time to play all the games I've wanted to play, between 3DS and Switch.

I think I'll hold off on making a resolution this year. Enjoying the Switch seems like a good one! (And possibly a good machine for your kids...)
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Gaming Resolutions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaming Resolutions   Gaming Resolutions EmptyTue 19 Dec 2017 - 21:44

I still buy to many games.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

Gaming Resolutions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaming Resolutions   Gaming Resolutions EmptyTue 19 Dec 2017 - 22:09

I'd revisit Wii games with you gjones! But I understand why you'd rather play Uncharted 4 than Job Island: Hard Working People...

As for me:

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
Buy less games and trim the collection, definitely. I spent the day gutting my bedroom in my folk's house and I've just got so much shite. I'm coming to terms with finding out that I've got three copies of Drawn To Life: The Next Chapter, three copies because I'm a daft prick.

I've definitely bought less games, much less for sure. I was operating on a system of 'one in, one out', but that was never an issue - I shifted more stuff than I bought.

Trimming the collection is what I did. I've probably put about 250 games into the local GAME and the local charity shops over the last twelve months. I actually stuck in a load of PSP stuff into Ayrshire Hospice last week, and some Wii U stuff into PDSA the week before (where they put it all in their front window, which was nice to see). I've got a box of GameCube stuff ready to go somewhere as well. I could take it to CEX, but I'd rather see the chairty shops get more for it than I would. I'll keep this going into 2018. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Gaming Resolutions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaming Resolutions   Gaming Resolutions EmptyTue 19 Dec 2017 - 22:13

GameCube game's you say?
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

Gaming Resolutions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaming Resolutions   Gaming Resolutions EmptyTue 19 Dec 2017 - 22:29

Snowballadeer wrote:
I want to say that I'll support you in your Wii endeavours, GJones, but I am the worst at retro in the whole forum and I don't want to make promises I won't keep.

Snowballadeer wrote:
...that said, I really do want to work through what I have on PS3.  Keeping that in reserve for summer, when the Switch releases dry up.  I hope they won't, but Nintendo's consoles have burned me before.

This is the closest I got to a resolution... but the damn things didn't dry up!  I've simply not had time to play all the games I've wanted to play, between 3DS and Switch.  

I think I'll hold off on making a resolution this year.  Enjoying the Switch seems like a good one!  (And possibly a good machine for your kids...)

I could get a Switch in the Summer but

a) It's expensive
b) They break things
c) I don't think I have the time to do two current-gen systems justice

I'm thinking that a Gamecube could be the way forward. They are sturdy, cheap little blocks with accessible controllers (my eldest struggles sometimes with the Wii remote on stuff like Mario or Warioware) and there's plenty of multiplayer titles that we could play together. The only downside is the discs could go missing and many of the best games are pricey. She enjoys Monkey Ball and Luigi's Mansion and I've always wanted to revisit the Cube properly.

Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

Gaming Resolutions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaming Resolutions   Gaming Resolutions EmptyTue 19 Dec 2017 - 22:31

So, I started working on my resolution to learn Japanese, and I've made a little progress. But also I mentioned it to my dad, and got to talking, and ended up quitting my job and leaving my flat and moving home and now I'm flying to Tokyo in like 41 days. So . . . I guess I did pretty well?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Gaming Resolutions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaming Resolutions   Gaming Resolutions EmptyWed 20 Dec 2017 - 11:45

@gJones thread might be good as I've got some ideas for first system but don't know the whole situation.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Gaming Resolutions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaming Resolutions   Gaming Resolutions Empty

Back to top Go down

Gaming Resolutions
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next