We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0

Go down 
+9
Athrun888
Jimbob
The_Jaster
The Cappuccino Kid
masofdas
JayMoyles
Buskalilly
ZeroJones
Balladeer
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 29 ... 39  Next
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 20 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 20 EmptySat 8 Aug 2020 - 9:32

Replies:

I'll feed back on others' Day 8 picks later, but for now:

I think this is my favourite Splatune.  It's competing with Calamari Inkantation (which is free for somebody else to pick, natch) and... well, itself.  I really like the melody of this and the bit around 0:45 where the accompaniment steps up.  I still don't like the Inkling voices much, but I prefer lyrics I can't understand to bad lyrics!

I've played a little bit of each Splatoon, so neither qualifies for Day 26 sadly.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 20 EmptySat 8 Aug 2020 - 12:58

Right let's catch up

Thoughts on the ones yesterday and today:

Day 7: Indie game

This piece from Hollow Knight is wonderful. There's some intense battles, areas of dread and plenty of intrigue in Hollow Knight, but this track captures that sadness that runs throughout the world.

Day 8: Shooter

Playing Perfect Dark Zero at the moment, and while the game itself is mostly boring, this track caught me off guard. I'm sure it is in the original Perfect Dark and this is just a HD version.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 20 EmptySat 8 Aug 2020 - 13:27

That Transformer's is from High Moon was part of trilogy was rather good

Surprised you didn't go for a StarFox or something, Balla

Anyway
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 20 EmptySat 8 Aug 2020 - 18:56

Pretty much every tune from Splatoon 2 is a banger. I was very tempted to go for something from the original, but I'll leave it open! Because I was going to go for

gjones wrote:
Playing Perfect Dark Zero at the moment, and while the game itself is mostly boring, this track caught me off guard. I'm sure it is in the original Perfect Dark and this is just a HD version.
Ooh - ooh - it's just different enough!

The Carrington Institute from the original Perfect Dark. Lots of fond memories of this playing while we waited for multiplayer friends/family to get ready on the sofa. Ironically this is one time you're not shooting anything.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 20 EmptySat 8 Aug 2020 - 23:32

Hollow Knight is such a great pick, few games nail the atmosphere like that does and the music plays a big part.

Shooting on your choices:

Possibly my least favourite category this one, the nature of shooters doesn't really lend to great music on the whole. Eledees has a largely forgettable soundtrack too but this one is exactly the kind of high tempo, fantasy sounding stuff I'm after, drags out a bit at times but so did the game.

My previous shooty banger was...:
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 20 EmptySun 9 Aug 2020 - 1:23

Day 9: Music From A Licensed Game

Pizza Time!
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 20 EmptySun 9 Aug 2020 - 8:16

Pizza Time you say

I don't believe Mad World was actually in any of the Gears games but whenever I hear that song I think of Gears.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 20 EmptySun 9 Aug 2020 - 12:09

Day 8 (and a bit of 7):

This is probably my hardest day.  I just haven't played, or don't remember many licensed games; and Mas nicked the one good licensed tune I know from 8-bit week, so much so that I thought about using DuckTales HD for this one.  That feels a bit too cheaty, though, so let's go with this multimedia franchise option:

It's not great, but this is the best tune I can find from Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth's generally bobbins soundtrack.  I like the start, and I like the bit around 0:54 when the nonsense lyrics kick in.  

But heck, both Buska and Mas' choices were miles better than mine.  Buska's is 'objectively' bad music but it made me laugh out loud so it's good; and Mas' choice brings the funk.  I just haven't played many licensed games!

In fact, sod it, DSCS' music is crap:

That's it.  That's my choice.  If trailer music that doesn't appear in the game proper is allowed, so should this be.  It has a genuinely new bit from around 1:25.  It counts.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 20 EmptySun 9 Aug 2020 - 13:28

Argh, I need to be checking this thread regularly or I'll end up doing another whopper post! I'll leave my thoughts on your choices in tomorrow's update, but here's my catching up effort!

Day 7: Music from an Indie Game

Cave Story is full of chirpy and upbeat tracks, but I think On To Grasstown might be my favourite. Bounding along the grassy hills is a treat and it's just such a happy wee tune!

(also extended comments to come but tongue in cheek FU to Rum for opening the Undertale silo)

Day 8: Music from a Shooter

Halo 3: ODST is a bit of an oddity in the series considering you play as a much squishier trooper than the superhuman Master Chief. This track sort of plays into that by being so different from the usual bombast of Halo. It's a remorseful piece that plays as you walk through the ruined city of New Mombasa following the invasion by the Covenant. God, I love how it picks up at around the 1:50 mark with those strings. It's really a beautiful piece. I don't really like the change at around the 3 minute mark (it feels like a totally different piece of music) but those first 3 minutes are amazing.

Day 9: Music from a Licensed Game

God, I wish Scott Pilgrim vs the World: The Game was still available for purchase. It was a beautiful little love letter to River City Rampage. The soundtrack by Anamanaguchi is a wonderful time too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 20 EmptySun 9 Aug 2020 - 14:16

Day 9: Music from a Licensed Game

I'm choosing Strange Things from Toy Story on the Mega Drive.

This'll end up being the most technically-impressive tune any of us cover in these thirty days. How the sound producers were able to mix such a complicated and multilayered song on the Mega Drive's extremely modest sound channel is amazing. Even when I was young and when this was new, I was blown away by how good a tune it was. I used to just sit on the menu and listen to it again and again!
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 20 EmptySun 9 Aug 2020 - 14:29

Back to back Pizza related picks! Who had that in the Music Challenge Bingo? One is hauntingly terrible to the point it's kinda good in an ironic way and the other is as good 8-bit music gets *chef's kiss*.

I'll allow the inclusion of Ducktales Remastered because it is different enough and it's a great piece of music, I hope you all look forward to seeing it feature again later on in some capacity.

Like the Cave Story one, very retro sounding to match the game itself. The Halo 3 music is really good, definitely not what I'd expect from the franchise but that's a genuinely great pick, feel like there's a lot of Zelda-esque bits in there as well which helps. Does something happen at the 3 minute mark for it to change so drastically? I'd never lump those two together. The Scott Pilgrim one was great too, it's always been a game I'm gutted I missed out on and this doesn't help, some day hopefully.

There's loads going on in that Toy Story music, very impressive, as ever with the Mega Drive though it's got me comparing it to the likes of Sonic and when you look at it like that it sounds like it belongs on a later console, good stuff.

We've had double Pizza this round and now it's double Spiderman, it's no secret the best part of this game is swinging around the City and when this played in the background throughout the game, escalating in intensity as the story went on, it was just spot on. This is from the credits I think so slightly different from the in game music being that bit more epic and blockbustery.

Last time around...:
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 20 EmptySun 9 Aug 2020 - 16:27

If that Spider-Man music is the "towards the end" version, then that's bloody epic, that is.

Also: Randy Newman on a MegaDrive? Castle would be proud.

My Day 9 thing could also be a Day 8 thing for others, but I'm assuming I'm OK to pick this now!

"Yes this game is better than Doom 64. Why do you ask?"
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 20 EmptySun 9 Aug 2020 - 16:31

I will catch up on some of the other tunes in a bit - just wanted to catch up with the actual challenge first!

Day 8: Music from a shooter

I found this quite difficult because I haven't played a whole lot of shooters, or really remember the music from any of them. I ended up picking this from the (unfairly) maligned BioShock 2, because it's a good example of "oh shit oh fuck oh god" atmosphere-building music.

Day 9: Music from a licensed game

I just could not think of a licensed game I've actually played, so just did a bit of exploring on YouTube. I have absolutely no attachment to this tune from Kung-Fu Panda on the PS2 but it's quite exciting and dramatic, innit? And composed by the guy who did the theme tune for Invader Zim!
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 20 EmptySun 9 Aug 2020 - 22:33

Eledees - I felt the game lack soul and the soundtrack confirms this. Feels more like PES6 menu music

Spider-Man 2 - Well that's just bonkers. Sounds more like John Cleese doing the Ministry of Silly Walks around a backgarden, rather than a superhero title. I'm guessing this was a minigame or something?

Turtles - Enjoyed this, it's got plenty of energy

Digimon - This had a bit of the Bayonettas about it, which isn't a bad thing. It also had a bit of the Virtua Striker about it too though, which is a bad thing.

Ducktales - Yeah that's better.

Cave Story - Definitely chirpy and more 8-bitty than I expected. I should really play Cave Story.

Halo 3 ODST - This is stellar, and sounds like the backdrop to a sports team montage that was in the dumps, then turned it around went on to become world champions.

Scott Pilgrim - This is full on, even more than the Turtles tune. Sounds like the lads are back together and are about to have an all-nighter on the N64 - that happy feels.

Toy Story - This is impressive, but lacks that punch and early 90s feel of other Mega Drive favourites. Maybe it's too advanced for its own good in that respect - it sounds more like something from a DS game.

Spider-Man - That sounds like a crucial confrontation with an enemy - very thrilling

Goldeneye - HELL YEAH. The Dam music is iconic and you can even hear the clunking of metallic doors sliding closed as you negotiate your way through a chilly enemy base. But that plinking of what sounds like a triangle, to the "Bond beat" is exceptional. God I miss Goldeneye.

Bioshock 2 - I must be living under a rock - I thought this game was critically acclaimed rather than maligned. I've seen people declare their favourite game ever. I've only played the first one, but this sounds suitably on-edge and treacherous.

Kung fu Panda - What madman is uploading soundtracks for games like Kung fu Panda on the PS2? Nonetheless, it is fine, but sounds more like leftovers from the film.

Licensed game:

How about some classic Jacko, forced through a Mega Drive?

Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 20 EmptySun 9 Aug 2020 - 22:45

BioShock is people's favourites, thinking it's in my Top 25 where BioShock 2 is muh, sorry Rum
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 20 EmptySun 9 Aug 2020 - 23:50

masofdas wrote:
BioShock is people's favourites, thinking it's in my Top 25 where BioShock 2 is muh, sorry Rum

Yeah yeah, you've told me this before, and yet again I'll just post the link to this Eurogamer article which mostly covers why I think it's a great game. And I preferred both BioShock 1 and 2 to Infinite, which I thought was a bit up its own arse. But that's a whole different conversation!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 20 EmptyMon 10 Aug 2020 - 1:28

Day 10: RPG Battle Music

Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 20 EmptyMon 10 Aug 2020 - 7:36

Good to see stuff like Eledees and Moonwalker pop up. I'm glad somebody picked the pizza delivery theme from Spider-Man 2 as well, definitely needed highlighting. 

~

Day 10: RPG Battle Music

I'll link the Boss Battle theme from Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros. on the 3DS.

The time this supposedly takes to complete completely put me off the game - I'd maybe put about eight hours into it and thought it should be getting ready to wrap up! I wasn't up for another thirty-plus hours of what I felt was only shaping up to be a good-ish game, so I've not played it since the month it launched. I basically remember nothing about it, except for this excellent RPG Battle Music. It gets really good just before the first minute finishes.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 20 EmptyMon 10 Aug 2020 - 9:07

I had a few ideas for this one but want to those games elsewhere

Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 20 EmptyMon 10 Aug 2020 - 9:36

Day 10: RPG battle music

Pleased to see that people have immediately responded with Pokemon and M&L soundtracks because there are a lot of amazing battle tunes in there (I particularly like Buska's choice). I was going to pick something from Superstar Saga but for the sake of variety I've picked the battle theme from Tales of Symphonia. I could easily have used this for day 28's nostalgia theme too - I'm not sure if I only like the tune because I associate it with a game I really enjoyed - but here we are!

Also know full well Balla is going to choose Superstar Saga before I get a chance to as it's one of about 5 games he actually likes Winky Face
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 20 EmptyMon 10 Aug 2020 - 9:50

Least Balla will have plenty for Day 13
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 20 EmptyMon 10 Aug 2020 - 15:54

The Pokémon Black/White one is a banger, no surprises there really. Dram Team Bros does a good job of sounding exactly like it should, the intensiry of a battle mixed with dreamy kinda sound. Persona 5 is a mood, I reckon I could really get in to the music in that the more I hear it, Switch version when? The Tales theme reminds me of an 80s montage which all battle themes should do really.

You know what, I don't play many RPGs, aside from Pokémon, the Mario RPGs and the occasional Final Fantasy I'm severely lacking.

I've gone with battle theme from Final Fantasy XIII, many people's least favourite but aside from the VII Remake it's the only one I've ever beat. It has two fairly different sounding parts to this but I really like how they blend together.

I was very predictable last time...:
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 20 EmptyMon 10 Aug 2020 - 17:41

Right. So.

I said I wasn't going to commit to any of the initial challenges. But you may have noticed that my picks thus far haven't deviated from the one game one post thing. I didn't realise that this would be so popular and that everyone would be good sports, so I'm gonna keep playing along as long as everyone else does.

To that end: My Hub World pick only counts as Mass Effect 1, you can't count it as the whole trilogy.

Also: I'm probably gonna count this as the big community project in the music thread this year. There's no event or release that I can think of that lends itself to a new musicathon, and this is getting more engagement than Pokemon, Mario, Smash or Nin Ten Years got . . .

FEEDBACK

Day 4:
Day 5:
Day 6:
Day 7:
Day 8:
Day 9:
Day 10:

Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 20 EmptyMon 10 Aug 2020 - 18:46

What bloody weeb made this list? RPG Battle Music?! I noticed there isn't a Sports Game Music day.

I'm not going to pick Earthbound because I've already been inconsiderate. So

In that it's an RPG I am playing
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 20 EmptyMon 10 Aug 2020 - 18:55

Surprised no Western RPG's like Witcher, Fallout, Dragon Age etc but can't really think of battle music though as fights just sort of happen
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 20 Empty

Back to top Go down

Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0
Page 20 of 39Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 29 ... 39  Next