We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Yoshi - Eggy Arts and Crafts

Go down 
+6
JayMoyles
Jimbob
ZeroJones
The Cappuccino Kid
Balladeer
Buskalilly
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

Yoshi - Eggy Arts and Crafts - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yoshi - Eggy Arts and Crafts   Yoshi - Eggy Arts and Crafts - Page 3 EmptyTue 9 Apr 2019 - 21:28

Okay: I just got to the bit in the acorn level with the bus and I think that's enough for me to drop a recommendation on this game.  Massive great smile at that from me: I haven't played something so happy either this year or last.  I hate people who say that certain games 'aren't really games' (usually walking simulators and the like), but I genuinely think this is best enjoyed as a 'platforming experience' rather than a platformer, due to its lack of challenge and being utterly delightful.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Yoshi - Eggy Arts and Crafts   Yoshi - Eggy Arts and Crafts - Page 3 EmptyWed 10 Apr 2019 - 16:38

Balladeer wrote:
due to its lack of challenge

All games should have a hard mode this is a disgrace
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Yoshi - Eggy Arts and Crafts   Yoshi - Eggy Arts and Crafts - Page 3 EmptyWed 10 Apr 2019 - 21:17

I was actually thinking something not too dissimilar! (About this game not every game.) The YCW producer did an interview recently and discussed the difficulty of the game, saying he wanted to '[aim] for a difficulty that allows players to have fun', and I was sat there thinking, 'If people think some challenge is too much then Mellow Mode already exists. Surely either a harder difficulty and Mellow Mode, or this difficult and a Challenge Mode, would be more appropriate for this game?' I can't help thinking that Matsumiya-san has got that one a bit sideways.

Still recommended though. So cute.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Yoshi - Eggy Arts and Crafts   Yoshi - Eggy Arts and Crafts - Page 3 EmptyThu 11 Apr 2019 - 20:03

I've hit a similar point with this now, it starts slow and feels a bit bog standard but soon enough it has some great ideas that play on the crafted theme. I'd say the hard mode comes in the form of the collectibles, some of them are a right pain to get, especially in the special stages that break from the normal platform formula, something there for everyone.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Yoshi - Eggy Arts and Crafts   Yoshi - Eggy Arts and Crafts - Page 3 EmptyMon 15 Apr 2019 - 20:28

I do think that's what the hard mode's meant to be... Neutral

Anyway, you're right about the levels. I just got to the last one in Ninjarama, and damn. Grin
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Yoshi - Eggy Arts and Crafts   Yoshi - Eggy Arts and Crafts - Page 3 EmptySun 21 Apr 2019 - 20:48

Mild spoiler but

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Yoshi - Eggy Arts and Crafts   Yoshi - Eggy Arts and Crafts - Page 3 EmptyTue 23 Apr 2019 - 19:43

F**K ME YES. Having now beaten the final boss, I'm of the opinion that YCW is a good game filled with great moments. That entire level is one of them.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Yoshi - Eggy Arts and Crafts   Yoshi - Eggy Arts and Crafts - Page 3 EmptyTue 23 Apr 2019 - 20:23

Balladeer wrote:
I was actually thinking something not too dissimilar!  (About this game not every game.)  The YCW producer did an interview recently and discussed the difficulty of the game, saying he wanted to '[aim] for a difficulty that allows players to have fun', and I was sat there thinking, 'If people think some challenge is too much then Mellow Mode already exists.  Surely either a harder difficulty and Mellow Mode, or this difficult and a Challenge Mode, would be more appropriate for this game?'  I can't help thinking that Matsumiya-san has got that one a bit sideways.

Still recommended though.  So cute.

Yeah, I think this is on point. For some reason Nintendo has decided to reposition Yoshi games as some kind of alternative to Kirby, and the series has been lacking the enthusiasm and energy of 1995's Yoshi's Island for *ages*. It's frustrating. Mellow Mode should be there to let Good-Feel bring back some of the edge to the difficulty.

---

Personally I just can't get excited for this game - I've played the demo which really made it feel like by-the-numbers platforming, and I did play the penultimate level on a friend's Switch and came away distinctly unimpressed. The level design and set pieces were more inventive, and more challenging in world 2-1 of Yoshi's Island. For shame!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Yoshi - Eggy Arts and Crafts   Yoshi - Eggy Arts and Crafts - Page 3 EmptyTue 23 Apr 2019 - 20:52

It's... not an exciting game, but I don't think 'by-the-numbers' is fair. Which penultimate level is that, Fronk? I can think of two ways that might be defined.

Spoiler:

Because I think one of them doesn't really show the game at its best either. It's not Yoshi's Island level, sadly, but it has invention along with the charm.

That said, I get the feeling you're the sort of person who isn't easily swayed by charming visuals, whereas I am. If the demo. didn't at least make you smile at how cute parts of it are, it's probably not for you.
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Yoshi - Eggy Arts and Crafts   Yoshi - Eggy Arts and Crafts - Page 3 EmptyTue 23 Apr 2019 - 20:56

Yeah, I guess by-the-numbers isn't fair given there still aren't many platformers of its ilk! I guess it's just a bit like Kirby Star Allies in that for a game of its type, it just didn't stand out to me. But I think that was always going to be the case when Yoshi's Island is so damn good!

Spoiler:

The visuals are charming - but I think I'd be charmed by them if the level design depended on them more. I did see one level which had an unfolding box (I think) which is exactly what would bring a smile to my face. The soundtrack seems awful though!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Yoshi - Eggy Arts and Crafts   Yoshi - Eggy Arts and Crafts - Page 3 EmptyTue 23 Apr 2019 - 21:03

Yes, that level is fine, but I think the other two levels in that world are much better.  Especially the first one.  Given the two levels you've played I can see why you'd think the whole game is by-the-numbers, but there are better ones - ones that do feel inspired.  The charm was generally enough to carry me through the other bits, but I can see why it might not carry you.

Don't get me started on the soundtrack. (See signature.)
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Yoshi - Eggy Arts and Crafts   Yoshi - Eggy Arts and Crafts - Page 3 EmptyTue 23 Apr 2019 - 23:29

That's good to know. There was a trailer I saw (I think it was a Japanese commercial actually) of the game before release and it did look a lot more exciting than what I played, but I just can't make time to play it versus other games. Glad you enjoyed it though - I just wish Nintendo would reinvent Yoshi again. The last game that excited me was Yoshi Touch and Go, which is still a rather excellent high score chaser. Revisited that one last year.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Yoshi - Eggy Arts and Crafts   Yoshi - Eggy Arts and Crafts - Page 3 EmptySun 28 Apr 2019 - 10:23

I can comfortably say after beating the final boss it's definitely worth playing, there's some corking ideas in there and a lot more surprises than I was expecting, the demo really doesn't do it justice and this is coming from someone who enjoyed the demo.

I gave up with collecting everything though, once I had enough flowers to unlock all the bonus stages there didn't see much point after that.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Yoshi - Eggy Arts and Crafts   Yoshi - Eggy Arts and Crafts - Page 3 EmptySun 28 Apr 2019 - 10:58

Absolutely. I made the mistake of trying to collect everything on every level with Woolly World and gave up as a result. My only goal here has been to get over half the flowers in each world. That's made me go back to some levels and do a couple of the Poochy Pup missions, but nothing too unreasonable. I'd recommend it as a point to aim at for anyone else getting the game.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Yoshi - Eggy Arts and Crafts   Yoshi - Eggy Arts and Crafts - Page 3 EmptySun 28 Apr 2019 - 11:11

I'd add that the Poochy stages with the addition of the timer are different enough to make going backwards through the same level worthwhile.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yoshi - Eggy Arts and Crafts   Yoshi - Eggy Arts and Crafts - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Yoshi - Eggy Arts and Crafts
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3