We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Your Five Most Influential Games (A TOH-Inspired Thread)

Go down 
+6
EofGizmo
masofdas
The Cappuccino Kid
Buskalilly
JayMoyles
Balladeer
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

Your Five Most Influential Games (A TOH-Inspired Thread) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Five Most Influential Games (A TOH-Inspired Thread)   Your Five Most Influential Games (A TOH-Inspired Thread) - Page 2 EmptySun 12 Feb 2017 - 21:52

Drunkalilly wrote:
Did a google image search for Battletoads Dark Queen and yep, I get it.
I know dude *high-five*

And then I realised that, had anyone else written that, I would have thought them to be an arsehole.

ZeroJones wrote:
It's also tainted my view of Battletoads forever. Grin / No

Sorry.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Your Five Most Influential Games (A TOH-Inspired Thread)   Your Five Most Influential Games (A TOH-Inspired Thread) - Page 2 EmptySun 12 Feb 2017 - 22:04

You're alright, boss. It was never terribly high in my estimation anyway (ruddy bike level DAMN YOU! ).
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Your Five Most Influential Games (A TOH-Inspired Thread)   Your Five Most Influential Games (A TOH-Inspired Thread) - Page 2 EmptySun 12 Feb 2017 - 22:51

I've always had a certain affection for the Battletoads just for the sheer brazenness of their Turtles rip-off.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Your Five Most Influential Games (A TOH-Inspired Thread)   Your Five Most Influential Games (A TOH-Inspired Thread) - Page 2 EmptySun 12 Feb 2017 - 22:58

There were a few 90's anthropomorphic animals, weren't there? I remember Biker Mice From Mars, as well...
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Your Five Most Influential Games (A TOH-Inspired Thread)   Your Five Most Influential Games (A TOH-Inspired Thread) - Page 2 EmptyMon 13 Feb 2017 - 6:14

ZeroJones wrote:
It's also tainted my view of Battletoads forever. Grin / No

Seconded. That said, I Google-Imaged it too, so I'm probably part of the problem.

I have been following, but will give detailed feedback on people's posts when I'm not putting off going into work.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Your Five Most Influential Games (A TOH-Inspired Thread)   Your Five Most Influential Games (A TOH-Inspired Thread) - Page 2 EmptyMon 13 Feb 2017 - 11:10

ZeroJones wrote:
There were a few 90's anthropomorphic animals, weren't there? I remember Biker Mice From Mars, as well...

Yeah, and Street Sharks and Extreme Dinosaurs and probably others. They were all vaguely cashing in on Turtles hype but to me the Battletoads seemed the most similar. I guess they were just a bit martial artsy and also green. Very Happy No :medusa: Tingle
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Your Five Most Influential Games (A TOH-Inspired Thread)   Your Five Most Influential Games (A TOH-Inspired Thread) - Page 2 EmptyMon 13 Feb 2017 - 20:24

And what the hell were Samurai Pizza Cats about? That's the one that got me, when it turned up on a Saturday morning. I mean, pizza...
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Your Five Most Influential Games (A TOH-Inspired Thread)   Your Five Most Influential Games (A TOH-Inspired Thread) - Page 2 EmptyMon 13 Feb 2017 - 21:20

Beatrice cat ate a slice of pizza once. We were not paying enough attention.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Your Five Most Influential Games (A TOH-Inspired Thread)   Your Five Most Influential Games (A TOH-Inspired Thread) - Page 2 EmptyMon 13 Feb 2017 - 21:34

Balladeer wrote:
I have been following, but will give detailed feedback on people's posts when I'm not putting off going into work.

Awww Beatrice cat is so adora- er, right. RIGHT.

First may I say that I appreciate Zero staying true to character and posting a French picture there. Thumbs Up! Also I can definitely see how LttP would have the same effect on the SNES generation that SM64/OoT did on mine. Nice to see the old AA making another appearance too, it's currently up with SM64 in GNamer's most influential titles!

And there's that there Jay being true to form. Grin Also I'm glad someone seemed to get a lot out of SSB3D that they wouldn't have got out of it otherwise: must admit I'm not a great fan of the game, both because it seemed cut-down to me, and it made several others here turn their noses up at SSBU, in my opinion one of the ten finest games to date. But I'm glad you got something out of a handheld version that you wouldn't have done out of a home console one.

Jimbob knows where it's at. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Your Five Most Influential Games (A TOH-Inspired Thread)   Your Five Most Influential Games (A TOH-Inspired Thread) - Page 2 EmptyTue 14 Feb 2017 - 20:49

Balladeer wrote:
Ooh! Grin I look forward to it!  (I'm still expecting at least one From game, mind.)

I'd love to say something about GJones' epic post, but the only one I've played was GoldenEye and little me couldn't aim a gun (bigger me still can't) so I didn't like it much.  Grand stories though, sir. Thumbs Up!

Cheers! Great thread btw. I came close to including Mario 64 because while I didn't really play it at the time, I played through it in 2012 and it sucked me straight back to 1998. Out of all the N64 games I've played, it felt the most N64-y. I always think of the water levels in that game (partly because of the phenomenal music) and I instantly yearn for those early days of secondary school. That game is pure magic.

I'm starting to think I'm closest in gaming tastes to Cappa - Crazy Taxi and Super Monkey Ball are two favourites of mine that I played with my daughter last year - safe to say that they are both perfect for young children. Quickfire bursts of enjoyable, twitchy gameplay and garish SEGA colours. Both stone cold classics. I love Wii Sports but it again was around when I had moved on to 360 and the Wii was largely off of my radar. I remember playing Kirby's Dream Land on the Gameboy when I was about 10 but I only owned 3 GameBoy games - Donkey Kong, Link's Awakening and Pokemon Blue. Kirby never clicked with me to the extent I'd go out and buy it.

Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Your Five Most Influential Games (A TOH-Inspired Thread)   Your Five Most Influential Games (A TOH-Inspired Thread) - Page 2 EmptyTue 14 Feb 2017 - 21:19

Balladeer wrote:
I appreciate Zero staying true to character and posting a French picture there. Thumbs Up! Also I can definitely see how LttP would have the same effect on the SNES generation that SM64/OoT did on mine.  Nice to see the old AA making another appearance too, it's currently up with SM64 in GNamer's most influential titles!

Il n'y a pas de quoi. :clind'oeil: I find myself saying French more and more often these days and I'm not sure why. One day. LttP was the biggest leap that I experienced early enough to make an impression, as you're rightly saying: SMW felt like a natural extension of SMB3 (which had done the heavy lifting of really expanding on the ideas of the first two SMB games), but starting from Zeldas I and II and arriving at LttP was nothing short of revolutionary. The rich colours, comparatively and relatively detailed storyline (even if it was delivered by a series of identikit plot coupons) and astonishing number of new and fun items just edged out the game's predecessors for quality (LOL j/k smashed it mate).

As for AA, I don't think I mentioned this, but I bought it in a 2 for £whateveritwas offer in HMV when I really wanted Super Mario 64 DS. It was the makeweight, essentially because I didn't really want Project Rub. Embarrassed From the end of the first case I was hooked on AA and SM64DS took its place on the sidelines. It started me down a road of trying more genres to see if I'd like 'em: it's conceivable that I'd never have played Resident Evil 4 if I'd never played AA, and RE4 is one of the best games of all time.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Your Five Most Influential Games (A TOH-Inspired Thread)   Your Five Most Influential Games (A TOH-Inspired Thread) - Page 2 EmptyTue 14 Feb 2017 - 21:33

Balladeer wrote:

And there's that there Jay being true to form. Grin Also I'm glad someone seemed to get a lot out of SSB3D that they wouldn't have got out of it otherwise: must admit I'm not a great fan of the game, both because it seemed cut-down to me, and it made several others here turn their noses up at SSBU, in my opinion one of the ten finest games to date.  But I'm glad you got something out of a handheld version that you wouldn't have done out of a home console one.

If anything, it's got me so excited about playing the inevitable SSB for Switch port we're meant to be getting - it'll feel a lot fresher to me than if I'd played SSBU, as I'll have new modes, more music, more stages and shinier graphics on top of a game I already bloody adore. Happy days! Grin

ZeroJones wrote:

As for AA, I don't think I mentioned this, but I bought it in a 2 for £whateveritwas offer in HMV when I really wanted Super Mario 64 DS. It was the makeweight, essentially because I didn't really want Project Rub. Embarrassed From the end of the first case I was hooked on AA and SM64DS took its place on the sidelines. It started me down a road of trying more genres to see if I'd like 'em: it's conceivable that I'd never have played Resident Evil 4 if I'd never played AA, and RE4 is one of the best games of all time.

That happened to me with Mass Effect - it's a real treat when you end up enjoying a game that you weren't too fussed about buying in the first place.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Your Five Most Influential Games (A TOH-Inspired Thread)   Your Five Most Influential Games (A TOH-Inspired Thread) - Page 2 EmptyTue 14 Feb 2017 - 21:44

ZeroJones wrote:
It started me down a road of trying more genres to see if I'd like 'em: it's conceivable that I'd never have played Resident Evil 4 if I'd never played AA, and RE4 is one of the best games of all time.

That's a grand thing to do, undoubtedly... I tried Resi 4, got slaughtered quickly by villagers (dat lack of aiming skill again), and never gave it a second chance. Neutral
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Your Five Most Influential Games (A TOH-Inspired Thread)   Your Five Most Influential Games (A TOH-Inspired Thread) - Page 2 EmptyTue 14 Feb 2017 - 21:47

ReMake would have been better for you Balla, as aiming is piss easy and I reckon you would like the puzzles.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Your Five Most Influential Games (A TOH-Inspired Thread)   Your Five Most Influential Games (A TOH-Inspired Thread) - Page 2 EmptyTue 14 Feb 2017 - 21:50

Also also, GJones isn't wrong about that water music.  I don't reckon it's been bettered in games for peaceful tunes.  

Here it is again.  Aah, lovely. Smile

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your Five Most Influential Games (A TOH-Inspired Thread)   Your Five Most Influential Games (A TOH-Inspired Thread) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Your Five Most Influential Games (A TOH-Inspired Thread)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2