We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users?

Go down 
+5
JayMoyles
Crumpy Andy
Jimbob
Balladeer
Buskalilly
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? Empty
PostSubject: A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users?   A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? EmptyTue 20 Dec 2022 - 1:43

VIBE WEEK

Day One
A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? Giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47byn7aln7wusyn0batg19dijioxn04i8lq3yomamp&rid=giphy

A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? Giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47i08ru57iddw01b76uskzk6yug64kybi26s6lxruq&rid=giphy

A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? Giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47zannv9lz7q6ya3qimm0lfe5ej3r06zeegcu24xtw&rid=giphy

A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? Giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47n361flydb20eff7gw4usq7lnktihlozydyqd96a7&rid=giphy

A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? Giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47e7rba9vepke2vlgufx308ermn9vbhv2tl0ncpn35&rid=giphy

A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? Giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47hih2q6vv02jzknv2wpsgutqxp2lijidgec0zf4nn&rid=giphy
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users?   A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? EmptyTue 20 Dec 2022 - 16:09

VIBE WEEK

Day Two
A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? Giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47i6zm1havwls0lewr5wenp41mv2m3i3uduv1dcg03&rid=giphy

A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? Giphy

A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? Giphy

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users?   A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? EmptyTue 20 Dec 2022 - 19:18

We've got two active music threads now, but one has started with Vibe Week and the other's started with Sonic music (that's not Windy Hill), so: this one it is!  I'll comment on Buska's picks, then try to pick a tune or two from games I played this year that fit the vibe.

Day 1: Sunny
Hard to comment on the first two of these, and Kokiri Forest: they're just classics aren't they?  Everything that could be said feels like it has been said.  Cerulean City too to an extent I guess, but if I want pure happiness from that franchise's first generation, I'm probably going here.  Is Moo Moo Meadows happier than Moo Moo farm (ignore the title), or have we just memed it that way? Suspect
Balla's picks:
- We got the best version of Sky Garden this year in the Booster Course, and it's an absolute champion.  Shout out to Waluigi Pinball on this front as well.
- Whatever I may think about Pokémon SV and especially their towns, the main one has a joyful tune that fits this to a tee.  The postgame tournament by Toby Fox has this vibe
- Honourable mention: The real world theme from Omori doesn't quite have this vibe, it's more a lost childhood happiness than outright joy, but it's lovely so I'm mentioning it here.

Day 2  Sad
First up: the best sad piece in gaming?  It might be, you know.  Lavender Town is more creepy than downright depressing, and I don't know if that's what we're going for here, even if the Let's Go version leans into sadness a bit more.  Forest of Hope is a sad banger, really plucks at the heartstrings; and of course Hotel Dusk's entire vibe is this.  Great stuff.
I saw that Nontendo* piece. Suspect Very sad though.
Balla's picks:
- Omori's real world to the fore again, this time with a good-bye-in-the-evening piece.
- Oddly Elec-Head's later levels piece has a melancholic feel to me.  

I feel like I've missed some obvious picks.  Didn't play Splatoon 3 for one thing.

*...I just saw that the title doesn't have 'Nintendo' in it!  Stuff this, I'm off into Andy's thread.

Last edited by Balladeer on Sun 25 Dec 2022 - 10:05; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users?   A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? EmptyTue 20 Dec 2022 - 21:00

Guys if this is Vibe week, why haven't I heard a single vibraphone? Mad

But uh... say something constructive to the conversation James, uh...

I do really like this idea! You don't need me to recommend other things that are "happy" or "sad" but you can't go wrong with the ol' Yoshi's Island SNES main level music, Flower Garden? OK I guess that's the title. Looking forward to the other days, providing you can all find the other topic and remember what they are.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users?   A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? EmptyWed 21 Dec 2022 - 9:44

Vibe Week runs through Christmas, I can't hope to compete...
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users?   A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? EmptyWed 21 Dec 2022 - 14:27

It's alright Andy, I'll repurpose your thread to a more noble cause.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users?   A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? EmptyThu 22 Dec 2022 - 7:58

VIBE WEEK

Day Three
A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? Giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47x12kkqyr5wofd0tzmgoutmgvaqjrzduc3sk4k7ii&rid=giphy

A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? Giphy-downsized-large
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users?   A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? EmptyThu 22 Dec 2022 - 9:59

Vibe Week is really confusing the images in the recent images section on the home page.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users?   A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? EmptyThu 22 Dec 2022 - 10:19

Balladeer wrote:
- We got the best version of Sky Garden this year
A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? Giphy-downsized-large
Quote :
the main one has a joyful tune
Quote :
The real world theme from Omori

Quote :
Omori's real world
Quote :
Elec-Head's later levels piece

Crumpy Andy wrote:
Vibe Week is really confusing the images in the recent images section on the home page.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users?   A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? EmptyThu 22 Dec 2022 - 17:19

That Arms theme, every time it has no business being as cool as it is...

And I get to keep my Gamer Card as I did that bit in Celeste.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users?   A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? EmptyFri 23 Dec 2022 - 3:34

VIBE WEEK

Day Four
A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? Giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47jwru9enrlfkabuguqnhxl3ha0n20ewb6wwthf5na&rid=giphy

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users?   A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? EmptyFri 23 Dec 2022 - 18:09

Blasphemous submission here: the Yoshi's Island DS equivalent is better than the original one. Shifty

Day 3 Falcon Punch
Starting off with three absolute classics... but enough about My Hero Academia, the tunes are top.  (That's a very doll-faced girl on the exercise bike, almost Uncanny Valley.)  The Mario tunes are decent, but for pumpy Bowser music?  Got to be this.  
Balla's picks:
- There's a standout here, and it's the boss theme from Live-A-Live.  (Squeenix is even worse than Nintendo at YouTube, so you'll have to play the left sound file on this Wiki page.)  It's amazing, and my pick of the entire year.
- It's time for Xenoblade 3 to get a go: the chain attack music is much better when listened to on its own, and not interrupting another battle theme.

Day 4: Pale
Ah so here's where we get the full Lavender Town experience.  Between that and some Majora's Mask we've pretty well got this category done already, although I'd always pick day 3 for creepy music.  Weirdly I don't find Alsos that scary, despite the distortion it still has a warmth to it.  Never played Sonic, I'm pretty sure that tune would be cursed if I had. No
Balla's picks:
- Omori rocks this throughout.  It's almost a case of, pick any given choice off the list.  Here's an example.  Here's a more subtle one.
- Frightening tunes aren't my favourites, but I do have another contribution: from Pokémon Legends Arceus no less.  Spoilers in the track title I guess!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users?   A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? EmptyFri 23 Dec 2022 - 23:00

VIBE WEEK

Day Five
A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? Giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47o7lpvacr2gq4cfqg91n3qrsm0qx9v6gruxy8s9i4&rid=giphy

Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users?   A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? EmptySat 24 Dec 2022 - 14:21

VIBE WEEK

Day Six
A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? Giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47kxmhmnj0v8pn08r2wurylrnxoig3f4v143v661lr&rid=giphy

Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users?   A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? EmptySat 24 Dec 2022 - 23:49

Balladeer wrote:
it's the boss theme from Live-A-Live.
Quote :
- It's time for Xenoblade 3 to get a go: the chain attack music is much better when listened to on its own, and not interrupting another battle theme.
Quote :
- Omori rocks this throughout.  It's almost a case of, pick any given choice off the list.  Here's an example.  Here's a more subtle one.
Quote :
- Frightening tunes aren't my favourites, but I do have another contribution: from Pokémon Legends Arceus no less.  Spoilers in the track title I guess!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users?   A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? EmptySun 25 Dec 2022 - 1:43

VIBE WEEK

Day Seven
A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? Giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47eriwow7eckji7bjwstkpc9l1bozd48fqggb8b6cj&rid=giphy

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users?   A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? EmptySun 25 Dec 2022 - 10:43

Day 5  Boo
I'm a terrible cheater: if it's going to a game over, 9 times out of ten I'll hit restart first. Embarrassed So, I don't have much experience with this bunch. SF64 is my favourite of the lot I think, because after the sad start it's definitely picking itself up to try again. MHGU and MGS3 are good too.
Balla's picks:
- Lovely little sting from Arceus, which I did actually hear a couple of times after plummeting to my doom.
- This isn't a game over or death theme (or is it?), but this late-game pick from Tinykin very much could be. I'm not going to pretend I remembered this though, needed to hunt it out.

Day 6 Dance
This is more my speed! And again, we start with three stone-cold classics. The Mario Kart pick probably is good, but I've heard it so many times it no longer means much to me. The Bayonetta one isn't my genre, but I can't deny the triumph in it.
Balla's picks:
- Pokémon SV is the obvious pick here. A classic updated.
- Can't actually find any more victory picks, but the top-left theme here has the same energy. Vibes, whatever.

Day 7 Father Christmas
Acht you've taken the obvious Christmas theme from this year. Sulk It is very nice though. Freezeezy and Cool Cool are classics, I did not expect that out of Bayo Shocked , imagine playing Circhester in Sword and having the rock-type leader in this town Laughing (more just cold than festive though), and... ah, what a note to finish on. Lovely.
Balla's picks:
- Big Christmas vibes from Legends Arceus here with yet another background song I never got to hear because suddenly wild Pokémon.
- Two from the same game, why not. This is actually from an icy area too. Bit more Silent Night than Hark the Heralds.

Merry Christmas Buska!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users?   A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? EmptySun 25 Dec 2022 - 15:27

Balladeer

Whistle
Thumbs Up!

Dance
Dance

Father Christmas
Boo-hoo
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users?   A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? EmptyMon 26 Dec 2022 - 16:01

I'm-a-catchin' up - but... the Splatoon 2 defeat theme is still too much of a banger to be really game-over-y!

Well done Mr. S. for the vibes this week. Especially the last one; really Freezeezy Peak's theme should be used on TV all the time.

Now for this week's
VIBES week
All Vibraphone, all week

No 1: Treetop Rock - Donkey Kong Country
Er, I couldn't think of a second one
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users?   A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? EmptyTue 27 Dec 2022 - 16:41

The start of that tune did feel like I'd drunk far too much and was about to fall over. Good vibraphone tunes after that though!

I've just realised that I didn't manage to mention my gaming soundtrack of 2022, 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim, once during vibe week. I know Mas has already done the best numbers in the previous thread, but here are my top two anyway: the intro theme, and my favourite 'sing when you're winning' number.

Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users?   A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? EmptySun 1 Jan 2023 - 13:30

Not really sure what vibe week is/was, but I liked

Kokiri Forest from day one
Majula from day two
Suicide Mission from day three
Alsos from day four
Quest Failed from day five
Let's Dance boys from day six
Cool Cool Mountain from day seven

I'm not sure what my soundtrack of the year 2022 is, as 13S has some great ones but so does XC3 then things such as Behind the Frame or Life is Strange Remasters

To get everyone excited for 18 days time

The number 1 Persona track according to a fan vote

Everyday's Great At Your Junes!

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users?   A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? EmptyMon 2 Jan 2023 - 13:20

For obvious reasons I won't be touching those for a good long while. I hope I enjoy them!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users?   A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? EmptyMon 2 Jan 2023 - 13:31

But they're meant to get ya hyped
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users?   A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? EmptyMon 16 Jan 2023 - 18:31

A JRPG with great music? It's more likely than you'd think. Best route, best town, best battle, and Ace Attorney-aping themes for y'all to enjoy.

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users?   A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? EmptyFri 17 Feb 2023 - 18:48

Metroid Prime then! To my mind it has exactly three standout pieces, and the rest are basically all kind of forgettable. Here are those three, then: one of the best title themes ever, Zebes but chill, and the music from when the original really became magic.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users?   A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users? Empty

Back to top Go down

A Third Thread in Which To Share Gaming Music - What does "official" even mean in an independent forum with like 20 users?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next