We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence

Go down 
+7
JayMoyles
The Cappuccino Kid
Balladeer
masofdas
The_Jaster
ZeroJones
Buskalilly
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence   Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence - Page 3 EmptyTue 26 Sep 2017 - 11:08

Muss wrote:
In all seriousness though, the "superior" version is context sensitive to the individual consumer. Prattle about the big tech numbers as justification for one version being better than another assumes that such numbers are the be all and end all of everything for everyone; it's a language structure that dismisses any other metrics, e.g. affordability, portability, user base, etc., from consideration as if such values aren't worth mentioning, which is ironically not particularly objective.

Yup! I honestly sat for about an hour deciding what to post in response to mas or if to post that at all, I understand at the technical level that 60 is better than 30 but not all games have to adhere to this level of performance to be good. I was more annoyed about him blatantly saying it's a worse game because of it (the Switch version isn't even out yet) when the early previews say it runs fine which we can all easily see in the video I linked to earlier in the thread, surely it's the gameplay itself that matters the most here & if that feels good enough then why get caught up on the numbers?
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence   Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence - Page 3 EmptyTue 26 Sep 2017 - 12:46

Gentlemen! We are all different people with different desires and needs. The fact is that the Switch version will be inferior to the PS4 one, just as, in some respects, the PS4 version will be inferior to the Switch one. As far as I'm concerned any discussion on that point will never resolve itself and so is largely pointless. Buy the version you prefer, or both, or neither, or anything else in between or outside. Just... be friendly.

The thread will not be locked at this stage.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence   Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence - Page 3 EmptyTue 26 Sep 2017 - 15:24

I wasn't being unfriendly but if it has come off that way then I apologise & in the future I'll just not bother.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence   Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence - Page 3 EmptyWed 27 Sep 2017 - 9:27

Sorry as well, and from Muss post

In all seriousness though, the "superior" version is context sensitive to the individual consumer. All I feel I done was explain why as the customer spending my hard earned money why I won't be getting the game on Switch due to it being 720p, 30fps and not a game that I will play on the go & costing more.

Which follows what Muss was saying at the end about affordability, portability, user base, etc which I'm taking to account as well.

I don't feel I, I said the game will be blatantly worse because of it though, I played Overwatch on the free weekend on this laptop and it looks like a PS2 game and is running at 30fps but I still had fun like I would on PS4 but I would like to play a prettier better running version, hence why I play it on my PS4 not this laptop and I feel DOOM is the same.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence   Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence - Page 3 EmptyWed 27 Sep 2017 - 11:34

While we're at it, we're also getting Wolfenstein 2 and that's been making a big thing of absolutely revelling in the slaughter of Nazis, which I think is something we can all get behind right now.

KILL DEM NAZIS
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence   Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence - Page 3 EmptyWed 27 Sep 2017 - 15:14

I'm actually way more excited for Wolfenstein 2 than I am Doom as the first was an absolute belter of a game.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence   Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence - Page 3 EmptyMon 9 Oct 2017 - 2:56

The_Jaster wrote:
Anyhow, surprised to read on Nintendo life that the MP portion will only be 9Gb so I have plenty left on my sd card for that. Thumbs Up!
That's belting, I was planning on picking up the PS4 version a while back but didn't because it uses over 100GB of space so if I'll only be using 9GB on the Switch then it looks like I'll see you all in hell.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence   Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence - Page 3 EmptyMon 9 Oct 2017 - 16:08

I guess that confirms that the snapmap feature takes up the majority of the space on the ps4 version, so I guess that the Switch not having it is a blessing in disguise.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence   Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence - Page 3 EmptyTue 17 Oct 2017 - 19:36

So a new trailer for Wolfenstein II has emerged, given the game's imminent release on other formats. That link is to the NintendoLife article, by the way, not the trailer itself. That's because the trailer is overloaded with gore to the point of ridiculousness. Of the two Bethesda shootly pootlies (I'm tired, alright?), W2 was the more interesting because I'd played Wolfenstein on the SNES (and I find Doom dull). It's slipped down my Most Wanted list as a result of this.

I may not be the target audience, though. Embarrassed / Winky Face
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence   Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence - Page 3 EmptyTue 17 Oct 2017 - 20:24

That's a shame to hear as the stealth mechanic in Wolfenstein: The new order was a great thing to play about with & had much more variety in the gameplay when you compare it to Doom, now I'm not saying the first didn't have it's gore-y moments but I think that trailer has just went OTT with it.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence   Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence - Page 3 EmptyWed 18 Oct 2017 - 11:23

ZeroJones wrote:
the trailer is overloaded with gore to the point of ridiculousness . . . I may not be the target audience

See, it has the opposite effect on me. If I'm gonna play a dumb, violent game about killing Nazis I want it to go the whole hog.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence   Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence - Page 3 EmptyWed 18 Oct 2017 - 11:37

That may say something about how desensitised I am at this point, but that did not seem gory to me...
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence   Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence - Page 3 EmptyWed 18 Oct 2017 - 14:28

To be fair, Andy, I don't play this kind of game very much... but I'm not sure I've ever played a game that features the kinds of fountains of blood that emerge on killing a soul that were in that trailer. Pale I'm not saying shooting someone to death should see them simply collapse to the floor - potentially with a tiny red stain on some clothing - but a happy medium would be nice. Perhaps there should be a blood level setting in the options.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence   Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence - Page 3 EmptyFri 20 Oct 2017 - 19:52

I think there often is such a setting in most games in this day and age, so you might end up pleasantly surprised.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence   Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence - Page 3 EmptyFri 20 Oct 2017 - 20:36

*eagerly awaits confirmation*
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence   Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence - Page 3 EmptyWed 1 Nov 2017 - 18:00

Hope you've got those SD cards at the ready even you're buying a retail copy.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence   Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence - Page 3 EmptyWed 1 Nov 2017 - 19:01

Hmm.....that's like half of what I have on my current SD card.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence   Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence - Page 3 EmptyThu 2 Nov 2017 - 9:57

Then add something like LA Noire into the mix which is 14gb download even physically and the month of November alone could fill up a lot of SD Cards.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence   Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence - Page 3 EmptySat 4 Nov 2017 - 22:46

It's a fair bit in terms of the Switch but compared to other console equivalents those are both quite reasonable, kudos for the effort on the compression.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence   Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence - Page 3 EmptyMon 6 Nov 2017 - 15:08

I bought a 128GB card and it's doing me nicely - I've not had to delete anything yet. Mind you, a fair few of my purchases have been retail copies, so I can imagine that if you've gone digital only you might be having a couple of problems at this stage.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence   Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence - Page 3 EmptyMon 6 Nov 2017 - 15:13

I'm going physical for DOOM. Got a couple XBox games and, looking at it, probably Mario + Rabbids I want to shift when I pick it up.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence   Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence - Page 3 EmptyMon 6 Nov 2017 - 15:16

Aw, you should at least rattle through Mario + Rabbids - that game's worth a playthrough.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence   Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence - Page 3 EmptyMon 6 Nov 2017 - 15:35

I've tried really hard man but I have to make myself play it every time. I am gonna try and play some more before it goes, but I'm literally having to force myself.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence   Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence - Page 3 EmptyMon 6 Nov 2017 - 16:48

I remember you didn't get on with Halo Wars, I know they're a different genre but still about that strategy.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence   Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence - Page 3 EmptyMon 6 Nov 2017 - 17:33

I've thoroughly enjoyed Advance Wars, Fire Emblem and XCom in the past. I wonder if I'd have enjoyed M+R more with more free time to play it? I don't have much time for long swathes of gaming at the moment, and its never the game I'd prefer to play when I do. I remember getting mad hooked on XCom for like days at a time. If I ever have that sort of time to game this side of January, this isn't what I'd play. On the other hand, when I want a quick jolt of gaming on a lunch break or a train ride or before work, I prefer immediate thrills to strategy.

I'm also always too tired to think.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence   Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Shootybang games - id, ego, superviolence
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3