Nintendo in encouraging Emio-lation shocker

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Celeste (One Standing)

Go down 
+9
masofdas
The Cappuccino Kid
Jimbob
JayMoyles
Balladeer
The_Jaster
Crumpy Andy
Buskalilly
ZeroJones
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

Celeste (One Standing) - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celeste (One Standing)   Celeste (One Standing) - Page 5 EmptySat 21 Mar 2020 - 16:00

Owen Wilson can do one.

Glad to see you're enjoying it Muss! I've never played SMB, but it definitely sounds like the platforming of both of them ticks the same boxes. Very different aesthetics, of course.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Celeste (One Standing)   Celeste (One Standing) - Page 5 EmptyMon 23 Mar 2020 - 23:44

Aye, the wall sliding/wall jumping really does remind me of SMB, thinking about it. I think I was more frustrated in SMB compared to Celeste, though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Celeste (One Standing)   Celeste (One Standing) - Page 5 EmptyTue 24 Mar 2020 - 11:29

Very happy to see you enjoying it Muss!

SMB has a lot more momentum/less air control than celeste, and Mario is much slippier when running. He can also jump a lot further I think. Celeste's wall climbing/jumping is a lot more controlled and deliberate than Mario
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Celeste (One Standing)   Celeste (One Standing) - Page 5 EmptyTue 24 Mar 2020 - 14:36

SMB means Super Meat Boy in this case. Need to read the previous page OR. Razz

Plot Twist:
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Celeste (One Standing)   Celeste (One Standing) - Page 5 EmptyFri 27 Mar 2020 - 16:07

Right so I finished another two chapters last night. Chapter 2 was difficult! But that might have something to do with me forgetting that you could cling to walls Laughing Super accidental hard mode.

I think I enjoyed chapter 3 more. Some nice little story bits, a good boss battle and plenty of places to explore.

I'm still getting the hang of things (see forgetting to cling to walls) but am very much still enjoying the game. Unlike Super Meat Boy every chapter is a proper level rather than a small stage, which is nice. Still there is a part of me that wants to see some sort of time lapse with all my deaths and the one success after each screen as with Super Meat Boy. I think OR is right to point out that momentum is much less of a thing in Celeste than Meat boy (or mario, or both?) and that's one of the things I'm still getting my head around. My instincts are telling me to treat this the other games. Equally, I seem to naturally point my directional stick diagonally whenever I move in games. Probably to do with the way I hold controllers, but this has the unfortunate tendency of making my lateral movements a little more vertical than I'd like!

Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Celeste (One Standing)   Celeste (One Standing) - Page 5 EmptyFri 27 Mar 2020 - 16:46

It's been a while since I played but I remember it just handles momentum a bit differently to those games, as you should see the little boost jumps that speedrunners can do in this game.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Celeste (One Standing)   Celeste (One Standing) - Page 5 EmptyFri 27 Mar 2020 - 17:15

Balladeer wrote:
SMB means Super Meat Boy in this case. Need to read the previous page OR. Razz

Plot Twist:

I did read the previous page, SMB still just reads as Super Mario Bros to me! I think it's fair that Nintendo have laid claim to that acronym Razz

Super Meat Boy is also a lot slippier than Celeste though so I'm not completely wrong
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Celeste (One Standing)   Celeste (One Standing) - Page 5 EmptyFri 27 Mar 2020 - 18:46

The_Jaster wrote:
It's been a while since I played but I remember it just handles momentum a bit differently to those games, as you should see the little boost jumps that speedrunners can do in this game.

Yeah I think this is accurate. There's definitely momentum, it's just of a different sort than a lot of other platformers. In a game that's about fine margins of error it stands out but it's not a bad thing at all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Celeste (One Standing)   Celeste (One Standing) - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Celeste (One Standing)
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5